I am starting to despise Idzik already

Jetfan13

This is your big signing?

Jets re-sign fullback Lex Hilliard

The Jets have re-signed fullback Lex Hilliard on a 1-year contract, a person with knowledge of the situation confirmed. The person requested anonymity because the Jets have not made the move official.

The news was first reported by Pro Football Talk.

Hilliard came to the team as a replacement for the injured John Conner in October and finished the season with eight carries for 31 yards. Hilliard was also a strong presence on special teams

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would you have rather given Mike Wallace 30 mill?

Its more about losing almost our entire defense and signing Hilliard and and some guy named Gibson. I am all for cutting the fat as was stated, but how can 8 new starters on defense be expected to pick up Rex's complex scheme and perform instantly? And the one guy I wish would have left, Holmes, decides to stay. Gonna be a long torturous year.

Its more about losing almost our entire defense and signing Hilliard and and some guy named Gibson. I am all for cutting the fat as was stated, but how can 8 new starters on defense be expected to pick up Rex's complex scheme and perform instantly? And the one guy I wish would have left, Holmes, decides to stay. Gonna be a long torturous year.

I agree. Jets are better off treading water.

I'm a Rex guy, but that's his problem.  He has camp and preseason to install his system.  I don't buy this 8 new starters business being some huge problem. Both safeties were new for 2012 anyway.  Devito, Pouha, Revis and Scott are probably being replaced by guys that were there in 2012 and played fairly extensively.  I'm not huge on starting McIntyre for Pace, but he has been there and played the position plenty.  He's a worst case.  On the other side, Bryan Thomas is probably there if they want him.  

I'm a Rex guy, but that's his problem.  He has camp and preseason to install his system.  I don't buy this 8 new starters business being some huge problem. Both safeties were new for 2012 anyway.  Devito, Pouha, Revis and Scott are probably being replaced by guys that were there in 2012 and played fairly extensively.  I'm not huge on starting McIntyre for Pace, but he has been there and played the position plenty.  He's a worst case.  On the other side, Bryan Thomas is probably there if they want him.  

As far as the bold goes, it's also clearly an over-dramatization by those trying to make it seem like such a huge deal, when you consider that each of Wilson, McIntyre, Ellis and Davis were getting some starts last season in place of those guys you mentioned, all of whom but DeVito missed games last season.  It's certainly not the ideal situation, but I'm not sure it means the defense is doomed for failure (the offense is an entirely different story).

He's doing the job he has to do to fix Tannys mess.

I'm impressed that we haven't heard a peep out of the Jets the last couple weeks.  Nothing.

They're not going to let Revis or the fanbase dictate how they handle their bidness. 

This is the result of overpaying undeserving players, trading up too many times, and trading away (cheap) draft picks for veterans with expiring contracts.  

If we're going to bring back guys like Pace, the way to do it is right is to wait on it and let him see that no one's going to pay him a fortune, and then sign him for an appropriate amount.  Pace is not one of those right-out-of-the-gate signings.  He needs to see the market for his services.  And if someone else offers him $5M/year then power to him and we're better off.

But otherwise, what would you have done differently so far this offseason? Who would you have extended/signed, and for how much?

It's called rebuilding.

That's the unfortunate byproduct of the QB being godawful.  If the QB had been good, there wouldn't be a need for such a dramatic overturn of the roster or the changes would not be as impactful because a good QB can cover up for it.

Tanny and Sanchez ruined the franchise.  Now Idzik has to clean up the mess.

It's called rebuilding.

That's the unfortunate byproduct of the QB being godawful.  If the QB had been good, there wouldn't be a need for such a dramatic overturn of the roster or the changes would not be as impactful because a good QB can cover up for it.

Tanny and Sanchez ruined the franchise.  Now Idzik has to clean up the mess.

Right, this is all Sanchez's fault too, along with global warming and the Iran nuke program.

This is the result of overpaying undeserving players, trading up too many times, and trading away (cheap) draft picks for veterans with expiring contracts.  

If we're going to bring back guys like Pace, the way to do it is right is to wait on it and let him see that no one's going to pay him a fortune, and then sign him for an appropriate amount.  Pace is not one of those right-out-of-the-gate signings.  He needs to see the market for his services.  And if someone else offers him $5M/year then power to him and we're better off.

But otherwise, what would you have done differently so far this offseason? Who would you have extended/signed, and for how much?

I would have liked at least signing Landry and dumping Holmes. Im worried about the interior D-Line. DiVito was our best run stopper and Pouha was 2nd. I am glad all the lb's r gone, they were all to slow, but just give us a sign of hope. In the long run, it will all probably work out but I hoped w would at least have a shot at play-offs this year. Now Im not so sure.

I ******* love Idzik already:

1. No leaks, no whining to the papers, the organization looks 1000% more professional already and he hasn't been here four months. He doesn't care about placating Cimini or Mehta or Francesa, which is a tough thing for a young executive. Guy seems to have no ego.

2. Has handled the Revis thing like a pimp. He's been patient, quiet, and is letting the market come to him. He hasn't been bullied by his agents, and he's currently got Tampa over a barrel if they want Revis. Additionally, it takes balls to do something he knows will be unpopular without first trying to sell it through the media. Professional.

3. He's not chasing short-term gains at the expense of future maneuverability. The easy thing to do would be to chase a few name free agents to placate season ticket holders, Rex, Woody, and--again--the media. Signing Landey back would have been popular. Signing Osi Umenyiora would be popular. But it seems like he has no interest in anyone over the age of 26 who carries a price tag.

4. He's not afraid to hang Rex out to dry. Say what you want about evaluating Rex, but Vince Lombardi wouldn't look good coaching this roster. At this point, it's hard to see Idzik sign a bunch of guys to help Rex out, and unless he nails every single draft pick, Rex is going into the season with a roster geared toward 2015 at the earliest.

5. Has built cap space without tying up dead weight, other than Santonio. Cro was going to be here anyway. He could have renegotiated Pouha's deal to save money, he could have strung out a deal for Bell and/or Landry, but he's not spending a dime he doesn't have to. It wouldn't surprise me if he used his new cap space to dump a Sanchez, or a likewise burdensome contract that will cost a lot against the cap in 2013. Clean slate, baby.

I would have liked at least signing Landry and dumping Holmes. Im worried about the interior D-Line. DiVito was our best run stopper and Pouha was 2nd. I am glad all the lb's r gone, they were all to slow, but just give us a sign of hope. In the long run, it will all probably work out but I hoped w would at least have a shot at play-offs this year. Now Im not so sure.

I am a Rex fan and strangely optimistic about the team the last three years.  Uncharacteristically so.  Any chance they had/have of making the playoffs has not diminished over the last week.  We all knew going in that that the three biggest factors impacting the 2013 Jets will be:

1. the Revis situation - does he come back and play great (looks like he is 99% gone) or what picks we get (2013 picks can go a long way to helping this roster).  

2.  The draft.  Do we choose well?  Do these guys make an immediate impact?  Do we have extra high picks for Revis? and

3. Do we have a huge uptick in QB play?  This is no guarantee, but with a new OC and potential for serious competition (if from unlikely candidates) there is a decent chance of it.  Sanchez played so  poorly last year that if he didn't seem like a mental mess on the field, we could almost expect it even from him.

4. He's not afraid to hang Rex out to dry. Say what you want about evaluating Rex, but Vince Lombardi wouldn't look good coaching this roster. At this point, it's hard to see Idzik sign a bunch of guys to help Rex out, and unless he nails every single draft pick, Rex is going into the season with a roster geared toward 2015 at the earliest.

This is where you lose me, but you know that.

Doing the right thing with the roster =/= hanging the coach out to dry. What does it matter what Rex "looks like" coaching a band of misfits, if Idzik is aware of the talent level he supplied Rex, and doesn't care about the media? - like you said. If he's unafraid to do the unpopular thing by trading Revis, he could be equally unafraid of doing the unpopular thing by bringing back Rex should he judge him to be a solid coach over the course of the year.

I am a Rex fan and strangely optimistic about the team the last three years.  Uncharacteristically so.  Any chance they had/have of making the playoffs has not diminished over the last week.  We all knew going in that that the three biggest factors impacting the 2013 Jets will be:

1. the Revis situation - does he come back and play great (looks like he is 99% gone) or what picks we get (2013 picks can go a long way to helping this roster).  

2.  The draft.  Do we choose well?  Do these guys make an immediate impact?  Do we have extra high picks for Revis? and

3. Do we have a huge uptick in QB play?  This is no guarantee, but with a new OC and potential for serious competition (if from unlikely candidates) there is a decent chance of it.  Sanchez played so  poorly last year that if he didn't seem like a mental mess on the field, we could almost expect it even from him.

A lot depends on the production we get out of the draft this season. If we land a mauling guard and a back(Franklin?) who can make something go on his own...we'll have a shot to be competitive.

Holmes is costing the Jets the exact same amount of money right now as he would if he were off the team (and less against the cap).  Idzik got him to agree to a paycut, not a restructure but a paycut, that dropped his pay down to what his guaranteed salary was for this year.  Fantastic move.  As far as Landry, do you think the Jets would have been best served paying him over $6 million/year?  Because that's what it would have taken.  Pouha was old, injured, expensive and is still out there if they chose to bring him back.  So beyond that we're left with DeVito who the Jets actually wanted to bring back, got $4M/year, and on the Jets would have been on the depth chart behind Wilkerson and Coples.

But yeah, the Jets daring to sign a FB for peanuts onto a roster in which they had none is certainly good reason to despise Idzik.

Bell is the only one that could be seen as a slap at Rex/short term success IMO.  He signed a 1 year deal, so it will depend on what he got, but the rest got money that Idzik needs elsewhere to put a decent product on the field for 2013.  Bell went to play for the guy who was his position coach for the Dolphins, so I'm sure that was a factor and the Jets probably didn't want to waste the money on him when it seems that guys like Bell and Bryan Thomas will be kicking around later in the signing period.  

This is where you lose me, but you know that.

Doing the right thing with the roster =/= hanging the coach out to dry. What does it matter what Rex "looks like" coaching a band of misfits, if Idzik is aware of the talent level he supplied Rex, and doesn't care about the media? - like you said. If he's unafraid to do the unpopular thing by trading Revis, he could be equally unafraid of doing the unpopular thing by bringing back Rex should he judge him to be a solid coach over the course of the year.

I hear what you're saying and it makes sense, but I just can't envision what Rex could possibly show Idzik this year to prove he's worth Idzik tying his career to. Truth be told, outside of the DL, Rex has done a miserable job developing players, so I don't know that he's capable of scoring points there if Idzik is going to hand him a group of kids. In your view, what does he have to do? Lose by less than 20 every week?

I hear what you're saying and it makes sense, but I just can't envision what Rex could possibly show Idzik this year to prove he's worth Idzik tying his career to. Truth be told, outside of the DL, Rex has done a miserable job developing players, so I don't know that he's capable of scoring points there if Idzik is going to hand him a group of kids. In your view, what does he have to do? Lose by less than 20 every week?

I think it'll be largely behind the scenes stuff. Idzik will want to see organizational skills, he'll want to see how Rex motivates players, and he'll want to see how players respond to him. I'm of the belief that Rex is here because Woody likes him, not because of money, and I'm sure Woody has expressed his likes and concerns about Rex to Idzik. Idzik, in turn, should talk to everyone in the building about Rex, and see what kind of working relationship they all have.

Listen, if the rumor that the Jets are holding out for the Bucs first rounder this year rather than next is true, then it would seem that Idzik has some desire to field as good a team as possible this year, too.

Its too early to say how good or bad Idzik really is.

So far he has hit a few singles. Which is a lot better than the previous guy who was striking out all the time!

The real litmus test might come soon in the form Revis trade (or no trade) and may take sometime like how did he do with the draft. I would like to see how good our drafts are before i really like or despise the guy.

Huge problem?  We were 6-10 after last year, and we're complaining about not having 8 of the 22 starters who contributed to that back?  Once it's accepted that this is a rebuild, every single move made looks like a good one thus far.

As for the original post... Big signing?  That's worked well for the Jets in the past.  The Tannenbaum era was a rousing success!

hahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahaha.... We have one of the leagues worst QBs, we have no talent at RB and little at WR.  We have an aging defense that is trending downward.  We went 8-8, followed by 6-10... I wanted a super bowl this year, but then I looked at the roster and the cap space and quickly realized that wasn't going to happen.  So, here in reality, we're making the right moves to gear up for the future.

I think it'll be largely behind the scenes stuff. Idzik will want to see organizational skills, he'll want to see how Rex motivates players, and he'll want to see how players respond to him. I'm of the belief that Rex is here because Woody likes him, not because of money, and I'm sure Woody has expressed his likes and concerns about Rex to Idzik. Idzik, in turn, should talk to everyone in the building about Rex, and see what kind of working relationship they all have.

Listen, if the rumor that the Jets are holding out for the Bucs first rounder this year rather than next is true, then it would seem that Idzik has some desire to field as good a team as possible this year, too.

We're just gonna differ on this all year. I can't believe that Rex can go 6-10--bad roster or not--and keep his job because he's organized behind the scenes, or seems to relate well to the secretaries in the building. It'll be three seasons since the Jets were relevant. That's a death knell for any coach.

Also, you demand Tampa's pick this year because it seems likely their 2014 pick won't be higher than this year's #13.

I ******* love Idzik already:

1. No leaks, no whining to the papers, the organization looks 1000% more professional already and he hasn't been here four months. He doesn't care about placating Cimini or Mehta or Francesa, which is a tough thing for a young executive. Guy seems to have no ego.

2. Has handled the Revis thing like a pimp. He's been patient, quiet, and is letting the market come to him. He hasn't been bullied by his agents, and he's currently got Tampa over a barrel if they want Revis. Additionally, it takes balls to do something he knows will be unpopular without first trying to sell it through the media. Professional.

3. He's not chasing short-term gains at the expense of future maneuverability. The easy thing to do would be to chase a few name free agents to placate season ticket holders, Rex, Woody, and--again--the media. Signing Landey back would have been popular. Signing Osi Umenyiora would be popular. But it seems like he has no interest in anyone over the age of 26 who carries a price tag.

5. Has built cap space without tying up dead weight, other than Santonio. Cro was going to be here anyway. He could have renegotiated Pouha's deal to save money, he could have strung out a deal for Bell and/or Landry, but he's not spending a dime he doesn't have to. It wouldn't surprise me if he used his new cap space to dump a Sanchez, or a likewise burdensome contract that will cost a lot against the cap in 2013. Clean slate, baby.

Yeah, pretty much all of this.

Archived