Kevin Kolb

GangisGreen

No debate, no long term solutions.  I'm just looking at 2013 as a year where Sanchez is still here and still has the best chance to start.

To me having Sanchez/McElroy/Simms or Rookie  isn't really different than having Sanchez/Garrard/Kolb if those two guys can't stay healthy.  

They might stay healthy and there would be a legit competition and Sanchez might be relegated to 3rd string.   But knowing their histories, these guys haven't been able to do that the last few years.     And hoping they do stay healthy this year is like hoping Pennington could stay healthy.

I'm not sold on signing Garrard or Kolb are legit solutions to actually replacing Sanchez this year.

Why not try?  Give me the one negative.  I would rather that we try to have decent QB play than we don't get guys because of injury.  This is not like talking about siging Bob Sanders long-term.  We are discussing low money deals at the most important position on the field.  I don't even see how this is a discussion. 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why not try?  Give me the one negative.  I would rather that we try to have decent QB play than we don't get guys because of injury.  This is not like talking about siging Bob Sanders long-term.  We are discussing low money deals at the most important position on the field.  I don't even see how this is a discussion. 

Trying to me is finding some young kid in the 2-4th rounds of the draft.   Signing guys who have missed more games than played due to injury the last few years, and one guy who hasn't played at all isn't trying. That's hoping.  For fans that's great, for a team, not so much.

I honestly don't see it as a legit move to find a QB to replace Sanchez.  I just see it as a built in excuse to start him.

No debate, no long term solutions.  I'm just looking at 2013 as a year where Sanchez is still here and still has the best chance to start.

To me having Sanchez/McElroy/Simms or Rookie  isn't really different than having Sanchez/Garrard/Kolb if those two guys can't stay healthy.  

They might stay healthy and there would be a legit competition and Sanchez might be relegated to 3rd string.   But knowing their histories, these guys haven't been able to do that the last few years.     And hoping they do stay healthy this year is like hoping Pennington could stay healthy.

I'm not sold on signing Garrard or Kolb are legit solutions to actually replacing Sanchez this year.

Just did some research on Kolb.

Comparing Kolb to Pennington is a bit of a stretch.

Kolb had two concussions with the Eagles.   With the Cards last season, which just might have been the worst OL in NFL history.

Set an NFL record for giving up  8 sacks in back to back games, he suffered a broken rib which caused him to miss 7 games.

These aren’t chronic injuries like Pennington had.   They aren’t injuries that are going to affect his performance like Pennington blowing up his shoulder countless time.

Kolb has played well when given a chance, still has a pretty good upside.  Considering there is absolutely no one else out there IMO he is well worth a shot  

He is a guy who could turn out to more then a "hold the fort guy".  Don't want to give him a long term deal right now, but if we can afford him, I'd sign him

Kolb had two concussions with the Eagles.   With the Cards last season, which just might have been the worst OL in NFL history.

Set an NFL record for giving up  8 sacks in back to back games, he suffered a broken rib which caused him to miss 7 games.

These aren’t chronic injuries like Pennington had.   They aren’t injuries that are going to affect his performance like Pennington blowing up his shoulder countless time.

Kolb has played well when given a chance, still has a pretty good upside.  Considering there is absolutely no one else out there IMO he is well worth a shot  

He is a guy who could turn out to more then a "hold the fort guy".  Don't want to give him a long term deal right now, but if we can afford him, I'd sign him

Trying to me is finding some young kid in the 2-4th rounds of the draft.   Signing guys who have missed more games than played due to injury the last few years, and one guy who hasn't played at all isn't trying. That's hoping.  For fans that's great, for a team, not so much.

I honestly don't see it as a legit move to find a QB to replace Sanchez.  I just see it as a built in excuse to start him.

Then why do you care?  You can have good, durable or cheap.  Pick any two (if you are lucky).  What is the alternative?  Get a guy that completely sucks and is durable?  We have Tebow.  It's not an excuse to start Sanchez by having guys that are better when healthy.  At least Sanchez will have to outperform these guys or outlast them.  They aren't handing him the job like they have the past four years.  None of this precludes drafting a QB and drafting a 2-4 round QB and expecting him to start is almost as disastrous a plan as going with Sanchez. 

Yeah.  Actually I don't even care about long term - as long as the money is cheap enough.  :winking0001:   The trouble is that when there is nobody else out there the price goes up.  

Then why do you care?  You can have good, durable or cheap.  Pick any two (if you are lucky).  What is the alternative?  Get a guy that completely sucks and is durable?  We have Tebow.  It's not an excuse to start Sanchez by having guys that are better when healthy.  At least Sanchez will have to outperform these guys or outlast them.  They aren't handing him the job like they have the past four years.  None of this precludes drafting a QB and drafting a 2-4 round QB and expecting him to start is almost as disastrous a plan as going with Sanchez. 

Yeah.  Actually I don't even care about long term - as long as the money is cheap enough.  :winking0001:   The trouble is that when there is nobody else out there the price goes up.  

Garrard came cheap.  What, 1 million. So in reality who cares. I don't see the point, but it's not like he's costing much money and if he leaves in preseason due to another injury, I doubt it'll cost the Jets anything.    Kolb.  I don't know. He might want more money than he's worth. And he won't pull a Garrard.  He'll just sit out the season and get paid.

Garrard came cheap.  What, 1 million. So in reality who cares. I don't see the point, but it's not like he's costing much money and if he leaves in preseason due to another injury, I doubt it'll cost the Jets anything.    Kolb.  I don't know. He might want more money than he's worth. And he won't pull a Garrard.  He'll just sit out the season and get paid.

Fine.  I don't think anybody is advocating paying the guy serious money. 

It will be funny to see the responses if Sanchez is starting again because Kolb and Garrard get injured.   

People always worried if Pennington could stay healthy.   Funny how Garrard and Kolb are suddenly 100 percent healthy solutions.

As already pointed out, nobody has said this or anything close to this. If Sanchez happens to win the job having to fight 5-6 guys off then go right ahead and lets see what that means. We learn nothing by letting him beat up on McElroy and Simms.

Your exactly right, that is the trouble.

I like the idea of giving him a contract along the lines of what Daniel got.  Low base salary, but a good bonus if he passes for x amount yards, which would indicate that he won the starting job.

With the crew here he has an excellent chance to win the starting job, and earn his bonus.

Not saying he’s going to be, but I do think Kolb has the “potential” to be the starter in the future.

This would be my objection to the move. With Sanchez, Garrard, and now possibly Kolb under contract, do they avoid the QB position in the draft completely? Or are they willing to draft a QB and cut the lesser of Garrard and Kolb in training camp? If they have that willingness, fine. But if signing Kolb means ignoring the QB position in the draft, I'd rather ignore Kolb.

Sanchez, Garrard, Kolb could easily be three QBs gone from the roster in 2014. Maybe Kolb could stick as a backup. Maybe.

I don't hate Kolb. Most of the animosity comes from getting paid and then sucking, but he did fine for Marty M.

If you guys wants to be bargain hunters for the next few years until the team is Ready for the Future, then there will be interest in guys like this. It's these kind of situations that bargains come from, though there are obviously others.

EVERY team is bargain hunters. 

The idea of any sport with a salary cap is to get more production than what your dollar spends are. That is why personnel scouting and development are so important. Any idiot in the world can identify really good players and then overpay them, and feel happy with their menagerie. Look at the Jets for the last 4 years.

Right now it seems there are 2 schools of thought for 2013:

1 - We are stuck with Sanchez contract so let's try to make him successful

2 - anyone but sanchez

I am planted firmly in the anyone but Sanchez camp.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him out of football entirely before 30.  

If they are going to make a move for Kolb why not just eat some of Sanchez salary and make a trade?    This gives both players a fresh start with teams they have better chances to succeed with.   Kolb back with Morningwig and Sanchez in a much less pressure environment.   

2 - anyone but sanchez

I am planted firmly in the anyone but Sanchez camp.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him out of football entirely before 30.  

If they are going to make a move for Kolb why not just eat some of Sanchez salary and make a trade?    This gives both players a fresh start with teams they have better chances to succeed with.   Kolb back with Morningwig and Sanchez in a much less pressure environment.   

No one will trade for Sanchez. Kolb is terrible.

EVERY team is bargain hunters.

The idea of any sport with a salary cap is to get more production than what your dollar spends are. That is why personnel scouting and development are so important. Any idiot in the world can identify really good players and then overpay them, and feel happy with their menagerie. Look at the Jets for the last 4 years.

OK?

Potential Jets QB target Kolb released by Cardinals
From ASSOCIATED PRESS
Last Updated: 1:35 PM, March 15, 2013
Posted: 1:33 PM, March 15, 2013
Jets Blog

PHOENIX — The Arizona Cardinals have released Kevin Kolb, ending the quarterback's two injury-filled seasons with the team.

The team's move on Friday came just ahead of the deadline for paying Kolb a $2 million roster bonus. The team paid Kolb some $20 million over two seasons after acquiring him in a trade that sent a second-round draft pick and cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie to the Philadelphia Eagles.

But Kolb was plagued by injuries and inconsistent play in his two seasons in Arizona.

Kolb was due to make $9 million this coming season. Earlier this week, Arizona signed free agent quarterback Drew Stanton. Stanton was the backup last season at Indianapolis, where new coach Bruce Arians was interim head coach.

At his news conference announcing the firing of coach Ken Whisenhunt, Cardinals President Michael Bidwill said "I'm not ready to give up on Kevin Kolb yet," but the team wound up doing just that after bringing in Arians and elevating Steve Keim to the position of general manager.

Kolb appeared in 15 games in two seasons with Arizona, 14 as a starter.

The Jets have had internal discussions about Kolb, according to a source. This will be a “kicking the tires” situation for the Jets to see if Kolb is affordable. If his asking price is reasonable, then it could happen.

The Jets have already signed David Garrard to join Mark Sanchez, Greg McElroy, Matt Simms and Tim Tebow, who is expected to be traded or released, on the roster. Jets offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg knows Kolb from their time with the Eagles.

Last season, he lost the starting job to John Skelton but came on in the opener after Skelton was hurt to direct the winning touchdown drive against Seattle. Arizona went on to a 4-0 start with Kolb at quarterback, but in Week 6 he tore cartilage from his ribs on a broken play and never played again. The Cardinals, meanwhile, lost 11 of their last 12 to finish 5-11, costing Whisenhunt his job and bringing in Arians to try to clean up the mess of what was the worst offense in the NFL.

There was no way Arizona was going to bring back Kolb with his big contract. The only possibility seemed to be a restructuring of the deal and there was no indication the team made a serious attempt to do so.

Instead, Arians and Keim went after Stanton, signing him to a three-year, $8.2 million deal with $3 million guaranteed. Skelton and Ryan Lindley remain on the Arizona roster. The team also has made a tender offer to Brian Hoyer, who was signed late last season and started the season finale against San Francisco.

The Cardinals probably will address the quarterback position in the draft, although not necessarily with their first-round pick, the No. 7 choice overall. They could opt for an offensive lineman with that selection and go after a quarterback in the second or third round.

Arizona had expected Kolb to be the franchise quarterback the team has sorely lacked following the retirement of Kurt Warner after the 2009 season.

After the trade at the end of the 2011 NFL lockout, Kolb signed a five-year, $63 million contract with $20 million guaranteed. But he had trouble adapting to Whisenhunt's offense, Arizona got off to a 1-6 start and Kolb went down with a toe injury. Arizona regrouped and Kolb returned to lead the team to an overtime victory over Dallas, but he was sidelined with a concussion the following week and was lost for the season.

In his two seasons with Arizona, Kolb completed 58 percent of his passes with 17 touchdowns and 11 interceptions. Sacks were a big problem, especially last season, when he was sacked 17 times in consecutive games, much of it to do with a struggling offensive line, but critics said the quarterback sometimes had a tendency to hold on to the ball too long, or take off from the pocket too soon when under duress.

Last season, Kolb completed just under 60 percent of his passes with eight touchdowns and three interceptions but was sacked 27 times in six games.

With Brian Costello

But if signing Kolb means ignoring the QB position in the draft, I'd rather ignore Kolb.

Maybe Kolb could stick as a backup. Maybe.

This is almost a reason that I would bring Kolb in.  Any QB we could possibly draft this year is going to be a project and require multiple years to develop anyway...meaning no matter what we do, we'll be drafting a QB next year. I would rather allocate all of our picks to the other needs of the roster, to positions that may not necessarily require years and years to become productive.   

2 - anyone but sanchez

If its not a crazy trade I can't see a problem with it, besides we ant got crazy money. He's an upgrade on everyone else in the Building and may suprise.

Trade?  Are you guys nuts?  We can't take on that guys crazy salary.  He got cut, so it is a moot (mute ;) point, but why would we want to pay Kevin Kolb all that money?  We already have all that money tied up in Sanchez.  I don't think we possibly could take it on.  Kolb refused to restructure.  Probably because he knew he'd get more opportunity elsewhere.  

David Garrard 2013 winner of the Comeback Player Of The Year Award for his world championship winning play. Signed as a free agent by the Jets there was little thought of him even making the team. But his strong showing in training camp as well as a 5 TD first half against the crosstown rival New York Giants thrust him ahead of the pack. Mark Sanchez (Calgary Stampeders) after having been released was last seen driving his SUV north on the New Jersey Turnpike with skis attached to the roof. His fellow ex-teammate Tim Tebow had decided to leave his faltering football career behind in lieu of a new position as the preacher of the Miccosukee Methodist mega church located next door to a shopping mall. The Jets were in a tough spot having just two QBs on the 2013 roster, so it was up to Rex Ryan to decide between the much-hated by the Offensive Line Greg McElroy or take a chance on Garrard. David Garrard after having missed the two previous seasons due to injuries surprised all of the sports world by throwing a Jets team record 44 TDs with only 6 INTs that went for 4988 Yds. After winning the AFC East over the once mighty Tom Brady-Bill Belichik Patriots (3-13) and the surprising 9-7 Wildcard Dolphins Garrard put on a passing exhibition in the playoffs and the Super Bowl against the Tampa Bay Bucs. Garrard took over where the last Jets Super Bowl MVP Joe Willie Namath left off and threw 6 TDs and ran for another in the World Champion New York Jets stunning 48-17 win.It was on the podium in the Canyon Of Heroes that a strange looking fellow clad all in red, with a pitchfork and horns showed up and escorted Garrard from the stage to a waiting southbound limo. He hasn't been seen since.

Watching Skelton last year convinced me that he is the worst QB to ever appear in an NFL game.  Worse than Sanchez by a wide margin.  And, Kolb was beat out by this abortion of a QB?  The Cards stinky OL notwithstanding, how is that even possible?

Watching Skelton last year convinced me that he is the worst QB to ever appear in an NFL game.  Worse than Sanchez by a wide margin.  And, Kolb was beat out by this abortion of a QB?  The Cards stinky OL notwithstanding, how is that even possible?

This is why it's funny when people hate on Sanchez and want to bring in a QB from the Arizona Cardinals. Maybe it's an east coast thing and the only game people watched was the patriots game.    The Jets QB situation sucked, but the Cardinals situation was far far worse.  And they have Larry Fitzgerald.  ANd you're right  Skeleton sucks, but he beat out Kolb for the starting job.   Sanchez may suck, but he doesn't suck as bad as Skeleton.

It's the moves of desperate hop.  You pray  that one of these scrubs doesn't get injured and actually beats out Sanchez.  When it doesn't happen, people are pissed and complain and you wind up like the Cardinals.   Because as bad as the Jets were last season with Sanchez,  they were nowhere near as bad as the Cardinals QB situation.   

This is why it's funny when people hate on Sanchez and want to bring in a QB from the Arizona Cardinals?   The Jets QB situation sucked, but the Cardinals situation was far far worse.  And they have Larry Fitzgerald.  ANd you're right  Skeleton sucks, but he beat out Kolb for the starting job.   Sanchez may suck, but he doesn't suck as bad as Skeleton.

Oh, I still hate on Sanchez plenty and my comments were not meant as an endorsement of any kind.  Sanchez is pure, unadulterated garbage.  My question is WTF happened to Kolb?  After all, he was good enough in Philly to get the Cards to bite on his deal.  How and why did the wheels come completely off?

Oh, I still hate on Sanchez plenty and my comments were not meant as an endorsement of any kind.  Sanchez is pure, unadulterated garbage.  My question is WTF happened to Kolb?  After all, he was good enough in Philly to get the Cards to bite on his deal.  How and why did the wheels come completely off?

I think Sanchez sucks, I just don't think any of these players are legit competitors.  When you lose your starting job to Skeleton and you can't stay healthy,  you might as well just retire.    Garrard, if he's not completely done after 2 seasons out of the NFL, could be a starter on a bad team.  But the big question is can he even play, let alone stay healthy.

What happened to Kolb is what happens to a lot of backup QBs.  They get hyped up and aren't really that good.  It's easy for some backup QB to shine in a game or two with no pressure.   McNabb sucks, is benched or injured, Kolb comes in and looks like the savior.    Then he's back to being a backup and never actually lives up to the hype.     Some guys can't handle the pressure.  Some guys can't stay healthy.   Being a backup means you don't have any pressure on you. If you stink, you stink.  If you look like Montana in a game and go back to the bench, people hype you up for weeks, months years.   Hell Matt Flynn had one game where many starters were sitting and turned that into a contract.  And he lost out to a 3rd round QB.  Wilson had a great year, but in the preseason, you can't really tell he was going to be that good.

So that's what Kolb is.  He was a backup who got hyped up, and never lived up to the hype.  He never played an entire season to actually say he was good or not.    At this point it looks like he's a guy who shouldn't even be in football.  Who wants a backup that can't stay healthy for more than a game?

And think about it.  The guy who hyped him the most, Andy Reid,  shipped him off to Arizona after trading McNabb.

And when Reid had another chance at a QB as the HC of the Cheifs, did he go after Kevin Kolb or Nick Foles?  No.  He traded for Alex Smith.  He signed Chase Daniel.

Out of all the people who know and loved those QBs,  Reid is probably the guy who would fight to get them, especially if he could get them on the cheap.  Instead he left them in the past.   Thats saying something.

Potential Jets QB target Kolb released by Cardinals

From ASSOCIATED PRESS

Last Updated: 1:35 PM, March 15, 2013

Posted: 1:33 PM, March 15, 2013

Jets Blog

PHOENIX — The Arizona Cardinals have released Kevin Kolb, ending the quarterback's two injury-filled seasons with the team.

The team's move on Friday came just ahead of the deadline for paying Kolb a $2 million roster bonus. The team paid Kolb some $20 million over two seasons after acquiring him in a trade that sent a second-round draft pick and cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie to the Philadelphia Eagles.

But Kolb was plagued by injuries and inconsistent play in his two seasons in Arizona.

Kolb was due to make $9 million this coming season. Earlier this week, Arizona signed free agent quarterback Drew Stanton. Stanton was the backup last season at Indianapolis, where new coach Bruce Arians was interim head coach.

At his news conference announcing the firing of coach Ken Whisenhunt, Cardinals President Michael Bidwill said "I'm not ready to give up on Kevin Kolb yet," but the team wound up doing just that after bringing in Arians and elevating Steve Keim to the position of general manager.

Kolb appeared in 15 games in two seasons with Arizona, 14 as a starter.

The Jets have had internal discussions about Kolb, according to a source. This will be a “kicking the tires” situation for the Jets to see if Kolb is affordable. If his asking price is reasonable, then it could happen.

The Jets have already signed David Garrard to join Mark Sanchez, Greg McElroy, Matt Simms and Tim Tebow, who is expected to be traded or released, on the roster. Jets offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg knows Kolb from their time with the Eagles.

Last season, he lost the starting job to John Skelton but came on in the opener after Skelton was hurt to direct the winning touchdown drive against Seattle. Arizona went on to a 4-0 start with Kolb at quarterback, but in Week 6 he tore cartilage from his ribs on a broken play and never played again. The Cardinals, meanwhile, lost 11 of their last 12 to finish 5-11, costing Whisenhunt his job and bringing in Arians to try to clean up the mess of what was the worst offense in the NFL.

There was no way Arizona was going to bring back Kolb with his big contract. The only possibility seemed to be a restructuring of the deal and there was no indication the team made a serious attempt to do so.

Instead, Arians and Keim went after Stanton, signing him to a three-year, $8.2 million deal with $3 million guaranteed. Skelton and Ryan Lindley remain on the Arizona roster. The team also has made a tender offer to Brian Hoyer, who was signed late last season and started the season finale against San Francisco.

The Cardinals probably will address the quarterback position in the draft, although not necessarily with their first-round pick, the No. 7 choice overall. They could opt for an offensive lineman with that selection and go after a quarterback in the second or third round.

Arizona had expected Kolb to be the franchise quarterback the team has sorely lacked following the retirement of Kurt Warner after the 2009 season.

After the trade at the end of the 2011 NFL lockout, Kolb signed a five-year, $63 million contract with $20 million guaranteed. But he had trouble adapting to Whisenhunt's offense, Arizona got off to a 1-6 start and Kolb went down with a toe injury. Arizona regrouped and Kolb returned to lead the team to an overtime victory over Dallas, but he was sidelined with a concussion the following week and was lost for the season.

In his two seasons with Arizona, Kolb completed 58 percent of his passes with 17 touchdowns and 11 interceptions. Sacks were a big problem, especially last season, when he was sacked 17 times in consecutive games, much of it to do with a struggling offensive line, but critics said the quarterback sometimes had a tendency to hold on to the ball too long, or take off from the pocket too soon when under duress.

Last season, Kolb completed just under 60 percent of his passes with eight touchdowns and three interceptions but was sacked 27 times in six games.

With Brian Costello

Just saw Tannenbaum on TV spouting on about what an idiot Arizona's GM is.  If he wanted to clear cap room with Kolb, the way to do it is to guarantee him the next 2 years and convert most of that $11M salary & roster bonus into signing bonus that spreads over an extension of 3+ years.  Because if Kolb turns into a superstar then Arizona will have him locked up for only $13-14M/year instead of the $20M/year that Baltimore had to fork over for Flacco.

lol

he got cut because he turned down an offer. he's looking to get paid.  the jets can't pay anyone

colon's deal is where we are at.  1 year, 1 mill

paging kmart shoppers.....

just get used to it and the pain goes away after awhile

lol

he got cut because he turned down an offer. he's looking to get paid.  the jets can't pay anyone

He got cut because he turned down an offer to have his contract cut.  I doubt he is so happy with things in Arizona and I have also read that he could be welcomed back.  Why wouldn't he take a chance to test the market?  

lol

All kinds of ways to deal with lack of money when your talking about a QB. 

Looking at the Jets situation he’ll realize he has an excellent opportunity to win a starting job.  Plus he already knows the O

You make him a low ball offer, with incentives.

If he win’s starting job, x amount of bonus after season

If he passes for x amount of yards, more bonus.

If he throws x amount of TD’s more bonus.  ect

Don’t think there will be to many teams opening the check book for him.  This would be a good spot.  If MM wants him, they can get him cheap for this year.  Need a creative contract offer that protects both the Jets, if he sucks, and him if he performs 

2 - anyone but sanchez

I agree with you but how many QB are the Jets going to bring in , Kolb is not the answer to the problem , playing QB in the NFL is the most pressure job and there are many star college QB that fail every year, Sanchez and the other 10 QB the Jets are going to bring in are going to needs someone to catch the ball , where are all the wide outs   

Archived