Practice Report: Sanchez On Fire

flgreen

Practice report: Sanchez on fire

August, 12, 2013

Aug 12

5:02

PM ET

By  Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

CORTLAND, N.Y. -- The Jets tweaked the quarterback rotation Monday, giving Mark Sanchez most of the reps with the first team. And he delivered one of his better practices.

Sanchez's numbers in team drills don't jump off the screen -- 2-for-3, including one touchdown pass -- but he was on fire in a 7-on-7 drill. He threw a pair of 50-yard TDs on back-to-back plays, hitting rookie Ryan Spadola (a stop-and-go on CB Antonio Cromartie) and Stephen Hill. Sanchez faked Cromartie with a hard pump fake. He completed five of seven in the period, including a terrific sideline pass to Kellen Winslow.

Sanchez's TD pass in team drills came on an over-the-middle pass to RB Bilal Powell, who broke tackles and took it to the house.

Rookie Geno Smith, still limping noticeably on his tender right ankle, also had a solid day. He was 6-for-7, with a TD pass and a sack in team drills. The TD came on a rollout, a nice strike to Konrad Reuland in the corner of the end zone.

It would've been a great day for Smith, but he tarnished it with a couple of hiccups. He was intercepted by CB Isaiah Trufant in a 7-on-7 drill and, in team drills, there was an aborted play because of a botched handoff with rookie Tommy Bohanon.

INJURY-FILLED PRACTICE: This was a tough one, although none of the injuries appear serious.

RB/KR Joe McKnight was carted to the locker room after crashing to the ground while chasing a deep pass. He got up slowly, perhaps feeling the effects of a recent head injury. He was given an oxygen mask and carter to the locker room.

CB Antonio Cromartie gave everyone a scare when he crumpled to the ground in pain late in practice. He tried to jam a receiver at the line and hurt his left elbow. He stayed in for the next couple of plays with a wrap on his elbow. Third-string QB Greg McElroy rolled an ankle while scrambling -- shades of Smith in Detroit -- but it turns out this was an old injury. He hurt the same ankle in the preseason opener.

ATTENDANCE REPORT: RB Chris Ivory (hamstring) finally made his debut, participating in team drills for the first time. In fact, he carried the ball on the first two plays of team drills. He looked fresh and fairly quick for a man his size. He hopes to play Saturday night against the Jaguars. ... WR Clyde Gates (head) didn't practice. He banged his head Sunday in a collision. ... FB Lex Hilliard (ribs) continued to practice in a red jersey. ... Rookie G Brian Winters (ankle) was carted off, but returned to finish practice. ... Winslow returned after a rest day.

GROUND AND POUND: There was a heavy emphasis on running the ball. Makes sense, considering the disparity in the run-pass ratio from the opener -- 16 runs, 42 passes. In fact, there was a 9-on-7 drill, which included live tackling. You saw a lot of Ivory, Powell and Chad Spann. With Ivory back in the fold, you can expect a commitment to the ground game against the Jaguars.

ODDS AND ENDS: Rookie WR Ryan Spadola got some work as a blocker on the kick0ff-return unit. This certainly will help his chances of making the team. ... Nice practice for Winslow, who got free for a couple of receptions. ... It was an up-and-down practice for QB Matt Simms, who got extra work because of McElroy's injury. Simms had an interception, but he also threw two long balls to Joseph Collins.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I heard Geno looked significantly better in team drills again which matter WAY more than a couple nice passes in 7 on 7. It is baffling to me that people want to grade Sanchez on PRACTICE and ignore 4 years of ineptitude and the fact that he was pretty lousy on Friday and threw ANOTHER Pick 6 to a lineman. The excuse train for Sanchez is unreal.

From what I heard Geno looked significantly better in team drills again which matter WAY more than a couple nice passes in 7 on 7. It is baffling to me that people want to grade Sanchez on PRACTICE and ignore 4 years of ineptitude and the fact that he was pretty lousy on Friday and threw ANOTHER Pick 6 to a lineman. The excuse train for Sanchez is unreal.

He has a good practice by all accounts, and you have "sources" who tell you that Geno looked significantly better. Really?  I can't believe the amount of hate that Sanchez gets on this board.  Excuses.  The guy is crucified for every mistake he makes.  I have no problem starting Geno in game 5 or later if he's the better QB but Sanchez actually outplayed Geno in the Lions game in spite of the interception.  I can't believe how people allow their hatred of Sanchez to cloud that .  Grow up. 

I've never hated a member of any of my sports teams worse than this guy. Maybe Bobby Bonilla, but I can't remember any others.

Who cares that you hate Sanchez for unknown reasons?  Take a look at yourself and figure out why you hate someone. 

I've never hated a member of any of my sports teams worse than this guy. Maybe Bobby Bonilla, but I can't remember any others.

Who cares that you hate Sanchez for unknown reasons?  Take a look at yourself and figure out why you hate someone. 

Seriously GL, take a look at yourself... Thanks jl12, I think we've all learned something.

He has a good practice by all accounts, and you have "sources" who tell you that Geno looked significantly better. Really?  I can't believe the amount of hate that Sanchez gets on this board.  Excuses.  The guy is crucified for every mistake he makes.  I have no problem starting Geno in game 5 or later if he's the better QB but Sanchez actually outplayed Geno in the Lions game in spite of the interception.  I can't believe how people allow their hatred of Sanchez to cloud that .  Grow up. 

There's not enough wood in all of east rutherford to crucify sanchez for every mistake he's made.

Unknown reasons? Although I don't like to speak for anyone else, I can give you 52 reasons in the last two seasons alone for my hatred towards him. He's single-handedly ruined one of the things I like most and does so with a complete easy-peasy, nonchalance that makes it impossible to like him. That and if we had any type of average QB play in '09 or '10, we'd have at least one superbowl, which could very well have been the only chance I'll get to see one.  Seems like solid grounds to loathe someone, considering I've hated friend's of my girlfriend for putting ketchup on a ribeye that I've grilled.

... like solid grounds to loathe someone, considering I've hated friend's of my girlfriend for putting ketchup on a ribeye that I've grilled.

You let people do that?

You're no man.

I'd have sent them to McDonald's. Or shot them. Or at a minimum, I would have grabbed the steak off their plate and thrown it on the floor for the dog.

Next time keep a can of spam in the house for these animals, and bbq that for them.

It's okay, my girlfriends sixteen year old daughter says the same kinds of things. I shall react like I do to her; ignore ignore ignore and try not to glance at her boobs.

When you say "girlfriend" it really means "boyfriend" and when you say "daughter" you really meant "son".

Pretty sure he meant he hated the fact Sanchez is the QB for the team he roots for.  Welcome to the board.  Looking forward to your contributions.

It's okay, my girlfriends sixteen year old daughter says the same kinds of things. I shall react like I do to her; ignore ignore ignore and try not to glance at her boobs.

When you say "girlfriend" it really means "boyfriend" and when you say "daughter" you really meant "son".

The kid must really be a porker then.

if Geno Smith had Mark Sanchez' day there would be a board-gasm.  

The sad truth is we know Sanchez will never be "on fire" in games.  Nearly every starting QB, and even some non-starters, over the last 4 years has had monster games.  Matt Flynn comes to mind.  So does Chad Henne. 

Yet Sanchez has never "exploded" in any game in 4 years.  So excuse us for not having a "board-gasm" over the fact that the worst 4-year starter in NFL history had a good day in f***ing 7 on 7's.

Archived