Ex-Jets: We Want Sanchez

flgreen

Ex-Jets: We want Sanchez

August, 20, 2013

Aug 20

9:08

PM ET

By  Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Mark Sanchez may not be the people's choice, but he's the choice of many former Jets.

SANCHEZ vs. SMITH: WHO'S WINNING?

Tuesday's advantage: Smith

Geno Smith's day: Completed 11 of 12 in team drills, including a long TD. Only hiccup was an INT in 7-on-7s.

Mark Sanchez's day: Went 4-for-7 with the backups, but overthrew a wide-open receiver for a would-be TD.

Quote: "He looked good. I still don't think his ankle is 100 percent, but he's certainly getting close to that." -- Rex Ryan on Smith

More than 20 ex-Jets, mostly from the 1960s, 70s and 80s, attended practice Tuesday as part of an alumni day. ESPNNewYork.com polled a dozen alums, posing the question: Who would you start on opening day, Sanchez or Geno Smith? The results:

Sanchez -- Nine votes

Smith -- Zero

Undecided -- Three

Here's a sampling of comments:

Bobby Jackson, CB, 1980s: "I'm not a big Mark Sanchez fan, but I'm a realist. He gives them the best chance."

John Schmitt, C, Super Bowl III team: "I'd say Mark. He knows what to expect. It's so hard for a kid to come out of college and grasp an NFL offense and grasp NFL defenses, as well. ... Geno needs a lot more time. That's my honest feeling."

Bruce Harper, KR, 1970s/80s: "From an outsider's view, I'd say Mark. He's the veteran and I don't think they've seen enough of Geno. ... Mark is the man until proven otherwise."

Joe Klecko, DT, 1970s/80s: "It's up in the air. If the kid shows something against the Giants, I think it throws a dilemma into Rex's kitchen. Sanchez has too much baggage. If Geno does well, it's a good dilemma."

Chad Cascadden, LB, 1990s: "Mark's ready, Geno's not ready yet. Mark's a four-year starter, he's seen it all. I don't think Geno has done enough to unseat that. I like how Mark responded two games ago after that early interception in Detroit. He bounced back quickly. You need that leadership."

Richard Caster, TE, 1970s: "Unless something goes crazy, I think you have to start with the established quarterback. Unless [smith] is super-duper, out of this world against the Giants, I'd go with the proven commodity."

Randy Beverly, DB, Super Bowl III team: "I'm still wide open. I want to see more."

Jeff Richardson, OL, Super Bowl III team: "I'd go with Sanchez. Right now, I haven't seen enough of Geno. I could switch. I'm not married to Sanchez by any means. He's given me some disappointing times."

Ted Banker, G, 1980s: "I haven't seen enough of Geno, so I'd go with Sanchez. He's still making mistakes, though. If you go by interceptions and the number of quarters he's played in the preseason, that projects to a lot of interceptions. But I think Rex [Ryan] will go with what he knows, which tells me he'll go with Sanchez."

Summary of the responses:

"Sanchez is f*cking awful, but I haven't seen Smith do anything yet to show he'd be any better in week 1. As soon as I see 10 passes from Smith and shows that he is even 1% less awful, my mind is then instantly changed."

Cimini using the word "want" in the title is straight up trolling.

I don't think there's anyone with any association with the team who doesn't want Sanchez replaced. The question is: is Geno ready to be that replacement? The answer generally comes back, not quite yet. These ex-Jets have a better perspective than most of us, and have seen him up close, and that's the answer they seem to be coming back with, too. And that's okay.

Smith will be starting at some point this season. It's okay if he's not starting opening day.

I don't think there's anyone with any association with the team who doesn't want Sanchez replaced. The question is: is Geno ready to be that replacement? The answer generally comes back, not quite yet. These ex-Jets have a better perspective than most of us, and have seen him up close, and that's the answer they seem to be coming back with, too. And that's okay.

Smith will be starting at some point this season. It's okay if he's not starting opening day.

BOOM exactly. Unless Sanchez morphs into Brady, his days here are numbered. This is a rebuilding year anyway. Let Smith get his feet under him. No pressure, no rush.

That's the way I  read the article and the overall situation as well.  As for the last sentence, I believe that since I find it hard to believe Sanchez will play well enough to deserve being the starter all season.  That and that at some point the Jets will have to play Smith in order to see what they got with their second round pick.  Because if they don't like what they got, they may well have to or want to go back in next year's draft and get a different Qb.

Summary of the responses:

"Sanchez is f*cking awful, but I haven't seen Smith do anything yet to show he'd be any better in week 1. As soon as I see 10 passes from Smith and shows that he is even 1% less awful, my mind is then instantly changed."

For the Jets to move forward John Idzik needs to know what he has in Smith....period. This is a rebuilding year - no one expects the Jets to win more than six games at BEST. Jets brass, coaches and fans know what Sanchez brings, and while at times it is 'passable' more times than not it isn't. I understand the former players picking the 'established' guy because they would want to win, but what they don't understand is that Sanchez will cost us as many games as he helps win.

For the Jets to move forward John Idzik needs to know what he has in Smith....period. This is a rebuilding year - no one expects the Jets to win more than six games at BEST. Jets brass, coaches and fans know what Sanchez brings, and while at times it is 'passable' more times than not it isn't. I understand the former players picking the 'established' guy because they would want to win, but what they don't understand is that Sanchez will cost us as many games as he helps win.

I think they understand that this is a rebuilding year.

From at least one of the comments (I'm not clicking backwards to re-read right this second) it's understood that game 1 may not be the best time to start Smith, even for Smith's sake not just for the team's 2013 win total. 

Also about half the people expect the Jets to win more than 6 games.  That's why the over/under on their win total is 6.5 this year.

The Snap: Training camp, Day 28

August, 21, 2013

Aug 21

6:00

AM ET

By  Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Training camp is drawing to a close. Wednesday is the last public practice, starting at 11:15 a.m, and the next-to-last camp practice.

Only three days away from facing the Giants at MetLife Stadium, the Jets probably will do some game-plan preparation on Wednesday. Teams usually don't do a lot during the preseason, but this is the third game -- the most important game. The starters will play about three quarters.

Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith are scheduled to meet the media Wednesday. Smith took the majority of the reps Monday and Tuesday, so it'll be interesting to see what happens. Injuries to watch are CB Dee Milliner (calf) and NT Kenrick Ellis (back), who has missed almost a week. WR Santonio Holmes (foot) could be getting close to being removed from the physically-unable-to-perform list.

ICYMI: On Tuesday, the Eagles named their starting quarterback -- Michael Vick. The Browns named their starting quarterback -- Brandon Weeden. The Jets? Silence. Rex Ryan said he's "not comfortable" making a decision, although we can tell you his plan is to start Smith against the Giants. ... More than 20 ex-Jets turned out on alumni day, and we polled a dozen to get their take on the Sanchez-Smith battle. The results may surprise you. ... The Jets are rebuilding on defense, sans Darrelle Revis, but that didn't stop Ryan from predicting a top-5 finish. What, are you surprised?

Richard Caster, TE, 1970s: "Unless something goes crazy, I think you have to start with the established quarterback. Unless [smith] is super-duper, out of this world against the Giants, I'd go with the proven commodity."

PROVEN COMMODITY?  Are you f*cking kidding me with this, Caster?

pfft. what do those guys know about football? 

The best argument some of them made was "Geno isn't ready".  Almost none of them were saying Sanchez brings ANYTHING to the table, which is true.  None of it was a negative argument against Geno.

a comment on a nother board:

"the best thing Geno Smith has going for him is that he's not Mark Sanchez" 

reply: "the worst thing Geno Smith has going for him is that he's Geno Smith" 

Oh shut the f*ck up already.  For a draft "expert" who's over-protected busts in the past you're sure quick to write off Geno.  Just shut the f*ck up already.

a comment on a nother board:

"the best thing Geno Smith has going for him is that he's not Mark Sanchez" 

reply: "the worst thing Geno Smith has going for him is that he's Geno Smith" 

This is my fear

Won't know probably until after next season

Archived