John Idzik Named Jets GM - MERGED

fti1422

Tannenbaum's major problem was his arrogance. He convinced himself he was finally one of the cool kids, and he ran the franchise that way, with a false confidence that got him trampled by every coach, opposing GM, and agent that crossed his path. Hopefully Idzik is smart enough to realize that bringing in experienced hands to help him run the team doesn't make him look weak.

What happens to the scouting department will tell you all you need to know about this hire. If there is no changes I'll be VERY worried.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why is this any different that Tannenbaum?

He's a business guy, not a football guy.

Lets just disregard the fact that he not only grew up around football, played football and did some work in pro-personnel. Even if he had the exact same resume as Tanny, if for the only fact that he realizes he is Rex's boss, isn't a yes man and leans on the personnel guys he has or puts in place, then he's instantly better than Tanny already. Whenever someone or thing doesn't work out, people immediately want the opposite and expect it to work. Tanny didn't fail just because he was an accountant, he failed because he wasn't particularly good at knowing who to lean on to make up for his deficiencies. People in charge aren't always the best and brightest, but those who know how to use the best and brightest at their disposal.

What happens to the scouting department will tell you all you need to know about this hire. If there is no changes I'll be VERY worried.

I would imagine there won't be much change immediately, but over the course of a calendar year, I'm sure we'll be seeing some major changes. I doubt Idzik would be rash enough to fire an entire staff that he hasn't even had time to evaluate. I'm with you, I hope Bradway and some get the can, but I'm sure there's some people on the staff worth retaining.

I wouldn't expect any major changes prior to the draft. Maybe a couple of guys brought on but little else. Teams don't let their guys walk this close to the draft and that goes for both the guys Idzik would want to hire and the guys the Jets currently have who have been scouting this upcoming class for a long time now. I'd expect Bradway & Co. to get the boot soon after that though, but we'll see.

I would imagine there won't be much change immediately, but over the course of a calendar year, I'm sure we'll be seeing some major changes. I doubt Idzik would be rash enough to fire an entire staff that he hasn't even had time to evaluate. I'm with you, I hope Bradway and some get the can, but I'm sure there's some people on the staff worth retaining.

If that's the case it's pretty much identical to letting Tannenbaum make the draft pick. It's going to be the same people evaluating the players. And thats a disaster.

If that's the case it's pretty much identical to letting Tannenbaum make the draft pick. It's going to be the same people evaluating the players. And thats a disaster.

I'm really hoping Idzik sees this draft as his chance to put his players in place and trades down. Recently, the Seahawks have put a premium on drafting brawlers, even if it means they're not the best athletes.

Idzik’s spent the past six seasons in Seattle and his responsibilities with the Seahawks were “Idzik oversees player negotiations, the team’s compliance with the NFL salary cap, player personnel transactions, all football operations budgets, staff and team contracts, team travel and most aspects of the day-to-day football operations while also remaining active in player evaluations. In addition, he serves as the club’s primary liaison to the NFL Office and represents the club at League meetings.”

So ... I guess Rex and Woody are picking out all the players ... sweet

There is no way any team could revamp their personnel dept at this stage. Any changes will be after the draft.

That's a complete media-driven myth. He came up through the ranks doing pro personnel work and was involved with the personnel side during his stint in Seattle as well. Granted, he's not a scout (which I was kind of hoping for) and also did cap/contract work for Seattle, but there's a major difference between that and someone who's done nothing but that throughout their entire NFL career. He wasn't exactly my top choice either, but the comparison to Tanny is pretty unfounded and only done in an attempt to perpetuate more Jets-related hysteria. Hopefully it works out, but if it doesn't it's not because he's Tanny 2.0.

The point is that, that it is widely acknowledged, even inside the NFL, that personnel is NOT his strength.

His strength is more on the business side.

So again, I'll ask, if our problem is personnel (which is why we ditched our previous GM), why would we bring in a new GM who strength is NOT personnel?

I'll answer my own question... because Woody Johnson is a schmuck.

Rex got even more power with this hire.

Not really, tanny had zero background in football, Idzik has plenty. Disregarding that, it's not about the staff Idzik is utilizing currently, but how he does so. It's possible that Tanny went with his own instinct or went with Rex's. Idzik has zero allegiance or rapport with anyone on the staff right now, so he's going to lean heavily on whomever is in the best interest of him and his team. Not to mention we have no idea his philosophies on trading picks etc. Just because Tanny was involved with cap and contracts doesn't mean everyone that had similar responsibilities is inherently going to act the same way he did.

Jets owner Woody Johnson on new GM John Idzik:

]“After a thorough search in which we met many qualified and outstanding candidates, it was

clear to me that John was the right choice,” said Johnson. “During his two decades in the NFL, John helped build a Super Bowl championship team in Tampa Bay, an NFC championship team in Arizona and, most recently, a team in Seattle that narrowly missed reaching the NFC championship game. John has seen first-hand what’s necessary to construct a winning team and has worked with some of the most innovative and successful coaches in the NFL, including Pete Carroll, Tony Dungy, Dennis Green, Jon Gruden and Mike Holmgren. Drawing on 20 years of NFL experience, John, working with Rex, will get the Jets where all of us want to be.”

“I am honored and extremely excited to be joining the New York Jets,” said Idzik. “It has been very enlightening getting to know Mr. Woody Johnson, Rex Ryan and Neil Glat and I am very grateful for them making me feel very welcomed as a member of the Jets family. I am eager to get started building on the foundation that is already in place.” 17 minutes ago

I have a feeling that Rex wont be able to walk into Idzik's office, put his feet up on desk and say 'Tanny, go get me x or y'.

I think the reports of a driven, no nonsense Idzik is what the Jets and a 'comfortable' Rex need.

I hope so. He has been good wherever he has worked. I am just worried that if we do not bring in a personnel guy, it will signal to me that Baby Rexie is calling the player shots. I pray that you are right.

The point is that, that it is widely acknowledged, even inside the NFL, that personnel is NOT his strength.

So again, I'll ask, if our problem is personnel (which is why we ditched our previous GM), why would we bring in a new GM who strength is NOT personnel?

Because being a GM is not about just player evaluation, if it was, then every GM would have been a former scout. It's all about how Idzik utilizes his staff. Just because Tanny failed and was an accountant, doesn't make the two inherently linked. I think we should wait and see what type of plan he has in place before we get upset with the move, because by all accounts he seems to be thought of pretty highly.

I hope so. He has been good wherever he has worked. I am just worried that if we do not bring in a personnel guy, it will signal to me that Baby Rexie is calling the player shots. I pray that you are right.

Whenever something goes wrong the natural reaction is to want to do a 180 and get the guy who's exactly the opposite of the one who failed here. If we had a string of former scout GMs who failed, everyone would be calling to hire a GM who knew how to manage his staff, delegate responsibilities and rely on those who's only job is to evaluate players.

Whenever something goes wrong the natural reaction is to want to do a 180 and get the guy who's exactly the opposite of the one who failed here. If we had a string of former scout GMs who failed, everyone would be calling to hire a GM who knew how to manage his staff, delegate responsibilities and rely on those who's only job is to evaluate players.

Right. And I am sure we have some very good scouting personnel. Our problems come from decision-making, not information gathering. The guy in charge is not always the smartest guy, but he is the guy who is ready, willing and able to make tough decisions, and not too proud to seek advice.

Apparently Neil Glat was doing the interviews at first and Woody stayed away. Regardless, I am sure Woody has heard plenty of feedback about what is wrong with this organization from whatever report he received on the first wave of interviews. The fact that Idzik was not on the original list made me think that perhaps Woody Tool had his eyes opened for him. Maybe he finally learned that his perception of the Jets and the professionals perception were decidedly different. That the sweet nothings Rex was blowing in his ear were indeed nothings. I think Idzik is somebody Hughes knew well and recommended. And I think Hughes gave Woody the straight skinny. He would have to if he expected other clubs to hire him. I hope this is true anyway

All this guy has to do to be a better personnel guy than Tanny is throw Rex out of any pre-draft meetings. If Rex wants to petition for a player, let him slip a note under the door.

What you do not want the person that said last year's Jets team was the most talented team making the draft choices

I'll answer my own question... because Woody Johnson is a schmuck.

Rex got even more power with this hire.

Considering the first sentence of this post is completely baseless, everything after that immediately becomes utter nonsense.

I was just reading Cimini's article on Idzik and I am a confused boy for it.

So this guy grew up a coach's son. He played football through college. He's worked in football since he left college, but because he's never held the title of scout there's real worries about his perceived ability to figure out who can play football? It should be viewed as a major flaw that he's learned the business aspects of being a GM because that's all the last guy was said to know?

Conor Orr@ConorTOrr

The front office behind Idzik is not expected to be overhauled, it sounds like many will stay in place. #jets #nyj

Because they are doing a GREAT job. Look how much talent the Jets have! Until the incompetent ****ing moron playing with his daddy's money sells the team we will never win anything. The Jets have to be the worst run organization in sports.

LOL ... Whatever, dude...because we all know you're the authority here.

Time will tell.

Seriously? That's your response? So sorry if you think everyone should just take your word as gold regarding fabricated claims of what you have decided everyone's opinion of him is league-wide, but it's not going to happen. It has nothing to do with me being an authority, it has to do with you being completely full of sh*t. Your own opinion could be whatever you want it to be, but when you try to pull crap like that you're going to get called out on it. If you're going to get so pissy about that, then I would suggest perhaps giving not completely making things up a try.

Conor Orr@ConorTOrr

The front office behind Idzik is not expected to be overhauled, it sounds like many will stay in place. #jets #nyj

Because they are doing a GREAT job. Look how much talent the Jets have! Until the incompetent ****ing moron playing with his daddy's money sells the team we will never win anything. The Jets have to be the worst run organization in sports.

So you want the GM to just sh*tcan the entire scouting department and void all the work that they've done in the last 9 months preparing for the draft so that he can make all unilateral player decisions come April??? Yea, that's surely the way our origination should be run.

So you want the GM to just sh*tcan the entire scouting department and void all the work that they've done in the last 9 months preparing for the draft so that he can make all unilateral player decisions come April??? Yea, that's surely the way our origination should be run.

You want the incompetent idiots who built the worst roster in the NFL giving the GM player evaluations for Free Agency and the Draft?

Archived