If Vick gets cut...

Greenseed4

Continued rumblings out of Philadelphia have speculated that Chip Kelly might decide to make Mike Vick a surprising camp casualty.  His one year $7.5M salary has already paid out a $3.5M signing bonus, meaning such a move would save the club $4M.  While I would think Vick would excel in an up-tempo offense, Vick's decision making has been called into question and youngsters Nick Foles and Matt Barkely may be making a strong case for the team to cut ties with their injury prone starter.  

1. Vick has experience in Mornhinweg's offense, and may even be able to mentor Geno Smith in a way that we envisioned Garrard doing.  While he may not be a top-16 QB in this league, and definitely wouldn't have the offensive fire-power or chemistry he's accustomed to...he would know the system extremely well. 

2. His offset salary, and our current salary cap makes him an affordable hire, with starting experience...and an upgrade at the position.

3. He wouldn't be looked at as a long term solution, but rather a way to hold the fort until his injuries (not poor play) push Geno into action.

Has Mark Sanchez' play been "horrible" enough for the fan base to actually accept Mike Vick?  Does Vick have the skills or mentality to better mentor Geno than say, Sanchez (an obvious contender in direct competition)?  Would being brought along as a back-up be better for Geno's development?  Would Vick being a leftie have a negative impact on our OL gelling together? 

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/2107/michael-vick

the only media worse than the jets beat hacks are  philly beat hacks.  they are just stirring sh*t up

kellys problem is going to be running his high tempo offense with 23 players instead of 40

won't work

Continued rumblings out of Philadelphia have speculated that Chip Kelly might decide to make Mike Vick a surprising camp casualty.  His one year $7.5M salary has already paid out a $3.5M signing bonus, meaning such a move would save the club $4M.  While I would think Vick would excel in an up-tempo offense, Vick's decision making has been called into question and youngsters Nick Foles and Matt Barkely may be making a strong case for the team to cut ties with their injury prone starter.  

1. Vick has experience in Mornhinweg's offense, and may even be able to mentor Geno Smith in a way that we envisioned Garrard doing.  While he may not be a top-16 QB in this league, and definitely wouldn't have the offensive fire-power or chemistry he's accustomed to...he would know the system extremely well. 

2. His offset salary, and our current salary cap makes him an affordable hire, with starting experience...and an upgrade at the position.

3. He wouldn't be looked at as a long term solution, but rather a way to hold the fort until his injuries (not poor play) push Geno into action.

Has Mark Sanchez' play been "horrible" enough for the fan base to actually accept Mike Vick?  Does Vick have the skills or mentality to better mentor Geno than say, Sanchez (an obvious contender in direct competition)?  Would being brought along as a back-up be better for Geno's development?  Would Vick being a leftie have a negative impact on our OL gelling together? 

Oh boy, the PC's would have a field day with this.

Just can't see Idzik going there.  I also agree with Larz.  The Philly media is brutal, as are their fans

Oh boy, the PC's would have a field day with this.

Just can't see Idzik going there.  I also agree with Larz.  The Philly media is brutal, as are their fans

Idzik "going there" would definitely be an eye opener.  It would imply that he wants to win this year, and will actually make use of his remaining cap space to improve the team.  I'm a Sanchez supporter, so this is especially intriguing to me.  Due to his physical abilities and experience in the offense, Vick would be the best QB on our roster and allow us to part ways with Sanchez...Cut the cord, and move on.  

The question is whether Vick could assist in Geno's development.  He's never struck me as an academic quarterback, just one that gets by using his athletic gifts. 

Gifts that could compensate for our offensive shortcomings. 

I can't see it happening unless it turns out Mornhinweg really loves the guy AND the Jets can get him for very cheap and relatively early on in camp.  Beyond that happening, they'll just stick with using camp to determine whether or not they should let Sanchez get his ass kicked for a few weeks before handing the reigns over to Geno.

I can't see it happening unless it turns out Mornhinweg really loves the guy AND the Jets can get him for very cheap and relatively early on in camp.  Beyond that happening, they'll just stick with using camp to determine whether or not they should let Sanchez get his ass kicked for a few weeks before handing the reigns over to Geno.

Vick has been in the same system (Mornhinwegs), since Sanchez has been in the league.  Four years running the same system would make for a smoother transition onto this team, than any other QB in the league could offer.  It would provide a veteran presence that is not in direct competition with Geno.

But perhaps most importantly, It would make us contenders for the "hard stretch" of games (Patriots, Falcons, Steelers, Bengals and the Saints) that everyone is either writing off as losses, or suggesting we toss Sanchez to the wolves for those games so as to not bruise our rookie's ego.  Vick makes those teams gameplan a little differently when they play us...that's an advantage.

The question comes down to ticket sales.  Has Mark Sanchez made it to where a former dog-fighter is better received by the fans than his play?   

+1. :rim:

Damn, you're harsh.

No way, man. I like me some Mark.

Four years ago there was no way in hell Woody would have taken the PR hit that is Mike Vick. But given the way this board talks about Mark's shenanigans (butt fumbling, turnovers, and personal life)... I wonder if the limit has been reached.

The Mornhinwig connection is just connecting the dots.

Oh f#ck no.  Vick sucks.  F#ck him.  

Idzik "going there" would definitely be an eye opener.  It would imply that he wants to win this year, and will actually make use of his remaining cap space to improve the team.  I'm a Sanchez supporter, so this is especially intriguing to me.  Due to his physical abilities and experience in the offense, Vick would be the best QB on our roster and allow us to part ways with Sanchez...Cut the cord, and move on.  

The question is whether Vick could assist in Geno's development.  He's never struck me as an academic quarterback, just one that gets by using his athletic gifts. 

Gifts that could compensate for our offensive shortcomings. 

I wouldn't want it to happen and can't see Idzik doing that even if Mornhinweg wanted Vick.  Vick would know the system, he is better than Sanchez, and they could use the read-option plays with him.  IMO those would be about the only positives to the situation.  While they are pretty significant, I can't imagine the NY public and media ever accepting Vick and I wouldn't want Vick anywhere near Geno as a mentor.  They're very different types of players and from what little I know, have very different characters.

I can see it now. A lefty QB with either Howard, Popek or Ducasse on his blind side.

How many minutes till the next concussion?

True.  They'd probably have to try to move Brick to RT to protect Vick's blindside, and Howard to LT and that might be every bit as bad.

I wouldn't want it to happen and can't see Idzik doing that even if Mornhinweg wanted Vick. Vick would know the system, he is better than Sanchez, and they could use the read-option plays with him. IMO those would be about the only positives to the situation. While they are pretty significant, I can't imagine the NY public and media ever accepting Vick and I wouldn't want Vick anywhere near Geno as a mentor. They're very different types of players and from what little I know, have very different characters.

Why wouldn't NY accept Vick? Te second he makes a cut and dashes into the end one he'd be loved.

I can see it now. A lefty QB with either Howard, Popek or Ducasse on his blind side.

How many minutes till the next concussion?

True.  They'd probably have to try to move Brick to RT to protect Vick's blindside, and Howard to LT and that might be every bit as bad.

FWIW - Brain Winters. Oday Aboushi  and William Campbell played some Tackle in college. 

FWIW - Brain Winters. Oday Aboushi  and William Campbell played some Tackle in college. 

True, but as Campbell is a raw project, and all are rookies, with only Winters considered to have any real shot at starting and that as an OG, I seriously doubt that the Jets would trust Vick's health to one of them.  Vick would probably be better off with Howard protecting his back than one of those three.

Why wouldn't NY accept Vick? Te second he makes a cut and dashes into the end one he'd be loved.

I just remember the uproar in NY when the whole Vick scandal hit the fan.  Perhaps many fans would accept him, but I think the overall public reaction would be so decidedly negative that Woody would have a hard time with that.  Also, the media would have a field day - it would be like throwing chum to sharks.  There would be a feeding frenzy and the circus would continue.  I could be wrong, of course, I just don't think it would ever fly.

I just remember the uproar in NY when the whole Vick scandal hit the fan.  Perhaps many fans would accept him, but I think the overall public reaction would be so decidedly negative that Woody would have a hard time with that.  Also, the media would have a field day - it would be like throwing chum to sharks.  There would be a feeding frenzy and the circus would continue.  I could be wrong, of course, I just don't think it would ever fly.

don't forget injuries and turning the ball over. I don't want him for those reasons too.

The man has paid his dues, did hard time for the destruction/torture of animals.

I d accept him and hope that he could lead us to a few more wins.  I'd accept him if only to tutor Smith and be a back up. 

Tutor for what?

Ageing players who think they are still starters seldom have any interest in tutoring young players to take their job.   Washed up hasbeen's that can't get a job anywhere else, and have just declared bankruptcy...........................Maybe

That's why they have QB coaches.

Ageing players who think they are still starters seldom have any interest in tutoring young players to take their job. Washed up hasbeen's that can't get a job anywhere else, and have just declared bankruptcy...........................Maybe

That's why they have QB coaches.

First off, Vick getting released is a stretch.

But if it did happen, and we pulled the trigger, he would come in as a starter. Geno would learn behind him, watching him play the position from a vets perspective on the system he's very familiar with.

Vick on the Jets would add an offensive element to balance our D; keep us competitive in the hard stretch of the season. I'm all for it.

No way, man. I like me some Mark.

Four years ago there was no way in hell Woody would have taken the PR hit that is Mike Vick. But given the way this board talks about Mark's shenanigans (butt fumbling, turnovers, and personal life)... I wonder if the limit has been reached.

The Mornhinwig connection is just connecting the dots.

????

He's a single, 25-year-old millionaire who gets laid a lot. WTF is wrong with his personal life? 

The only legitimate reason to cut Sanchez loose is his sh*tty play. 

????

He's a single, 25-year-old millionaire who gets laid a lot. WTF is wrong with his personal life? 

Correct.  That video was the first thing I enjoyed watching him do in the last two years. 

????

did you not read that article from the other day? the reason Sanchez is not as good as Eli is because he is single with no children. HE BETTER SHAPE UP, PRONTO.

Archived