Cimini: Ditka Call the Jets a Joke

flgreen

Ditka calls the Jets a 'joke'

May, 7, 2013
May 7

7:14

PM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

Iron Mike Ditka dropped the hammer on the Jets.

The Hall of Famer, a guest Tuesday afternoon on SiriusXM NFL Radio, continued his staunch defense of Tim Tebow, expressing his belief that the much-maligned Tebow can play quarterback in the NFL. Ditka chided the Broncos for trading Tebow (last season's playoff appearance with Peyton Manning must have slipped his mind) before turning his aim on the Jets, who released Tebow last week after one disastrous season.

"The thing in New York was kind of a joke, which I think they are a joke anyway," said Ditka, an ESPN studio analyst.

Ditka also unloaded on QB Mark Sanchez.

"Right now, I think Sanchez's psyche is smashed," he said. "I mean, it's shattered. He has to get his confidence back before he can do anything."

How do you really feel, Mike?

May, 7, 2013

May 7

PM ET

The Hall of Famer, a guest Tuesday afternoon on SiriusXM NFL Radio, continued his staunch defense of Tim Tebow, expressing his belief that the much-maligned Tebow can play quarterback in the NFL. Ditka chided the Broncos for trading Tebow (last season's playoff appearance with Peyton Manning must have slipped his mind) before turning his aim on the Jets, who released Tebow last week after one disastrous season.

"The thing in New York was kind of a joke, which I think they are a joke anyway," said Ditka, an ESPN studio analyst.

"Right now, I think Sanchez's psyche is smashed," he said. "I mean, it's shattered. He has to get his confidence back before he can do anything."

Or, maybe the playoff appearance was on his mind and he remember that Tebow actually won a playoff game for Denver and Manning didnt?

FWIW - I like jokes. They make me laugh.

Ditka--why are the Jets a joke?  Because they released a guy who nobody else in the NFL will sign? Ditka--you are a joke.  Without Buddy Ryan's 46 D you would never have won anything.

ZING!!! I can't wait to see how he responds to this... oh man!

Or, maybe he the playoff appearance was on his mind and he remember that Tebow actually won a playoff game for Denver and Manning didnt?

FWIW - I like jokes.  They make me laugh. 

Seriously? Mark Sanchez won 4 playoff games. By your logic that makes him four times better than Tebow. 

May, 7, 2013

May 7

PM ET

Credibility - Mike Ditka has none.

Seriously? Mark Sanchez won 4 playoff games. By your logic that makes him four times better than Tebow. 

Who said anything about better?  I was just commenting on the playoff appearance that slipped his mind and maybe Ditka remember that Tebow actually won a playoff game for Denver and Manning didnt. 

Who said anything about better?  I was just commenting on the playoff appearance that slipped his mind and maybe Ditka remember that Tebow actually won a playoff game for Denver and Manning didnt. 

Again, seriously? Tebow beat a banged up Steelers team that was a shell of itself, Manning lost to the eventual Super Bowl Champs and if John Fox wasn't such a huge pussy he probably would have won. 

Again, seriously? Tebow beat a banged up Steelers team that was a shell of itself, Manning lost to the eventual Super Bowl Champs and if John Fox wasn't such a huge pussy he probably would have won. 

Still not sure what any of this has to do with the playoffs "slipping Ditka's mind", per this writer.  Both players got the Broncos to the playoffs.  One player succeeded in winning a game, the other did not.  

When a clown calls you a joke, are you twice the joke? Or do they cancel each other out?

On another matter....

He's 100% right on this one.

When a clown calls you a joke, are you twice the joke? Or do they cancel each other out?

On another matter....

He's 100% right on this one.

While he is correct about the confidence thing, why is it everyone else's fault that Sanchez "lost his confidence" and not Sanchez's? I'm not saying that's what you are implying, but that seems to be the general tone from any outlet running with the lost confidence plot line.

I think Ditka's thinking on Tebow is affected by the fact that Ditka coached one of the most dominant teams in history, the '85 Chicago Bears, who had Jim McMahon at QB.

McMahon was considered a hotshot coming out of college, but he really was journeyman.  But for that one golden season he was a superstar.  He showed up wearing a punk haircut and punk clothes, and his brash personality became the symbol of the team.  For that one year, he basically willed the team into a great season.  After that, he fell off considerably, though he did hang around the league a long time.

Tebow couldn't be more different from McMahon personality wise, but he was very similar in how he could get a team behind him.  I think that Ditka became convinced with McMahon that personality trumps talent, a leader who can get his team believing in him will take you very, very far.  That's why I think Ditka is behind Tebow.

Archived