Garrard is signed

Joe Jets fan

One thing about Garrard--he wants no part of sitting the bench and isn't afraid to say so. If Rex pulls his coddle-Mark BS, Garrard is going right to Mehta. Should be fun.

No worries. If Garrard doesn't go to Mehta, then we can rely on Mehta to go to Mehta on Garrard's behalf.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For what we were willing to pay, Garrard is better than you could expect. We get a starting level QB at what you would pay a low level backup. Garrard wants a chance to start and probably took less to get here and get to work.

Starting level is a stretch. If Garrard somehow wins the job he is still a bottom 5 QB in the league who has thrown a ball in 3 years and is 35 years old on a bum knee and bad back.

77% of arguments are won using made-up statistics. 

No made up statistics needed to know that Garrard is a 35 year old QB who has spent the past two NFL seasons not being on any team due to back and knee injuries.   He's been an NFL QB since 2002.   You do the math.

In what should be 11 NFL seasons (176 total games played),  he's only played in 86.  

That's a guy who has only played in 49 percent of total games he could have played in over his NFL career.  

You could then make the excuse that the last 2 seasons he's played in 0 games.  But then you're just making excuses.  If he pulled a Ricky Williams and went to smoke with Lenny Kravitz, that's one thing,  but the guy wasn't even healthy enough to be on some teams PUP list.  

The reality is over his career, he's played in less than 50 percent of the games he could have played in.  Great, discount the last two seasons and suddenly his percentage shoots up to 60 percent.    So over the guys career, if you discount the last two seasons, he's still only managed to play in less than 60 percent of his games.    And that's discounting the fact he's missed 32 games over the past two years because he's been injured.

That's not made up stats, that's just who the guy is.

Good signing. Nothing to lose.

I think Garrard would be a perfect facilitator for this team, and think the coaches will build a perfect something around him to help him with facilitating the plays to facilitate the wins we need to succeed, relative to he coaching.

Facilitate.

Good signing. Nothing to lose.

I think Garrard would be a perfect facilitator for this team, and think the coaches will build a perfect something around him to help him with facilitating the plays to facilitate the wins we need to succeed, relative to he coaching.

Facilitate.

I do agree there is nothing to lose.  He's cheap.  He'll force Sanchez to actually work.

In the end, there's a good possibility Sanchez is the starter again though.

I do agree there is nothing to lose.  He's cheap.  He'll force Sanchez to actually work.

In the end, there's a good possibility Sanchez is the starter again though.

Yup. Who cares though... I look at it like this, Sanchez is too talented to be as bad as he was last year again. Plus, coaches matter more than the players executing and Marty Morningwood >>>>> Tony Soprano.

I don't know what I think about Marty.  Tony sucked, but everybody thought he was an improvement over Brian.  And we saw how that worked out.

I do think Sanchez has something to prove.  This is where the 'rebuild' motto that many people throw out there doesn't work.  

Sanchez essentially is done with the Jets after this year.  It seems Rex is done after this year.   The team can sugarcoat whatever they want, the reality is these guys are still here because of contracts and money.  Nothing more.     

So knowing they are on their last legs, Sanchez has got to be better than last season.  Like I said before, Alex Smith was worse than Sanchez.  He was being chased out of town.  He was a bust.  A bust far worse than Sanchez.   People called Alex Smith a bust.  Nobody really calls Sanchez a bust. True #1 vs #5, but that's just semantics.      If Sanchez is just an avg QB and Rex coaches up the defense,  it's easy to get to 9-7 in the NFL these days.  The Jets original playoff run with Sanchez and Rex kind of says that. The Seahawks at 7-9 and winning a playoff game say that.  

This is my major concern.    If the Jets go 8-8 next year and dump Rex and Sanchez, what is the plan for the future?  Forever an 8-8 team like the Jets really have been for an eternity now.  Because with a new staff and a new rookie/young QB, it's one of those start over from scratch themes.  

No made up statistics needed to know that Garrard is a 35 year old QB who has spent the past two NFL seasons not being on any team due to back and knee injuries.   He's been an NFL QB since 2002.   You do the math.

In what should be 11 NFL seasons (176 total games played),  he's only played in 86.  

That's a guy who has only played in 49 percent of total games he could have played in over his NFL career.  

You could then make the excuse that the last 2 seasons he's played in 0 games.  But then you're just making excuses.  If he pulled a Ricky Williams and went to smoke with Lenny Kravitz, that's one thing,  but the guy wasn't even healthy enough to be on some teams PUP list.  

The reality is over his career, he's played in less than 50 percent of the games he could have played in.  Great, discount the last two seasons and suddenly his percentage shoots up to 60 percent.    So over the guys career, if you discount the last two seasons, he's still only managed to play in less than 60 percent of his games.    And that's discounting the fact he's missed 32 games over the past two years because he's been injured.

hahaa, come on dude.  You said he probably has 60 percent chance to not get through training camp and probably has 90 percent chance to not finish the season.

That is "probably math", which means you made it up.  If not, please share the link you have to outsource the future.

------------------------------------------------

BTW, that 77% line is one of my favorites.  

:rl:   Voodoo math.  

:rl:   Voodoo math.  

The guy's played in about 50 percent of the games in his entire career due to injury.   No need for voodoo.

He's played in 0 games the past 2 seasons. Wasn't even healthy enough to be on any NFL team as a 3rd stringer.

Pennington was a guy who couldn't stay healthy.  Nobody denies that truth.  Funny how people can't accept Garrard for who he is as a player. Can he surprise everybody like Pennington did and have one of those comeback player of the year seasons?  Of course.   But the chances of that are slim at this point.   He's missed 2 entire seasons for a reason.

The guy's played in about 50 percent of the games in his entire career due to injury.   No need for voodoo.

He's played in 0 games the past 2 seasons. Wasn't even healthy enough to be on any NFL team as a 3rd stringer.

Pennington was a guy who couldn't stay healthy.  Nobody denies that truth.  Funny how people can't accept Garrard for who he is as a player. Can he surprise everybody like Pennington did and have one of those comeback player of the year seasons?  Of course.   But the chances of that are slim at this point.   He's missed 2 entire seasons for a reason.

I didn't know anything about David Garrard aside from his being a sometimes starter on lack-luster teams.  My comment on your math was based on your statistics which were preceded by the word, "probably".  I stand by my 77% joke, but I didn't mean anything by it.

Anyway, I got more time to actually look into the argument you made.  Initially I didn't really care because it's David Friggin Garrard.  But here's what I came away with.  

Garrard was drafted in the 4th round in 2002.  Typically speaking, 4th round QBs aren't drafted for their immediate value to a team; they're considered developmental prospects, back-ups.  Garrard was no different.  But this doesn't speak to his health. 

In 2003, the year after he was drafted to be Mark Brunell's back-up, Tom Coughlin was fired...and the new GM drafted Byron Leftwich with the 7th overall pick. Typically speaking, top-ten QBs ARE drafted for their immediate value to a team.  As such, Garrard was comfortable remaining in a back-up capacity. 

(So far, two years have gone by, and Garrard's health has not been the limiting factor to his playing time)

In 2004, Garrard was diagnosed with Crohn's disease.  He lost 12-inches of his intestines but was still able to play back-up to Byron Leftwich, in fact playing with a sprained left knee in week-9.  Following the season, he decided to stay in Jacksonville.  I don't know why.  He could have tested FA, but he was happy with his situation so he stayed.  

In 2005, his 4th year in the league, Garrard got his first real opportunity to showcase his talent.  A Leftwich injury in week-11 forced Garrard into action, and he finished out the season with a 4-1 record leading his team into the playoffs.  Leftwich returned to start in the Wild Card game and lost to the Patriots.  

In 2006, Jack Del Rio named Garrard the starter in week-8.  He finished out the season 5-5.

In 2007, Del Rio named Byron Leftwich the undisputed starter in attempt to avoid a QB controversy.  However, he was so outplayed by David Garrard in the preseason, that Del Rio made the QB swap before starting the season.  DG went on to an 11-5 season, throwing 18 TDs to only 3 ints (tying an NFL record for QB rating).  This was despite missing three weeks with an ankle sprain.   

(Tally so far, 6 years in the league... missed only 3 games due to injury despite having Crohn's disease)

In 2008 post-season action, Garrard lead his team to victory over the Steelers in the Wild Card Playoff game...only to lose to the unbeaten Patriots the following week.  

That offseason he was signed to a 6 year, $60M extension.  

2008, 2009, and 2010 saw marked regression from the team as a whole.  An injury plagued O-line did no favors for David Garrard, and watched him lead them to 5-11, 7-9, and 8-8 seasons...Though his play continued to improve each year, earning him a Pro Bowl berth in 2010.

2011, marked the beginning of the Blaine Gabbert experiment.  Garrard was promised the starting job despite Gabbert's high draft status, but the faithful Jag was released before the start of the season. Despite receiving interest from the Colts, Dolphins and Raiders...Garrard opted instead to repair a herniated disk and take the year off to recover.   

In 2012, Garrard signed with the Dolphins as the favorite to start, but missed the preseason after undergoing arthroscopic surgery.  

(Final count: Garrard elected to miss the last 2 years, and had previously only missed 3 games with an ankle injury)

He's been to a pro bowl, and has playoff experience.  All things considered, I would say that this old man is pretty tough, plays through injury and can be an asset to our team on or off the bench.  

Somehow I'm managing to contain my excitement. The Jets needed another vet that was at least better than Tebow, I think they still need to find a QB somewhere in the draft this year - even if it's a career backup. Neither Sanchez nor Garrard is likely to be on the Jets in 2014.

Somehow I'm managing to contain my excitement. The Jets needed another vet that was at least better than Tebow, I think they still need to find a QB somewhere in the draft this year - even if it's a career backup. Neither Sanchez nor Garrard is likely to be on the Jets in 2014.

Truth.

Reality is, they went out and got a decent veteran to bring to camp - just like they said they would. I have no expectations beyond that, they said they were bringing 5 QBs to camp. I believe they will. What's the expression? If you throw enough sh*t at the wall, something is bound to stick?

If Garrard is healthy, Sanchez wont be starting come September.

Wishful thinking on both parts. Sanchez is going to be given every opportunity to be the starter and will go into camp as such. It's going to take a miracle for Garrarbage to not only stay healthy but to outperform Sanchez too. It's a joke really.

I think that if Garrard is healthy he starts over sanchez. we have seen what sanchez can do and we have seen what garrard can do when healthy.  Now the question will become what can he do without steve smith?

I am happy about this signing.  Garrard is a legit pro QB and not a career back up as I would have expected us to sign with our relatively little monies available this offseason.  If he is healthy is an upgrade at qb from what I saw the last 2 years from sanchize.

The only stat you need to know is that Garrard's career average QB rating is over 85 which exceeds the league average.  Sanchez's is just over 71 which is bottom of the barrel.  This is a great signing for what we invested.  If you want a sure thing, you have to pay big bucks.  We didn't have big bucks.

If nothing else, Garrard can help simply by making sure the ball is thrown to where Stephen Hill is supposed to be. It's impossible to quantify how much Sanchez stymied his receivers' production, but it's fair to say that his sucking did nothing to help Hill learn the game.

I think that if Garrard is healthy he starts over sanchez. we have seen what sanchez can do and we have seen what garrard can do when healthy.  Now the question will become what can he do without steve smith?

I am happy about this signing.  Garrard is a legit pro QB and not a career back up as I would have expected us to sign with our relatively little monies available this offseason.  If he is healthy is an upgrade at qb from what I saw the last 2 years from sanchize.

Um, the same thing he's always done without Steve Smith...who plays for the Panthers....and/or the Rams.  :D

(Jimmy) Smith, the Jaguars all-time leading receiver really wasn't that much of an impact during Garrard's playing tenure.  He retired in 2006, and did most of his ProBowl damage before DG was drafted.  

The only stat you need to know is that Garrard's career average QB rating is over 85 which exceeds the league average.  Sanchez's is just over 71 which is bottom of the barrel.  This is a great signing for what we invested.  If you want a sure thing, you have to pay big bucks.  We didn't have big bucks.

Any idea of what we invested...I mean, contract wise?

If nothing else, Garrard can help simply by making sure the ball is thrown to where Stephen Hill is supposed to be. It's impossible to quantify how much Sanchez stymied his receivers' production, but it's fair to say that his sucking did nothing to help Hill learn the game.

We draft a speed-based WR, then have him practice with Sanchez and Tebow throwing behind him. 

Um, the same thing he's always done without Steve Smith...who plays for the Panthers....and/or the Rams.   :biggrin:

(Jimmy) Smith, the Jaguars all-time leading receiver really wasn't that much of an impact during Garrard's playing tenure.  He retired in 2006, and did most of his ProBowl damage before DG was drafted.  

ooops my bad... did he go to the same probowl that garrard went to or was that later?

Jets ink Garrard, but Mornhinweg says Sanchez still starter
By BRIAN COSTELLO
Last Updated: 11:35 AM, March 12, 2013
Posted: 1:21 AM, March 12, 2013

The Jets brought in some competition for Mark Sanchez yesterday, but it sounds as if he’s still the favorite to be the starting quarterback in September.

The team signed veteran David Garrard to compete with Sanchez for the starting spot, but hours before the team announced the move, new offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg indicated the starting quarterback job is Mark Sanchez’s to lose.

“Mark will probably have just a little bit of a leg up, it would appear,” Mornhinweg said in a conference call with reporters.

The comment was made before the team announced the signing of Garrard — who has not played a regular-season game since 2010 — but one would assume Mornhinweg knew the team was making the move.

The vote of confidence for Sanchez is not going to go over well with a Jets fan base that saw Sanchez turn the ball over 52 times over the last two years, the most in the NFL. New general manager John Idzik has stressed that Sanchez will face competition this offseason for the starting job.

Mornhinweg might just realize the best the Jets can do is Garrard, who is 35 and coming off back and knee injuries that cost him the last two seasons. The terms of Garrard’s deal were not disclosed.

“I would like to have competition at that position as well as all the other positions,” Mornhinweg said. “There are a select few on this football team that have kind of earned the right to step in there as No. 1 on the depth chart, but I certainly would like competition at all the other spots, including the quarterback spot.”

Sanchez lost his starting job toward the end of last season when he was benched in favor of unproven backup Greg McElroy. Sanchez regained the job in the final week of the season after McElroy suffered a concussion.

There was speculation the Jets might part ways with Sanchez after last season, but his contract made that unrealistic. He has a base salary of $8.25 million that is guaranteed, following last year’s contract extension.

Garrard visited the Jets on Feb. 28 and sources said he was impressive. The biggest question is if he can stay healthy; Garrard spent nine years with the Jaguars before he was released in 2011 because of a bad back. He went to training camp with the Dolphins last year and competed for the starting job, but was cut after injuring his knee.

Now, can he beat out Sanchez?

Mornhinweg will be Sanchez’s third coordinator in three years, following Brian Schottenheimer and Tony Sparano, who both failed to straighten Sanchez out. Sparano was fired in January after Sanchez regressed under his watch. The 26-year-old threw 13 touchdowns and 18 interceptions in 2012.

Mornhinweg, who comes to the Jets after 10 years with the Eagles, said he does not believe Sanchez needs to be “fixed.”

“Mark’s got a lot of strengths,” Mornhinweg said. “He’s played at a high level. Our job is to get him to play at a high level at a consistent basis.

When speaking of Sanchez, Mornhinweg pointed out that he has led the Jets to some big victories, including the string of comebacks in 2010.

“He played some awfully good games,” Mornhinweg said. “It’s been just a touch scattered. That’s our responsibility. He’s proven he can play at a winning level, at a high level.”

If Sanchez is under center for the Jets, Mornhinweg feels confident he will be able to thrive in the coach’s West Coast offense.

“I’ll play to a player’s strengths,” he said. “As you know, Mark has many strengths. Everybody’s got strengths and weaknesses. Just talking generally about a player, you try to play to a player’s strengths and you try to get the weaknesses a little bit better.”

brian.costello@nypost.com

By BRIAN COSTELLO

The Jets brought in some competition for Mark Sanchez yesterday, but it sounds as if he’s still the favorite to be the starting quarterback in September.

The team signed veteran David Garrard to compete with Sanchez for the starting spot, but hours before the team announced the move, new offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg indicated the starting quarterback job is Mark Sanchez’s to lose.

“Mark will probably have just a little bit of a leg up, it would appear,” Mornhinweg said in a conference call with reporters.

The comment was made before the team announced the signing of Garrard — who has not played a regular-season game since 2010 — but one would assume Mornhinweg knew the team was making the move.

The vote of confidence for Sanchez is not going to go over well with a Jets fan base that saw Sanchez turn the ball over 52 times over the last two years, the most in the NFL. New general manager John Idzik has stressed that Sanchez will face competition this offseason for the starting job.

Mornhinweg might just realize the best the Jets can do is Garrard, who is 35 and coming off back and knee injuries that cost him the last two seasons. The terms of Garrard’s deal were not disclosed.

“I would like to have competition at that position as well as all the other positions,” Mornhinweg said. “There are a select few on this football team that have kind of earned the right to step in there as No. 1 on the depth chart, but I certainly would like competition at all the other spots, including the quarterback spot.”

Sanchez lost his starting job toward the end of last season when he was benched in favor of unproven backup Greg McElroy. Sanchez regained the job in the final week of the season after McElroy suffered a concussion.

There was speculation the Jets might part ways with Sanchez after last season, but his contract made that unrealistic. He has a base salary of $8.25 million that is guaranteed, following last year’s contract extension.

Garrard visited the Jets on Feb. 28 and sources said he was impressive. The biggest question is if he can stay healthy; Garrard spent nine years with the Jaguars before he was released in 2011 because of a bad back. He went to training camp with the Dolphins last year and competed for the starting job, but was cut after injuring his knee.

Mornhinweg will be Sanchez’s third coordinator in three years, following Brian Schottenheimer and Tony Sparano, who both failed to straighten Sanchez out. Sparano was fired in January after Sanchez regressed under his watch. The 26-year-old threw 13 touchdowns and 18 interceptions in 2012.

Mornhinweg, who comes to the Jets after 10 years with the Eagles, said he does not believe Sanchez needs to be “fixed.”

“Mark’s got a lot of strengths,” Mornhinweg said. “He’s played at a high level. Our job is to get him to play at a high level at a consistent basis.

When speaking of Sanchez, Mornhinweg pointed out that he has led the Jets to some big victories, including the string of comebacks in 2010.

“He played some awfully good games,” Mornhinweg said. “It’s been just a touch scattered. That’s our responsibility. He’s proven he can play at a winning level, at a high level.”

If Sanchez is under center for the Jets, Mornhinweg feels confident he will be able to thrive in the coach’s West Coast offense.

“I’ll play to a player’s strengths,” he said. “As you know, Mark has many strengths. Everybody’s got strengths and weaknesses. Just talking generally about a player, you try to play to a player’s strengths and you try to get the weaknesses a little bit better.”

Wow, what a complete load of nonsense.  This entire article is taking an article that was already written yesterday, then adding in something that happened after the fact, and trying to draw a completely baseless association between the two.  Besides, Mornhinweg never once said that Sanchez was the starter, simply that he likely had an advantage over his competition (which, at the time, did not include Garrard).  These writers are hitting new levels of desperation.

By BRIAN COSTELLO

I'm not sure what people expected.  They like to assume anybody but Sanchez is better, but Garrard was a guy who really had one good season  and hasn't played since 2010.  If he's healthy, great, lets see what happens.

Truth.

Reality is, they went out and got a decent veteran to bring to camp - just like they said they would. I have no expectations beyond that, they said they were bringing 5 QBs to camp. I believe they will. What's the expression? If you throw enough sh*t at the wall, something is bound to stick?

Or you end up with a messy wall to clean up.

Archived