John Idzik Named Jets GM - MERGED

fti1422

It actually means nothing.

My company hired someone last month to run/merge my discipline with another, bringing them together as a combined service. When our company had their finalists, I was brought in to the final set of interviews as I am one of the directors. If you want successful leadership, you have to ensure that there is chemistry.

It is not essential to gut an entire department because you have to fill the seat at the top. You just have to make sure that the new boss has chemistry with the people that'll be working for them and buying into the new vision.

Can that guy fire you?

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It actually means nothing.

My company hired someone last month to run/merge my discipline with another, bringing them together as a combined service. When our company had their finalists, I was brought in to the final set of interviews as I am one of the directors. If you want successful leadership, you have to ensure that there is chemistry.

It is not essential to gut an entire department because you have to fill the seat at the top. You just have to make sure that the new boss has chemistry with the people that'll be working for them and buying into the new vision.

Poor guy.... You actually believe that bs heh?

If the guy you just interviewed doesn't like you, you'll be gone in 6 months.. Don't kid yourself and act stupid. Trust me

Can that guy fire you?

I would assume so, yes.

Poor guy.... You actually believe that bs heh?

If the guy you just interviewed doesn't like you, you'll be gone in 6 months.. Don't kid yourself and act stupid. Trust me

Do I actually believe that chemistry is a part of finding the right fit? Yes. Without question.

Could I end up gone in 6 months? Absolutely, but that would be true regardless of who they hired. That's just how things are. The point is companies like to minimize turnover, so they go out of their way to hire managers that can work with the existing directors and employees already in place. Just like what the Jets did with Idz and Rex. The only role Rex played in the interview process was compatibility reassurance. You know as well as I do Rex sitting in on the tail end interviews doesn't mean sh*t.

Could I end up gone in 6 months? Absolutely, but that would be true regardless of who they hired. That's just how things are. The point is companies like to minimize turnover, so they go out of their way to hire managers that can work with the existing directors and employees already in place. Just like what the Jets did with Idz and Rex. The only role Rex played in the interview process was compatibility reassurance. You know as well as I do Rex sitting in on the tail end interviews doesn't mean sh*t.

No they don't..... In some situations maybe,in many others they go after guys who can "fix" the department

That's a complete media-driven myth. He came up through the ranks doing pro personnel work and was involved with the personnel side during his stint in Seattle as well. Granted, he's not a scout (which I was kind of hoping for) and also did cap/contract work for Seattle, but there's a major difference between that and someone who's done nothing but that throughout their entire NFL career. He wasn't exactly my top choice either, but the comparison to Tanny is pretty unfounded and only done in an attempt to perpetuate more Jets-related hysteria. Hopefully it works out, but if it doesn't it's not because he's Tanny 2.0.

correct. he was basiclally on personell side w/TampaBay for 6 years before he got promoted to Asst GM there. Plus he has also coached at several college/NFL Europe stops which can be viewed as scout-like skills.

Really odd detail in Bart Hubbuch's story-is Polian a paid Jets' consultant or just part of the headhunter process as a one off? First time I've seen any mention of Bill Polian being anywhere near the Jets.

http://newyorkpost.com/p/sports/jets/cap_on_praise_for_idzik_move_HwSvX7D9D5tAU8MrLnpboO

"Idzik could ease those concerns by bringing in a strong talent evaluator as his assistant, which might be the plan considering former Colts GM Bill Polian — a true “football guy” — consulted with the Jets on the hire and sat in on some interviews."

Jets got a good man in John Idzik

Updated: Jan 18, 2013 10:25 PM

By BOB GLAUBER

It took nearly three weeks and what seemed like an endless series of interviews with just about every candidate imaginable. But it looks as if the Jets made the right call with general manager John Idzik.

By the time they finally found their man, eight teams already had filled head-coaching vacancies and five teams had hired GMs. The Jets were the last to make a move. But in arguably their most important football decision since the hiring of Rex Ryan as coach in 2009, the Jets got the GM they needed.

No, he's not a big-name football executive. In fact, he's hardly recognizable; as the Seahawks ' No. 2 executive behind GM John Schneider , Idzik was responsible for managing the team's salary cap and also was involved in personnel evaluations and scouting assignments.

So it's a unique resume that lends itself to exactly what the Jets need to replace Mike Tannenbaum . The Jets have plenty of salary-cap issues and need a firm hand in personnel matters that only an experienced and savvy executive can offer.

Looks as if Idzik is the man to tackle both assignments.

The resume is a good one. Idzik was with the Seahawks since 2007; before that, as senior director of football operations, he helped the Cardinals develop into Super Bowl contenders.

He came to the NFL in 1993 with the Buccaneers, spending 11 years in Tampa as a pro personnel assistant and then director of football administration and assistant general manager.

Before that, former Dartmouth wide receiver Idzik was a graduate assistant coach at Duke, concentrating on the offensive line and running backs.

So there's plenty of football experience there.

And there's also this: He's the son of a coach. Idzik's father, John, was an NFL assistant for the Dolphins, Colts, Eagles and Jets. He was the Jets' offensive coordinator from 1977-79 under Walt Michaels.

"John has seen firsthand what's necessary to construct a winning team and has worked with some of the most innovative and successful coaches in the NFL, including Pete Carroll , Tony Dungy , Dennis Green , Jon Gruden and Mike Holmgren ," Jets owner Woody Johnson said.

There are plenty of challenges ahead for Idzik, not the least of which is seeing if he can work alongside Rex Ryan , who has been retained by Johnson in what could be an awkward organizational setup.

Idzik clearly is OK with the idea of inheriting Ryan, because it was a stipulation of the job coming into the interview process. But as we've seen in the past, GMs who inherit coaches don't always keep them.

Ted Thompson in Green Bay, Mike Holmgren in Cleveland and Phil Emery in Chicago parted company with their head coaches after one season in their posts as the lead football executive. It remains to be seen whether the Idzik-Ryan relationship will last longer.

Equally pressing are roster issues, including a bloated salary cap. Look for the Jets to shed upward of $30 million in cap space by releasing offensive tackle Jason Smith, linebackers Bart Scott and Calvin Pace, and safety Eric Smith.

Quarterback will be a focus; the Jets must find an alternative to Mark Sanchez, even if he remains because of his guaranteed $8.25-million salary. Running back Shonn Greene, an unrestricted free agent, isn't worthy of a huge contract. There is a need for receiver depth. Tight end Dustin Keller's contract is up. The defense must get younger at linebacker and safety.

The problems are many and the solutions will require a steady hand, especially when it comes to personnel. Idzik must be willing to make the tough decisions, especially on draft day, and especially if Ryan is pushing for players who might not be the correct choices.

Tannenbaum too often let Ryan have his say in the draft, frequently to the detriment of the roster. So Idzik needs to set the parameters early, siding with the personnel people who spend their lives studying college players, not the coaches who look at college players for a few weeks leading up to the draft.

It won't be an easy process, but it looks as if Johnson came away with the right choice.

It had better be. The future of his franchise depends on it.

I would assume so, yes.

Do I actually believe that chemistry is a part of finding the right fit? Yes. Without question.

It is just speculation on the writers part. He could certainly fire him later. Maybe woody is just going to make Idzik earn it first. See how he does etc. if i sat on my boss's interview and he waa hired, i wouldnt necessarily feel untouchable i agree.

The problems are many and the solutions will require a steady hand, especially when it comes to personnel. Idzik must be willing to make the tough decisions, especially on draft day, and especially if Ryan is pushing for players who might not be the correct choices.

Tannenbaum too often let Ryan have his say in the draft, frequently to the detriment of the roster. So Idzik needs to set the parameters early, siding with the personnel people who spend their lives studying college players, not the coaches who look at college players for a few weeks leading up to the draft.

I very much agree with this, which is also why I'm not excited about Idzik. I'd prefer a guy whose strength is personnel, rather than a guy whose strength is administration. I'm kinda left to hope here the same thing I was hoping with Sporano on offense - that he'll bring discipline to front office, and they'll be better as a result of that discipline. It didn't work with Sporano. I think it's hard to make the final decisions on personnel if you don't personally have a strong personnel background. I'd've preferred a super scout to a super administrator.

I also think the Jets cap problems are overstated. There's a clear path to cap room starting next year. The cap problem is that Tannenbaum paid the wrong people. Lots of that was the result of listening to Rex, but if Idzik doesn't have the evaluation skills himself, he needs to listen to someone. I imagine Rex has a pretty loud voice in those meetings.

That said, I'm not angry about the pick, either. He emerged as the best of the late finalists in my mind - for whatever that's worth. I'm glad he has some football background, and I don't doubt that he interviewed better than Gamble or Ross - neither of which found GM jobs this cycle. I like that he's driven, but the key to his tenure will be the people he surrounds himself with and chooses to trust.

I very much agree with this, which is also why I'm not excited about Idzik. I'd prefer a guy whose strength is personnel, rather than a guy whose strength is administration. I'm kinda left to hope here the same thing I was hoping with Sporano on offense - that he'll bring discipline to front office, and they'll be better as a result of that discipline. It didn't work with Sporano. I think it's hard to make the final decisions on personnel if you don't personally have a strong personnel background. I'd've preferred a super scout to a super administrator.

I also think the Jets cap problems are overstated. There's a clear path to cap room starting next year. The cap problem is that Tannenbaum paid the wrong people. Lots of that was the result of listening to Rex, but if Idzik doesn't have the evaluation skills himself, he needs to listen to someone. I imagine Rex has a pretty loud voice in those meetings.

That said, I'm not angry about the pick, either. He emerged as the best of the late finalists in my mind - for whatever that's worth. I'm glad he has some football background, and I don't doubt that he interviewed better than Gamble or Ross - neither of which found GM jobs this cycle. I like that he's driven, but the key to his tenure will be the people he surrounds himself with and chooses to trust.

I think a guy who played the game, coached the game and speny 6 years in Bucs personell dept before going the admin/cap route has more talent than some are giving him.

I think he will be fine. Nice mix.

We needed a personnel guy. Just like after the loud player coach who players would "run through a wall for", Herm, we needed the no nonsense Mangenius, after who's rigid style, we needed a more player friendly coach who guys "want to play for". I'm pissed we didn't hire someone based largely on the fact that on paper he kind of looks like the opposite of what we've got.

Except for one thing. Tannenbaum's resume was really that he was friends with Parcells. He want a genius at the salary cap, as evidenced by our current problems. He ran the team like it was franchise mode in Madden. Mortgaged the future while sacrificing depth in the present. That was his error in leadership and direction, not the fact that he was on the business end of things. And yet, it almost worked, save the fact that this GM gave the Super Bowl ready team that he over paid for to a rookie quarterback with 16 starts in college at a program notorious for under performers at the NFL level. Further evidence of poor management, not simply lack of personnel experience. Then Tannenbaum went on to give Sanchez the worst contact possibly in team history. If not, he's competing with himself with Pennington, Harris, and Holmes.

Tannenbaum's problem wasn't that he was a "bean counter", it's that he was a bad "bean counter" who had a bad, if any, plan for building a team. So, the opposite of Tannenbaum is not a personnel guy, the opposite is someone who its actually good at their on paper "strength", surrounds themselves with people who are good at their jobs, especially in areas where the leader might be lacking, and most important has a good plan for the long term future of this team. That's the opposite of Mike Tannenbaum we should all be hoping that Idzik is.

Tannenbaum's major problem was his arrogance. He convinced himself he was finally one of the cool kids, and he ran the franchise that way, with a false confidence that got him trampled by every coach, opposing GM, and agent that crossed his path. Hopefully Idzik is smart enough to realize that bringing in experienced hands to help him run the team doesn't make him look weak.

reminds me of the old expression..."A"s hire "A"s..."B"s hire "C"s. Smart leaders want to surround themselves with smarter people...Dumb leaders want to surround themselves with dumber people so they look smarter by comparison.

reminds me of the old expression..."A"s hire "A"s..."B"s hire "C"s. Smart leaders want to surround themselves with smarter people...Dumb leaders want to surround themselves with dumber people so they look smarter by comparison.

This reminds of the philosophy Max used when putting together his moderation team...

I think a guy who played the game, coached the game and speny 6 years in Bucs personell dept before going the admin/cap route has more talent than some are giving him.

I think he will be fine. Nice mix.

Like I said, I'm not angry about the pick. Just not excited about it. Certainly willing to see what happens.

Tannenbaum's problem wasn't that he was a "bean counter", it's that he was a bad "bean counter" who had a bad, if any, plan for building a team. So, the opposite of Tannenbaum is not a personnel guy, the opposite is someone who its actually good at their on paper "strength", surrounds themselves with people who are good at their jobs, especially in areas where the leader might be lacking, and most important has a good plan for the long term future of this team. That's the opposite of Mike Tannenbaum we should all be hoping that Idzik is.

Definitely agree there. There never seemed to be any plan other than going after, and overpaying, the top free agent in any given year. Idzik needs to have a plan in mind, and the strength to say no to both Rex and Woody as he builds that team.

Makes me wonder how much input the GM candidates had in the OC hiring process. Wouldn't be surprised if it was brought up in interviews. I noticed that Sundquist had a positive tweet about Mornhinweg as soon as he was hired. Rex's defense and the WCO are clear types of systems, that need specific players in place to make them work. I'd like to think Idzik signed off on Marty. Given the timing, I suspect he had some say. There is a direct Idzik-Holmgren-Mornhinweg connection, Idzik's seen the WCO make it to the Super Bowl first hand.

making up stuff to fit your agenda are we

That you have a brain?

Yeah, your right, I probably should not have assumed you have a brain, or a link to it.

Sorry, go right along without your brain, I heard there is some wizard that can help you.

That you have a brain?

Yeah, your right, I probably should not have assumed you have a brain, or a link to it.

Sorry, go right along without your brain, I heard there is some wizard that can help you.

There's no need for this. If you can't make your point without insulting people, maybe your point's a little weak.

Scouts dont pick the players. How good the scouts are for any team is almost impossible to determine if you are a fan.

Yeah. How much of anything is anybody's fault is almost impossible to determine based on the information available to an average fan. One thing that's easy is that overall responsibility for organization and communication falls on the GM (unless we're talking about New England, obviously). We've had the same scouting department for twelve years. If this were as simple as we keep asking for a hammer and they keep bringing us a wrench somebody would have figured it out a while ago.

No they don't..... In some situations maybe,in many others they go after guys who can "fix" the department

Very true, i suppose every situation is different. Mine is such that we are just merging two disciplines to present them better from a sales standpoint. Less about fixing, more about image.

Regardless, I dont think it means a damn thing to have Rex sit in on a final interview just as a courtesy to set expectations and cultivate a collaborative dynamic, make Rex feel like he matters rather than looking over his shoulder. Regardless of whether he should be.

Fans, media all reading far too much into Rex sitting in. Far too much.

It is just speculation on the writers part. He could certainly fire him later. Maybe woody is just going to make Idzik earn it first. See how he does etc. if i sat on my boss's interview and he waa hired, i wouldnt necessarily feel untouchable i agree.

That's all I'm saying. It's a courtesy to have Rex sit in. The decision s made, he's jus getting some face time to set a positive tone for both guys.... Make it work.

. I'd like to think Idzik signed off on Marty. Given the timing, I suspect he had some say. There is a direct Idzik-Holmgren-Mornhinweg connection, Idzik's seen the WCO make it to the Super Bowl first hand.

100% agree...

Idzik signed off on Marty based on timing I am pretty sure.

Idzik saw Gruden and Holmgren do the WCO and the LONG term strategy for the Jets moving forward is a mainly based WCO scheme, 100% guaranteed.

Idzik will search for a WCO QB in draft and if he sees a stud this year will go with him and use 2013 as a 'rebuilding' year. If he doesnt, he will use 2014 draft and find a transtion QB who can play the WCO. Flynn can play it, but we may not want to trade players or picks to get him. Matt Moore can play it on the cheap for a year or two and he is a cheap Free Agent. With the hybrid WCO/read option system the Seahawks use, I could see Idzik going to the CFL to try and get Darian Durant (Russel Wilson clone) http://www.ridervill...er/show/id/1543 , to come here as a transition QB for us. Does Rex survive a no playoff rebuilding year? Impossible to say, we cant foresee future relationship he forges with Idzijk. If we rebuild and miss playoffs AND a solid relationship ISNT forged then 2014 Jets coach is Jon Gruden or Darrel Bevell. No other candidates, trust me, none.

With the hybrid WCO/read option system the Seahawks use, I could see Idzik going to the CFL to try and get Darian Durant (Russel Wilson clone) http://www.ridervill...er/show/id/1543 , to come here as a transition QB for us.

Being short and black makes you as much a Gary Coleman clone as a Russell Wilson clone. Durant is not even close to an NFL QB.

Being short and black makes you as much a Gary Coleman clone as a Russell Wilson clone. Durant is not even close to an NFL QB.

agree to disagree. :)

Durant is very good, I saw all his college home games live and he can play this system in NFL.

Not many thought Wilson would work, but he did , and Darian has same skill set.

That's fine, this guy stalks my posts with instigating replies constantly.

That you have a brain?

actually i responded to your post the exact same way you responded to mine but hey double standards are cool.

im sorry you feel that way though ill try to find another way of disagreeing

but i def need to find this wizard though. Is it a harry potter type or merlin?

agree to disagree. :)

Durant is very good, I saw all his college home games live and he can play this system in NFL.

Not many thought Wilson would work, but he did , and Darian has same skill set.

Wilson did not and will not work. What he did his rookie year with a life great d around him proves nothing. You think jets fans would know best.

Wilson did not and will not work. What he did his rookie year with a life great d around him proves nothing. You think jets fans would know best.

Wilson will have a long career. Will he be allpro? doubt it, but he is not a bad kid to have. he is very cool under pressure, which us Jets fans know too little about ;)

Archived