Rex Ryan Factor is Jets' Only Hope of Sacking The Pats

flgreen

I was hoping you would.His posts are tl;dnr for my peanut brain.

BTW I think the Jets can win in NE but it has nothing to do with "The Ryan Factor" the esteemed press now speaks of after one weird victory and everything to do with no Gronk, Welker, Hernandez, and a  soft "D".

Really?

$60M of our cap is tied up on Holmes, Harris, Sanchez, Pace, Revis, Pouha, Tebow, and Scott.  Add another $9M on Mangold who isn't exactly playing like the game's premiere center, even with Pouncey out for the year.

It's a ridiculous handicap that we have and we won't have it next season.  Yet the excuses and relative/temporary disadvantages only fly for the Patriots? Bull.

These "last drive" failures would be nothing of the sort if we had a better offense.  Tebow's drive against us would be meaningless if our offense scored some points for the Jets (and didn't score any for the Broncos).  Same with Pittsburgh.  17-0 sucks, but it's not impossible to overcome.  It also shouldn't have been if our offense didn't keep going 3 & out, even after the D caused turnovers. 

Ryan has to stop calling his all-out blitz when everyone knows it's coming, on what seems (to Ryan) to be a "final nail in the coffin" opportunity.  But beyond that, our D has been plenty good compared to most.  They will always look worse when they have to keep marching back onto the field, or when succeeding in a final stand really means they have to succeed in 2 or sometimes 3 final stands because our offense gives the ball right back again so fast.

He's probably out. What garbage WR will beat us this time?

What garbage WRs usually beat us?

(I'm assuming you mean garbage WRs indicate WRs who beat the Jets but who do nothing against other opponents).

Why not watch the game before getting all bitter? I'm thoroughly enjoying the season so far.  I'm expecting nothing, but not really finding fault with a team that has half it's salary cap tied up on just a couple of players (only one of which is full-time).  It's a season-long tryout for me. If they win along the way, it's that much more enjoyable. If they lose, we learn what areas need to be addressed when cap room and additional draft picks allow it.  Or are you one of the bunch that think we could replace 40 roster spots in 1 year, mostly on the cheap, and end up with studs all over the place?

Sit back and relax and enjoy the season, man.

Really?

$60M of our cap is tied up on Holmes, Harris, Sanchez, Pace, Revis, Pouha, Tebow, and Scott.  Add another $9M on Mangold who isn't exactly playing like the game's premiere center, even with Pouncey out for the year.

It's a ridiculous handicap that we have and we won't have it next season.  Yet the excuses and relative/temporary disadvantages only fly for the Patriots? Bull.

These "last drive" failures would be nothing of the sort if we had a better offense.  Tebow's drive against us would be meaningless if our offense scored some points for the Jets (and didn't score any for the Broncos).  Same with Pittsburgh.  17-0 sucks, but it's not impossible to overcome.  It also shouldn't have been if our offense didn't keep going 3 & out, even after the D caused turnovers. 

Ryan has to stop calling his all-out blitz when everyone knows it's coming, on what seems (to Ryan) to be a "final nail in the coffin" opportunity.  But beyond that, our D has been plenty good compared to most.  They will always look worse when they have to keep marching back onto the field, or when succeeding in a final stand really means they have to succeed in 2 or sometimes 3 final stands because our offense gives the ball right back again so fast.

I wont debate this with you.

You are way too good at sucking all the air out of the room. 

The results speak for them selves.

I do agree with your bolded caveats.

PS. There is no such thing as 2 or 3 final stands.

agree with most of those names but it should be noted that David Harris played like he was worth that money last week.  Both ILB were beasts against the Bucs.

I wont debate this with you.

You are way too good at sucking all the air out of the room. 

The results speak for them selves.

I do agree with your bolded caveats.

PS. There is no such thing as 2 or 3 final stands.

The 2nd-last one would be the last one if the offense didn't give the ball back so fast.  Also wouldn't matter in the first place if we put some points on the board.

When we start losing games 31-28 regularly, then complain about the D being the reason for our losses.  When we lose games and the defense gives up under 20 (sometimes under 10), I'm not that sympathetic to the complaints.

agree with most of those names but it should be noted that David Harris played like he was worth that money last week.  Both ILB were beasts against the Bucs.

I said $60M, not $6M.

And though he certainly played well, he most definitely did not play like a $13M linebacker. 

The Jets have a massive handicap and they were smart to not throw money at slightly more expensive band-aids prior to the draft when they didn't know what band-aids they'd need yet.  After the draft, most of those options were gone.  So be it. 

Draft to build your base with the best players you can get your hands on.  Fill the holes left with free agency.  To do the opposite leads to reaching in the draft and passing up on better (cheap) talent in the process.

The 2nd-last one would be the last one if the offense didn't give the ball back so fast.  Also wouldn't matter in the first place if we put some points on the board.

When we start losing games 31-28 regularly, then complain about the D being the reason for our losses.  When we lose games and the defense gives up under 20 (sometimes under 10), I'm not that sympathetic to the complaints.

I agree with this 100% and when we see people citing the Broncos and Steelers games as proof of this, it pretty much invalidates the entire argument as far as I'm concerned.  We're talking about one game where the defense gave up 10 points (and the offense handed the opposition 7), and another where the defense gave up 17 points (and, once again, the offense handed the opposition 7) and scored 2.  That's not even discussing the number of turnovers in both games of which the offense completely failed to take advantage.

Here's an idea, maybe an offense could actually use its quality defense's play throughout the game to actually build a lead.  Crazy I know, but it might just work.

Simply I'm open-minded about this game. But as the the thread title, it's been a hallmark of Wrecks that after a win  instead of concentrating on the task at hand he runs his mouth instead. We'll see Thursday.

If Wrecks wants to tout his defense and be indifferent to the offense, then he has to take the blame for the defense collapsing at the end.

Entirely plausible Morningwheg could put the Jets' offense in a position to score 2 or 3 TDs, if they don't waste downs running up the middle. It's equally plausible Brady finds (insert name of TE or WR you never heard of) in tjhe middle of the field all day for big gains. When any Wrecks' defense never stops a posssession-type reciever.

Simply I'm open-minded about this game. But as the the thread title, it's been a hallmark of Wrecks that after a win  instead of concentrating on the task at hand he runs his mouth instead. We'll see Thursday.

If Wrecks wants to tout his defense and be indifferent to the offense, then he has to take the blame for the defense collapsing at the end.

Entirely plausible Morningwheg could put the Jets' offense in a position to score 2 or 3 TDs, if they don't waste downs running up the middle. It's equally plausible Brady finds (insert name of TE or WR you never heard of) in tjhe middle of the field all day for big gains. When any Wrecks' defense never stops a posssession-type reciever.

My point is that I see more complaints about a Jets defense giving up 10-17 points than I see about teams whose defenses give up more (win or lose).  The two games referenced the most (Pittsburgh AFCCG and the Tebow game) Mark Sanchez spotted the opponent a touchdown, and our margin of loss was under 7 points.

We need to score more points (without giving them away to the other team, of course).  I don't think we have all the horses for that yet (and those that may or may not fit the bill, like Smith or Hill, are still works in progress to say the least).  

My point is that I see more complaints about a Jets defense giving up 10-17 points than I see about teams whose defenses give up more (win or lose).  The two games referenced the most (Pittsburgh AFCCG and the Tebow game) Mark Sanchez spotted the opponent a touchdown, and our margin of loss was under 7 points.

We need to score more points (without giving them away to the other team, of course).  I don't think we have all the horses for that yet (and those that may or may not fit the bill, like Smith or Hill, are still works in progress to say the least).  

When your Head coaches primary stated goal (he said this himself) was to be a top 10 defense, then that is the area that is going to get attacked the most.

When your Head coaches primary stated goal (he said this himself) was to be a top 10 defense, then that is the area that is going to get attacked the most.

Even top 10 defenses give up 20 points.  Our defense is getting crucified by some for giving up 17 on Sunday.  3 of that 17 was giftwrapped by field position after Geno's fumble, though one could certainly make the argument that they shouldn't have given up a TD there and instead only a FG, it's not like it was surrendered to some scrub.  See where he is by the end of the year.  This is one of the better backs in the game.  A generous person (which you're not, and that's fine) might absolve the defense for that entire TD.

At worst, they're responsible for 14 points.  That is better than the #1 defense lets up last year (Seattle, who gave up 16.3 ppg, including blanking the Sanchez-led offense getting averaged in there).  Last year's #1 offense also gave up 30 points in the playoffs as they lost 30-28 to Atlanta to end their season, giving up the winning FG with 13 seconds left, as well as 4 TDs in a loss to the Lions (including surrendering the winning TD with 20 seconds left). 

I think too many people believe that a top 10 defense (or top 5 or #1 or whatever) means you have to look like the 2000 Ravens or you're a fraud and suck.  Bringing up games where the defense holds the other team's offense to under 20 points is hypercritical to me.  Whether you want to call it great or elite or good or whatever.  It's good enough to win with even a so-so offense.

Even top 10 defenses give up 20 points.  Our defense is getting crucified by some for giving up 17 on Sunday.  3 of that 17 was giftwrapped by field position after Geno's fumble, though one could certainly make the argument that they shouldn't have given up a TD there and instead only a FG, it's not like it was surrendered to some scrub.  See where he is by the end of the year.  This is one of the better backs in the game.  A generous person (which you're not, and that's fine) might absolve the defense for that entire TD.

At worst, they're responsible for 14 points.  That is better than the #1 defense lets up last year (Seattle, who gave up 16.3 ppg, including blanking the Sanchez-led offense getting averaged in there).  Last year's #1 offense also gave up 30 points in the playoffs as they lost 30-28 to Atlanta to end their season, giving up the winning FG with 13 seconds left, as well as 4 TDs in a loss to the Lions (including surrendering the winning TD with 20 seconds left). 

I think too many people believe that a top 10 defense (or top 5 or #1 or whatever) means you have to look like the 2000 Ravens or you're a fraud and suck.  Bringing up games where the defense holds the other team's offense to under 20 points is hypercritical to me.  Whether you want to call it great or elite or good or whatever.  It's good enough to win with even a so-so offense.

I really don't see anyone crucifying the defense (and I haven't read every post.

I do see people upset that a Rex defense again allowed a 4th quarter lead get away. I don't care what you call an elite defense or not, but the regularity that Rex's defenses cough up 4th quarter leads looks less than top 10.

You want to discredit  the Seahawks at number 1 for playing a gutless Jet team last year. Did you check the gutless offensive teams that the Jets played down the stretch last year?

All that said, I think the Jets pursued better and tackled better (from my quick view on DVR last night) than any Rex team in the past 2 years. I think that also has to to with a bad Buc offense, but give credit where credit is due.

I really don't see anyone crucifying the defense (and I haven't read every post.

I do see people upset that a Rex defense again allowed a 4th quarter lead get away. I don't care what you call an elite defense or not, but the regularity that Rex's defenses cough up 4th quarter leads looks less than top 10.

You want to discredit  the Seahawks at number 1 for playing a gutless Jet team last year. Did you check the gutless offensive teams that the Jets played down the stretch last year?

All that said, I think the Jets pursued better and tackled better (from my quick view on DVR last night) than any Rex team in the past 2 years. I think that also has to to with a bad Buc offense, but give credit where credit is due.

The Jets weren't the #1 defense last year.  Seattle was.  

I don't think the Bucs offense is bad once the ball is out of Freeman's hands.  If he hits a receiver, those receivers are good.  Martin is also a top back now.  

Will the good D continue? I have no idea.  Just saying that the only teams that never lose the game on the final possession are teams whose offense puts them into enough of a lead that one more FG doesn't end the game badly for the Jets.  And that I'd be more critical of the team if we were losing because of the defense.  In reality we're losing because the defense isn't an unstoppable force. 

The other reality is Landry was in a position to make a play on VJ and whiffed.  I'd prefer if we didn't blitz (duh, in hindsight) when it's such an obvious blitz opportunity since lots of teams seem to see it coming and have counter-attacks practiced and ready to go.  We were getting pressure without sending an extra man or two.  More success at doing that than in stopping their two WRs from getting yardage, anyway.

OK, currently, after only one game, the Jets rank 4th in total defense, 10th against the pass, 8th against the rush and 7th in scoring. Looks like Rex is right on track. WTF are you complaining about?

Friday morning is going to be brutal for you.

Not really.  If we lose we were expected to lose.  I think if our Front 7 can get after Brady we have a shot.  The recipe for success against Brady has always been to put him on the ground.  We have the ability to do that.

Why should it be?  The Jets will still be 1-1 with a  rookie QB.  Fact is if Smith develops quickly into an NFL QB, Jets will be in the hunt. If not it will be a bad season.  Period

Bingo.

16 teams in the NFL are 1-0 and we're one of them.  No reason to think we're not a contender until proven otherwise.  Win Thursday night, somehow, and we're very much in the hunt. 

Find a QB and overnight you go from a rebuilding team to a playoff contender.  The NFL is crazy like that. 

Seattle went from a joke that every team that faced them in 2012 prematurely chalked up as a "W" on their schedule, to someone that everyone worries about now. Seattle isn't a talented laden beast. I don't see why we aren't capable of being an even more daunting task for the opposition. 

Archived