flgreen

Like it or not, Sanchez is the best man to start for Jets this season
By MARK CANNIZZARO
Last Updated: 8:25 AM, May 3, 2013
Posted: 1:04 AM, May 3, 2013
Jets Blog

Mark Cannizzaro

“I’m the luckiest guy in the world.”

Those words came from Mark Sanchez yesterday during a 20-minute interview session — his first public words since the Jets selected West Virginia quarterback Geno Smith in the second round of the NFL Draft last week.

Asked if he expects to be the opening-day starter, Sanchez, with no hesitation, said: “Of course.’’

Asked if he still views himself as the future of the franchise, Sanchez responded: “Absolutely.’’

If you’re thinking that Sanchez sounds like a guy whistling past a graveyard after midnight, you are not alone.

If you are thinking there should have been a #delusional hashtag at the end of those Sanchez statements, you are not alone.

But here’s some sobering news, Jets fans (look away Sanchez haters and detractors, because you’re not going to like this): The Jets’ starting quarterback in 2013 will be Sanchez.

The Jets’ best chance to win however many games they might win in 2013 with their depleted depth chart will be with Sanchez at quarterback.

Not Smith, who is raw and will be best-served to watch and learn for a year.

Not David Garrard, who is 35 years old and hasn’t played an NFL game since 2010.

Not Greg McElroy, who’s a smart kid but does not have the arm or durability to be a legitimate NFL starter.

Not Matt Simms, who appears to be nothing more than a training camp arm — if he lasts that long.

If that five-man quarterback competition that general manager John Idzik has been promoting like a realtor trying to sell a quiet three-bedroom colonial alongside the Jersey Turnpike is completely objective, then Sanchez will be the starter when the season begins.

Idzik might have had the last say in the draft, but coach Rex Ryan will have the final say on who plays and who doesn’t by the end of training camp.

And Ryan, who is coaching for his job this year, has one charge in 2013 and that is to win games and preserve his head coaching career. So he’s going to pick the starting quarterback who will best help him win games now — not develop someone for the future

The future for Ryan and Sanchez is now, 2013.

“I think I’ve seen pretty much everything,’’ Sanchez said of the numerous potholes in his career, merely in its fifth year.

The one thing Sanchez, a starter in each of his four NFL seasons, has not yet seen is life as a backup, which will be his fate if he doesn’t show major improvement in 2013 from the last two seasons — a chore that begins with protecting the football.

Sanchez insisted time and again yesterday that he was not rattled, disappointed or ticked off when the Jets drafted Smith.

“They’re going to try to get this team better, bring in the best talent available on the [draft] board and do their job the best they can,’’ Sanchez said. “For them, the draft is a third-and-5 and they’re trying to convert. When it’s my turn to convert the third-and-5, I’ll do that.’’

A good analogy by Sanchez, but it’s a bit Pollyanna for him to think it’s merely third-and-5 for him. It’s more like fourth-and-17 with his career as an NFL starter hanging in the balance.

“Is it a make-or-break kind of thing?’’ Sanchez said. “I feel like it’s that way every year.’’

Sanchez knows exactly how Jets fans feel about him and he knows he’s fighting for his career now, but he refuses to allow himself to become overwhelmed by looking too hard at the big picture.

“Why worry about that?’’ he said. “There’s not enough hours in a day to worry about what fans and media are saying — if this is my last chance. It’s too much. I’ve got to just focus on the reads, the footwork, let your play take care of itself and have fun doing that.

“I’m the luckiest guy in the world.’’

mark.cannizzaro@nypost.com

I would rather see Sanchez under center the first week of the season than Geno Smith.  I would like to see Smith brought along slowly, so if that means Sanchez starts, so be it.  At least with Garrard, Sanchez will have to perform to get the job...provided Garrard is healthy.

Sadly, he's probably right-I mean this IS the Jets we're talking about and we all know how the Jets under this owner do things by now. Any draft pick, chosen from either the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round will BE a Jet REGARDLESS of however bad that player turns out to be for a minimum of 3 years for 3rd and 4th rounders and 4-5 years for 1st and 2nd rounders. Sanchez had words like "franchise" in front of his position and name and has won more playoff games than almost any and every Jets QB in our sad history, so yea-I can see him being named the starter and leading the Jets to another meh season

Garrard is Sanchez’s only real competition this season, and it’s not going to be easy to beat him out if he stays healthy.  He is also in a potential career ending season.

He is not so old that he can’t play, 35, not 40.  He basically had the  Dolphins job won last year, over both Moore, and Tannerhill.  Then he got hurt........Again.

IMO Smith is going to be way over his head this season.  Possibility at war with the media.  

As Cannizzaro said. Rex is in a fight for his professional life.  He is not going to bank it on a rookie, who appears very tempermental, and hard to coach.

It’s between Sanchez, and Garrard

Garrard is Sanchez’s only real competition this season, and it’s not going to be easy to beat him out if he stays healthy.  He is also in a potential career ending season.

He is not so old that he can’t play, 35, not 40.  He basically had the  Dolphins job won last year, over both Moore, and Tannerhill.  Then he got hurt........Again.

IMO Smith is going to be way over his head this season.  Possibility at war with the media.  

As Cannizzaro said. Rex is in a fight for his professional life.  He is not going to bank it on a rookie, who appears very tempermental, and hard to coach.

The Geno pick was sooooo dumb they sh have picked Lacy and kept their 4th for Tyler Wilson who will be the better QB

He is not so old that he can’t play, 35, not 40.  He basically had the  Dolphins job won last year, over both Moore, and Tannerhill.  T in a blowout scenario, which I don't see happening hen he got hurt........Again.

agreed...no way Geno is even playing this season IMO unless we're in a blowout scenario-which COULD happen, you know, AGAINST us. The opposition up by 40+ points and Sanchez getting beaten up

F that. We need to know if we're drafting another QB next year. Let Geno sink or swim.

I doubt they throw Geno in from week one but, barring a completely shocking all-world performance by whoever does get that nod, there's no way Geno isn't the starter by season's end.

The Geno pick was sooooo dumb they sh have picked Lacy and kept their 4th for Tyler Wilson who will be the better QB

Didn’t like the Smith pick at all, don’t think he is going to be an NFL QB, but I understand why they made it.  He did have excellent value from a  top upside position, but he’s not going to make it in NY. 

As for Lacy, I am perfectly happy with Ivory.  I just wish we could have used that 2nd on a TE, or safety 

F that. We need to know if we're drafting another QB next year. Let Geno sink or swim.

That worked out so well for Sanchez. Let him sit a year and draft a QB next year if its appropriate anyway. Drafting Geno in the 2nd this year shouldn't mean not drafting a QB next season if we feel there is a franchise QB for us to take.

It is true. He is the best option. Which is sad really. Hopefully, Smith is ready next season and we can end the Sanchez error in 2014. Unless he pulls an Eli or Alex Smith, but I doubt it with this cast of characters.

I couldn't possibly disagree more.  The only things Sanchez is the best option for are:

1. losing and assuring the Jets of a top 5 pick in next year's draft;

2. continuing the circus atmosphere around the Jets;

3. probably costing Rex Ryan his HC gig with the NY Jets; and

4.quite possibly costing Rex any future chance of getting a HC job in the NFL.

I definitely don't want Smith starting in any case.  I think he has the potential to become a franchise QB, but think he needs time to adjust to the NFL, straighten out his techniques, and learn the offense pressure free.  In addition, I want to make sure that when he does start that he has quality playmakers to work with and a solid OL to protect him.  That won't happen in 2013,

Hence, I'd rather trot out Garrard or McElroy and let them play.  I think Sanchez should be dropped unless they plan on tanking it this season to try to get one of the top QBs or Clowney.  I don't want them to do that and don't think they will, so Sanchez should go.  If Smith proves to be ready by mid-season, the OL has gelled and is playing well, then perhaps Smith could start the remaining games of the season, but I don't want to see Sanchez on the field for the Jets again unless it is to just take a beating while the OL gels.

at this point, I feel like just get Sanchez and Rex back in there for one more year and then get them both the hell out of here.  Not that i have beef w Rex like I do Sanchez but he's guilty by association.  

If it will assure us that Rex is gone after this season, then I would be in favor of Sanchez staying and starting.

IMO that would be the worst, the dumbest thing they could possibly do.  Yeah, let's not learn anything from how we handled Sanchez.  Let's just throw Smith in and ruin whatever chances he has of developing into either our franchise QB, quality backup or trade material.  Smith doesn't have to play a down for the Jets to know whether or not they need to draft a QB in next year's draft.  They can see how he works with the coaches, if he is coachable, and if so, if he is improving.  They can see how he plays in practice, his work ethic, and what leadership abilities he has.

Besides, there's a school of thought that says teams should draft a QB every year regardless.  You may think you have your franchise-caliber starting QB, then could draft a developmental QB in a middle or lower round that could turn out to be better than your starter.  Even if not, he could develop into a great backup and someone to continually push the starter or someone that could be traded for a 2nd or even 1st round draft pick.

I think the Jets should keep drafting a QB every year until they have a great one, a true franchise-caliber QB.

he looks like a european tennis player with this image, not a NFL QB

This might be sheer brilliance on the part of Sanchez.  After reading recent posts on here, it is clear that the image of a professional athlete has changed radically in NY.   Sanchez has a plan.

During camp he is going to announce he is coming out of the closet.   he will immediately go from being one of the most hated players in NYC, to an absolute hero.  All we will be hearing about is his courage.

Scribes will be writing articles that he cannot be cut, or it will be a clear indication that the Jets are homophobic.  Woody will insist that Sanchez start. There will be thousands of posts on here supporting him.  The number of registered posters will double.  People will be talking about the ring of honor.

This kid might be a crappy QB, but he is smart.   After all this is 2013

IMO that would be the worst, the dumbest thing they could possibly do.  Yeah, let's not learn anything from how we handled Sanchez.  Let's just throw Smith in and ruin whatever chances he has of developing into either our franchise QB, quality backup or trade material.  Smith doesn't have to play a down for the Jets to know whether or not they need to draft a QB in next year's draft.  They can see how he works with the coaches, if he is coachable, and if so, if he is improving.  They can see how he plays in practice, his work ethic, and what leadership abilities he has.

Besides, there's a school of thought that says teams should draft a QB every year regardless.  You may think you have your franchise-caliber starting QB, then could draft a developmental QB in a middle or lower round that could turn out to be better than your starter.  Even if not, he could develop into a great backup and someone to continually push the starter or someone that could be traded for a 2nd or even 1st round draft pick.

I think the Jets should keep drafting a QB every year until they have a great one, a true franchise-caliber QB.

This.  Geno is a long way from being a sure thing, but he has enough raw talent to have a shot at being a starting-quality NFL QB.  It will be easy enough to evaluate him without going to the extreme of throwing him to the wolves to see if he survives.   

This might be sheer brilliance on the part of Sanchez.  After reading recent posts on here, it is clear that the image of a professional athlete has changed radically in NY.   Sanchez has a plan.

During camp he is going to announce he is coming out of the closet.   he will immediately go from being one of the most hated players in NYC, to an absolute hero.  All we will be hearing about is his courage.

Scribes will be writing articles that he cannot be cut, or it will be a clear indication that the Jets are homophobic.  Woody will insist that Sanchez start. There will be thousands of posts on here supporting him.  The number of registered posters will double.  People will be talking about the ring of honor.

At least that would explains why he is so comfortable sucking.

Like it or not, Sanchez is the best man to start for Jets this season

By MARK CANNIZZARO

Last Updated: 8:25 AM, May 3, 2013

Posted: 1:04 AM, May 3, 2013

Jets Blog

Mark Cannizzaro

“I’m the luckiest guy in the world.”

Those words came from Mark Sanchez yesterday during a 20-minute interview session — his first public words since the Jets selected West Virginia quarterback Geno Smith in the second round of the NFL Draft last week.

Asked if he expects to be the opening-day starter, Sanchez, with no hesitation, said: “Of course.’’

Asked if he still views himself as the future of the franchise, Sanchez responded: “Absolutely.’’

If you’re thinking that Sanchez sounds like a guy whistling past a graveyard after midnight, you are not alone.

Right, Mark, the man with 52 turnovers in the last year and a half is the best option.  No team  could upgrade with that kind of an option.

If you are thinking there should have been a #delusional hashtag at the end of those Sanchez statements, you are not alone.

But here’s some sobering news, Jets fans (look away Sanchez haters and detractors, because you’re not going to like this): The Jets’ starting quarterback in 2013 will be Sanchez.

The Jets’ best chance to win however many games they might win in 2013 with their depleted depth chart will be with Sanchez at quarterback.

Not Smith, who is raw and will be best-served to watch and learn for a year.

Not David Garrard, who is 35 years old and hasn’t played an NFL game since 2010.

Not Greg McElroy, who’s a smart kid but does not have the arm or durability to be a legitimate NFL starter.

Not Matt Simms, who appears to be nothing more than a training camp arm — if he lasts that long.

If that five-man quarterback competition that general manager John Idzik has been promoting like a realtor trying to sell a quiet three-bedroom colonial alongside the Jersey Turnpike is completely objective, then Sanchez will be the starter when the season begins.

Idzik might have had the last say in the draft, but coach Rex Ryan will have the final say on who plays and who doesn’t by the end of training camp.

And Ryan, who is coaching for his job this year, has one charge in 2013 and that is to win games and preserve his head coaching career. So he’s going to pick the starting quarterback who will best help him win games now — not develop someone for the future

The future for Ryan and Sanchez is now, 2013.

“I think I’ve seen pretty much everything,’’ Sanchez said of the numerous potholes in his career, merely in its fifth year.

The one thing Sanchez, a starter in each of his four NFL seasons, has not yet seen is life as a backup, which will be his fate if he doesn’t show major improvement in 2013 from the last two seasons — a chore that begins with protecting the football.

Sanchez insisted time and again yesterday that he was not rattled, disappointed or ticked off when the Jets drafted Smith.

“They’re going to try to get this team better, bring in the best talent available on the [draft] board and do their job the best they can,’’ Sanchez said. “For them, the draft is a third-and-5 and they’re trying to convert. When it’s my turn to convert the third-and-5, I’ll do that.’’

A good analogy by Sanchez, but it’s a bit Pollyanna for him to think it’s merely third-and-5 for him. It’s more like fourth-and-17 with his career as an NFL starter hanging in the balance.

“Is it a make-or-break kind of thing?’’ Sanchez said. “I feel like it’s that way every year.’’

Sanchez knows exactly how Jets fans feel about him and he knows he’s fighting for his career now, but he refuses to allow himself to become overwhelmed by looking too hard at the big picture.

“Why worry about that?’’ he said. “There’s not enough hours in a day to worry about what fans and media are saying — if this is my last chance. It’s too much. I’ve got to just focus on the reads, the footwork, let your play take care of itself and have fun doing that.

“I’m the luckiest guy in the world.’’

mark.cannizzaro@nypost.com

Cannizzaro should stick with golf'.  Sanchez will be cut, so that Rex does not fall back in love with him and screw everything up all over again..  Another vet will be signed as injury insurance for the inevitable Garrard misfortune.

I think your onto something

3068d1284604439-sanchez-sun-came-up-we-k

mark-sanchez-223x300.jpg

Hahahahaha... I literally just clicked this thread after seeing that photo on ESPN with the intention of making this exact post. Well done.

I hate this ******* guy.

the white pedal pushers were worse.

Lets assume Sanchez is not even on the team .... Are you ok with the WR/TE situation ? Sure we have some backs who can catch now but do you think its a good idea to bring a Rookie in with Santonio and the practice squad bunch ? We dont even know if Hill learned to catch yet .

Archived