Cimini, Sunday Notes: Jets Warming to Geno Smith

flgreen

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What? No. If that happens, that would be awesome, because it means better selection for us and we can probably trade down then.

But no, that can't happen. Who are the 3 QB's you see going before pick #9?

Barkley and Nassib are starting to appear in the first rounds of some mocks.

An average QB would upgrade the starting spot for the Jets big time from last year. Hell, this team is probably in the SB at least once between '09 and '10 with an average QB.

Great. Let's strive to be average!

And what does 09 and 10 have to do with now? Hindsight is easy. Foresight is the hard part.

Barkley and Nassib are starting to appear in the first rounds of some mocks.

We should be thanking our lucky stars if that happens because we'll have a nice selection of non-QB's to choose from at 9.  Maybe that will even enable us to trade down if someone likes a particular LB/DE/whatever.

BTW Last mock I saw had Nassib going in 2nd round.. to the Jets..lol.

Lol at you guys. Let's take a QB that is pretty much Sanchez in the pocket because you want so badly for the Sanchez experiment to be over. That's laughable at best. Geno Smith is an average QB at best and is not an improvement over what the jets currently have. I would rather take a player who will actually come in and have a positive impact for this team. Not one that will set back the team another 5 years.

And keep going with the Notre Dame jokes. They are so fresh and new.

Geno is much more accurate than Sanchez and moves around a lot better. He also has a stronger arm and throws the deep ball better. Add to that that Geno has been a starter for three times as many college games as Sanchez and I fail to see the comparison. But, I wouldn't expect anything less from someone who thinks Gholson is a future pro star.

Great. Let's strive to be average!

And what does 09 and 10 have to do with now? Hindsight is easy. Foresight is the hard part.

Foresight says that an average starter is an upgrade to this roster as well. They don't have one of those.

I'm working with what you said. No one is striving to be average, though one way to do that is to avoid QBs with more good than bad going for him while waiting for The One to show up.

anyone who wants Geno Smith at 9, I demand you watch the Syracuse bowl game where he gave up 2 safeties and the 5 game losing streak. and then come back here and tell us all how you love Geno Smith

there's a reason this guy _could_ fall to 9. and it's not cause he's awesome. 

Geno is much more accurate than Sanchez and moves around a lot better. He also has a stronger arm and throws the deep ball better. Add to that that Geno has been a starter for three times as many college games as Sanchez and I fail to see the comparison. But, I wouldn't expect anything less from someone who thinks Gholson is a future pro star.

Who is Gholson and when did I say he would be a future star? Please quote that post.

Also, Geno Smith was a very good college QB. So was Matt Leinart, Vince Young, And many, many others. I don't see future star with Geno and I don't even see more than future backup. His pocket presence makes Sanchez look like Montana back there. Watch the bowl game against Syracuse. He was awful.

FWIW, I don't think Idzik's plan calls for taking a QB high this year. He's smart enough to know that he'll be getting a higher pick next year. He likely has his eyes on a bigger prize than Smith or Nassib, etc. I can see a later round guy, or even a trade, but I don't think he'll reach for one this year.

FWIW, I don't think Idzik's plan calls for taking a QB high this year. He's smart enough to know that he'll be getting a higher pick next year. He likely has his eyes on a bigger prize than Smith or Nassib, etc. I can see a later round guy, or even a trade, but I don't think he'll reach for one this year.

Yeah well it's frustrating to see teams take QBs that were never supposed to succeed and making something out of them (Wilson, Colin K, etc.) maybe we can find out diamond in the rough? Ah, who am I kidding...

Yeah well it's frustrating to see teams take QBs that were never supposed to succeed and making something out of them (Wilson, Colin K, etc.) maybe we can find out diamond in the rough? Ah, who am I kidding...

I think that'll be part of it. They've apparently said that they want to take five QBs to camp. At least two figure to be rookies. Sanchez, Garrard, McElroy(?), Simms(?), rookie. I think one of Simms and McElroy don't make it out of minicamps, and we know Tebow is gone.

What? No. If that happens, that would be awesome, because it means better selection for us and we can probably trade down then.

But no, that can't happen. Who are the 3 QB's you see going before pick #9?

KC: Luke Joekel

JAX: Eric Fisher

Oak: Sharif Floyd

Phi: Geno Smith

DET: Dee Milliner

CLE: EJ Manuel

Ari: Lane Johnson

Buf: Ryan Nassib

NYJ:

I don't think he plans to take one because the only one worth taking high is Geno Smith. It is not because of his master plan of tanking a few seasons until QB appears. Tannenbaum took Clemens in his first year as GM which got the whole "he's better than Chad/Upside/Only a second" coverage and bought him a couple of years to build the '08 and '09 rosters. Avoiding a high draft pick QB, especially when high includes everything below the top 2 or 6 picks, is not a bad idea for a new GM. There's always the non-zero shot that he somehow hits on a non-first QB this year. 

Sanchez in college was more accurate than Sanchez in the pros. In fact accuracy was his calling card. 

Sanchez's college accuracy was because he was throwing to wide open receivers with 5+ seconds of time to throw. As bad as Geno was at times this past year, he put up numbers Sanchez could only dream of. The difference between me and Bitonti and Crazy Carl is that while all three of us claim to have seen the bowl game against Syracuse, I actually also saw all his games against the top level teams he lit up this year...and there were a lot of them.

Mark Sanchez got Tannenbaum fired. Geno could get Idzik fired. It's too risky for a guy who has been risk averse all offseason.

because Sanchez was the only mistake Tannenbaum ever made.  Tannenbaum did not know how to build a football team.  He only knew how to make a splash.  Favre should have gotten him fired, Tebow should have gotten him shot.  Pace's contract, Harris' contract, Holmes' contract, trading away pick after pick, I could go on for another dozen examples.  Sanchez was the final straw.  Maybe.  Tanny dug his own grave.  And Rex handed him the shovel.

Sanchez's college accuracy was because he was throwing to wide open receivers with 5+ seconds of time to throw. As bad as Geno was at times this past year, he put up numbers Sanchez could only dream of. The difference between me and Bitonti and Crazy Carl is that while all three of us claim to have seen the bowl game against Syracuse, I actually also saw all his games against the top level teams he lit up this year...and there were a lot of them.

Top level is a huge stretch. Huge.

The way Rex handled Sanchez it makes it impossible to spend a first round pick on a QB until he's gone, Rex's biggest downfall was his failure to recognize you treat your franchise QB like your wife or one of your kids,.meaning if someone disrespects them you destroy him...Sanchez has never been the same since that cancer turd Santonio got in his head,..and Rex did nothing to protect Sanchez from him, and yes he did need protecting. Rex let his curious love for holmes ( that SOB cost me a ring,.yap yap ) ruin his coaching career, he was exposed as a fake tough guy blowhard....when push finally came to shove the guy who finally stepped up and told Holmes to sit down and shut the F up was none other than our beloved Shotty,..while the fake tough guy said he didn't know what was going on...we all knew guys growing up who talked tough after the fight was over but did nothing while it was going on,.that was Rex that day in Miami and he has never recovered...the Rex ship sank and Holmes was the iceberg .

The way Rex handled Sanchez it makes it impossible to spend a first round pick on a QB until he's gone, Rex's biggest downfall was his failure to recognize you treat your franchise QB like your wife or one of your kids,.meaning if someone disrespects them you destroy him...Sanchez has never been the same since that cancer turd Santonio got in his head,..and Rex did nothing to protect Sanchez from him, and yes he did need protecting. Rex let his curious love for holmes ( that SOB cost me a ring,.yap yap ) ruin his coaching career, he was exposed as a fake tough guy blowhard....when push finally came to shove the guy who finally stepped up and told Holmes to sit down and shut the F up was none other than our beloved Shotty,..while the fake tough guy said he didn't know what was going on...we all knew guys growing up who talked tough after the fight was over but did nothing while it was going on,.that was Rex that day in Miami and he has never recovered...the Rex ship sank and Holmes was the iceberg .

Santonio Holmes did not ruin Sanchez, he was perfectly horrible before that.

Using Sanchez as a guide to how good a QB is is like using Denny's cook for how good a chef is.

I wanted nothing to do with Sanchez and want nothing to do with Geno. He had two many bad games.

a top 10 QB pick should be good all the time. There's a place for guys who are sometimes good and sometimes bad it's not the high first round. People are overrating geno due to positional scarcity. In another year Geno would be the 3rd or 4th QB taken and that's ok. My biggest problem with this player was skipping the senior Bowl. Who does he think he is, Brady Quinn? 

How often does the top QB prospect play in the Senior Bowl? Quinn's the only one to not do it?

most of the time the top QB's are juniors. Matt Ryan skipped.

JMO Geno had alot to prove and he didn't take the opportunity to compete. 

most of the time the top QB's are juniors. Matt Ryan skipped.

JMO Geno had alot to prove and he didn't take the opportunity to compete. 

I agree

After the Pinstripe Bowl, Smith had a lot to prove in the Senior Bowl.  He didn’t stand up to the challenge.

As you pointed out in a previous post , “due to positional Scarcity” He will probably be a top ten pick.    If he had “bombed” in the Senior bowl, it is possible he might have fallen.  Perhaps to the 2nd round.

As it turns out he was wise passing on the Senior Bowl.  It won’t be wise for the team that takes him top 10

This kinda thing seems to happen every year. The QBs all start to move up, and in a weak draft they move up far more than they should. The year they took Sanchez, he was getting mocked to the Jets at their original first round pick in March. We all know what happened there.

I originally thought the Jets might take a QB in the second, but I'm starting to think there will be such a run on them they they won't take a QB until the later rounds - if at all.

This kinda thing seems to happen every year. The QBs all start to move up, and in a weak draft they move up far more than they should. The year they took Sanchez, he was getting mocked to the Jets at their original first round pick in March. We all know what happened there.

I originally thought the Jets might take a QB in the second, but I'm starting to think there will be such a run on them they they won't take a QB until the later rounds - if at all.

Funny you should mention. I was just reading a few different articles on Matt Barkley's Pro Day on Wednesday. The consensus seems to be that if he shows he can throw it on a straight line, he'll move back into the top ten. I think there'll be a lot of curious QB picks in the next two drafts, what with so many teams missing out on Russell Wilson due to his jack of "elite" traits. Nobody wants to be the next guy to file a bad scouting report on the next QB who turns out to be a stud, and no GM wants to be the guy to explain to his owner why he can't find a QB when other teams keep finding them every year.

Archived