Sanchez to have shoulder surgery, season done.

Matt39

Sanchez decides to have season-ending surgery

Posted by Darin Gantt on September 30, 2013, 2:28 PM EDT

SanchezGetty Images

After a game in which rookie quarterback Geno Smith tried to create his own take on the butt fumble, the originator has apparently decided he won’t be suiting up for the Jets again this season.

According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, former Jets starter Mark Sanchez has decided to have shoulder surgery after attempting rehab, a decision which will require a 4- to 6-month rehab.

The Jets gave Sanchez a chance to come back by putting him on injured reserve-designated for return, but by having surgery, that won’t be happening.

But with the team staking itself to Smith, it’s hard to not read Sanchez’s action as a swipe at the team, especially since they’re on the hook for his $8 million salary this year, and were widely expected to move on without him next year.

Sanchez decides to have season-ending surgery

Posted by Darin Gantt on September 30, 2013, 2:28 PM EDT

SanchezGetty Images

After a game in which rookie quarterback Geno Smith tried to create his own take on the butt fumble, the originator has apparently decided he won’t be suiting up for the Jets again this season.

According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, former Jets starter Mark Sanchez has decided to have shoulder surgery after attempting rehab, a decision which will require a 4- to 6-month rehab.

The Jets gave Sanchez a chance to come back by putting him on injured reserve-designated for return, but by having surgery, that won’t be happening.

But with the team staking itself to Smith, it’s hard to not read Sanchez’s action as a swipe at the team, especially since they’re on the hook for his $8 million salary this year, and were widely expected to move on without him next year.

How is this decision a 'swipe' at the Jets? 

Fear not JiF.  Jets are going to draft Stephen Morris in the second round next year and do the whole thing again

Haha.  Unless Geno makes some incredible strides taking care of the Football before the end of the year, they probably are taking a QB in the first 2 rounds.

Morris would make me puke. 

Thats what they said when Pennington went to Miami.

and it worked out great. Pennington ride the wildcat a d the easiest schedule in football only to be humiliated in the playoffs like the little bit h he was. that game btw, served as Rex job interview which lead directrly to back to back Afc championship games while Pennington folded and Miami picked top 10 2 years running

That's too bad. I would have liked to see him under a decent OC.

It's geno's show now, for better or much, much worse.

I'm sorry, but I don't think "much, much worse" is in any way actually possible.  If anything it would be "for better or equally as bad".  Hell, the fact that Geno is only the second-most turnover prone player in the NFL this year still manages to keep him one step ahead of our good buddy Mark.

Of course, none of this is meant to dispute that these realities are all still very, very depressing themselves.

I'm sorry, but I don't think "much, much worse" is in any way actually possible.  If anything it would be "for better or equally as bad".  Hell, the fact that Geno is only the second-most turnover prone player in the NFL this year still manages to keep him one step ahead of our good buddy Mark.

Of course, none of this is meant to dispute that these realities are all still very, very depressing themselves.

Actually it could have been much, much worst yesterday.

There was the non-safety call of course.   Kerley broke up a pick 6 at the goal line that almost got him killed, and on the same series I think, Smith hit a LB'er in the back at about the 10.   

That could have been worst I think.  The only reason that Smith is second is because Eli won't be one upped by a Jet.

I thought they were tie?

Thats what they said when Pennington went to Miami.

So the concern is that Sanchez will go on to have a mediocre season for another team that will see two division rivals suffer injuries to their starting QBs, allowing him to ride the back of a gimmick offense that is designed around his total incompetence as a QB before being utterly embarrassed in the playoffs, and then be out of football not long after that?

I suppose it's possible.

Actually it could have been much, much worst yesterday.

There was the non-safety call of course.   Kerley broke up a pick 6 at the goal line that almost got him killed, and on the same series I think, Smith hit a LB'er in the back at about the 10.   

That could have been worst I think.  The only reason that Smith is second is because Eli won't be one upped by a Jet.

I thought they were tie?

Maybe they are tied now, but I thought I saw something after the game that said Eli was still just ahead of him.  Could very well be mistaken about that.

Just to clarify, I didn't mean that it couldn't have been worse than it was yesterday.  Rather that, in relation to Mark Sanchez, it would be impossible to evaluate anyone as "much, much worse" of a QB.  In order for such a category to even exist, it would require Sanchez to actually have some sort of redeeming quality as a QB, which there is no evidence to suggest he currently does.

Boom. Now just cut him and get it over with it so it can be officially official. 

Can't cut him until he can pass a physical or when his contract runs out. But I would say this was Sanchez giving the one finger salute to Jet management and saying, "Hope it works out with Geno, ha, ha."

Archived