flgreen

Sunday notes: Jets warming to Geno Smith

March, 24, 2013
Mar 24

5:00

AM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

A look at the Jets and the rest of the NFL:

1. Broadway Geno: It was widely reported March 14 that Jets senior personnel executive Terry Bradway attended the West Virginia pro day, headlined by QB Geno Smith. Turns out that Bradway was accompanied by offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg. The Jets' contingent had some private time with Smith, and they came away very impressed. The Jets have warmed to Smith since last month's scouting combine, where he didn't blow people away with his interviews. Some feel that may have been caused by fatigue (the combine can be a grind), but he certainly redeemed himself in the eyes of the Jets.

Do they like him enough to pick him ninth overall (if he lasts that long)? I honestly don't know. My sense is the Jets will ride out 2013 with their current cast of quarterbacks (plus maybe another veteran) and look for their quarterback of the future next year. But it would make for some interesting draft-room conversation if Smith slips to the Jets.

2. Revis watch: I don't agree with the notion the Jets should accept only 2014 trade compensation for Darrelle Revis. There's no certainty with future draft picks. What if the Bucs reach the divisional playoffs? Then you're looking at the 24th pick (at best), too low for a player of Revis' caliber. GM John Idzik should absolutely demand the Bucs' first-round pick this year (13th overall), which reportedly is the sticking point in trade talks. With a trade of this magnitude, the Jets need certainty, not projection. Idzik should ask for this year's No. 1 and next year's No. 2 from the Bucs. That would be a fair compromise. People who know Idzik say he won't buckle to media pressure.

3. Moneyball: I spoke to a salary-cap expert who questioned Idzik's decisions to let veterans such as S LaRon Landry and TE Dustin Keller walk out the door without so much as an offer. Despite the criticism of Mike Tannenbaum's cap management, the Jets began the free agency period with roughly $18 million in room after cutting players and re-working deals. It was enough cap space, the expert said, to make competitive offers.

The expert also said: If Idzik was concerned about jamming up the 2013 cap for a player like Landry, who received the biggest contract among the Jets' defections (four years, $24 million from the Colts), he could've structured the deal to include a chunk of the guaranteed money in 2014. In other words, there were creative ways to get it done. Obviously, Idzik didn't feel the players were worth the trouble. He made value judgments; it wasn't because he was handcuffed by the perceived failings of the previous administration, per our salary-cap man.

4. The root of Rex's switch: Remember all the talk last offseason from Rex Ryan, who claimed he was ready to step away from the defense in an effort to monitor the pulse of all aspects of the organization? Well, forget it. Ryan is returning to "my roots," reclaiming the play calling responsibilities on defense. Don't buy any of the spin; this is all about one thing -- self-preservation. If Ryan goes down, he wants to go down swinging, controlling the area he knows best.

5. Say, what?: When the Jets trade Revis to the Bucs a few days before the April 25 draft, I wonder if Ryan will finally admit the Jets were actively shopping the star cornerback.

6. Jonesing for a draft slide: Georgia OLB Jarvis Jones, linked to the Jets at No. 9 in many mock drafts, hurt his stock with a poor pro day. He ran anywhere from a 4.90 to a 4.92, disappointing for a 6-foot-3, 243-pound linebacker. One scout told me the workout was "absolutely shocking." Jones is an enigma -- highly productive in college (led the nation in sacks), but "as mediocre as you can get, athletically," the scout said. On the other hand, there's the Terrell Suggs story -- a prolific pass rusher in college who tested poorly leading into the 2003 draft. Ryan was a member of the Ravens' staff that chose Suggs with the 10th overall pick, and he has managed quite nicely in the NFL. In Jones' case, he also has a medical question -- spinal stenosis.

7. Little Big Man: If I'm the Jets, I'm thinking of West Virginia WR Tavon Austin with the ninth pick. He's an absolute blur, an electric playmaker who'd be perfect for the Jets' moribund offense. At 5-foot-8, 173 pounds, he has Jeremy Kerley size, but Austin is in a different league than Kerley. He produced 1,289 receiving yards and 643 rushing yards last season for the Mountaineers. He'd be the Jets' version of Percy Harvin. Austin posted the second-best 40 time at the combine (4.34). Here's how one scout described Austin's 40: "He ran by me so fast that I was like, 'Holy ----!'" The Jets could use a "Holy ----!" guy on their team.

8. What the ?!?: At last week's meetings, the NFL voted to eliminate the tuck rule. From now on, if a quarterback loses the ball while attempting to bring it back to his body, it's a fumble, not an incomplete pass. The mere discussion of the rule, of course, brought back memories of the 2001 AFC divisional playoff between the Patriots and Raiders. I was fortunate enough to have covered that classic game. I remember a small contingent of Raiders front-office officials leaping from their seats in the press box, screaming and high-fiving when they recovered Tom Brady's fumble -- or so they thought. There's no cheering in the press box, and those Oakland guys made absolute boobs of themselves. The postscript: They sat in silence, seemingly comatose, when the officials invoked the tuck rule.

9. Manti-ster of the Midway: There's some speculation that the Bears could select Notre Dame LB Manti Te'o with the 20th pick in the first round. My opinion: Don't do it. In addition to living down his imaginary girlfriend, Te'o would have to battle the ghost of Brian Urlacher. That's too many invisible things for one person to handle.

10. Smoke in your eyes: Bruce Arians talking up Drew Stanton as the potential starting quarterback for the Cards reminds me of 2009, when the Jets were raving about Kellen Clemens and Erik Ainge -- a classic smokescreen. There's no way Stanton is their opening-day starter. Bet on it. They'll draft a quarterback, just like the Jets drafted Mark Sanchez in 2009.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems like picks 9-10-11 is where the draft starts to fall off of a cliff as far as "big" prospects go. It's a deep draft, so it's not as stark as in past years, but beyond that point you're then getting the third best receiver, possibly the fourth best pass rusher, third best tackle, etc. I imagine the Jets are going to be "linked" to every player in the top-ten over the course of the next month, if only to spur trade-down possibilities.

I sure hope the Jets don’t take Geno at 9.  If they do we will be having this same conversation in 4 years

They do this every year. Every prospect is great, then they suck, then they get drafted high anyway. The media looks for counters to the conventional wisdom, and they find it because if there's one job more reliant on speculation than off-season NFL talking head, it's NFL scout. Remember, last year at this time, Phil Simms was saying that Andrew Luck didn't make "special throws" while others were saying that RGIII was a major project. Nobody knows how Geno Smith will turn out, but it's easier to trash him now and proclaim that he "exceeded expectations" than to praise him now and have to come back and explain why he busted. Jaworski still hasn't gotten the Kellen Clemens egg off his face.  

If they take Geno Smith I won't watch a single down of Jets football next season.

Good I hope you don't ! cause if the Jets Select Geno I can assure you we will be going in the right direction. The Mark Sanchez experiment 

as Jet QB is done here/fini/over/out, time for us to move on.

If they take Manti Te'o and put Sanchez out there all season will you buy a PSL?

The mark Sanchez Experiment is done here here he'll never be the QB we need him to be.

I abide by the golden rule of the NFL; if you don't have a franchise quarterback, you do whatever you can to get one.  If Geno falls and our brass thinks he has the goods to be one, then it's a no-brainer and you take him.  I don't care that he played in a spread system, he was accurate and never threw over 7 incerceptions in a single season. I'm very leery of qbs who throw multiple picks in college.  

Not sitting here and saying he's the next coming, because I'm not a scout.  But I like that he looks to be a pocket passer first, has accuracy, a very good arm, but also has much more athleticism than anyone gave him credit for.  (If we were able to get Tampa's 13th pick, it would be quite a coupling to pair Geno with Tavon Austin and grab Ertz or Effert in the second.  Finally giving our QB a bunch of weapons to develop and work with; Hill, Kerley, Austin, Effert/Ertz.)

I abide by the golden rule of the NFL; if you don't have a franchise quarterback, you do whatever you can to get one.  If Geno falls and our brass thinks he has the goods to be one, then it's a no-brainer and you take him.  

Mark Sanchez got Tannenbaum fired. Geno could get Idzik fired. It's too risky for a guy who has been risk averse all offseason.

Mark Sanchez got Tannenbaum fired. Geno could get Idzik fired. It's too risky for a guy who has been risk averse all offseason.

Passing up on Geno could also get Idzik fired when he turns into the next McNabb and rumors surface that the scouting department wanted him.  You don't pass up a pick you think is right on the off chance it doesn't work out.  If the scouting department and the offensive coordinator think he's the real deal, it's up to Idzik to pull the trigger.   Besides, drafting Sanchez isn't what got Tanny fired, it was giving him that god-awful extension that sealed his fate.

Or he could make Idzik look like a genius GM, the NFL is a risk business sometimes you gotta play the hand that suits you best

as in this case I truly believe if Smith falls to Idzik at the ninth pick he should take him with no second guessing.

Or he could make Idzik look like a genius GM, the NFL is a risk business sometimes you gotta play the hand that suits you best

as in this case I truly believe if Smith falls to Idzik at the ninth pick he should take him with no second guessing.

Smith would be an epic disaster in NY, worse than Sanchez disaster if that's possible, the last thing the Jets can do right now is waste another high draft pick on anything other than a sure bet QB!

It would mean 10-12 years of sure suck for this franchise.

Lol at you guys. Let's take a QB that is pretty much Sanchez in the pocket because you want so badly for the Sanchez experiment to be over. That's laughable at best. Geno Smith is an average QB at best and is not an improvement over what the jets currently have. I would rather take a player who will actually come in and have a positive impact for this team. Not one that will set back the team another 5 years.

And keep going with the Notre Dame jokes. They are so fresh and new.

Given the way the NFL QB position is changing right now, if Golson continues to develop the way he did in his Freshmen season, you may see him as a first or second rounder come his eligibility.

Lol at you guys. Let's take a QB that is pretty much Sanchez in the pocket because you want so badly for the Sanchez experiment to be over. That's laughable at best. Geno Smith is an average QB at best and is not an improvement over what the jets currently have. I would rather take a player who will actually come in and have a positive impact for this team. Not one that will set back the team another 5 years.

Homer Dame

I fail to see what those two quotes have to do with anything. It's flattering you pay so much attention to me though.

You'll pimp a nobody like Golson because of the uniform he wears, preaching patience, then turn around and take slap at Geno Smith, who put up numbers in his senior year that Golson won't match in four years.

You'll pimp a nobody like Golson because of the uniform he wears, preaching patience, then turn around and take slap at Geno Smith, who put up numbers in his senior year that Golson won't match in four years.

Golson is a freshman. Geno Smith is a senior. What again is the comparison between the two?

And Manti is going in the second, at best. Even the lowly Jets have taken him off their board.

And Brady Quinn sucks.

Manti T'eo will probably go to the Bears or the Ravens and play at a solid to high level for a long time. The team that takes him will be glad they did. The Jets aren't particularly looking for a MLB so I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't considering him.

And what does Brady Quinn have to do with anything? I'm sorry I'd rather have a guy brought in who has thrown an NFL pass in the last three years. Hell, I never thought they should have gotten rid of Stanton for Tebow. I'm all for anyone coming in to challenge Sanchez.

Smith would be an epic disaster in NY, worse than Sanchez disaster if that's possible, the last thing the Jets can do right now is waste another high draft pick on anything other than a sure bet QB!

There are no sure things when drafting a QB or any player in these league. With the new CBA, so long as you don't give a guaranteed extension to a failed pick, you aren't setting your franchise back ten years.  If the browns were to pick another QB high, because they don't think weeden is the answer, that's not going to set them back; what will set them back is staying with weeden and sitting around for that miracle of a QB to just fall into their laps like the Colts.  

Sure bet at QB? In the draft ??

Geno Smith to the Jets will (very) likely not even be an option.  I wouldn't be surprised to see the top-three QBs and top-three OTs drafted before we pick at #9. 

Even such, the idea that Geno Smith might be going to Buffalo is enough to warrant the amount of attention he's receiving from us.  Test his knowledge, find out his weaknesses...exploit them twice a year. 

An average QB would upgrade the starting spot for the Jets big time from last year. Hell, this team is probably in the SB at least once between '09 and '10 with an average QB.

Geno Smith to the Jets will (very) likely not even be an option.  I wouldn't be surprised to see the top-three QBs and top-three OTs drafted before we pick at #9. 

Even such, the idea that Geno Smith might be going to Buffalo is enough to warrant the amount of attention he's receiving from us.  Test his knowledge, find out his weaknesses...exploit them twice a year. 

What? No. If that happens, that would be awesome, because it means better selection for us and we can probably trade down then.

But no, that can't happen. Who are the 3 QB's you see going before pick #9?

Archived