ESPN- Geno Gets an "F"

Ken Schroy

That is what SportsCenter had on their Screen tag at 6 pm. They then started the piece with the "circus" line. They then showed the footage from the Green Room, when he was waiting to be picked. They then called him a Diva with an attitude. Then Rex stood up for him and said he didn't know what a Diva QB looked like. He said he looked like he had studied and was ready to work hard. As an aside, do you think any other rookie QB's will get this kind of scrutiny?

Unreal, leave the kid alone.

That is what SportsCenter had on their Screen tag at 6 pm. They then started the piece with the "circus" line. They then showed the footage from the Green Room, when he was waiting to be picked. They then called him a Diva with an attitude. Then Rex stood up for him and said he didn't know what a Diva QB looked like. He said he looked like he had studied and was ready to work hard. As an aside, do you think any other rookie QB's will get this kind of scrutiny?

Unreal, leave the kid alone.

geno smith gave himself an F. He said hes his own worst critic

When was the last time that the NFL predictions like ESPN and others got it wrong? As they got it wrong with Geno in the first round!

Whether they're right or wrong is irrelevant IMO. It's the blatant hypocrisy that bothers me.

Taking the best QB in the draft per your own analysts in the 2nd round for a team with no franchise QB grades out an F???

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/jets/2013/05/10/geno-smith-rookie-minicamp-grade-f/2151061/

No work ethic:

And he got in and out of the huddle quickly, thanks in part to a
playbook study group with the offensive linemen that he called at the
players' hotel Thursday night.

Diva:

Smith also handled the media well by declining to speak about the
process of hiring another agent but refusing to duck any questions about
the criticisms he's heard recently while also not firing back.

Not a leader:

Guard Will Campbell was among those saying he's ready to follow.

"It felt like he's been through this already," said Campbell, the team's
sixth-round pick, "just the way he spoke and how he just stepped out and
helped me out real fast."

Geno Smith rips appear to be off target, as NY Jets QB shows no sign of diva behavior at rookie camp

None of the past scrutiny should matter at a time when Smith’s primary objective is 'just focusing on bettering myself daily and trying to master this offense and just be one of the guys.'
Comments (3)
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Saturday, May 11, 2013, 12:42 AM.

Geno Smith looks more like a leader than the prima donna he was portrayed to be in the immediate days before and after draft. Rex Ryan (l.) likes what he sees of QB at Jets’ camp.

Geno Smith will have days when he makes silly mistakes, forgettable moments that all rookie quarterbacks endure on fall Sundays, but he shouldn’t be defined by the recent unattributed assaults on his character.

Smith, portrayed as a diva with questionable leadership skills by several unnamed NFL executives in media reports, absorbed many post-draft pot shots before he even took his first snap at Jets rookie minicamp in Florham Park on Friday.

“I don’t resent any of it,” Smith said after practice. “I don’t pay attention to any of it. I just focus on what I can control.

“I think I’ve always been just a natural leader,” he later added. “That’s something that my teammates of the past can attest to. Now, it’s about getting to know these guys and allowing them to understand me and let me lead them in a way.”

The avalanche of criticism started before the draft in a scathing report in one publication that questioned Smith’s character and work ethic. Smith’s decision to fire his agents days after he fell out of the first round further emboldened his critics. Subsequent reports that he was preoccupied with texting friends during pre-draft team visits painted an even more unflattering picture.

“Maybe I don’t know what the diva behavior looks like, but he certainly didn’t do it here,” Rex Ryan said Friday. “He’s a football player that you can tell loved the game. . . . I never saw that at all.”

Whether the examples from unattributed NFL types are true or not is largely irrelevant now.

None of the past scrutiny should matter at a time when Smith’s primary objective is “just focusing on bettering myself daily and trying to master this offense and just be one of the guys.”

Smith, who is his own harshest critic, gave himself an “F” on his first day on the job, “because I want to be A-plus,” but the truth is that he showed promise, going 6-for-10 in 11-on-11 drills.

Rex Ryan says Geno Smith did throw the ball in rhythm pretty well.

Rex Ryan says Geno Smith did throw the ball in rhythm pretty well.

Smith operated out of the shotgun formation for the most part at West Virginia, but took 20 of his 25 snaps in 7-on-7 and 11-on-11 drills under center on Friday. “It felt like a natural transition,” Smith said. “It didn’t feel too odd to me.”

“There’s obviously a lot of things that have to get better,” Ryan said. “For the most part, he did throw the ball in rhythm pretty well. I thought he was fairly accurate with it.”

The scrutiny grabbed the headlines, but Smith said that he immersed himself in offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg’s playbook for the past two weeks. He spent Thursday night at a hotel going over cadences and nuances of the playbook with the offensive

“I’ve been studying my butt off,” Smith said. “I’ve been in the playbook learning formations and learning protections.”

The Jets didn’t use a second-round pick on Smith for him to carry a clipboard all season.

With Mark Sanchez’s long-term future with the Jets in doubt, Smith will certainly have an opportunity to start in 2013 regardless of whether he wins the three-way quarterback competition (that also includes David Garrard) this summer.

General manager John Idzik needs to find out if Smith can be the franchise quarterback before next year’s draft.

He’s already learned that the rookie can withstand some of the heat off the field.

Smith handled the swarm of media Friday like an engaging veteran, surely bothered on some level by the recent shots, but smart enough not to reveal it. He looked each questioner in the eye.

His cellphone was nowhere to be found.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/mehta-geno-rips-target-sign-diva-camp-article-1.1341103#ixzz2Sz0IPmGX

I think we get too carried away by an article or segment on a sports network.

This was not a highly ranked draft class for QB's, all of these guys would be later round picks in a normal year.  I'm not surprised Geno fell to second, considering that fact.  The specific criticisms of him seem odd, like that overreported incident of his not being sociable at some team's weird meeting of all the potential draftees and coaches.

Fact is he's here, now let's see what the Jets can do with him.

Whether they're right or wrong is irrelevant IMO. It's the blatant hypocrisy that bothers me.

Taking the best QB in the draft per your own analysts in the 2nd round for a team with no franchise QB grades out an F???

Fair and balanced.

Archived