Rex contract extension: Thru 2018? Longer?

Jetsfan80

Look guys, its great that Idzik is trying to make everyone earn their jobs on the roster, and making Rex earn his extension.  It's a fresh breath of air into the organization.

That being said, now that its clear Rex is prepared to move on from Sanchez, our defense is still nasty and we'll be going into an offseason where we have $50 million in cap space and 100 draft picks, it's time to decide how long Rex's new contract should go till.  I say 2020.

seriously dude? I love Rex ok. I want him to play out his last two years in the contract. I love his energy and the way he is with players. but dude it's week 1 win by the skin of our teeth. If they dont get that penalty you are writing the thread about when should we fire Rex....

Your love for Rex is more disturbing and inexplicable than any skepticism Carl, Pac, et al. may have in re: Geno.

Inexplicable?  Top defense every year.  Mastermind of the 2010 Jets season, the greatest year I've had following the team since maybe 1998.  No longer fat but just as loveable.  

Inexplicable?  Top defense every year.  Mastermind of the 2010 Jets season, the greatest year I've had following the team since maybe 1998.  No longer fat but just as loveable.  

Being a great DC does not make him a Head Coach......he inherited some defenders he had nada to do with drafting and then used some high picks on his D in the ensuing drafts. He is bad in too many other HC areas to warrant an extension w/out great improvement.

Being a great DC does not make him a Head Coach......he inherited some defenders he had nada to do with drafting and then used some high picks on his D in the ensuing drafts. He is bad in too many other HC areas to warrant an extension w/out great improvement.

I saw substantial improvement today.  Mostly because we have a real QB now.

I saw substantial improvement today.  Mostly because we have a real QB now.

Not worth the debate as you know better than that. W/out the penalty he would have been asked why his coached teams always can't seem to call TO's w/out letting precious seconds tick off the clock. Of course he or his fanbase will say that is someone elses job.

I'd like nothing more than to see him improve enough to warrant an extension but he just does not have what it takes IMO.

Not worth the debate as you know better than that. W/out the penalty he would have been asked why his coached teams always can't seem to call TO's w/out letting precious seconds tick off the clock. Of course he or his fanbase will say that is someone elses job.

I'd like nothing more than to see him improve enough to warrant an extension but he just does not have what it takes IMO.

I like the part where we held a Tampa Bay offense with Vincent Jackson, Doug Martin, and a big $$$ offensive line to 17 pts.  That's the part I liked.

Look guys, its great that Idzik is trying to make everyone earn their jobs on the roster, and making Rex earn his extension.  It's a fresh breath of air into the organization.

That being said, now that its clear Rex is prepared to move on from Sanchez, our defense is still nasty and we'll be going into an offseason where we have $50 million in cap space and 100 draft picks, it's time to decide how long Rex's new contract should go till.  I say 2020.

I see no reason to not offer a lifetime deal to Rex now with right of first refusal on his children. Bold moves are needed when you are dealing with coaching royalty.

Na bro. That 15 yard penalty by David on Geno basically saved Rex Ryan today. He completely blew that game in the last 5 minutes. He's not a head coach, he's a defensive coordinator. If the Jets honestly, seriously want a Superbowl win (not just an appearance), they need to get an actual head coach. If we can keep Rex as a DC I'd love that. But Rex blew this game this afternoon no doubt about it. 

Geno and Folk bailed Rex out big time...... boneheaded use of Timeouts at the end of the game and not at the very least doubling up on a WR (VJ) who was burning you all game does not warrant a contract extention thru 2018. In both instances you could see Rex knew he goofed but hes been using timeouts badly since he got here. Stop kissing the guys ass and start evaluating him with some reason.

FWIW I was very impressed with Geno Smith he played fantastic for his first NFL game and used his head running the football rather than forcing it. I hope Sanchez never sees the field again in a Jets uniform

Geno and Folk bailed Rex out big time...... boneheaded use of Timeouts at the end of the game and not at the very least doubling up on a WR (VJ) who was burning you all game does not warrant a contract extention thru 2018. In both instances you could see Rex knew he goofed but hes been using timeouts badly since he got here. Stop kissing the guys ass and start evaluating him with some reason.

FWIW I was very impressed with Geno Smith he played fantastic for his first NFL game and used his head running the football rather than forcing it. I hope Sanchez never sees the field again in a Jets uniform

lol

what ? like 80 has not been kissing Rex's ass for 4 years now ? I know of course you will make every attempt to attribute that to me sticking up for Sanchez so have at it. 

Oh, of course he has, I'm not disputing that in the least, although a lot of posts are clearly made intentionally tongue in cheek.  Either way, I don't necessarily disagree with the comment, I just found it funny coming from you is all.  No reason to get into all of the details of it, we know our respective opinions well enough by now.

I'm on board for keeping him a few more years to see what happens. Changing coaches, gms and starting QBs all the time sucks. If geno can play alls they need is a few pieces and this team is playoff bound. Fix up the Oline, add another playmaker on offense to go along with Winslow and with that D we're golden for a while.

Archived