Should Rex Be The HC Next Year?

Maxman

Do you think that Rex Ryan should be the head coach of the Jets next season?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that Rex Ryan should be the head coach of the Jets next season?

Yeah, the Jets should bring in a disciplinarian like Al Groh or Eric Mangini, because Vince Lombardi. Or an offensive coach like Joe Walton, Bruce Coslet, or Rich Kotite, because Bill Walsh. This finding a better head coach than Rex sh*t is easy peasy.

In my opinion, FINDING and identifying one is "easy peasey", however getting that guy to actually want to come to NY, deal with everything that goes on with being a coach in NY, and paying him want he wants are the tough parts.

I think anyone of us can Identify worthy candidates, and we are not even on the "inside", but actually getting them signed on the dotted line, then I agree, not"easy peasey"

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing is EVERYBODY had us ranked as one of the worst teams in the league at the start.  Not just the posters here.  I imagine that was based on the roster talent since the season has not started yet. 

In 07 the Giants were almost always ranked in the mid 20's in the starting season power rankings, they won the SB.

The prognosticators who do those stupid thinks early on are lazy like most fans. They don't dive deep, maybe it's too hard for them to dive deep for every team?

I predicted 9-7 this season, and I still stick by that as far as the talent on this team.

When you have a dominating front 7 like we do, most games you can stay close.

I also think that we have a good solid running game. I still believe that the way this team is constructed is Rex 5 years in the making. I know he would have liked more cap space and Revis, but if you listened to Rex from day 1, this is what he wanted.

I have to assume if this is what he wanted, this is what he believed he could win with, dominating Defense and a solid running game.

As much as I despise Holmes, he is a talented guy, him, Kerley and Nelson is not as terrible as many make it out to be.

I also don't think people realize how God awful Sporano was last year. He was historically bad, like the players on offense literally did not know what each other was doing. Having won 6 games last year, I don't think 9 was out of the question with some health improvements, and a major upgrade in OC. Not that Marty is necessarily great, but compared to Sporano anyone who ever played Madden is an upgrade.

In short, the prognosticators are morons, and we play the season for a reason.

In 07 the Giants were almost always ranked in the mid 20's in the starting season power rankings, they won the SB.

The prognosticators who do those stupid thinks early on are lazy like most fans. They don't dive deep, maybe it's too hard for them to dive deep for every team?

I predicted 9-7 this season, and I still stick by that as far as the talent on this team.

When you have a dominating front 7 like we do, most games you can stay close.

I also think that we have a good solid running game. I still believe that the way this team is constructed is Rex 5 years in the making. I know he would have liked more cap space and Revis, but if you listened to Rex from day 1, this is what he wanted.

I have to assume if this is what he wanted, this is what he believed he could win with, dominating Defense and a solid running game.

As much as I despise Holmes, he is a talented guy, him, Kerley and Nelson is not as terrible as many make it out to be.

I also don't think people realize how God awful Sporano was last year. He was historically bad, like the players on offense literally did not know what each other was doing. Having won 6 games last year, I don't think 9 was out of the question with some health improvements, and a major upgrade in OC. Not that Marty is necessarily great, but compared to Sporano anyone who ever played Madden is an upgrade.

In short, the prognosticators are morons, and we play the season for a reason.

Put me in the category of "moron" then, as I predicted 5-11 based solely on our inability to score points, and the play of our QB (of course, I thought it would be the bum from USC).

Now the fact that they exceeded my "expectations", has in no way changed my view that Rex need to be fired.

Put me in the category of "moron" then, as I predicted 5-11 based solely on our inability to score points, and the play of our QB (of course, I thought it would be the bum from USC).

Now the fact that they exceeded my "expectations", has in no way changed my view that Rex need to be fired.

My in short was referring to the genius ESPN, CBS sports, etc prognosticators of the world, not the fans. I think for the most part fans are too emotional, and not objective enough to accurately assess their teams.

The "gay" point differential would say that your prediction was right on the money and that mine was way too high, since the Jets point differential is right there with the 4 to 5 win teams, and far below the other 7-8 win teams.

"Shrugs"

Many predicted a 3-13 season on this board.  With the lack of offensive weapons this team did alright.  We beat Atlanta,N.O,New England if we finish 7-9 8-8 Rex has earned another season.

I would argue that Atlanta sucks, NO is horrible on the road, and the NE game was a complete gift with that penalty. Rex's 5 year body of work in which he had winning seasons in 2 of 5, and should have been 1 of 5 if not for the Colts pulling Manning, that Rex has earned his walking papers.

I would argue that Atlanta sucks, NO is horrible on the road, and the NE game was a complete gift with that penalty. Rex's 5 year body of work in which he had winning seasons in 2 of 5, and should have been 1 of 5 if not for the Colts pulling Manning, that Rex has earned his walking papers.

Yes, I was going to say that actually, I was very close as the Tampa bay game was even more of a gift than the NE game. The TB game was basically a 15 yard penalty on the last play of the game handing the Jets a 43 yard FG instead of 58. The NE game was still tied before the FG penalty, so they actually still could have won that game, even though NE was going to have great field position from the original missed FG.

In summary then , this team played as expected pretty much in 2014. HORRIBLE on offense, and adequte on defense, Undisciplined when it came to penalties, bad decision making, especially by our QB, and too many big plays in the secondary, and if Rex is still the coach next year, then I would expect exactly the same as the past 3 years, complete mediocrity.

Tampa Bay game was NOT a gift.  Geno brought the team back.  WTF is wrong with some Jets fans.  I can see pessimism as being part of New York, but you guys are like the Salvation Army handing back our wins to the other team because we don't "deserve" them.

Tampa Bay game was NOT a gift.  Geno brought the team back.  WTF is wrong with some Jets fans.  I can see pessimism as being part of New York, but you guys are like the Salvation Army handing back our wins to the other team because we don't "deserve" them.

If Geno was not hit on the verge of being out of bounds is there any way the Jets win that game?

NO, it was a gift by a questionable call and a boneheaded move by the defender.

The game was pretty much over if that hit does not happen.

OK, if bringing them back is decsribed as running out of bounds and getting blasted near the Gatorade container, with 3 seconds left to give your field goal kicker a shot from 58 yards, oh wait, flag tack on another 15 to make it 43, then yeah, Geno brought them back.

Sorry, my idea of bringing them back is down 24 at halftime, and slinging it all over the yard.

I guess its just a matter of semantics, right?

If Geno was not hit on the verge of being out of bounds is there any way the Jets win that game?

NO, it was a gift by a questionable call and a boneheaded move by the defender.

The game was pretty much over if that hit does not happen.

The New England win was straight up divine intervention. They won it on a call that was never made before and hasn't been made since.

The New England win was straight up divine intervention. They won it on a call that was never made before and hasn't been made since.

Agree.

I know we all despise the point differential, but we have the 4th worst point differential in football. If we lost those two games we had no business winning, our record would be exactly where our point differential tells us it should be.

Agree.

I know we all despise the point differential, but we have the 4th worst point differential in football. If we lost those two games we had no business winning, our record would be exactly where our point differential tells us it should be.

It still typically is an accurate predictor of wins and losses. And in the Jets/Ryan case shows that there are a lot of games the Jets simply are not prepared to play at all. Add in not winning any consecutive games in almsost 2 years, we're talking a lousy HC. This is the definition of failing to focus on ther task at hand.

If they bring Ryan back next year is going to be totally brutal.

OK, if bringing them back is decsribed as running out of bounds and getting blasted near the Gatorade container, with 3 seconds left to give your field goal kicker a shot from 58 yards, oh wait, flag tack on another 15 to make it 43, then yeah, Geno brought them back.

And why was Tampa Bay ahead so late in the game?  Because in Tampa Bay's comeback, Vincent Jackson caught a short pass and Dawan Landry whiffed the tackle completely, allowing Jackson to run an additional 20+ yards smack dab into field goal range.

Perfect pessimist reasoning:  Our guy makes a shït play to let them go ahead near the end of the game, and Tampa Bay's not lucky, that's just the way football goes.  Their guy makes a shït play at the end of the game to bring us an easier field goal, and that's just dumb luck for us and we don't have the right to claim a "legitimate" win.

You guys need therapy.   :biggrin:

Of course, I agree but remember, the game at that point was tied, and if the penalty hadnt been called,  and the missed field goal stood, who in their right mind actually believed that a 3 time super bowl champ, and arguably 1 of the top 5 QB's to ever sling it, and a guy that has about a thousand comeback wins, would get the ball at about the Jets 45 and drive them a mere 30 yards for the winning FG? Nah, Brady never does that.

And why was Tampa Bay ahead so late in the game?  Because in Tampa Bay's comeback, Vincent Jackson caught a short pass and Dawan Landry whiffed the tackle completely, allowing Jackson to run an additional 20+ yards smack dab into field goal range.

Perfect pessimist reasoning:  Our guy makes a shït play to let them go ahead near the end of the game, and Tampa Bay's not lucky, that's just the way football goes.  Their guy makes a shït play at the end of the game to bring us an easier field goal, and that's just dumb luck for us and we don't have the right to claim a "legitimate" win.

You guys need therapy.   :biggrin:

Whoa, our guy made a Sh*t play as you say and I agree, a whiffed tackle BUT their guy made a DUMB play, a MENTAL mistake,

Big difference, the TB guy merely had to WATCH Geno go out of bounds and they win. Missed tackle VS Watch the guy go out of bounds? hmmmm..........

You guys need therapy.   :biggrin:

But you are right. I need therapy. After all, I'm a Jet fan.

Bad plays are mental, nobody gets down on a 170lb CB for getting run over by a 240lb TE with a full head of steam. Vincent Jackson was bobbling the ball and was slightly vulnerable.  Landry-who intercepted a pass earlier-thought he could take the ball away from Jackson for a second INT.  Jackson got control of the ball just before Landry arrived and made a quick little side step as Landry went to snatch the ball away from Jackson's hands, which were held high.  If Landry went for the man instead of the ball, Jackson gets tackled at the 50 yard line.  Instead he goes down to the 26.

Let's go to the video tape, (2:15): http://www.newyorkjets.com/videos/videos/Jets-vs-Buccaneers-Game-Highlights/26fe83a9-f8e4-4605-b2c2-34ff9b2204be

Bad judgment, mental mistake in both cases.  If the other guys make it, it's just how it rolls.  If we make it, we don't deserve the game.  No other team's fans do this, just Jets fans. 

I just looked at the names of who voted for and against keeping Rex, and I think it's undeniable that the higher average IQ is easily with the Against side.

I don't know about that, but the against side is way ahead in cynicism points.

My take is that we've had far worse coaches than Rex.  He's not a bad coach but he's clearly got shortcomings. In short, we could definitely do worse than him.  I don't want Rex to be fired unless Idzik has a legit upgrade (e.g. O'Brien or Cowher).  If it's some nobody then Idzik better be ready to face the heat.  I know Rex isn't perfect but he isn't a coach to just toss aside (a la Kotite).  Bravado aside, Rex did pretty well here.

Well the results are almost all in and we know enough to say that the Jets will fall short of the playoffs.  There have been countless threads about what Rex Ryan brings to the table (good and bad).

So the question is simple.  Vote and let us know what you think.

On JI it's 75% pro Rex..

My take is that we've had far worse coaches than Rex.  He's not a bad coach but he's clearly got shortcomings. In short, we could definitely do worse than him.  I don't want Rex to be fired unless Idzik has a legit upgrade (e.g. O'Brien or Cowher).  If it's some nobody then Idzik better be ready to face the heat.  I know Rex isn't perfect but he isn't a coach to just toss aside (a la Kotite).  Bravado aside, Rex did pretty well here.

So the reason to keep him is that "weve had far worse coaches"? Thats not much of a ringing endorsement is it. Thats like saying that the girl you have now is a 10 because the one's before were bald and had 3 eyes.

So the reason to keep him is that "weve had far worse coaches"? Thats not much of a ringing endorsement is it. Thats like saying that the girl you have now is a 10 because the one's before were bald and had 3 eyes.

It's not much of a ringing endorsement.  I guess it wasn't a relevant thing to say.  I do think Rex has done a reasonably good job in his years here though.  I know we can get a better coach but we could also end up w/ a worse coach.  I don't think Rex is a "throw-away" (like Kotite, who we knew was no good). 

Archived