Free Agency News & Rumors

Bleedin Green

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:high five:

he wasnt cheaper though

Yeah, I guess that is the going rate at the top of the slot receiver position.   They essentially got a younger version of the same guy -- hopefully minus acting wise about foot fetishes.

Will the rebuild deniers let us know when it's safe to acknowledge that the Jets aren't planning a 2013 Super Bowl run, please?

Hold your horses T0m...we're supposedly holding Brandon Gibson hostage, and have Antwan Barnes coming in for a looksie tomorrow. 

We also sent a flirtatious text to the 3rd-string RB from the Raiders.  So, lets not jump to conclusions yet. 

Well the Saint disagree with you.

If you look at the top 10 paid NFL players,  the few guys on the list who aren't QBs play for teams who don't exactly win.

(calvin johnson, mario williams, julius peppers).  

So if Revis gets his $15 or 16 million per year lets say he becomes the 5th or 6th highest paid player in the NFL.   ANd if he goes to the Bucs, the reality is if Josh Freeman is as good as they hope and has one of those 'breakout' years,   he's a free agent next year.   He's not getting 20 mil per year, but if the Bucs wind up 10-6 and make the playoffs.. I guarantee he'll want to be paid.    

Can the Bucs afford a $16 Million per year Revis and a $12+ million Freeman?    

If Freeman sucks and pulls a Sanchez, well paying $16 million per year to Revis just means the Bucs become the Bills.  Expensive defense that doesn't win.

TELL ME BOUT DAT NINE AND SEVEN CUZ

2020 is all about the new culture Jets!

Step one:

All the cap space.

Step two:

Hot Coordinator turned elite HC.

Step three:

Draft underclassmen QB.

Step 4:

Everyone develops organically, growing together. The Jets' new culture is Green. Super Bowls galore.

Where is "Slats", his insight is usually good? What's up with the "Rex-odus", Ryan last card is gone, players don't care about playing for him as much as he thought?

Players love playing for Rex, just not at the tune of losing a few million from their paycheck. Money has and will always talk.

With the widest range... They've had the highest paid and second highest paid defenders in the past ten years with Aso and Clements behind only Peppers and Williams.

On AVERAGE, CB is the 3rd highest paid defensive position behind DE's and DT's.

You win in the trenches, traditionally, and that is where teams traditionally align their dollars after the skills.

Where is "Slats", his insight is usually good? What's up with the "Rex-odus", Ryan last card is gone, players don't care about playing for him as much as he thought?

I think DeVito is the only player they lost so far that they were really hoping to keep.

This was always going to be a very frugal offseason. Remember that the Jets need additional cap room to trade Revis. You'll see them start signing players after the first few days of frenzy pass. You may even see them hold back, or target cut players, in an effort to maximize the comp picks they get in 2014.

I think DeVito is the only player they lost so far that they were really hoping to keep.

This was always going to be a very frugal offseason. Remember that the Jets need additional cap room to trade Revis. You'll see them start signing players after the first few days of frenzy pass. You may even see them hold back, or target cut players, in an effort to maximize the comp picks they get in 2014.

Agree

I would have liked to keep Bell also.  Thought he would be cheap enough.  I'm one of the few on the board that thought Keller would work in the new O.

Looks like DL, again early in the draft, 2-4  TE 2, S 3-5  have become high needs in the draft

Agree

I would have liked to keep Bell also. Thought he would be cheap enough. I'm one of the few on the board that thought Keller would work in the new O.

Looks like DL, again early in the draft, 2-4 TE 2, S 3-5 have become high needs in the draft

I still say BAP in draft, not going to win in 2013, get the best players you possibly can regardless of position.

Agree

I would have liked to keep Bell also.  Thought he would be cheap enough.  I'm one of the few on the board that thought Keller would work in the new O.

Looks like DL, again early in the draft, 2-4  TE 2, S 3-5  have become high needs in the draft

Yup. I thought Bell might still be available after the draft, maybe they thought so, too. I've always had a higher opinion of Keller than most on the board, but they obviously made no push to keep him. His primary function was as Sanchez' security blanket, so that may say something about that.

There's a glut of safeties in the FA market, and good TEs in the draft. I think they'll be okay.

On AVERAGE, CB is the 3rd highest paid defensive position behind DE's and DT's.

You win in the trenches, traditionally, and that is where teams traditionally align their dollars after the skills.

Yes, and at peak the position has featured multiple players in the top ten most paid players in the league. That peak is extremely recent while at the same time existing longer than most would think here.

You win by having top players everywhere. The 49ers has Ronnie Lott, Charles Haley, AND Montana. The Ravens had Reed, Lewis/Suggs, AND Flacco. The Packers had Woodson, Matthews, and Rodgers. The Steelers had Polamalu, Harrison, and Roethlisberger. The Pats had Law, Seymour, and Brady. The Cowboys had

Sanders, Haley, Allen, and Aikman.

Yup. I thought Bell might still be available after the draft, maybe they thought so, too. I've always had a higher opinion of Keller than most on the board, but they obviously made no push to keep him. His primary function was as Sanchez' security blanket, so that may say something about that.

There's a glut of safeties in the FA market, and good TEs in the draft. I think they'll be okay.

Looking at what they are doing, or not doing, this would be my total guess as to their strategy. 

They were willing to spend some money on DeVito, but the kid got a nice offer that was out of their market.  Good for him, he deserves it

Resign Slauson, let Moore walk, to old, bad hip, and will get paid.  Second tier FA guard.  OL mid to late rounds. 

As you pointed out there will be a good, young TE available in the second.  Could be two very good ones to choose from.  Looks like they are interested in a second tier WR.

When all this cap juggling is is done it appears they will have in the area of $20,000,000.   $6,000,000 to settle the Revis trade.  2- 4 million for rookies.

Still leaves about 10 million.   After the draft they will go after young (late 20’s) FA’s that have upside, but some kind of story, (injuries, didn’t fit in to a particular O or D, or some other problem) to one year show me contracts, and a few older vets.  Like at guard, maybe S.

All in all, if one of the QB’s can even play the game, should still be at least competitive.  Maybe 

Archived