Mehta: Idzik's Terrible Start May be end for Rex

flgreen

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Idzik shouldn't need a new coach to get good offensive players. The GM job is a full time job and he should be doing it on his own.

What would you have done differently to add this offensive talent? We don't have money and you can't kill him for following his draft board in the first round. He took a shot at QB most people considered a top 10 pick in the second. We could have probably added Austin if Rex could keep his mouth shut

Listen, I know he's your guy and all,

Your pessimism is dragging me down.

but when you sign a guy who's been out of the league for two years, and you hope he will compete for -or maybe even be handed- the starting QB job on your team, you really need to be 100% sure that he's going to make it to training camp. If you're not 100% sure, you need to go in another direction. That one's on Idzik.

I agree that he took chances on Ivory and Garrard, and as of right now he's losing on those counts, but as it specifically relates to Garrard, the theory was sound and Garrard pulled the rug out on him. If he merely shows up to camp and ices his knees, the team is in better shape than it is now. This isn't a blown ACL or a bad back. This is a guy with sore knees. How do you predict sore knees?

other than the first round picks the Draft looks fairly crappy so far. Winters, Cambell and Oday don't help this team right now. Geno is not even close to being a starter. How is this better than Tanny?

Brandon Moore started 7+ years in the same spot when you remove a guy like that and replace him with garbage there's gonna be a problem. Maybe Moore is done but Colon/Peterman were terrible signings. To say it's Tanny's fault that he signed David Garrard is complete bull. Idzik could have signed better players, these signings had nothing to do with Tanny.

The difference between me, you and apparently this GM is the emphasis we're putting on helping the team right now. I think Peterman/Colon suck just as bad as you. I actually would have preferred just resigning Moore also if the price was the same but I don't really care. What I want is Winters in there sooner rather then later. Tanny put us in a hole, Idziks job right now is to get us out of it and set us up for next year. We actually have a pretty good young core if things break right but even you can't think the SB is an option this year and if you're not going for that what's the point?

Pittsburgh found weapons with Tommy Maddux at QB. Ben isn't Peyton Manning, he is a good QB - but cmon dude.

Worst, absolutely worst observation in the thread. You take Ben 10 out of 10 times over Peyton Manning. You take his brother Eli the same amount of times over him. Neither of those guys choke in the playoffs, and they both take hits and come back and make big plays, unlike Peyton who rolls over like a dead possum the second you get to him. He is Ray Lewis's bitch! Nobody on earth playing QB is as tough and scrambles for their size as well as Ben Roethlisberger. Maybe Kaepernick.

Zero GMs draft, sign, or cut players without consulting the head coach.

so just to play this out the Jets fire Rex and hire an offensive saavy HC. Does that mean Idzik is gonna be signing Garrards for the defense? 

This magical head coach you all seem to want with expertise on both sides of the football doesn't exist. Every single head coach comes from either one side or the other. Its up to Idzik and the scouting dept to buy the groceries, especially for the HC's blind spot. Cause every HC has one.

other than the first round picks the Draft looks fairly crappy so far. Winters, Cambell and Oday don't help this team right now. Geno is not even close to being a starter. How is this better than Tanny?  

Brandon Moore started 7+ years in the same spot when you remove a guy like that and replace him with garbage there's gonna be a problem. Maybe Moore is done but Colon/Peterman were terrible signings. To say it's Tanny's fault that he signed David Garrard is complete bull. Idzik could have signed better players, these signings had nothing to do with Tanny. 

Wow.  Bit seriously?

You have always said it takes years to judge a draft. 

so just to play this out the Jets fire Rex and hire an offensive saavy HC. Does that mean Idzik is gonna be signing Garrards for the defense?

This magical head coach you all seem to want with expertise on both sides of the football doesn't exist. Every single head coach comes from either one side or the other. Its up to Idzik and the scouting dept to buy the groceries, especially for the HC's blind spot. Cause every HC has one.

First, I fundamentally reject from you the notion that this draft class is bad considering that you were the one human left on the planet preaching patience for DRob, Gholston, and Vlad long after each one proved that they were horrible, horrible football players. Second, you're going to use the Herm Argument with Rex--that there exists no other coach who can conceivably be better than the current coach, which logic dictates is false. Third, all coaches have one side of the ball that they focus on, but only one other coach in history disavowed the other side of the ball more than Rex does, and that was Rex's dad.

So Idzik in a year no one expect the Jets to compete for a playoff spot should bring in another crappy expensive QB to compete with Sanchez and Smith. If Hasselbeck came really cheap for 1 year, may be. But so what? either Smith is or is not an NFL QB. Hasselbeck is not much going to change that. There is so much wrong with this team no sensible person is going to change it in one season. Isizk's mad ate is long term, and if that is served by Ryan being this year's scapegoat, don't know anyone that will shed any tears for hum. He didn't care about the offense. Ryan could've after season 1 got a real backup or insisted on it, and he never has. Contrast that with the legion of draft picks and free agents used all over the defense. Tannenbaum let Ryan shape this roster. He made his own bed, if it;s a horror show RYan has nobody left to blame but himself. If our owner was a sensible man he'd be gone already. 

Idzik shouldn't need a new coach to get good offensive players. The GM job is a full time job and he should be doing it on his own. 

If it is one thing the Rex Ryan Era taught us about free agency(the players WILL LOVE to play for him, right, at big discounts!) it is that money is the single biggest variable in signing or not signing free agents. 

If it is one thing the Rex Ryan Era taught us about free agency(the players WILL LOVE to play for him, right, at big discounts!) it is that money is the single biggest variable in signing or not signing free agents. 

the rex ryan era taught us that ?  how much did the jets give o'donnell and jumbo ?

So Idzik in a year no one expect the Jets to compete for a playoff spot should bring in another crappy expensive QB to compete with Sanchez and Smith. If Hasselbeck came really cheap for 1 year, may be. But so what? either Smith is or is not an NFL QB. Hasselbeck is not much going to change that. There is so much wrong with this team no sensible person is going to change it in one season. Isizk's mad ate is long term, and if that is served by Ryan being this year's scapegoat, don't know anyone that will shed any tears for hum. He didn't care about the offense. Ryan could've after season 1 got a real backup or insisted on it, and he never has. Contrast that with the legion of draft picks and free agents used all over the defense. Tannenbaum let Ryan shape this roster. He made his own bed, if it;s a horror show RYan has nobody left to blame but himself. If our owner was a sensible man he'd be gone already. 

This. All of this.

The money thing is an issue, I understand. But Pittsburgh doesn't spend money, and still finds playmakers. And the Jets did have some money after Revis was gone. All offensive lineman late in the draft? All I'm saying is there are some valid points in this article. Idzik isn't anymore of a personel guy then Tannenbaum was and its showing so far, thats all I'm saying.

Pittsburgh has a QB.  We do not.  The difference is enormous.

Milliner, Richardson, and Brian Winters are all old-school players who live to play football and who each can be very good players at those positions. Geno Smith is a wild card, but if he develops, they might have their QB for a decade. I agree that I would have liked to see TEs and WRs brought in during the draft, but I think the fact that none were brought in points to the idea that Idzik views this as a two/three year fix. He could have run out and tried to find better options at those positions, but he wasn't going to burn a nickel in future money to eke out an extra win this year. All in all, I don't disagree with Mehta's premise--that Idzik f*cked Rex--I just disagree with Mehta's conclusion that f*cking Rex wasn't 1. Intentional and 2. The right move.

Yup.  There's no offensive weapon that was available to us who was a can't miss prospect.  Idzik has a plan, and that plan doesn't really involve the 2013-2014 season.  It may not work, but it's better than short-sighted spending in the hopes of winning without a QB.

Milliner should have gone top 5. He was good value. You could make the argument that he could have went with Austin - but Austin was already off the board. I still think that is the guy they wanted and he totally got Bradway'd in the draft, although he did still wind up with a good player. I can agree with the Geno thing. I wanted him to trade up for the guy and I do still think Geno will be a good QB in time. As laughable as it is, simply throwing a decent screen pass makes him better then Sanchez. Its just a matter of how quickly he can develop fully. Again though, you and I and a pro football weekly magazine could have made those three picks. Its the late round Antonio Brown that we needed. Or the late round RB. Atleast get ONE of these guys.

On the other hand, the Rams may very well have traded up for Roscoe Parrish.  Some times you have to fold.  A trade to 7 for Austin would probably prove to be a mistake.

On the other hand, the Rams may very well have traded up for Roscoe Parrish.  Some times you have to fold.  A trade to 7 for Austin would probably prove to be a mistake.

TY Hilton went in the 5th round. Austin goes 7th overall. I doubt the difference is that wide.

and also Kerley > Antonio Brown

So Idzik in a year no one expect the Jets to compete for a playoff spot should bring in another crappy expensive QB to compete with Sanchez and Smith.  

the key word here is expensive. it's been 6 months of idzik and he's already convinced the die hards that anything over vet min is expensive. 

Idzik is shopping like instead of 1 ralph lauren polo shirt wouldn't 4 izods from Marshalls be better? no it's not better to have quantity. Quality is the thing in this league that wins games and it always has been. 

the key word here is expensive. it's been 6 months of idzik and he's already convinced the die hards that anything over vet min is expensive. 

Idzik is shopping like instead of 1 ralph lauren polo shirt wouldn't 4 izods from Marshalls be better? no it's not better to have quantity. Quality is the thing in this league that wins games and it always has been. 

and you acquire quality via the draft

Why lose compensatory picks to bring in a better stop gap when eveyone but you and Rex knows this is a lost season?

Brady Quinn is Sanchez-level bad. Hasselback got $4 mil. Flynn got 2 years/$11.5 mil. Idzik wasn't going to throw more money at the position. It's just a bad, bad job by Manish here.

Exactly, how would Ryan Fitzpatrick, Matt Cassel, Tarvaris Jackson or Brady Quinn be any better for this team than Sanchez, regardless of the fact that it would be throwing more good money after bad with Sanchez's contract.

Mehta really is the suck.

Brady Quinn is Sanchez-level bad. Hasselback got $4 mil. Flynn got 2 years/$11.5 mil. Idzik wasn't going to throw more money at the position. It's just a bad, bad job by Manish here.

He brought in a QB who hadn't played in a few seasons due to injury.  He brought in RBs who are injury prone.  Regardless of money, the fact remains he signed a few guys who won't ever play or might not play.  That's a bad sign no matter how you slice it.    Lets hope Ivory becomes healthy and Goodson plays soon enough.  But you can't make excuses that there was no money and he brings in guys who aren't even playing.

And lets be honest, Garrard was the hope to be the starter.    The fact he picked a guy who couldn't even make it to training camp is a bad bad sign on his capabilities in signing cheap players who might actually make an impact.  Other Coaches & GMs find cheap players, late draft picks, and turn them into something.    If none of these guys play or make a legit impact, you have to start to wonder how they evaluate these players.  Especially when thats the only guys they really brought in.  Many of us thought the Garrard signing was a mistake.   It was based more on hope than fact.   And the fact is the guy 'retired' in May after they signed him in March.   There is something wrong with that picture where the guy you hope is the starter doesn't even make it into June.  

Still a month away from week 1.

Somehow Ivory = bust so far. Okay.

He's not a bust , but the guy has a history of injuries and a history of never playing at any level.  The fact he can't even play in the first preseason game and who knows when he'll play isn't a very good sign.   People act like the guy is Curtis Martin or LT just coming to take over the starting job.  People forget the guy has never been a starter and has barely played in college or the pros.  So just 'penciling' him in as the starter just because is stupid.   Lets see what he can really do as a starter.  But up till now,  he's been injured and can't even prove that he can be a starter.

He's not a bust , but the guy has a history of injuries and a history of never playing at any level.  The fact he can't even play in the first preseason game and who knows when he'll play isn't a very good sign.   People act like the guy is Curtis Martin or LT just coming to take over the starting job.  People forget the guy has never been a starter and has barely played in college or the pros.  So just 'penciling' him in as the starter just because is stupid.   Lets see what he can really do as a starter.  But up till now,  he's been injured and can't even prove that he can be a starter.

All I care about is if he's starting week 1.

He makes some great points. Idzik is getting an F so far for his pick ups. Pittsburgh and New England find weapons cheap, why can't Idzik?

He's not getting anything so far except an incomplete. For crying out loud, are you ten years old?  Have you never watched a full season of football before?  They've played exactly one meaningless preseason game.  You've been going on for days about how awful Idzik is.  What about Rex?  He is the one responsible for getting the team ready to play.  They didn't exactly look prepared did they, what with 11 penalties, numerous turnovers, no rushing attack, etc.  Why aren't you throwing some of that venom Rex's way?  He deserves it as much or more than Idzik.

The point is, it's waaaaaaaaaaaaaay to freaking early to say that anybody has failed anything.  Idzik missed on Garrard.  It happens.  If it turns out to be an isolated incident, or if he learns from it, it will only be a temporary bump in the road.  Now if the Jets finish 3-13 or something almost as bad and Colon, Peterman, Winslow, Barnes and 90% of his FA signing prove to be busts or useless for the team, then fine, we all can kill him for his horrible start, but until the year is over or until all those players are ruled out, then we don't know anything for certain yet.

Please step back off the ledge and take a qualude or something.  Camp cuts will be coming up in a couple of weeks, and Idzik could sign a TE, RB, and possibly an OG as well, or maybe a safety.  Things could look a lot better in the 2-3 weeks.  Chillax.

That's fair, but only because Tannenbaum had lost the benefit of the doubt and Idzik still has it. Idzik has shredded the roster and patched it up with stopgaps like Winslow, Braylon, and Willie Colon. Goodson and Ivory were brought in to be a part of a running back rotation and it's too early to kill Idzik on either yet; Goodson should be back after rehab and Ivory is dinged up. Garrard just pulled the string on this team by choosing not to play anymore. I don't know if it's fair to kill Idzik for that, either. Bottom line is that Idzik's philosophical approach was to let the ship sink this year, clear the decks, and start fresh next year with Geno, Milliner, Richardson, Winters, Wilkerson, Mangold, and Brick as his core. If Smith can develop, that's a nice group to start a rebuild around. Tannenbaum is the guy who would go trade for Flynn and Percy Harvin and pay Revis in an effort to make a six-win roster into an eight-win roster, even at the cost of burning the payroll through 2016.

100 percent T0m Shane. You could get on Idzik a bit for Garrard. I know I never liked the move, but little else was available. Quinn is Sanchez-bad and I like the long range approach. Rex and Tanny drank their own Kool-Aid and thought the team was a player or two away which clouded their long range thinking. Now Rex is pressed very tightly against the wall and I don't think he's back next year.

And yet, all you had to do was listen to me when you were up there.  But noooooo, you weren't willing to take one for the team with a little jail time for assault lol.

Archived