Why won't JAX sign Tebow?

LionelRichie

This honestly makes no sense to me.    I get that Tebow isn't the long term answer but seriously, they are scoring 9 pts / game and are not competitive in any facet of the game. 

It seems like the GM / HC / OC are too proud to let Tebow takeover.    While Tebow may not be the long term answer neither are Gabbert or Henne.   

At 9 pts/game he certainly can't do any worse, he would instantly fill the stadium, and there's just something about the kid that makes the entire team play better.    

he actually could make it worse.  media circus, plus no skills = worse

#1 - I don't think you are giving credence to just how bad JAX has been this season.    9 pts / game.    20 point underdogs and still don't even cover.  

#2 - Brent Musberger just asked the same question during the Ohio State game.   Literally 5 minutes after I made this post. 

#1 - I don't think you are giving credence to just how bad JAX has been this season. 9 pts / game. 20 point underdogs and still don't even cover.

#2 - Brent Musberger just asked the same question during the Ohio State game. Literally 5 minutes after I made this post.

1. How is Tebow going to help them score points?

2. Brent Musberger is a star****ing pervert with a room-temp IQ.

This honestly makes no sense to me.    I get that Tebow isn't the long term answer but seriously, they are scoring 9 pts / game and are not competitive in any facet of the game. 

It seems like the GM / HC / OC are too proud to let Tebow takeover.    While Tebow may not be the long term answer neither are Gabbert or Henne.   

At 9 pts/game he certainly can't do any worse, he would instantly fill the stadium, and there's just something about the kid that makes the entire team play better.    

Such a terrible argument. Add tebow because Gabbert and Henne arent the answer? Making one mistake is bad enough that you want them to make another one, one that would not only make your team a joke, but probably worse, at least Gabbert and Henne have some type of chemistry with their receivers. 

At BEST, Tebow wins a a game or two more games than Gabbert or Henne would, what has that gotten you? A worse draft pick possibly AND controversy. Jax is going to draft a QB in the first round next year, there is NO question about it. Why create more problems for your organization? And if you say for the fans well...you are just naive.

There is one thing fans care about...thats having a team they can be proud of. Thats why half this forum has been in better spirits lately, cuz for one we won a couple games, and also we have a defense we can brag about that makes us proud.  I know Jacksonville made a petition for Tebow but lets be honest....do you think those are REAL fans? Sounds more like a bunch of Florida Gator alumni. 

I think people are either haters of the guy or are just clueless. He is a terrible NFL QB,  but the guy knows how to win.  People love to give him no credit at all, but last time I checked,  Brady Quinn has done what in the NFL?  Couldn't even beat him out.   Kyle Orton did what?   Jacksonville is a team who have no fans.   The 20 people showing up wasn't that big of a testament against Tebow, more like, that's about how many people actually care about that franchise at this point.   They struggled with fans when they were sort of winning, now they are just a team nobody cares about.       

And who is to say any of next years QBs wind up anything special.  Teddy Ballgame looks great, but the truth is, he plays in a conference where most of the other teams players aren't very good.  So it's not like he's putting up these numbers in the SEC or anything.   And last time I checked, Tebow put up big numbers in college to, won a championship, etc but people just forget that fact.

Hey, who cares, it's Jacksonville.  But if they go 1-15 and suck and draft Teddy Ballgame, it doesn't suddenly bring people to games or make them a winner.   

I think people are either haters of the guy or are just clueless. He is a terrible NFL QB,  but the guy knows how to win.  People love to give him no credit at all, but last time I checked,  Brady Quinn has done what in the NFL?  Couldn't even beat him out.   Kyle Orton did what?   Jacksonville is a team who have no fans.   The 20 people showing up wasn't that big of a testament against Tebow, more like, that's about how many people actually care about that franchise at this point.   They struggled with fans when they were sort of winning, now they are just a team nobody cares about.       

And who is to say any of next years QBs wind up anything special.  Teddy Ballgame looks great, but the truth is, he plays in a conference where most of the other teams players aren't very good.  So it's not like he's putting up these numbers in the SEC or anything.   And last time I checked, Tebow put up big numbers in college to, won a championship, etc but people just forget that fact.

Hey, who cares, it's Jacksonville.  But if they go 1-15 and suck and draft Teddy Ballgame, it doesn't suddenly bring people to games or make them a winner.   

So he sucks, but they should totally go out and get him?  He's awful and lucked into a denver defense that miraculously did a 180 once he took over for kyle orton; they started to let up about 10 less points per game. He's the only QB who seemingly had worse numbers than sanchez.  Just because someone realizes how bad he is, doesn't make them a hater, it makes them a realist. You don't bring in people who are bad at what they do.

The problem of playing Tebow is that the their new GM Caldwell, the same one who elected to go to that dump instead of coming in here stated at his first press conference that under any circumstance he will never bring Tebow to the Jags.  The owner who is a big Tebow fan, must be kicking his nuts right now cause their marketing campaign to bring people to their Stadium consists of offering fans two free beer.  Tebow would have filled that stadium every single game by himself.

The problem of playing Tebow is that the their new GM Caldwell, the same one who elected to go to that dump instead of coming in here stated at his first press conference that under any circumstance he will never bring Tebow to the Jags.  The owner who is a big Tebow fan, must be kicking his nuts right now cause their marketing campaign to bring people to their Stadium consists of offering fans two free beer.  Tebow would have filled that stadium every single game by himself.

Agreed, he would have helped their ticket sales if nothing else.

Maybe they offered it ti him and he said, "Jacksonville seriously?"

He's suddenly going to make their defense good?  Because part of the reason they won games with him at Denver is because their defense kept it close enough for him to pull out the games.  Jacksonville's defense SUCKS.  Adding him isn't going to suddenly make them score 30 points a game.

So he sucks, but they should totally go out and get him?  He's awful and lucked into a denver defense that miraculously did a 180 once he took over for kyle orton; they started to let up about 10 less points per game. He's the only QB who seemingly had worse numbers than sanchez.  Just because someone realizes how bad he is, doesn't make them a hater, it makes them a realist. You don't bring in people who are bad at what they do.

They went out and signed Chad Henne.    What has Chad Henne done in his illustrious NFL career to garner "untouchable" status?   

The only reason I can see that they won't sign him is stubborn pride.   It's like they'd rather go 0-16 than admit that maybe Tebow is better than what they have.  

Every NFL team that doesn't have a pure pocket passer is going to some variation of the read-option which is pretty close to the offense Tebow ran at Florida.    It really is a travesty that nobody will give the kid a chance, especially the Jaguars.   All has ever done is win.  

They went out and signed Chad Henne.    What has Chad Henne done in his illustrious NFL career to garner "untouchable" status?   

The only reason I can see that they won't sign him is stubborn pride.   It's like they'd rather go 0-16 than admit that maybe Tebow is better than what they have.  

Every NFL team that doesn't have a pure pocket passer is going to some variation of the read-option which is pretty close to the offense Tebow ran at Florida.    It really is a travesty that nobody will give the kid a chance, especially the Jaguars.   All has ever done is win.  

Chad Henne is a more serviceable QB than Tebow.  This notion that all he does is win is a bit overblown, he's 8-6 in the regular season and 1-1 in the playoffs; he's turned the ball over at an alarming rate and has a completion percentage below 50%.  We're talking about a guy who's statistically worse than Sanchez in pretty much every category and that includes win loss record.  His teams are 9-7 despite his atrocious play, mainly because of the turnaround that defense had. Obviously you're not alone inthis opinion, but there's nothing that will convince me this kid could be anything but a 3rd string QB at best.

Denver gave him a chance.  And with a HofF QB running the show, elected to go in another direction.

The Jets gave him a chance.  And with the Sanchise benched went with McElroy.

While he was never going to start or even be 2nd on the depth chart in New England, he completed under 40% of his passes playing largely against 3rd or 4th string players.  In other words, he was subpar playing against players, like him, who are no longer in the league.

Denver gave him a chance.  And with a HofF QB running the show, elected to go in another direction.

The Jets gave him a chance.  And with the Sanchise benched went with McElroy.

While he was never going to start or even be 2nd on the depth chart in New England, he completed under 40% of his passes playing largely against 3rd or 4th string players.  In other words, he was subpar playing against players, like him, who are no longer in the league.

My point is not that Tebow will be a great NFL QB.   My point is that JAX has one of the all-time worst offenses through 4 games, their stadium is empty, and they can't sell jerseys.    This is the perfect chance for them to sign Tebow.   At a minumum they will fill the stadium and be #1 in jersey sales.  

3 points vs. Ind today is pathetic.   They are now averaging 7.5 pts / game.    In 4 games they have totaled less than Denver averages in 1 game.  

This is the perfect chance for them to sign Tebow.   At a minumum they will fill the stadium and be #1 in jersey sales.  

And then what? They wait for Tebow to be good?

Tebow's huge following is also his greatest detriment. No franchise wants to deal with that, and it's magnified by 100 in Jacksonville. Whatever short term gain they may enjoy, they do not want to deal with the fallout of replacing Tebow. Which isn't a possibility, but an inevitability.

If you're a Tebow fan, the better question for you is: Why doesn't Tebow sign with CFL?

And then what? They wait for Tebow to be good?

Tebow's huge following is also his greatest detriment. No franchise wants to deal with that, and it's magnified by 100 in Jacksonville. Whatever short term gain they may enjoy, they do not want to deal with the fallout of replacing Tebow. Which isn't a possibility, but an inevitability.

If you're a Tebow fan, the better question for you is: Why doesn't Tebow sign with CFL?

so what exactly is your point slats?    It seems like you are saying that it's better to lose 37-3 than to give Tebow a chance to be competitive.  

so what exactly is your point slats?    It seems like you are saying that it's better to lose 37-3 than to give Tebow a chance to be competitive.  

What makes you think Tebow would be competitive?

His sub .500 completion percentage?

His complete lack of field awareness?

His 1-4 record in his last five NFL starts?

What?

First, I don't think Tebow gives them that chance.

Second, I think unleashing the Church of Tebow in Jacksonville creates many more problems than it solves. He may be a temporary solution, but eventually he'll be an even larger problem.

First, I don't think Tebow gives them that chance.

Second, I think unleashing the Church of Tebow in Jacksonville creates many more problems than it solves. He may be a temporary solution, but eventually he'll be an even larger problem.

it's funny, that reminds me a lot of my wife.   dealing with problems that don't yet exist.  

nothing could possibly be worse for JAX than what they have now.   Tebow is obviously not the long term answer but neither is Henne nor Gabbert.    At this point in their miserable season they may as well give Tebow a chance, he realistically would have a tough time doing worse than they already are.    He would also fill the stadium.   That is my only point.   

it's funny, that reminds me a lot of my wife.   dealing with problems that don't yet exist.  

nothing could possibly be worse for JAX than what they have now.   Tebow is obviously not the long term answer but neither is Henne nor Gabbert.    At this point in their miserable season they may as well give Tebow a chance, he realistically would have a tough time doing worse than they already are.    He would also fill the stadium.   That is my only point.

Your opinion aside, the Jaguars -rightly, in my opinion- think signing Tebow would be worse.

Archived