There’s considerable pressure on Demario Davis this season

F.Chowds

Jets LB Demario Davis looks to fill shoes of Bart Scott, make his own name.

Demario Davis sits quietly at the far corner of the locker room, where, on a good day, he can remain distant from the noise, the cameras and the clutter that often permeates his personal space.

Rex Ryan once compared his first impressions of Davis to that of Ravens legend Ray Lewis, a player with a signature dance, the pull of a preacher and the knockout glare underneath his helmet.

He is also asking him to replace the equally clamorous Bart Scott, whose bravado has roamed the Jets locker room every season Ryan has been head coach.

But Davis, now in his second season with the Jets, prefers to operate under the radar. He speaks softly, reserving most of his conversation for Twitter, where he regularly updates his timeline with inspirational and religious messages. He doesn’t feel the need to shout, stomp or holler during the early spring workouts to announce his presence.

“I don’t feel like I have to overexert myself,” Davis said. “I have a locker room full of guys that respect me because they know I respect them. To get respect you have to give it, and I think the guys respect me for who I am.”

For a player drawing comparisons to Lewis and replacing Scott it sounds like a departure from the stereotypical mentality of an inside linebacker. But Davis, who will slide into Scott’s spot alongside veteran David Harris, is looking forward to the chance to put his own mark on the position.

“We’re two different guys,” Davis said of himself and Scott. “I took a lot of things from him, his approach to the game, the way he played the game – he was very physical. Very high energy. Some of the things he taught me I’ll never forget.” 

After making his mark as a linebacker in sub packages last year, playing a total of 315 snaps, Davis will be asked to undertake a much larger role in 2013. Scott, who missed a game due to injury and was removed on many passing downs, played almost double.

“I’ve been asked to do different things throughout my career, so stepping up and taking that load will be absolutely no problem,” Davis said. “It’s definitely a bigger responsibility stepping up to not only be a force on the defense but to be a leader on the defense.

“Taking hold of this thing is something I’m looking forward to.”

The inside linebacker position is more natural to Davis, he says, and one he began perfecting this offseason with the aid of Harris. The two began texting shortly after the season ended and have developed an on-field competition during workouts.

Davis hopes to absorb Harris’ instinct and institutional knowledge while pushing him physically.

“He challenges me more in the mental portion,” Davis said. “I try and challenge him more in the physical portion, making sure he’s keeping his wheels going, keeping his speed up and making sure he’s agile. It’s a give-give situation.”

From his locker, he has a clear view of the spot vacated by Scott. He’s also a few lockers away from Bryan Thomas, who will more than likely not return. Outside of Calvin Pace and Harris, the linebacker core that has been intact for the past four seasons is gone.

But Davis, an agent of change, doesn’t see that as a bad thing.

“It’s a new feel but it’s a bunch of young guys who can work together,” Davis said. “It’s a brotherhood; we have an opportunity to grow together

I could give a ****less what he thinks about anything as long as he can play.

i don't give a sh*t what he thinks either. but its bad enough everyone thinks the jets are a joke and then we have morons going out and making ridiculous bigotted comments in public forums.

isn't this the idiot who criticzed that gay basketball player?

Yeah, thats what happens when a gay basketball player wants to make it a public announcement. Dont want the criticism? Then dont make it a topic of discussion for the public. He can be gay without forcing others to accept his gayness.

Hes 235 pounds Scott 250 + so that tells me Harris who is bigger will be taking on Scotts role not Davis.

Davis is better suited to the 4-3 hopefully we see more of that this year with Richardson in the Mix because no way in hell Davis can take on Guards Like Scott did his early days on the Jets.

NY Jets linebacker, devout Christian DeMario Davis puts his gay stance aside

Davis, who says he would have no issue having a gay teammate, tells the News that his moral compass is informed strictly by his interpretation of the Bible, and while he does not condone homosexuality, he equates it with any other action a person might take that Davis disagrees with and says it does not affect his relationship with that person.
Comments (6)
By Seth Walder  / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Thursday, May 9, 2013, 10:46 PM.

Print

Jets linebacker Demario Davis 
CHRIS SZAGOLA/LANDOV

Despite his religious beliefs, DeMario Davis says he would maintain the same relationship with a gay teammate as any other teammate.

Jets linebacker and devout Christian DeMario Davis believes homosexuality is a sin, but says he would have no issue having a gay teammate.

“If someone was to come out on our team, we’re a team that’s about winning,” Davis said in an interview this week with the Daily News. “When it comes to the (Jets), I put my personal beliefs separate from the team.”

“I want people to understand how DeMario Davis feels versus how the Jets feel. How we feel as an entire organization? We’re about winning. It’s a business of winning,” the presumed starter at inside linebacker added. “Anybody that can help our team, we’re more than happy to have them. It’s that same open-arms approach: we respect all in our locker room. We love all in our locker room.”

Davis says his moral compass is informed strictly by his interpretation of the Bible, and while he does not condone homosexuality, he equates it with any other action a person might take that Davis disagrees with and says it does not affect his relationship with that person.

“According to the scriptures, and God’s law, homosexuality is wrong. The act is wrong,” Davis said. “I’ve got homosexuals in my family who I love to death. I’ve got drunks in my family. I’ve got people who have premarital sex in my family. And I don’t agree with any of those things, but I still love and respect those people.”

Jason Collins, the NBA player who recently came out as gay, also considers himself a Christian. As the first active male pro athlete to come out in a major American team sport, Collins has prompted other athletes to offer their perspective. Davis says he cannot embrace homosexuality and consider himself a Christian.

“The way that person would be viewed would not be changed. If that person were to go on and say he’s a Christian and he’s homosexual that doesn’t change how I feel about him,” he says. “That’s his view, and I have mine.”

In response to Davis’ comments, a team spokesman said: “Here at the Jets, we welcome diversity regardless of an individual’s religion, race, color or sexual orientation.”

Jim Buzinski, co-founder of gay sports website Outsports.com, said he isn’t concerned with Davis’ personal beliefs on homosexuality as long as he would treat a gay teammate exactly the same as a straight teammate.

“In some ways his religious views on homosexuality are kind of irrelevant of the subject. I’m not going to give him credit for it,” said Buzinski. “I would judge him literally on how he treated a teammate.”

DeMario Davis is speaking on the subject because he felt the debate over homosexuality and Christianity was often one-sided after ESPN’s Chris Broussard was criticized for comments made on the network.
LEE S. WEISSMAN/LANDOV

DeMario Davis is speaking on the subject because he felt the debate over homosexuality and Christianity was often one-sided after ESPN’s Chris Broussard was criticized for comments made on the network.

Assuming Davis held true to his statement that he would separate his religious views from the locker room and maintain the same relationship with a gay teammate as any other teammate, Buzinski said, “That’s obviously a fairly big change in some ways from the past when they used to use religion as a reason to not welcome (gay teammates). So in some ways I guess it’s a small victory.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jet-puts-gay-stance-article-1.1340055#ixzz2StXDGheC

NY Jets linebacker, devout Christian DeMario Davis puts his gay stance aside

Davis, who says he would have no issue having a gay teammate, tells the News that his moral compass is informed strictly by his interpretation of the Bible, and while he does not condone homosexuality, he equates it with any other action a person might take that Davis disagrees with and says it does not affect his relationship with that person.

Comments (6)

By Seth Walder  / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Thursday, May 9, 2013, 10:46 PM.

Print

Jets linebacker Demario Davis 

CHRIS SZAGOLA/LANDOV

Despite his religious beliefs, DeMario Davis says he would maintain the same relationship with a gay teammate as any other teammate.

Jets linebacker and devout Christian DeMario Davis believes homosexuality is a sin, but says he would have no issue having a gay teammate.

“If someone was to come out on our team, we’re a team that’s about winning,” Davis said in an interview this week with the Daily News. “When it comes to the (Jets), I put my personal beliefs separate from the team.”

“I want people to understand how DeMario Davis feels versus how the Jets feel. How we feel as an entire organization? We’re about winning. It’s a business of winning,” the presumed starter at inside linebacker added. “Anybody that can help our team, we’re more than happy to have them. It’s that same open-arms approach: we respect all in our locker room. We love all in our locker room.”

Davis says his moral compass is informed strictly by his interpretation of the Bible, and while he does not condone homosexuality, he equates it with any other action a person might take that Davis disagrees with and says it does not affect his relationship with that person.

“According to the scriptures, and God’s law, homosexuality is wrong. The act is wrong,” Davis said. “I’ve got homosexuals in my family who I love to death. I’ve got drunks in my family. I’ve got people who have premarital sex in my family. And I don’t agree with any of those things, but I still love and respect those people.”

Jason Collins, the NBA player who recently came out as gay, also considers himself a Christian. As the first active male pro athlete to come out in a major American team sport, Collins has prompted other athletes to offer their perspective. Davis says he cannot embrace homosexuality and consider himself a Christian.

“The way that person would be viewed would not be changed. If that person were to go on and say he’s a Christian and he’s homosexual that doesn’t change how I feel about him,” he says. “That’s his view, and I have mine.”

In response to Davis’ comments, a team spokesman said: “Here at the Jets, we welcome diversity regardless of an individual’s religion, race, color or sexual orientation.”

Jim Buzinski, co-founder of gay sports website Outsports.com, said he isn’t concerned with Davis’ personal beliefs on homosexuality as long as he would treat a gay teammate exactly the same as a straight teammate.

“In some ways his religious views on homosexuality are kind of irrelevant of the subject. I’m not going to give him credit for it,” said Buzinski. “I would judge him literally on how he treated a teammate.”

LEE S. WEISSMAN/LANDOV

Assuming Davis held true to his statement that he would separate his religious views from the locker room and maintain the same relationship with a gay teammate as any other teammate, Buzinski said, “That’s obviously a fairly big change in some ways from the past when they used to use religion as a reason to not welcome (gay teammates). So in some ways I guess it’s a small victory.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jet-puts-gay-stance-article-1.1340055#ixzz2StXDGheC

Sounds like a great man.

Yeah, thats what happens when a gay basketball player wants to make it a public announcement. Dont want the criticism? Then dont make it a topic of discussion for the public. He can be gay without forcing others to accept his gayness.

i agree that i always thought it was weird that gay people felt they had to announce it. that said, the comments demario made were beyond stupid

Archived