Mark Sanchez to start vs. Detroit

CrazyCarl40

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

very funny but if Geno cant beat him out what does that make him one of Jerry's Kids?

In a school yard brawl a 5th grader should slaughter a 1st grader.  If the 1st grader comes close to beating the 5th grader it indicates the 5th grader is a giant puss wah and the 1st grader got some spunk and will be beating the piss outta everyone when he is in the 5th grade.  

Or maybe he's starting Sanchez because the qb competition has been about even and Sanchize has more game time experience. Also, he probably wants to give Geno more time to prepare and get ready for facing nfl defenses. Not to mention the fact that if Geno was given the heads up to start, it would most likely be seen as the competition being over.

Or Maybe, as Marty said "He deserves it"   Or maybe he's been reading the same reports as Bit.

Just don't think it's because Sanchez has only had one good practice

Or Maybe, as Marty said "He deserves it"   Or maybe he's been reading the same reports as Bit.

Just don't think it's because Sanchez has only had one good practice

They are probably trying to give him every opportunity before totally flushing him down the toilet. It doesn't hurt to try and build his confidence before the start either since it has been missing the last few years.

. Mark basically won this thing and you all don't want to believe the news reports. 

News reports say that the competition is still close.  You can't start both of them.  If you want to read Sanchez starting as indicating he's ahead, fine.  But they've made it clear that it's still close.

If the rookie started the first preseason game it would be widely interpreted that Sanchez is over, regardless if Rex and Marty said it was close or not.

News reports say that the competition is still close.  You can't start both of them.  If you want to read Sanchez starting as indicating he's ahead, fine.  But they've made it clear that it's still close.

If the rookie started the first preseason game it would be widely interpreted that Sanchez is over, regardless if Rex and Marty said it was close or not.

Yes I believe this is an opportunity to save face for Mark from Rex and the coaching staff. Neither QB was way better than the other so far from all the reports.

In a school yard brawl a 5th grader should slaughter a 1st grader.  If the 1st grader comes close to beating the 5th grader it indicates the 5th grader is a giant puss wah and the 1st grader got some spunk and will be beating the piss outta everyone when he is in the 5th grade.  

that doesn't mean start the 1st grader in the 5th grade football team next month. 

bottom line all the Pro-geno posters are overlooking the good week mark's had and the bad week's Geno's had, post scrimmage. 

that doesn't mean start the 1st grader in the 5th grade football team next month. 

bottom line all the Pro-geno posters are overlooking the good week mark's had and the bad week's Geno's had, post scrimmage. 

We overlook them because all we've heard for the past 5 seasons is how good Mark looks in practice only to have him perform atrociously when Sunday comes. 

We already know what a good string of practices leads to with Mark - terrible game play, most of the time. With Geno, he could be a horrible practice guy but light it up during a game for all we know. Even though his practices haven't really been horrible, I'm just trying to make a point.

We overlook them because all we've heard for the past 5 seasons is how good Mark looks in practice only to have him perform atrociously when Sunday comes. 

We already know what a good string of practices leads to with Mark - terrible game play, most of the time. With Geno, he could be a horrible practice guy but light it up during a game for all we know. Even though his practices haven't really been horrible, I'm just trying to make a point.

thats understandable but you can't give a guy a job based on what you hope he does in the game. And forgetting what he does in practice. That's how Mark won the job in the first place, 5 years ago. 

Sanchez got booed at his scrimmage by 6,000 peeps...and after Detroit, It's a home game vs. the Jags. 

Then it's an "away" game against the Giants, then it's a home game against Philly...followed by another home game in week-1 against the Bucs.  That would be four straight Jets games played at MetLife Stadium (possibly) full of 82,000 booing fans. 

When talking about pre-season games, you need to move the comma like so >>>>> 8,200 booing fans

thats understandable but you can't give a guy a job based on what you hope he does in the game. And forgetting what he does in practice. That's how Mark won the job in the first place, 5 years ago. 

Admittedly, I really can't stand watching the Chez be our QB any longer, but I agree with you in saying if Mark outperforms Geno he should get the nod. The next 3 weeks are going to determine who the starter is going to be.

This.

It's 100% right to start the incumbent in the first preseason game. Not a lot to read into here. Wouldn't be surprised if Geno starts the second game. If Mark gets the nod again, then -maybe- we can start to assume that Mark is in the lead. But it's the guy who starts the third preseason game that's gonna start the regular season.

What anyone here wants is not relevant. The whole franchise, coaches and fans want Geno Smith to be amazing.

Start Geno and he will get crushed week 2. Start him after the bye or next season he could be good. He needs practice. and he needs to not be fed to the wolves. 3 years on the bench maybe he's aaron rodgers. It's a shame no one gets that kind of time anymore but it's usually how QBs are developed. if you aren't running spread option

What annoys me about the Geno vs Mark discussion is how the hope that he's the instant messiah has over-ruled what is actually happening in practice. THat's why I'm trolling today. Mark basically won this thing and you all don't want to believe the news reports. 

I don't think Mark has won anything yet.  I think that's waaaaaaaaaaay overstating things.  It's still early.  That said, I agree with the rest of what you have said.  Sanchez should start the season, take whatever pounding is necessary until the OL gels, give Geno time to really get comfortable in the NFL, solidify his footwork, command in the huddle, his ability to read Ds, learn the offense, etc., then bring him in at some point following the 5th -6th game of the season.  It would be absolutely foolish imo to start Geno now just because we're tired of seeing Sanchez.  That would be taking a big chance of ruining him even as a backup.  And if the team starts him and he flops, what then?  They couldn't bring in Sanchez then, and most Jets fans would go nuts if they then had to start McElroy the rest of the season.  The only sane thing is to start Sanchez and then bring Smith in when he's ready.

If the light goes on for Geno between now and the 1st game of the season and he blows the lid off in the remainder of TC, preseason and practices, fine, start him, but if not, then Sanchez should start.

If Gerard was on the roster, I would be all for waiting on Geno until everyone knew he was ready. But we have Sanchez, and yeah pretty much anyone is better.

Garrard not being on the roster shouldn't change anything.  While we all know that Sanchez sucks, the important thing is to not ruin whatever chances Geno has of becoming a quality starter in the NFL.  Force him to start too early and one could very well do that or get him injured if the OL struggles early.  In addition, what do you do if you start Geno just because and he struggles?  You can't turn to Sanchez at that point, so you're forced to start McElroy.  Also, one of the things that hurt Sanchez was forcing him to start too soon and giving him something he hadn't earned.  It would not be smart to make the same mistake with Geno.  The only sensible thing is to start Sanchez.  I'm sick of Sanchez too. It made me sick when Garrard had to retire, but it is what it is.  I'd rather see Sanchez do 5 more butt fumbles and take a merciless pounding in the first 5 games, then bring in Geno and give him a real chance to succeed, than throwing Geno to the wolves and risk destroying whatever potential he has.  It's just not worth it.

Or maybe he's starting Sanchez because the qb competition has been about even and Sanchize has more game time experience. Also, he probably wants to give Geno more time to prepare and get ready for facing nfl defenses. Not to mention the fact that if Geno was given the heads up to start, it would most likely be seen as the competition being over.

Good points!

Before that ONE and only nice play, Sanchez played like he was facing the 85 Bears. Sanchez only had one series against the first team defense and was light years behind Geno (3 series vs the first team defense). in stats before that long TD to the best WR on the team vs a second team scrub who will probably be bagging groceries in a few weeks. The very fact that it is even arguable whether Geno starts or not at this point is a testament to just how bad Sanchez is. Sanchez spent his whole college career in this very same offense, and has 4 years of NFL experience. If Geno is just as good as him at 22 with 4 weeks experience in this offense, its pretty safe to say that he will be better by the beginning of the year.

Not necessarily, but even if it is, it doesn't mean that Geno should start over Sanchez.  I get it.  You're sick of Sanchez and thinking with your heart, but Jets fans need to think with our heads.  We need to think about the long term and not the short term.  Barring a major miracle and divine intervention, Sanchez will be gone and no longer a Jet next year.  Geno could be the long awaited franchise QB we've been needing.  It would be criminally stupid to rush Geno into the starting lineup and risk ruining him just because we were impatient and didn't want to have to see Sanchez any more.  We need to get over that.  Let Geno start when he's ready; otherwise suck it up and start Sanchez.

Garrard not being on the roster shouldn't change anything.  While we all know that Sanchez sucks, the important thing is to not ruin whatever chances Geno has of becoming a quality starter in the NFL.  Force him to start too early and one could very well do that or get him injured if the OL struggles early.  In addition, what do you do if you start Geno just because and he struggles?  You can't turn to Sanchez at that point, so you're forced to start McElroy.  Also, one of the things that hurt Sanchez was forcing him to start too soon and giving him something he hadn't earned.  It would not be smart to make the same mistake with Geno.  The only sensible thing is to start Sanchez.  I'm sick of Sanchez too. It made me sick when Garrard had to retire, but it is what it is.  I'd rather see Sanchez do 5 more butt fumbles and take a merciless pounding in the first 5 games, then bring in Geno and give him a real chance to succeed, than throwing Geno to the wolves and risk destroying whatever potential he has.  It's just not worth it.

If Geno struggles you dial down what you ask him to do and try to win with defense and running the ball. There is no reason to sit and watch butt fumbles this year. There is also the possibility that Geno has a good Rookie year. He wouldn't be the first. Big Ben was not the first QB taken, neither was Russell Wilson. You could protect a young rookie QB with a good gameplan and good defense. You probably can not win a super bowl with that alone - but you could have a decent year and build on it.

Not necessarily, but even if it is, it doesn't mean that Geno should start over Sanchez.  I get it.  You're sick of Sanchez and thinking with your heart, but Jets fans need to think with our heads.  We need to think about the long term and not the short term.  Barring a major miracle and divine intervention, Sanchez will be gone and no longer a Jet next year.  Geno could be the long awaited franchise QB we've been needing.  It would be criminally stupid to rush Geno into the starting lineup and risk ruining him just because we were impatient and didn't want to have to see Sanchez any more.  We need to get over that.  Let Geno start when he's ready; otherwise suck it up and start Sanchez.

Whether a QB has it or not has nothing to do with starting him early. Those teams that waited on their QB's were good football teams to begin with. Eli struggled early - but once they surrounded him with a good team, he played well. Being a good NFL QB has more to do with being able to take hits and still make plays. Might as well find out if this kid has it now because we know Mark doesn't

If Geno struggles you dial down what you ask him to do and try to win with defense and running the ball. There is no reason to sit and watch butt fumbles this year. There is also the possibility that Geno has a good Rookie year. He wouldn't be the first. Big Ben was not the first QB taken, neither was Russell Wilson. You could protect a young rookie QB with a good gameplan and good defense. You probably can not win a super bowl with that alone - but you could have a decent year and build on it.

You still don't address the issue of Geno perhaps not being ready to start.  He is still having issues with reading Ds and calling protections.  He is still adjusting to the speed of the NFL, learning the offense and continuing to get more comfortable with taking snaps directly from under center, his footwork, etc.  Just dialing back the offense doesn't necessarily remove those issues or struggles.  There is NO reason to rush him and have him press and develop bad habits or not correct technical flaws first.  Once one gets on the field and is in the week-to-week grind and under the pressure of performing, fixing those things is nigh on impossible.

There is EVERY reason to sit and watch buttfumbles if Geno isn't ready.  If he is, then no, there isn't a reason to watch Sanchez, but that's a BIG IF.  The fact that he had a bad week of practice clearly indicates to me that he's not a finished product and ready to take the field.

Whether a QB has it or not has nothing to do with starting him early. Those teams that waited on their QB's were good football teams to begin with. Eli struggled early - but once they surrounded him with a good team, he played well. Being a good NFL QB has more to do with being able to take hits and still make plays. Might as well find out if this kid has it now because we know Mark doesn't

Sorry, that's just utter BS and is nothing more than idle speculation.  I've seen it here before and it's still horsebleep.  Yes, some QBs can struggle early and still develop.  Others cannot.  We don't know about Smith, and there's no point risking his being someone who can't struggle early and still develop.  This is not a playoff team anyway, and starting Geno before he's ready is just flat out stupid.  There isn't one rational, compelling, football-related reason for doing it.  It's only because of emotion and fans hating Sanchez.

You still don't address the issue of Geno perhaps not being ready to start.  He is still having issues with reading Ds and calling protections.  He is still adjusting to the speed of the NFL, learning the offense and continuing to get more comfortable with taking snaps directly from under center, his footwork, etc.  There is NO reason to rush him and have him press and develop bad habits or not correct technical flaws first.  Once one gets on the field and is in the week-to-week grind and under the pressure of performing, fixing those things is nigh on impossible.

There is EVERY reason to sit and watch buttfumbles if Geno isn't ready.  If he is, then no, there isn't a reason to watch Sanchez, but that's a BIG IF.  The fact that he had a bad week of practice clearly indicates to me that he's not a finished product and ready to take the field.

I did address the issue. You gameplan accordingly. The Jets gameplanned with a QB who had no rotator cuff - I think they can do the same with a rookie. And it was a bad practice - not a bad week of practices.

Sorry, that's just utter BS and is nothing more than idle speculation.  I've seen it here before and it's still horsebleep.  Yes, some QBs can struggle early and still develop.  Others cannot.  We don't know about Smith, and there's no point risking his being someone who can't struggle early and still develop.  This is not a playoff team anyway, and starting Geno before he's ready is just flat out stupid.  There isn't one rational, compelling, football-related reason for doing it.  It's only because of emotion and fans hating Sanchez.

Success down the road has nothing to do with success early. There are a lot of factors. There is not a straight formula for this. I think relying on the defense early and getting him playing time is the way to go. If you look at the schedule the Jets need to go 3-1 out of the gate for any playoff chance. Sanchez will not get them there.

Success down the road has nothing to do with success early. There are a lot of factors. There is not a straight formula for this. I think relying on the defense early and getting him playing time is the way to go. If you look at the schedule the Jets need to go 3-1 out of the gate for any playoff chance. Sanchez will not get them there.

While I agree that there is not a straight formula for all of this and a lot of factors enter in, we'll just have to agree to disagree on the overall premise.  I don't think it matters who starts at QB for this team, it is not going to be a playoff team barring a miracle.  Expecting Geno to start and go 3-1 out of the gate is totally unrealistic imo.  To me the risks of starting Geno immediately outweigh the benefits.  Just because Flacco, Luck, RG3, the Mannings, and Russell Wilson started as rookies and did well doesn't mean that Geno will.  It doesn't mean that he won't, but considering the very different offensive system he played in, not having had a playbook before, and all the other factors (including his sensitivity and mental makeup), the evidence clearly (imo) indicates that it would be a very risky thing to start Geno immediately.  The safer, and wiser course would be to not rush him and to make sure that he's ready so that when he does play he can play at a pretty high level without struggling and only improve from there.  He could still struggle using that approach, but it would be a LOT less risky.

I did address the issue. You gameplan accordingly. The Jets gameplanned with a QB who had no rotator cuff - I think they can do the same with a rookie. And it was a bad practice - not a bad week of practices.

Not true.  He had rough practices on both Monday and Tuesday, and Mornhinweg himself said that after a hot start to TC, Geno has tailed off a bit lately, thus indicating that perhaps his practice last week before the scrimmage was not what it was earlier in camp.

you guys are hysterical.  All the reports I read have Mark winning this competition outright.  You're deluding yourselves into believing Geno is winning just because you want him to.  Get a grip.

When Mark is announced the starter it's because he's currently a better option.  Not sure about yall but I want the best QB on the roster to play QB when the bullets start flying.

you guys are hysterical.  All the reports I read have Mark winning this competition outright.  You're deluding yourselves into believing Geno is winning just because you want him to.  Get a grip.

When Mark is announced the starter it's because he's currently a better option.  Not sure about yall but I want the best QB on the roster to play QB when the bullets start flying.

Could you please provide a link? I have not seen anyplace that Mark is having the better camp.

While I agree that there is not a straight formula for all of this and a lot of factors enter in, we'll just have to agree to disagree on the overall premise.  I don't think it matters who starts at QB for this team, it is not going to be a playoff team barring a miracle.  Expecting Geno to start and go 3-1 out of the gate is totally unrealistic imo.  To me the risks of starting Geno immediately outweigh the benefits.  Just because Flacco, Luck, RG3, the Mannings, and Russell Wilson started as rookies and did well doesn't mean that Geno will.  It doesn't mean that he won't, but considering the very different offensive system he played in, not having had a playbook before, and all the other factors (including his sensitivity and mental makeup), the evidence clearly (imo) indicates that it would be a very risky thing to start Geno immediately.  The safer, and wiser course would be to not rush him and to make sure that he's ready so that when he does play he can play at a pretty high level without struggling and only improve from there.  He could still struggle using that approach, but it would be a LOT less risky.

Where do you get that it will be a risky thing? Are you saying that because Sanchez started his rookie year, he sucks? Where is this evidence? 

The fact it;s even a race between Geno and Mark says all you need to know about Mark. 

The fact it;s even a race between Geno and Mark says all you need to know about Mark. 

But that's the point..  just because you and the ilk say there's a race, doesn't mean there's a race.  I've read the articles and listened to the interviews and what I'm seeing is telling me that Mark should wrap this up in a couple weeks. 

If he reverts back to last years form you simply yank him outta there.

Why do so many think it's impossible for Mark to play better?  We've all seen him have great games.

Archived