Wilson possible use in safety position

Gastineau Lives

The Jets areconsidering using CB Kyle Wilson at free safety in the base defense this season.
It would be a sensible move. Although Wilson (5'10/190) is undersized for safety, he has enough range to man centerfield, and the Jets' biggest defensive weakness is at free safety. Rookie Dee Milliner has taken Wilson's old starting corner job. The Jets could use Wilson in a Ronde Barber-like role, playing free safety in the base defense and slot cornerback in the nickel and dime. Aug 5 - 5:18 PM

5776.jpg

Thoughts?

Surprised not more comments regarding this topic since it's the one true question mark we have on defense.

They do need to get more athletic, quickly, but Wilson has terrible ball skills. He's a great tackler, but he can't play the ball in the air to save his life.

They do need to get more athletic, quickly, but Wilson has terrible ball skills. He's a great tackler, but he can't play the ball in the air to save his life.

I don't really agree.  His problem appears to be getting his head around.  At S he'd be facing the ball and he looks decent in zone to me.  I think he'd be a good part time S to use against pass happy teams.  The other guys we have are mainly in the box guys.  Seems more like an indictment of Bush than anything else.

I haven't seen enough games over the last year or two to say, but based on what I've seen guys here and on other Jets' sites say, he seems to be much better with the ball in front of him.  I certainly don't think it could hurt much to at least try it.  I wonder if they're considering doing this because they're not happy with Allen and Bush?  It would seem so.  If Wilson is at FS, then that would move Landry back to SS.

I don't really agree.  His problem appears to be getting his head around.  At S he'd be facing the ball and he looks decent in zone to me.  I think he'd be a good part time S to use against pass happy teams.  The other guys we have are mainly in the box guys.  Seems more like an indictment of Bush than anything else.

This

Nobody in this league is too big to wag your finger at. 

This! LOL!

I personally think he's best kept in the slot against the Amendola's of the world, with Cro and Milliner outside(man, there is a LOT! riding on how quickly Dee develops). I'd personally like to get a vet in here with camp cutdowns looming. Not Rhodes, and definitely not Smith. Stick with Allen or Jarret for a preseason game or two and see how they perform. But if their play stinks, get a vet in here

way too small to go up against the TEs in the NFL, he is a good number 3, i say leave him there 

DB's have been getting smaller these days, I'm not worried about it.  I seem to remember Jim Leonhard once owning a healthy Antonio Gates in a playoff game.  If Wilson is better at safety than he is at CB, give it a shot.  Having Cro and Milliner affords us a little bit a of creativity in this area.

DB's have been getting smaller these days, I'm not worried about it.  I seem to remember Jim Leonhard once owning a healthy Antonio Gates in a playoff game.  If Wilson is better at safety than he is at CB, give it a shot.  Having Cro and Milliner affords us a little bit a of creativity in this area.

I'm not sure what the problem is other than this board being full of size queens.  Wouldn't you prefer Wilson right up on Gronkowski to watching Pace flail his arms from 11 yards away?  Sure Wilson is going to get muscled by TEs sometimes, but I think the idea is to have him play FS out in space where we want him to cover ground and break on the ball.  Personally I like Trufant in the slot but he is coming off the ACL IIRC.  Lankster too.  Against the pass our best set might be with Wilson @ FS, Landry SS, with Trufant or Lankster in the slot and Milliner and Cro outside.  The idea is to get the best guys on the field, not be all caught up in labels.

Not a bad idea. Wilson facing the ball may be helpful to his coverage skills. His closing speed and tackling are fine already. Maybe try Bush at slot corner, he seems like more of a finesse cover guy than a physical guy.

Not a bad idea. Wilson facing the ball may be helpful to his coverage skills. His closing speed and tackling are fine already. Maybe try Bush at slot corner, he seems like more of a finesse cover guy than a physical guy.

I think Bush also played CB in college, so it's not like he'd have to learn a new position.

Yeah, I agree with all of this. I think he's a decent CB, actually, but facing the QB from the safety position can only be a plus for him.

it seems Dee Milliner has already unseated Wilson - the former first round bust - and it looks like he will play third fiddle (slot CB) or FS. He could be pretty good as a ballhawk safety, but he doesn't tackle well, especially in space. What he does do relatively well is catch the ball if he doesn't have to first turn and find it.

it seems Dee Milliner has already unseated Wilson - the former first round bust - and it looks like he will play third fiddle (slot CB) or FS. He could be pretty good as a ballhawk safety, but he doesn't tackle well, especially in space. What he does do relatively well is catch the ball if he doesn't have to first turn and find it.

Wilson may have been a little bit disappointing given his draft position, but he's still a better player than he gets credit for around here and by absolutely no measurement does he qualify as a "bust".

I think the exact opposite of what you just said.  His ball skills are marginal, but his tackling is sound.  That's why he's good in the slot, because despite giving up a reception, it's usually for very little gain. 

Welcome to the board!

Wilson may have been a little bit disappointing given his draft position, but he's still a better player than he gets credit for around here and by absolutely no measurement does he qualify as a "bust".

That was the Vlad draft.  By the time we were selecting Kyle Wilson (who Rob Ryan was supposedly gushing over) there was very little talent, save maybe Patrick Robinson selected a few slots later.  But hey, roll the dice--flip a coin.  We could have easily done much, much worse. 

I have said in the past that Wilson would make a great strong safety. He can cover and tackle, he mixes it up in the middle of the field, not afraid to play with the bigger bodies. His biggest fault is when his back is turned to the ball.

Archived