Free Agency News & Rumors

Bleedin Green

I still say BAP in draft, not going to win in 2013, get the best players you possibly can regardless of position.

I think one of the good things about this draft is, that the BAP will often be at a need position for the Jets.

This draft seems to be rich in TE’s,  interesting pass rushers, , OL,  mid round WR’s, and mid round RB’s.  Very light top end, but some nice players later

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think one of the good things about this draft is, that the BAP will often be at a need position for the Jets.

This draft seems to be rich in TE’s,  interesting pass rushers, , OL,  mid round WR’s, and mid round RB’s.  Very light top end, but some nice players later

All positions of need, but I'd like to get more than one TE who can play now.   

According to the twittersphere, Victor Butler is making his rounds to the Steelers today.  However, unless the Jets were creating space to sign this guy, he's probably going to be too rich for us as well, as he's rumored to be asking for 5-5.5 million per season.  That's absolutely a reasonable contract for someone of his talent, I just am not sure Idzik is willing to spend a third of our freed cap on one player, even if he fills a huge position of need and could be a bargain if he turns out to be as good as a lot of people think he will be.

According to the twittersphere, Victor Butler is making his rounds to the Steelers today.  However, unless the Jets were creating space to sign this guy, he's probably going to be too rich for us as well, as he's rumored to be asking for 5-5.5 million per season.  That's absolutely a reasonable contract for someone of his talent, I just am not sure Idzik is willing to spend a third of our freed cap on one player, even if he fills a huge position of need and could be a bargain if he turns out to be as good as a lot of people think he will be.

5.5 sounds a little too rich for our blood, which sucks I was hoping to swoop in on him for the cheap.  He only has what, 7 starts? Doesn't sound like an Idzik hire.  

Barnes is a solid role player. Had my eye on him since his rookie year. Really seemed to fit in with the Ravens' attitude. I'm glad they're giving him a look.

Not sure I'm into Butler at 5 million, but I only know the basics about him. If Rex thinks he can start in his D then sure. 

Sean Smith just signed with KC,  3 year, $18M with $11M gauranteed. 

This can only help that some of the top-tier CBs are signing for reasonable contracts.  Revis has to be realizing just exactly how ridiculous his demands are. 

This can only help that some of the top-tier CBs are signing for reasonable contracts.  Revis has to be realizing just exactly how ridiculous his demands are. 

Is Reid trying to form the dream team part 2?  That worked well in Philly.

No I don't hink he does.  More then that I think someone is going to foolishly pay him

If they can play well now, or ever, is certainly a major question, but I suspect they are going with Cumberland,  the Aussie, plus a 2nd rounder

One thing I will say about the Aussie.  I never noticed him much, but my Dad did and thought he looked decent.  This was late preseason.  My Dad knows the game and while he gets the papers, he stays off the net and judiciously avoids talk radio and sports TV.  He just watches games, preseason and whatever camp footage he comes across and I think he goes to camp now and then.  He thought the guy looked decent. I found it interesting because he didn't know much about him and doesn't generally say that about players.  Of course he is looking at the guy from an UDFA perspective, but still.

One thing I will say about the Aussie.  I never noticed him much, but my Dad did and thought he looked decent.  This was late preseason.  My Dad knows the game and while he gets the papers, he stays off the net and judiciously avoids talk radio and sports TV.  He just watches games, preseason and whatever camp footage he comes across and I think he goes to camp now and then.  He thought the guy looked decent. I found it interesting because he didn't know much about him and doesn't generally say that about players.  Of course he is looking at the guy from an UDFA perspective, but still.

I actually thought, from what I saw of him, that he looked like he belonged.  Not that he was a star or the next Antonio Gates, but that he had the ability to be worthy of a roster spot for a number of years.  For someone who never played the game of football that told me a lot.  I think if brought along, he could be a guy who could possibly max out as a TE2 and possible red-zone target, which for where he came from, that's as much as can be hoped for really.

@Steiny31

Per source, Landry really wanted to remain a #Jet. After Indy offered him the deal, he brought it back to Idzik to see if he could match it.

Laron Landry is probably my favorite one year Jet everz.

Good to hear on Hayden Smith. Only opinion I have on him is that he's big and athletic, two things that generally do well in the NFL. 

No I don't hink he does.  More then that I think someone is going to foolishly pay him

I don't know, Carey Williams just signed 3yr for $17M to play in Philly.  That would buy one season and one game of Revis' reported demands. 

Steven Jackson to sign with Falcons

Updated: March 14, 2013, 5:24 PM ET
ESPN.com news services

The Atlanta Falcons agreed to a three-year contract with free-agent running back Steven Jackson on Thursday, the team announced on its Twitter account.

The Falcons had released running back Michael Turner, the team's starter last season, before the start of free agency.

As expected, Jackson voided his contract with the St. Louis Rams on Thursday, making the 29-year-old an unrestricted free agent. He said last week that he wanted to start for whichever team he signed with in free agency.

"For where I'm at, going into Year 10, I'm not ready to step back and just become a primary backup or a reduced-role guy to be part of a running back by committee," Jackson said on Sirius XM NFL Radio last week. "I still have a lot left in my tank. I still have a lot left to offer to a team. We're not talking about someone that's in Year 12 or 13."

Jackson negotiated for the chance to opt out of his contract at the end of last season with one year left on the deal.

He stands at 10,135 yards and needs 2,144 yards to equal Marshall Faulk, who Jackson replaced with the Rams, to get into the top 10.

Jackson also has 3,324 career receiving yards, including 38 receptions and 321 yards last season.

A three-time Pro Bowler, Jackson has rushed for at least 1,000 yards in eight straight seasons. According to ESPN Stats & Information, only three players in NFL history have a longer streak of consecutive 1,000-yard rushing seasons than Jackson's current run: Emmitt Smith (11 from 1991-01), Curtis Martin (10 from 1995-04) and Barry Sanders (10 from 1989-98). All are in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

-Connor Barwin is an Eagle.  smh

-Kevin Ogletree is a Buccaneer, not a bad #3 to pair with Vincent Jackson and the Muscle Hamster. 

-and Keller left Miami without a contract.  crap. If he comes crawling back after going to a divisional rival that is what he is going to get a bunch of...crap. 

-Kevin Ogletree is a Buccaneer, not a bad #3 to pair with Vincent Jackson and the Muscle Hamster. 

-and Keller left Miami without a contract.  crap. If he comes crawling back after going to a divisional rival that is what he is going to get a bunch of...crap. 

I would love to get Keller on a show me deal.  For me this is good news.

Looks like Keller is looking for 7 mill per year. I would give him a 6 mill per year deal laden with incentive clauses!

Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN

Sounds like Dolphins aren't willing to give TE Dustin Keller a multi-year deal at this point. #nyj

So the team who has been giving out crazy contracts all offseason won't give Keller basically anything, just as i've been saying. He sucks and everyone knows it except a few delusional Jet fans.

Archived