John Idzik Named Jets GM - MERGED

fti1422

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seriously? That's your response? So sorry if you think everyone should just take your word as gold regarding fabricated claims of what you have decided everyone's opinion of him is league-wide, but it's not going to happen. It has nothing to do with me being an authority, it has to do with you being completely full of sh*t. Your own opinion could be whatever you want it to be, but when you try to pull crap like that you're going to get called out on it. If you're going to get so pissy about that, then I would suggest perhaps giving not completely making things up a try.

I never claimed to be an authority and I never said that he didn't have personnel background and I certainly didn't insult anybody on this board with my original post like you did in your first response to me.

I merely stated that that there are many NFL insiders, those inside the league, who state that even though he has spent some time in personnel, that his strengths are really more on the "business" or "cap management" side. That is not my opinion or a fabricated claim, that is a fact. Read the rags, watch the NFL Network, do a little research. Hell, even his Seattle Seahawk job description says it: "Idzik oversees player negotiations, the team’s compliance with the NFL salary cap, player personnel transactions, all football operations budgets, staff and team contracts, team travel and most aspects of the day-to-day football operations while also remaining active in player evaluations. In addition, he serves as the club’s primary liaison to the NFL Office and represents the club at League meetings".

Now I ask you, if his strength was picking players, why has he been managing the player negotiations and salary cap for Seattle for the past 6 years instead of actually being the key decision maker on personnel?

My concern is that if the Jets don't have a strong, experienced, reputable personnel guy as their new General Manager, the franchise will be mired in the same situation they were with Tannenbaum as the GM, with Rex Ryan essentially picking the players.

And if you haven't heard, the Jets released a statement late this afternoon basically saying explicitly that Rex Ryan will have the same input he's always had into personnel, with no more or less power than he previously had.

Does that make you feel good or bad?

You want the incompetent idiots who built the worst roster in the NFL giving the GM player evaluations for Free Agency and the Draft?

We have no idea what information our scouting department has given Tanny; it was ultimately his decision to compile said information, lean on the people he trusted and make the decision he felt best. His best decisions were wrong more often than right. It was widely sourced that Bradway, for all his enormous faults, was infatuated with Russell Wilson and somewhere along the line we went a different direction. It is possible for the move of an executive to undermine all the positive work done by his staff. Just because Tanny failed, doesn't mean the entire scouting department is inept. These are some of the same guys who found Revis, Harris (his contract is what makes him terrible), Mangold and Wilk, it's just that the man ultimately making the final decision could have went against the input of some of his best scouts.

You want the incompetent idiots who built the worst roster in the NFL giving the GM player evaluations for Free Agency and the Draft?

I wouldn't expect them to overhaul the front office before the draft. I'll be disappointed if they don't overhaul it afterwards, though.

We have no idea what information our scouting department has given Tanny; it was ultimately his decision to compile said information, lean on the people he trusted and make the decision he felt best. His best decisions were wrong more often than right. It was widely sourced that Bradway, for all his enormous faults, was infatuated with Russell Wilson and somewhere along the line we went a different direction. It is possible for the move of an executive to undermine all the positive work done by his staff. Just because Tanny failed, doesn't mean the entire scouting department is inept. These are some of the same guys who found Revis, Harris (his contract is what makes him terrible), Mangold and Wilk, it's just that the man ultimately making the final decision could have went against the input of some of his best scouts.

I agree with everything you said.

My fear is that it is the head coach who is trumping everyone else's opinion and picking the players, and if that's the case, and we bring in a weak GM, nothing will change going forward.

I hope that's not the case with Idzik, but I can't help but be at least a little skeptical, especially since Woody issued a statement today saying that Rex will have no more or less power than he has had up until now.

"Only been in football his whole life? Was any of that time spent as a scout? No? Life experience negated."

All I'll say is that Rich Kotite was in football his whole life. So was Ray Handley. So was Matt Millen. Didn't make them a good coaches or GM's.

The fact he's been in the game for a long time is certainly not a bad thing, but performance, results and accountability for those results would be more important.

Has he proven that he has what it takes to do the job? None of us really know. We have to have confidence that Woody Johnson has made a good choice, which to me, does not inspire alot of confidence based on history.

But let's hope we have the right guy. and more importantly, he is given the power to "succeed" and not just play puppet to the blowhard Head Coach.

"The sky is blue."

hoo boy here come the sheep with the blue-sky theories...not even necessarily saying the sky is green, but i love how quickly 'meteorologist' has become this huge buzzword. as if we can't know the truth unless it comes from some steely-eyed Weather Man, lolz

All I'll say is that Rich Kotite was in football his whole life. So was Ray Handley. So was Matt Millen. Didn't make them a good coaches or GM's.

The fact he's been in the game for a long time is certainly not a bad thing, but performance, results and accountability for those results would be more important.

Has he proven that he has what it takes to do the job? None of us really know. We have to have confidence that Woody Johnson has made a good choice, which to me, does not inspire alot of confidence based on history.

But let's hope we have the right guy. and more importantly, he is given the power to "succeed" and not just play puppet to the blowhard Head Coach.

Again, I have an open mind and am hopeful.

IF we spend 4 of the first 5 picks on defense rather than offense, Wrecks will still be the real power player here. And that's an ongoing disaster.

As to Woody Johnson learning anything-child, please. He's a spoiled brat lucky sperm club winner who loves Wrecks because he likes all that rough hewn BS bravado. If Iszik succeeds it will be a happy accident, not because Johnson suddenly saw the error of his ways. What I know Johnson has learned is his season tciket base is about to get smaller becuase he has allowed this silverback gorilla coach to go against not merely the grain and trends but common sense of the 2013 NFL with "ground & pound" or grunt n punt or what ever. The one thing he will notice is empty seats and unpaid seson tickets. It will at least get his attention.

I wouldn't expect them to overhaul the front office before the draft. I'll be disappointed if they don't overhaul it afterwards, though.

Agreed. A GM needs people he can trust and rely on; I suspect that he'll keep some people around after evaluations, probably hungry, lower-level guys and some buddies from Seattle.

I agree with everything you said.

My fear is that it is the head coach who is trumping everyone else's opinion and picking the players, and if that's the case, and we bring in a weak GM, nothing will change going forward.

I hope that's not the case with Idzik, but I can't help but be at least a little skeptical, especially since Woody issued a statement today saying that Rex will have no more or less power than he has had up until now.

From all accounts he seems to be one of those overly-driven men, which usually means they won't let anyone get in the way of their final goal. Hopefully this equates to him realizing he's the boss and telling Rex to **** off when the times calls for it. We shall see.

Basically what we learned here today is that Rex has more power (if not all the power now) in the organization which scares the hell out of me as a Jets fan.

how do you figure? ?? Just because we didn't get someone like gamble? ?

From all accounts he seems to be one of those overly-driven men, which usually means they won't let anyone get in the way of their final goal. Hopefully this equates to him realizing he's the boss and telling Rex to **** off when the times calls for it. We shall see.

This was what everyone used to say about Tanny, then Rex came, and Tanny got the boot. Hmmmm

Albert Breer@AlbertBreer

Couple things on Jets. They told candidates GM would have power over the 53 and final say on personnel. Rex retains control over his staff.

Albert Breer@AlbertBreer

... Rex Ryan was there for second set of GM interviews. Sounds like GM won't have power to fire him in '14. Woody likely retains that power.

Albert Breer@AlbertBreer

Rex's presence at second interviews for Jets GM post notable, because for first interviews, it was just Woody, Glat and Hughes in the room.

Albert Breer@AlbertBreer

One other thing on Jets ... Doesn't sound like the GM will have Vick or any other player foisted on him. Brass aware of circus perception.

This was what everyone used to say about Tanny, then Rex came, and Tanny got the boot. Hmmmm

That just means Tanny leaned on the wrong people, we're all hoping that Idzik chooses better people to compile information and advice from. But I can see how that might get in the way of your agenda against Rex.

That just means Tanny leaned on the wrong people, we're all hoping that Idzik chooses better people to compile information and advice from. But I can see how that might get in the way of your agenda against Rex.

Rex made the calls, Tanny did his bidding, anyone who does not see that is clueless

Rex made the calls, Tanny did his bidding, anyone who does not see that is clueless

You're making my point for me. Nothing I said disputed the notion that Rex had his hand in a lot of those moves, but ultimately, since it's Tanny's name and ass on the line, it's his responsibility to overrule Rex and make the more informed decision. As long as Idzik lets Rex coach and takes his advice with a giant grain of salt, then he already is a better GM than Tanny, as far as player personnel goes. You'd be obtuse as a GM to not at least get the opinion of the man coaching your football team, but it's ultimately your decision to make the call that's best for the team, regardless whether it has the blessing of your HC.

So Tanny, Bradway, and Rex stay in some capacity. I'm not excited.

Also Seattle has been ripped in recent drafts for over reaching, things have worked out great, but hat seems more of a Carroll thing.

Tanny was fired wasn't he? I was under the impression that he is no longer employed by the NYJ.

That was my first thought.

Basically what we learned here today is that Rex has more power (if not all the power now) in the organization which scares the hell out of me as a Jets fan.

You listen to too much Francessa.

General Managers do not perform all duties within the personnel department. They are managers, and good managers surround themselves with talent. The difference-making potential of this hire will come in the days and years to follow. I'll be curious to see what he does with our scouting department, this is essentially the research department, and if Idzy has his head on straight, he'll know how to leverage research and who to trust for guidance.

The key role for a GM is to setup up a personnel acquisition infrastructure. With this comes an vision or philosophy on how team's should be built, how money should be spent, and how the draft should be approached. Idzy should bring with him an organizational structure that supports his vision. Tannenbaum had a clear vision that you spend in free agency on players that have a limited sample of productivity, or dated productivity, in addition to placing a lot of value on using draft picks to acquire players via trade or move up in the draft. Tannenbaum also believed in the folly of continued investment in a failing project, with the goal of having that project eventually become a success. Not all businessmen would make this mistake, no matter whether they have a degree in math, art or science. As of right now, we do not know Idzy's philosphy, but one would have to conclude that with all the research and interviewing the Jets did, it would have to be a different approach than Tanny.

So, to draw the conclusion that because both men had salary cap negotiations in their resume makes them the same is extremely naive. I'd go so far as to say, at the risk of sounding arrogant, that the people drawing the conclusion that one "bean counter" equals another are laborers and not managers. This isn't meant as an insult, so much as the reality that laborers typically have the mentality that "my manager doesn't work as hard as me, they are worthless" because they don't understand that a managers job isn't the same.

This ****ing sucks if true

It actually means nothing.

My company hired someone last month to run/merge my discipline with another, bringing them together as a combined service. When our company had their finalists, I was brought in to the final set of interviews as I am one of the directors. If you want successful leadership, you have to ensure that there is chemistry.

It is not essential to gut an entire department because you have to fill the seat at the top. You just have to make sure that the new boss has chemistry with the people that'll be working for them and buying into the new vision.

Archived