LOL ESPN (Cimini) Grades our draft

Gastineau Lives

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/22725/report-card-jets-score-high-and-average

Jets' Draft Report Card
April, 27, 2013
Apr 27
5:00
PM ET
By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama
Round 1, ninth pick
grade_bplus.jpg

Analysis: Say hello to Darrelle Revis Lite. Milliner, the first cornerback picked, was widely regarded as the best at his position. The value was too good for the Jets to pass. Yes, they would've preferred a pass rusher, but Dion Jordan and Barkevious Mingo already were gone. So was super-smurf receiver Tavon Austin. Milliner made sense at that spot. Let's face it, Kyle Wilson is best suited to nickel coverage, so they needed an every-down corner to start opposite Antonio Cromartie. Some scouts say Milliner never will be an elite corner because he lacks playmaking skills. But you know what? Even the great Revis isn't an interception machine. Milliner was the right call for a defense that relies heavily on man-to-man coverage by its corners.

Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri
Round 1, 13th pick
grade_c.jpg

Analysis: Another defensive linemen? This makes three straight first-round picks on the line. It might make Rex Ryan happy, but they needed to spread the wealth. They passed on a talented tight end (Tyler Eifert) and a big-play receiver (Cordarrelle Patterson), players that could've helped Mark Sanchez get his career back on track. Richardson has talent, no doubt, but where does he line up? He was a 4-3 tackle in college, a one-gap penetrator, and now he'll be asked to be a two-gap lineman. Ryan acknowledged the Jets will play more 4-3 fronts, but with all their pressing needs (how 'bout a safety?), another defensive lineman became a luxury.

Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia
Round 2, 8th pick (No. 39 overall)
grade_cplus.jpg

Analysis: The Jets couldn't resist, could they? They didn't have enough conviction to take Smith with one of their two first-round picks. In that sense, they received good value in the second round, but the decision comes with risk. Essentially, they drafted Mark Sanchez's successor. If he's not the real deal, it'll probably set back the franchise at least a couple of years. If their scouting reports are correct, maybe they have the next Russell Wilson or Colin Kaepernick. Smith has a lot to prove. He has the physical tools to be a winning quarterback, but there are holes in his games -- shaky pocket presence, reading defenses, handling adversity. You get the picture.

Brian Winters, G, Kent State
Round 3, 10th pick (No. 72 overall)
grade_b.jpg

Analysis: Winters went off the board where most expected, so the Jets received solid value. He's a tough hombre, and smart, too -- and new GM John Idzik wants to add those type of players to his roster. Here's the concern: He's projected as a guard and he's never played the position before. He played left and right tackle in college, but many believe he's best suited to the inside because he lacks elite athleticism. The versatility is attractive, though. He's a keeper.

Oday Aboushi, OL, Virginia
Round 5, 8th pick (No. 141 overall)
grade_b.jpg

Analysis: Solid value here, but you have to wonder how he gets on the field. Aboushi, who played left tackle at Virginia, could be moved to right tackle, behind incumbent Austin Howard. Aboushi could be insurance because Howard is playing on a one-year contract. If Howard sticks around for the long term, what happens to Aboushi? At the very least, he'll be a backup swing tackle, providing depth. He's a chip off the old Brick, meaning D'Brickashaw Ferguson, another Virginia alum.Aboushi was a three-year starter, a team captain and an accomplished scholar off the field.

William Campbell, OL, Michigan
Round 6, 10th pick (No. 178 overall)
grade_c.jpg

Analysis: Campbell played defensive tackle for the majority of his career at Michigan, but will play guard for the Jets. He dabbled at guard in 2010, but this still qualifies as a projection. One of the Michigan coaches told Jeff Bauer, the Jets' director of college scouting, that Campbell might make a good guard on the next level. Bauer filed that away and, during the pre-draft process, the Jets worked him out as a guard. You have to figure it'll take at least a year before he learns the position, so 2013 could amount to a red-shirt year for Campbell.

Tommy Bohanon, FB, Wake Forest
Round 7, 9th pick (No. 215 overall)
grade_bminus.jpg

Analysis: As senior, Bohanon played some H-Back, displaying pass-catching skills. That appealed to the Jets, who could use the versatility on offense. Obviously, Bohanon will have to carve a niche on special teams. He has a good chance to make the team. If you can say that about a seventh rounder, how can you quibble?

I think he nailed it actually.  Sheldon was a luxury pick.  He turned out to be a very good one.  Props to Idzik on the entire draft.  Starters: Milliner, Richardson, Geno, Winters, bohannon.  plus two projects.  Best draft we've had in a long, long time.

Milliner is a starter? I thought he has played in 2 games this year?

This article reeks of the sarcasm that all the sh*tty journalists who chose that angle, were writing at the time.

I am glad the OP brought this article back to life. In hindsight, I think we had a tremendous draft. Also, Cimini is a major a$$hole. Not Manish, but not much better sometimes.

Grading a defensive ROY candidate a C is going to sting.

At the time  how many of us were giving  Richardson an A+ which is the level he is playing at.  At the time I was like Huh? when they took Richardson.  That and Aboushi are the only ones he really faned on.  Aboushi is a 5th and who cares.

At the time  how many of us were giving  Richardson an A+ which is the level he is playing at.  At the time I was like Huh? when they took Richardson.  That and Aboushi are the only ones he really faned on.  Aboushi is a 5th and who cares.

I wasn't giving an A+. I heard a lot of positive reports, but I honestly wasn't aware enough to say one way or the other. This article just shows what happens when "journalists" who make a living slinging mud and writing opinion pieces for a living, have to actually understand the subject matter on which they are reporting.

Milliner is a starter? I thought he has played in 2 games this year?

This article reeks of the sarcasm that all the sh*tty journalists who chose that angle, were writing at the time.

I am glad the OP brought this article back to life. In hindsight, I think we had a tremendous draft. Also, Cimini is a major a$$hole. Not Manish, but not much better sometimes.

Milliner has started. If he isn't injured he's starting right now.

As for the Richardson pick, he gave the pick a "C", not the player, stating the jets offense needed more weapons and the pick would have been better spent on a WR or TE. as much as I love Richardson, we have Harrison, Coples, Ellis, and Wilkerson on the d line, perhaps the pick could have been spent more wisely. BTW I can't stand Cimini either, so it makes me want to puke defending his opinion.

Milliner has started. If he isn't injured he's starting right now.

As for the Richardson pick, he gave the pick a "C", not the player, stating the jets offense needed more weapons and the pick would have been better spent on a WR or TE. as much as I love Richardson, we have Harrison, Coples, Ellis, and Wilkerson on the d line, perhaps the pick could have been spent more wisely. BTW I can't stand Cimini either, so it makes me want to puke defending his opinion.

While I do understand that, you cannot give a grade without knowing the skill of the player. If the strategy in the draft was to go BPA, then going off of need is not apples to apples. That's especially why I think the understones of this article were negative bias.

This is good entertainment but the whole idea of grading a draft after it happens is a silly concept to begin with.  First off, who would trust a sportswriter's opinion over that of an NFL scout?  Second, NFL scouts are wrong a lot of the time too.

I'm sure sportswriters take what they read scouts are saying and use that as the basis for their grades.  One example I remember is that LB out of Ohio State we drafted who hunted wild boar.  I remember reading a knock on him about "stiff hips".  A couple of years after that draft when that player got cut, there was a Q&A w/ a sportswriter (I forget which) about the Jets.  Someone asked why that player got cut.  The sportswriter's response mentioned "stiff hips".  That was a give-away to me that these sportswriters are just regurgitating stuff they hear.  By the way, saying Sheldon Richardson is a luxury was a foolish thing too because how could Cimini have any idea how Rex/Idzik was conceiving their defense for this year. 

The funny thing is if we the fans gave this draft a grade right now, I bet that grade would change in another year or two.  But I'll admit to being a total hypocrite about this stuff.  I enjoy reading the post-draft grades and all that stuff too.

as much as I love Richardson, we have Harrison, Coples, Ellis, and Wilkerson on the d line, perhaps the pick could have been spent more wisely.

Wise way to spend a pick is to take the best player available. How can you criticize the Richardson pick especially after seeing what he's done? Was there a WR or TE that would have upgraded this Jets roster as much as the Rich pick? Tyler Eifert? Not yet at least. Tavon was gone and was a hype so far. Jets went BPA with their first 3 picks and that's why we are in a spot to content for a playoff spot

Wise way to spend a pick is to take the best player available. How can you criticize the Richardson pick especially after seeing what he's done? Was there a WR or TE that would have upgraded this Jets roster as much as the Rich pick? Tyler Eifert? Not yet at least. Tavon was gone and was a hype so far. Jets went BPA with their first 3 picks and that's why we are in a spot to content for a playoff spot

Our dline is a strength even without Richardson. Our offense has not a single playmaker. When you have Coples and Wilkerson and Ellis and Harrison, and you've spent high draft picks on the dline three years in a row, and you just went defense with the Milliner pick, taking Richardson was probably not the best move to improve the team as a whole. Eifert does more for your offense than Sheldon does for your D at this point. Because the offense is simply barren talent wise. And that was ciminis argument. So the pick got a C, not the player.

Our dline is a strength even without Richardson. Our offense has not a single playmaker. When you have Coples and Wilkerson and Ellis and Harrison, and you've spent high draft picks on the dline three years in a row, and you just went defense with the Milliner pick, taking Richardson was probably not the best move to improve the team as a whole. Eifert does more for your offense than Sheldon does for your D at this point. Because the offense is simply barren talent wise. And that was ciminis argument. So the pick got a C, not the player.

If Cimini had a crystal ball and saw the player, I doubt his grade on the pick would have been the same.

When u draft for need, you can very easily miss out on all-pro level players. That's why you NEVER draft for need. BPA gets the most value in the long run. Since this was supposed to be a throwaway year, there was no reason not to go BPA. That's Jets waited all the way till 2nd round to draft Geno and even then they didn't trade up.

"Cordarelle Patterson would have helped get Mrak Sanchez's career back on track?" Sorry, but Jerry Rice or Art Monk in their primes wouldn't have helped Sanchez get his career back on track. Also, a great defense starts with a great line, not a great secondary. I don't know of any SB winnin teams that had crappy d-lines but a great secondary. I've always seen it the other way around.

When u draft for need, you can very easily miss out on all-pro level players. That's why you NEVER draft for need. BPA gets the most value in the long run. Since this was supposed to be a throwaway year, there was no reason not to go BPA. That's Jets waited all the way till 2nd round to draft Geno and even then they didn't trade up.

NEVER is a strong word.  BPA is the best route in general.  But if you have pieces in place with a bunch of first rounders at a given position, and have nothing but late rounders, UDFAs and castoffs in another, you try to improve the team.  Which is why there is so much speculation from draft analysts  in March and April.  We started this year with no solid RB, no #1 WR, no #1 TE, no true incumbent QB and an offensive line patched together with duct tape and bailing wire.  Then spent our two #1 draft picks on defense where we had two first rounders and a third rounder plus depth on Dline, three first rounders at CB plus depth, a first round LB, a third Rd linebacker and needs at OLB and S.  Drafted another corner and another DT.  Sheldon's a real nice player.  But I didn't love the pick at the time, either.  And so I can't kill Cimini for his grade.  His sh*t-stirring and snide final comments, his SOJ attitude and smarmy remarks...yeh, for that I can get on board with flicking boogers at the dude.

The Giants won 2 superbowls by (amongst other things) drafting more DL than seemed necessary.

Drafting for need is never a good idea. Jets drafted a potential all pro at a premium position by taking Richardson over Eifert, and you want your GM to do that every time. This offseason was year one of a two year tear down/rebuild. That pick was 100% the right one at the time, and would be the right one next year, too.

He's got a lot of money to play with in free agency next year, a couple extra picks, and a strong group of receivers coming out. Offense will be addressed.

Drafting for need is never a good idea. Jets drafted a potential all pro at a premium position by taking Richardson over Eifert, and you want your GM to do that every time. This offseason was year one of a two year tear down/rebuild. That pick was 100% the right one at the time, and would be the right one next year, too.

He's got a lot of money to play with in free agency next year, a couple extra picks, and a strong group of receivers coming out. Offense will be addressed.

Our offense will be addressed? What if the BAP is another defensive lineman? I thought drafting for need is never a good idea. Sorry but that's just nonsense. The draft is a crapshoot. You try to improve the areas of the team that need it most based on what's available and where the best value is. There are many factors involved. Not just BAP. That's a gross oversimplification. Our offense should have been addressed in the draft already. There were Olineman tight ends running backs and wide receivers in and around richardsons draft slot. Drafting Richardson only made Coples useless. A "C" is reasonable in my opinion.

Archived