Evan "Big Evil" Silva ranks Jets skill players last in the league as a group.

T0mShane

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/43090/59/bottom-16-skill-player-groups?pg=3

32. New York Jets

QB: Mark Sanchez > David Garrard > Greg McElroy > Matt Simms

RB: Mike Goodson > Bilal Powell > Joe McKnight > John Griffin

WR: Santonio Holmes > Stephen Hill > Jeremy Kerley > Clyde Gates

TE: Jeff Cumberland > Hayden Smith > Konrad Reuland

Skill Player Overview: This skill-position group is a mess that rookie GM John Idzik undoubtedly wants to attack in the draft. His flirtation with Saints restricted free agent Chris Ivory indicates the Jets are not done adding to the backfield. Though blessed with versatility, starting-caliber talent, and some big-play ability, Goodson is among the NFL's most injury-prone backs. Powell is a plodder who shouldn't be guaranteed a roster spot. McKnight is a scatback at best.

I suspect the Jets will stick to a run-oriented offense if only because their passing-game personnel are so putrid. Sanchez wouldn't be on the roster if not for a guaranteed $8.5 million salary. Holmes is coming off a Lisfranc fracture and tends to play when he wants to play. Cumberland is a stiff, upright catch-first tight end lacking field-stretching ability. He's not a viable replacement for Dustin Keller. Kerley is a solid slot weapon and Hill is 22 years old with a high ceiling, but neither is a legitimate No. 1 receiver. It remains to be seen whether Holmes can (wants?) to be that guy.

2013 Breakout Candidate: Goodson. The Jets gave Goodson a nice contract -- $6.9 million over three years -- which suggests he's a big part of their plans. Goodson's breakout candidacy could take a hit if Ivory or an early-round rookie back were acquired, but for now he's penciled in as the starter. For his career, Goodson averages 4.51 yards per carry. If his health cooperates, Goodson will have no trouble running circles around Powell in training camp practices. If Ivory comes board, he would surpass Goodson as the Jets' top breakout candidate.

How do our skill players look if we add Warmack or Cooper? Shiny and new, I bet!

You're stupid.

They'd be great. I mean, at that point what else would they really need?  Just a QB, a RB, 2 WRs and 2 TEs... that's it!  Can you believe that?

You suck.

This was my first thought when I read the thread title.

******* know it all.

When I saw this article I opened it up, immediately went to the last of the three pages, and scrolled all the way down because I knew that was where the Jets would be.

If the Jets can get Ivory before the draft, viable long-term starters at WR and TE in the draft, and Hill develops then the group will be pretty good. But those are three big if's.

I was convinced when i read "QB: Mark Sanchez"!

Pros and Cons of JETS offense:

Pros:

1. Stephen Hill will have a breakout year.

2. Goodson is underrated.

3. If we add Ivory he will make some great contributions.

4. The Australian has huge upside at TE and Cumberland should improve.

Cons:

1. Mark Sanchez.

Should i continue. OK....

2. Cancer called Holmes.

I cannot go on.

silva hates the Jets but in this case he's right. the jets skills are basically the worst in the league. Holmes coming off that surgery best case he plays 1 year for this team before hitting FA, worse case he never plays again. 

if the Jets double dip at 9 and 13 to fix their worst problem (and the ivory trade goes thru) the offense could look like 

QB David Gerrard, Mark Sanchez, rd 3/4 Draft pick (zac Dysert or Tyler wilson)

RB Chris Ivory, Mike Goodson, Powell, mcknight

WR Stephen Hill, Jeremy Kerley, Tavon Austin

TE Tyler Eifert, Jeff Cumberland 

would be a huge improvement. 

silva hates the Jets but in this case he's right. the jets skills are basically the worst in the league. Holmes coming off that surgery best case he plays 1 year for this team before hitting FA, worse case he never plays again. 

I think you have those two backwards.

Here is the scary part.  Really scary...

The situation at RB frightens me more than the depth at WR or the QB situation. 

Granted RB is the easiest to fix, but they don't have a starting RB.  They might not have a full time # 2.

Here is the scary part. Really scary...

The situation at RB frightens me more than the depth at WR or the QB situation.

Granted RB is the easiest to fix, but they don't have a starting RB. They might not have a full time # 2.

Goodson and Powell are more than serviceable. They'll probably draft someone too if they don't trade for Ivory. RB is the least of offensive skill position concerns right now.

Goodson and Powell are more than serviceable. They'll probably draft someone too if they don't trade for Ivory. RB is the least of offensive skill position concerns right now.

They are backups to backups.  Anything more than that and its a plus.   But people expecting the Jets to have some great rushing attack are expecting a bit too much.  Plus Goodson is another guy who can't stay healthy and hasn't rushed for more than 500 yards his entire career.  Powell is another backup guy who hasn't had a 500 yard season either.     People can say they are young, but Running backs are normally young considering many RBs last about 4 years in the NFL anyway.    If they aren't do all that much after a few seasons, they probably never will.  There are exceptions, but guys like a Larry Johnson or Michael Turner were sitting behind HOF caliber running backs.   Powell was behind Greene and Woodson was on a Raiders team who sucked.  And then the Ivory crap. Another guy who didn't even play much in college.    Suddenly people hear all these 'benchwarmer's and see gold.    

What do you mean by "serviceable"? Name a worse backfield in the NFL. It's a backfield for a 3 win team. Just like the rest of the skill players. 

Well since neither has had a crack at a legitimate starting job, why don't we wait and see.

We could say the same thing about Tebow and the Jets too.  Except people find reasons why Tebow sucks. Which are valid.  But backup to backup RBs with injury histories,  no valid reasons why they didn't get a chance.  Yeah I bet the only reason they haven' started is because they just weren't given a fair chance.  

Again, haven't we heard this with the Tebow lovers too?  No fair chance.  But most Jets fans want to run him out of town.    But hey, bring in guys like Ivory and Woodson and so on because they are beasts who just didn't get a shot.  Yeah ok.

You have no idea if that's true until they play the actual games. That's just conjecture.

If you think that players are just going to magically become better than they have been their whole lives than sure. Prior performance is the best predictor of future success and the Jets don't have a starting caliber RB on their roster right now. Now they can get one if they bring Ivory here and he stays healthy but if they don't it's pretty pitiful. 

If you think that players are just going to magically become better than they have been their whole lives than sure. Prior performance is the best predictor of future success and the Jets don't have a starting caliber RB on their roster right now. Now they can get one if they bring Ivory here and he stays healthy but if they don't it's pretty pitiful.

It happens all the time. Players grow and get better all the time. I don't know what else to tell you other than give Goodson and Powell a legitimate chance.

if the Jets double dip at 9 and 13 to fix their worst problem (and the ivory trade goes thru) the offense could look like

QB David Gerrard, Mark Sanchez, rd 3/4 Draft pick (zac Dysert or Tyler wilson)

RB Chris Ivory, Mike Goodson, Powell, mcknight

WR Stephen Hill, Jeremy Kerley, Tavon Austin

TE Tyler Eifert, Jeff Cumberland

would be a huge improvement.

Stephen Hawkins would be an improvement.

It happens all the time. Players grow and get better all the time. I don't know what else to tell you other than give Goodson and Powell a legitimate chance.

This is not a good argument. Powell is just a guy with average talent and Goodson is a guy who has good speed but thats about it. They aren't going to become good RB's all of a sudden. They are what they are. 

Archived