Brian Winters ~ ~ ~

kelly

Brian Winters - A Biography

We continue to look at the Jets 2013 draft selections with a small bio on 3rd round pick Brian Winters.

via media.al.com

INTRODUCTION

As we get into the middle rounds of the Jets draft selections, it will become increasingly difficult to find the information on the prospects. So I apologise if they now become a little shorter, it’s not being lazy it’s just that with lower ‘valued’ prospects, the information available is not quite as extensive. However saying that, we’ll still do our best to bring you all the key information. So here is our take on Brian Winters, our third round pick from Kent State.

HIGH SCHOOL

"He hit with the force of a snow plow." -Tom Narducci (HS Coach)

During high school it wasn’t just about football for Brian, as well as lettering in football twice, he also lettered in wrestling three times. In fact he was named all-NOC in wrestling in his freshman and Sophomore years. While attending Hudson High School in Ohio he was named to the All-Ohio and all-Northeast Ohio conference team his senior season. As well as being named to the All-Conference team his Sophomore and Junior seasons. Naturally a big man, Brian didn’t quite get the recognition coming out of high school that many thought he deserved.

COLLEGE

via prod.static.jets.clubs.nfl.com

Winters was rated as just a two star recruit by both rivals.com and scout.com, but we have to remember that Eric Fisher the number one overall selection in the 2013 NFL draft, was also rated as just a two star prospect coming out of high school. Brian received three offers, he decided to attend Kent State university over offers from Akron and Syracuse.One of Brian Winters best attributes is his durability. From the moment he started the first game his freshman year to the moment he ended his last game his senior year, he never missed a start, not once. That is 50 straight games played without any injuries preventing him for taking the football field.

Now it is hard to measure a offensive guards performance, because there are just not enough statistics used, so unless you watch the games it’s very difficult to grasp just how good a player he is. So let’s just quickly go over some of his achievements over the course of his college career.In 2009, he started all 12 contests at RT. In 2010 he started the first 8 contests at left tackle and then shifted back over to RT for the final 4. Then in 2011 and 2012 he started every single game at left tackle. In 2010 he earned All-MAC third team honors and in 2011 he was named to the following teams: All Mid-American Conference second team, Phil Steele’s All-MAC third team and the All-Ohio Second team. In 2012 Winters really started to flourish blocking for Dri Archer. He was named to the All-MAC First team as well as being voted team captain by teammates and coaches. He was just the third player in program history to be invited to the NFL combine and was named to the Rotary Lombardi award watch list.

It was his ferocious play in 2012 that earned Brian Winters an invitation to the senior bowl, no doubt this is where he first caught the real attention of Rex Ryan. While in Mobile, Alabama he was moved from tackle to guard, and in a week of practise and the game itself, he dominated opponents with his power inside and this is when everyone realised that his future was going to be inside rather than outside. He went to the combine with a lot of confidence and performed well cementing his position as a likely third round pick.

"We’d be playing pick-up basketball and his arm was so big it would take four guys to get it back in place, Then, he’d just keep playing. He’s an absolute brute." -Rose

SCOUTING PROFILE

As we did with Milliner/Geno and Richardson, we’ll do a quick mini scouting profile just to go over his game :

Positives

+ Plays with a wide base and natural flexibility in the hips.
+ Extremely durable, played in 50 straight games in college.
+ Finishes every single play, keeps legs churning
+ Has good foot quickness, needed to start at left tackle.
+ Possesses length and quickness, often gets to the second level

Negatives

~ Can sometimes lose his balance when up against strong opponents
~ Needs to keep his head up
~Sometimes can be over-aggressive after the whistle
~Sometimes can play a little high with his pad level
~Has no experience playing guard

Work Ethic

Now apart from his left shoulder popping out and him just popping it back in and continuing to play, Winters doesn’t have any injury or character concerns. So I thought I would highlight another area that stood out when I was researching him. This guy knows how to work for what he wants. Ever since he was a kid his parents have made him earn everything he gets, at age 8 he started mowing lawns and doing extra little jobs to earn pocket money. In the Winter he threw a plow onto the front of his truck and cleared roads and driveways earning up to $2,000 a year. It wasn’t uncommon for him to be up all night plowing driveways then at the facility for 6:00am workouts and then a full day of classes. Put simple, Brian Winters is a grinder and that’s why he won’t allow himself to fail.

SUMMARY

I really like Brian Winters as a prospect, when I look at offensive lineman I want durability, toughness and strength, and he does have all of those things. As he hasn’t played at guard yet, I think there will be some growing pains, but he has all the attributes to pick it up quickly and I wouldn’t be surprised if he wins the RG battle in camp (not exactly the toughest competition) and he gradually gets better as the season goes on. Brian is a blue-chip kind of guy who has always had to work for everything in his life and he’ll have to do the same here. If you want to know a few interesting things about Bryan, he drives an old 1999 ford pick-up truck and he listens to country music. Don’t you all feel a little better knowing that.

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2013/5/1/4289048/brian-winters-a-biography

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This sounds like a botched draft pick. Somewhere along the lines, Jets scouting department screwed up. This guy is too durable to be a Jet. Never missed a game in four years? How did the Jets make the mistake of drafting him???

This sounds like a botched draft pick. Somewhere along the lines, Jets scouting department screwed up. This guy is too durable to be a Jet. Never missed a game in four years? How did the Jets make the mistake of drafting him???

and this is what makes it hard to read anything on here these days.   Everyone has to be an a$$ hole about anything good that can happen to this team.

and this is what makes it hard to read anything on here these days.   Everyone has to be an a$$ hole about anything good that can happen to this team.

I am 100% behind Idzik and the way he handled the off season. He was in no shape to put even a half decent roster this year with the lack of cap room. He opted for cheaper vets that may be injury prone, but excellent value if they remain healthy. Its a gamble he's taking.

To top that off, he signed mostly RELEASED guys. This helps greatly with compensation picks for 2014. Im pretty sure we'll get 3 picks next year. They'll be in great shape to take BAPs in the draft everytime once they address their major concerns on the team through FA with their $40+ mil cap space.

the fact that he's only played guard at the Senior bowl and most of his experience is at LT means he won't be ready for game 1 start. the stephen peterman signing somewhat confirms this theory. 

At this stage nothing confirms that theory

the fact that he's only played guard at the Senior bowl and most of his experience is at LT means he won't be ready for game 1 start. the stephen peterman signing somewhat confirms this theory.

How hard is G that fifty games started in college at LT can't translate to a fairly smooth transition?

How hard is G that fifty games started in college at LT can't translate to a fairly smooth transition?

it's a different position. It can be easy or it can be hard depending on the person and their ability to learn. Guards have more help in pass protection but their run blocking assignments are more complex. For example a guard will be asked to double team for a beat and then go get the backside linebacker. 

but you don't have to believe me, if the Jets were 100% confident in Winters starting game 1, why would they sign Peterman? 

it's a different position. It can be easy or it can be hard depending on the person and their ability to learn. Guards have more help in pass protection but their run blocking assignments are more complex. For example a guard will be asked to double team for a beat and then go get the backside linebacker. 

but you don't have to believe me, if the Jets were 100% confident in Winters starting game 1, why would they sign Peterman? 

I heard Idzik on Sirius NFL and he spent a good amount of time talking about Winters as a HS wrestler and having great balance and strength.  

Given there Jets options at Guard, I think there is a pretty good chance Winters is a starter opening week.   

There's a pretty wide range in between being 100% confident he's going to start week 1 and being convinced there's no way he'd be ready to play.  That's exactly why you sign a guy like Peterman, as if Winter isn't ready right away you have another option, but Peterman's not a massive investment either so if Winters is ready he can still start and it still helps out the Jets' depth, which is something every GM not named Tannenbaum typically knows is part of their job.

At this stage nothing confirms that theory

I agree.  Peterman is awful.  Winters has the work ethic, the feet, strength and tools to succeed.  He may not, and if not, that's ok.  There's no sense in pressuring the kid or throwing him in there if he's not ready.  In the meantime, Colon or Ducasse might be a better option, although with Ducasse that's extremely questionable.

I'm not a betting man, but if I were, I'd bet on Winters starting by game 2 if not by game 1.

In general, I think that you're correct about the OG position.  Still, I think Winters has the work ethic and tools to do it.

I don't think they signed Peterman to be the starter, since I think he's pretty awful.  I think Idzik was simply hedging his bets.  He signed Peterson as insurance in case Winters isn't ready, and/or Ducasse stumbles or Colon gets injured in TC (heaven forbid).  If Winters shows anything at all, I think there's even a chance that Peterman is cut before TC is over.  The Jets also might cut him and then bring him back after the 1st week so his salary isn't guaranteed. In addition, there probably will be some better veteran OGs cut before the season begins, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Peterman be cut and another vet be signed.

Oday will probably make the team, but will need to get stronger and probably spend the year developing.  If Campbell makes anything, it will be the PS.

just to be clear I'm rooting for him. but the depth chart over at ourlads doesn't have Winters starting right now. It has him backing up colon (Peterman starting over Vlad at RG). also dont forget the rookie wall. this guy had no offseason and expecting him to start 16 games as a rookie is kind of alot. Guys do it but they struggle through. 

He's necessary veteran competition and not even particularly strong competition.

Wouldn't you say that 50 starts on an OL, in arguably the first or most second most demanding role, makes him a candidate to handle the transition to guard better than most?

Brian Winters - A Biography

We continue to look at the Jets 2013 draft selections with a small bio on 3rd round pick Brian Winters.

via media.al.com

INTRODUCTION

As we get into the middle rounds of the Jets draft selections, it will become increasingly difficult to find the information on the prospects. So I apologise if they now become a little shorter, it’s not being lazy it’s just that with lower ‘valued’ prospects, the information available is not quite as extensive. However saying that, we’ll still do our best to bring you all the key information. So here is our take on Brian Winters, our third round pick from Kent State.

HIGH SCHOOL

"He hit with the force of a snow plow." -Tom Narducci (HS Coach)

During high school it wasn’t just about football for Brian, as well as lettering in football twice, he also lettered in wrestling three times. In fact he was named all-NOC in wrestling in his freshman and Sophomore years. While attending Hudson High School in Ohio he was named to the All-Ohio and all-Northeast Ohio conference team his senior season. As well as being named to the All-Conference team his Sophomore and Junior seasons. Naturally a big man, Brian didn’t quite get the recognition coming out of high school that many thought he deserved.

COLLEGE

via prod.static.jets.clubs.nfl.com

Winters was rated as just a two star recruit by both rivals.com and scout.com, but we have to remember that Eric Fisher the number one overall selection in the 2013 NFL draft, was also rated as just a two star prospect coming out of high school. Brian received three offers, he decided to attend Kent State university over offers from Akron and Syracuse.One of Brian Winters best attributes is his durability. From the moment he started the first game his freshman year to the moment he ended his last game his senior year, he never missed a start, not once. That is 50 straight games played without any injuries preventing him for taking the football field.

Now it is hard to measure a offensive guards performance, because there are just not enough statistics used, so unless you watch the games it’s very difficult to grasp just how good a player he is. So let’s just quickly go over some of his achievements over the course of his college career.In 2009, he started all 12 contests at RT. In 2010 he started the first 8 contests at left tackle and then shifted back over to RT for the final 4. Then in 2011 and 2012 he started every single game at left tackle. In 2010 he earned All-MAC third team honors and in 2011 he was named to the following teams: All Mid-American Conference second team, Phil Steele’s All-MAC third team and the All-Ohio Second team. In 2012 Winters really started to flourish blocking for Dri Archer. He was named to the All-MAC First team as well as being voted team captain by teammates and coaches. He was just the third player in program history to be invited to the NFL combine and was named to the Rotary Lombardi award watch list.

It was his ferocious play in 2012 that earned Brian Winters an invitation to the senior bowl, no doubt this is where he first caught the real attention of Rex Ryan. While in Mobile, Alabama he was moved from tackle to guard, and in a week of practise and the game itself, he dominated opponents with his power inside and this is when everyone realised that his future was going to be inside rather than outside. He went to the combine with a lot of confidence and performed well cementing his position as a likely third round pick.

"We’d be playing pick-up basketball and his arm was so big it would take four guys to get it back in place, Then, he’d just keep playing. He’s an absolute brute." -Rose

SCOUTING PROFILE

As we did with Milliner/Geno and Richardson, we’ll do a quick mini scouting profile just to go over his game :

Positives

+ Plays with a wide base and natural flexibility in the hips.

+ Extremely durable, played in 50 straight games in college.

+ Finishes every single play, keeps legs churning

+ Has good foot quickness, needed to start at left tackle.

+ Possesses length and quickness, often gets to the second level

Negatives

~ Can sometimes lose his balance when up against strong opponents

~ Needs to keep his head up

~Sometimes can be over-aggressive after the whistle

~Sometimes can play a little high with his pad level

~Has no experience playing guard

Work Ethic

Now apart from his left shoulder popping out and him just popping it back in and continuing to play, Winters doesn’t have any injury or character concerns. So I thought I would highlight another area that stood out when I was researching him. This guy knows how to work for what he wants. Ever since he was a kid his parents have made him earn everything he gets, at age 8 he started mowing lawns and doing extra little jobs to earn pocket money. In the Winter he threw a plow onto the front of his truck and cleared roads and driveways earning up to $2,000 a year. It wasn’t uncommon for him to be up all night plowing driveways then at the facility for 6:00am workouts and then a full day of classes. Put simple, Brian Winters is a grinder and that’s why he won’t allow himself to fail.

SUMMARY

I really like Brian Winters as a prospect, when I look at offensive lineman I want durability, toughness and strength, and he does have all of those things. As he hasn’t played at guard yet, I think there will be some growing pains, but he has all the attributes to pick it up quickly and I wouldn’t be surprised if he wins the RG battle in camp (not exactly the toughest competition) and he gradually gets better as the season goes on. Brian is a blue-chip kind of guy who has always had to work for everything in his life and he’ll have to do the same here. If you want to know a few interesting things about Bryan, he drives an old 1999 ford pick-up truck and he listens to country music. Don’t you all feel a little better knowing that.

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2013/5/1/4289048/brian-winters-a-biography

Good info....and tells exactly why it would have been pointless to draft a G at #9 because you can find prospects like this in the 3rd!! 

Wouldn't you say that 50 starts on an OL, in arguably the first or most second most demanding role, makes him a candidate to handle the transition to guard better than most?

Not necessarily. LT to LG is easier than LT to RG. does that mean that Colon is going to go to RG after playing LG last year? 

youth sometimes takes time that's all I'm saying. 

I remember begging for the jets to draft road grater type hogs for the line so that anyone could run behind them.  Turns out I was a year too quick.  liking the trenches this year, hopefully we can impose our will on both the offensive and defensive lines.

Not necessarily. LT to LG is easier than LT to RG. does that mean that Colon is going to go to RG after playing LG last year? 

youth sometimes takes time that's all I'm saying. 

Why? Why wouldn't he just play LG then? Is Colon an expected starter now too? 

Why? Why wouldn't he just play LG then? Is Colon an expected starter now too? 

If we are to believe ourlads, Colon is the expected starter at left guard. Winters is his backup. Peterman - Vlad fight it out at RG.

Oday is in line to be swing tackle (Jason Smith's old role and Wayne Hunter before that). 

The thing about this argument is that we really don't know what the lineup should be. Neither of us have any proof. Other than Vlad we haven't seen any of these guys in a Jets uniform. 

in the long term  Colon and Peterman are probably not in the team's plans.  So Winters will start but week 1 is probably only if Willie colon gets hurt. (which does happen... alot)

In general, I think that you're correct about the OG position. Still, I think Winters has the work ethic and tools to do it.

I don't think they signed Peterman to be the starter, since I think he's pretty awful. I think Idzik was simply hedging his bets. He signed Peterson as insurance in case Winters isn't ready, and/or Ducasse stumbles or Colon gets injured in TC (heaven forbid). If Winters shows anything at all, I think there's even a chance that Peterman is cut before TC is over. The Jets also might cut him and then bring him back after the 1st week so his salary isn't guaranteed. In addition, there probably will be some better veteran OGs cut before the season begins, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Peterman be cut and another vet be signed.

Oday will probably make the team, but will need to get stronger and probably spend the year developing. If Campbell makes anything, it will be the PS.

I like this new poster.

:D

if it makes you feel better, Pat Kirwan just put Winters in his rookies likely to start list (but not Dee or Sheldon) 

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/pat-kirwan/22183229/ther-23-rookies-likely-to-be-starting-by-week-1-of-the-nfl-season

He did mention Milliner as his first of the players he said were "on the bubble".  They'll give Wilson a chance to battle him this year, but I'd be pretty surprised if it doesn't end up being Milliner at #2 and Wilson at the nickel come opening day.  Richardson will play plenty, but I think it's very likely he doesn't start as, while Coples will be moving around a lot more this year, he's still going to take Devito's starting spot in the the Jets' base D.

Peterman's signing bonus was $65K.  His base salary is $840K.  He could be cut at any time and it would be less significant move than choosing a different brand of salad dressing in the cafeteria in Florham Park.

Competition is good, particularly for rookies.  Whether Peterman beats out Winters or not, that is low-end backup money.  

Idzik seems to be handling things very well in this regard.  Get guys in there for cheap who (a) can play if draft picks don't pan out, and (b) helps assure you don't force your hand to reach for a pick based on immediate need.  

competition. whoever wins starts.

you guys talk about competition but it has to be cheap competition. If they had drafted Chance Warmack instead of Dee Milliner, would they still bring in Stephen Peterman? There's something to be said about expectations. The Jets don't seem to be expecting Brian Winters to be an instant starter. 

you guys talk about competition but it has to be cheap competition. If they had drafted Chance Warmack instead of Dee Milliner, would they still bring in Stephen Peterman? There's something to be said about expectations. The Jets don't seem to be expecting Brian Winters to be an instant starter. 

No, the Jets don't seem to be blindly relying on Brian Winters to be an instant starter before even getting him into rookie mini-camp.

Besides, if you're stupid enough to draft a friggin' OG in the top 10, he sure as hell be better ready to start from day one without question, or there's even less of an excuse to make such an asinine pick.  What kind of comparison is that anyway?

Archived