Should Rex Be The HC Next Year?

Maxman

Do you think that Rex Ryan should be the head coach of the Jets next season?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that Rex Ryan should be the head coach of the Jets next season?

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Rex should stay because Belichick wasnt good his first five years at Cleveland and his last year was so bad he was fired in midseason after something like a 24 point thumping.  Rex had the same adjustment problems from excellent DC to head coach that Belichick had,  I don't want to see yet another defensive mind depart us only to have spectacular success elsewhere.

It means Rex has enabled the worst quarterback play in the NFL for five seasons.

That might be true, but both QBs he's been saddled with were the respective GM's high draft picks.

There're strong arguments for and against Rex, but in a bottom line business Rex appears to have more pros than cons in at least getting another year extension.

That might be true, but both QBs he's been saddled with were the respective GM's high draft picks.

There're strong arguments for and against Rex, but in a bottom line business Rex appears to have more pros than cons in at least getting another year extension.

The bottom line in the NFL is winning, and Rex hasn't done that for three years.

It's not much of a ringing endorsement.  I guess it wasn't a relevant thing to say.  I do think Rex has done a reasonably good job in his years here though.  I know we can get a better coach but we could also end up w/ a worse coach.  I don't think Rex is a "throw-away" (like Kotite, who we knew was no good). 

I dont think anyone is comparing Rex to Kotite, just like hopefully no one is comparing Rex to Parcells. Rex is an adequate coach with some good points, that clearly do not out weigh his fallacies. Mediocre seems to be all he can offer, and this fanbase deserves better than mediocrity, considering what we have endured for 45 years. Time to try to improve on mediocrity. Sorry.

Yeah he's a great coach. We already got our offensive coach in Mornhinweg and we got Rex running the defense, why change? We definitely need better talent evaluators though. We've been drafting sh*tty.

This is exactly how I feel.  

I dont think anyone is comparing Rex to Kotite, just like hopefully no one is comparing Rex to Parcells. Rex is an adequate coach with some good points, that clearly do not out weigh his fallacies. Mediocre seems to be all he can offer, and this fanbase deserves better than mediocrity, considering what we have endured for 45 years. Time to try to improve on mediocrity. Sorry.

Again, I'm not saying we should necessarily keep Rex.  I'm just saying we shouldn't "throw him away".  In other words, I'm fine w/ getting rid of him but, if it happens, I hope it's because Idzik thinks he's got a much better option (as opposed to "let's just dump Rex because he's terrible").

Again, I'm not saying we should necessarily keep Rex.  I'm just saying we shouldn't "throw him away".  In other words, I'm fine w/ getting rid of him but, if it happens, I hope it's because Idzik thinks he's got a much better option (as opposed to "let's just dump Rex because he's terrible").

No, I think it would be more like "lets dump Rex because he's not my guy". That simple.

No, I think it would be more like "lets dump Rex because he's not my guy". That simple.

Well I think that is what it's boiling down to.  I think Idzik was forced by Woody to "try Rex" for 1 year and then make a decision.  Ultimately I think Idzik was only going to keep Rex if he was blown away by his performance.  A 7-9 or 8-8 record and no playoffs certainly doesn't qualify.  So I think Idzik will bring in "his guy", like you said.  I certainly hope it's Bill O'Brien but since he's BB's friend, maybe it won't be.

In any case, this team has a legit chance to go forward now w/ salary cap space and extra draft picks.

Well I think that is what it's boiling down to.  I think Idzik was forced by Woody to "try Rex" for 1 year and then make a decision.  Ultimately I think Idzik was only going to keep Rex if he was blown away by his performance.  A 7-9 or 8-8 record and no playoffs certainly doesn't qualify.  So I think Idzik will bring in "his guy", like you said.  I certainly hope it's Bill O'Brien but since he's BB's friend, maybe it won't be.

In any case, this team has a legit chance to go forward now w/ salary cap space and extra draft picks.

I dont think the hiring of O'brien, has anything to do with Being BB's friend. If O'brien wants this job, and Idzik wants him, then he will be the next Jets head coach.

What it's come down to for me is, everyone pretty much universally agrees Rex can coach Defense....and personally, for me, if the Jets go out and get an offensive minded HC to replace him, I don't think that guy is going to be better than Mornhinweg.

You're aware that they found an unemployed Mornhinweg in an alley behind a Starbucks this January, correct?

Mornhinweg has a more accomplished resume than half the Head Coaches in the league.

If you say so.

But he chose the Jets because he literally had no other options at all.

If he did, he never takes a job with a HC on the bit seat and no QB and no skilled players at all.

It's pretty clear we were his only option.

You're disgusting, it's Xmas and kids read this stuff. Mods do your job and shut this troll down

You're disgusting, it's the day after Xmas and kids read this stuff. Mods do your job and shut this troll down 

If you say so.

But he chose the Jets because he literally had no other options at all.

If he did, he never takes a job with a HC on the bit seat and no QB and no skilled players at all.

It's pretty clear we were his only option.

I would put it all down but tbh I've already done that in past post. Mornhinweg is a very good OC. I'm not saying he's the greatest of all time but he's solid and competent with years of coaching multiple Hall of Fame QBs and top 10 offenses. People want to give Reid all the accolades fine but Mornhinweg was still there. He's also coached under the great Bill Walsh and has had success under Holmgren w/ Favre in Green Bay and with Mariucci with Young/Garcia in SF. Dude helped turn Jeff Garcia into a Pro Bowl QB. Imo, that's something. And quite frankly there wasn't a lot of places to go last year and, although this is just a guess, he very well could have just wanted to get out of Reid's shadow.

He's coached some brilliant drives this year with sh*t. Also, just b/c a coach picks the Jets doesn't mean he automatically must suck, scrapping for scraps on the bottom of the NFL dumpster. Jeez, lol. 

Bottom line, if Rex goes and they bring in some new, offensive minded HC...I'll dare you to compare resumes, experience and achievments. 

A guy like Bevell coming in scares me...he'll be a young first time HC and the GM's guy. Seemingly, a company man who might have a hard time winning over the respect from the locker room.  

I would put it all down but tbh I've already done that in past post. Mornhinweg is a very good OC. I'm not saying he's the greatest of all time but he's solid and competent with years of coaching multiple Hall of Fame QBs and top 10 offenses. People want to give Reid all the accolades fine but Mornhinweg was still there. He's also coached under the great Bill Walsh and has had success under Holmgren w/ Favre in Green Bay and with Mariucci with Young/Garcia in SF. Dude helped turn Jeff Garcia into a Pro Bowl QB. Imo, that's something. And quite frankly there wasn't a lot of places to go last year and, although this is just a guess, he very well could have just wanted to get out of Reid's shadow.

He's coached some brilliant drives this year with sh*t. Also, just b/c a coach picks the Jets doesn't mean he automatically must suck, scrapping for scraps on the bottom of the NFL dumpster. Jeez, lol.

Bottom line, if Rex goes and they bring in some new, offensive minded HC...I'll dare you to compare resumes, experience and achievments.

A guy like Bevell coming in scares me...he'll be a young first time HC and the GM's guy. Seemingly, a company man who might have a hard time winning over the respect from the locker room.

I don't dislike Marty, and I think he is competent which is a huge upgrade over our last several OCs.

But I have never seen anything to say he is a great offensive mind.

A lot of what you said could have been said about Paul Hackett as well.

And the fact remains that he is only here because he literally had no other options at all, which is at least somewhat alarming.

Archived