Should Rex Be The HC Next Year?

Maxman

Do you think that Rex Ryan should be the head coach of the Jets next season?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that Rex Ryan should be the head coach of the Jets next season?

If Idzik fires Rex then he sure as hell better have the next hall of fame coach lined up. He sure better be right. Because chances are, getting rid of Rex is going to be a major disaster.

Next HOF coach? Does this imply that Rex is a HOF coach?

Rex aint going anywhere. This fan base is completely bamboozled by Rex and Woody is not going to do anything to piss off this fan base.

The only question at this point is do they bring him back on a one year deal or extend him.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rex aint going anywhere. This fan base is completely bamboozled by Rex and Woody is not going to do anything to piss off this fan base.

The only question at this point is do they bring him back on a one year deal or extend him.

Actually, according to most polls, its about HALF the fanbase is "bamboozled", and WOODY just about EVERYDAY pisses off this fanbase.

You seem to forget that the odds of IDZIK not wanting his own guy are very slim. LOVIE had a better record than REX and he got whacked in the exact same situiation as we are in now. Dont lose faith in Idzik.

OK, let me make sure I understand how it works around here since I am apparently on very thin ice.

You and other vehement Rex defenders claim it's one of the worst rosters in the league, and that makes it true.

I on the other hand believe it to be a middle tier roster, not top nor bottom, and my belief somehow carries less weight than your belief?

Your belief carries less weight only because it's wrong. No other reason. The Jets QB/WR situation alone puts them in the bottom third of the league.

Your belief carries less weight only because it's wrong. No other reason. The Jets QB/WR situation alone puts them in the bottom third of the league.

The six first round picks on defense and the two on the offensive line guarantee that you'll run the ball and play well enough on D to stay in half your games. Which is what they do. For three years. Kudos.

The six first round picks on defense and the two on the offensive line guarantee that you'll run the ball and play well enough on D to stay in half your games. Which is what they do. For three years. Kudos.

Good thing the new GM changed that up.

If the Jets bring Rex back , he gets 2 more years or fire him , I do not see any coach doing a better job with this team , the team has no talent , I looking forward to see what woody does

Talent on defense does not count for overall roster talent, because he say so!

If the Jets bring Rex back , he gets 2 more years or fire him , I do not see any coach doing a better job with this team , the team has no talent , I looking forward to see what woody does

Yeah, that d line and front 7 is completely void if talent.

Those RBs too, and the two pro bowl o lineman, all suck!

Actually, according to most polls, its about HALF the fanbase is "bamboozled", and WOODY just about EVERYDAY pisses off this fanbase.

You seem to forget that the odds of IDZIK not wanting his own guy are very slim. LOVIE had a better record than REX and he got whacked in the exact same situiation as we are in now. Dont lose faith in Idzik.

We will see , but it seems the large majority of Jet fans want Rex back, as crazy as that is to me. Woody seems to be motivated by PSL so I suspect he will do what he thinks will sell more PSLs.

I have no reason to believe Idzik has power yet, he was forced to keep Rex to get the job.

Hope I'm wrong.

We will see , but it seems the large majority of Jet fans want Rex back, as crazy as that is to me. Woody seems to be motivated by PSL so I suspect he will do what he thinks will sell more PSLs.

I have no reason to believe Idzik has power yet, he was forced to keep Rex to get the job.

Hope I'm wrong.

Again, same thing happened in Chicago. Forced to "work" with Lovie for one year. He did, and then showed him the door before the clock read 00:00 in the 16th game.

I am a big fan of Idzik and trust he will do the "right" thing. We will know a week from today.

Again, same thing happened in Chicago. Forced to "work" with Lovie for one year. He did, and then showed him the door before the clock read 00:00 in the 16th game.

I am a big fan of Idzik and trust he will do the "right" thing. We will know a week from today.

Why?

Why?

First, we had to have a GM that would accept the job, given the unbelieveable parameters put on him by Woody. He obviously has patience, as he was willing to wait out the year, before he gets a chance to whack REX. He is obviously committed to building for the future rather than mortgaging it like his predecessor.

He has had 1 draft, and although, I never ever wanted him to draft GENO, he obviously saw how bad his predecessor was and thought he just had to have a better option. He was very unlucky as this draft was absolutely putrid for QB's as proven by their performances.

We have 50 million in cap space and 10 or so picks, and watching what happened in Seattle makes me think that he has a model that is currently working, and is willing to institute it here, at least I hope so.

If most people who are pro-REX can look beyond IDZIK's obvious desire to fire REX, and give him a chance, even if he does whack him, then I really think this organization can move forward. However, unfortunately, about half this fanbase will form an opinion, good or bad, after he whacks REX and thats an obvious issue, as it would be nice to be able to rally the entire fanbase behind a new regime.

Really, its not much more than Hunch on Idzik, but I am backing him 100% right now. Sorry.

I used to think he was a master defensive coach, but this defense stinks and their numbers are more lies than anything else.  I mean the past couple of weeks it wasn't like that vaunted rush defense kept the opponent in check.  And hell, it's easy to have a vaunted rush defense when the other team always throws for 300+ yard games no matter who is QB.       

I think he gets great things out of a lot of scrub players.   The problem is as a HC, he kind of builds a team of scrubs.  Sometimes those guys play over their heads and win. Mostly they finish 8-8 or around that record.   Which is why Rex is around that record as a HC.   When you're just a DC and everybody else is making most of the tough decisions,  you get to take chances and get the best out of everybody.  And you might get great players.    He's had his way with a few positions, but other than that, his talent evaluation sucks and the secondary stinks.  

Who the hell cares if you have a #1 rush defense who gives up 120 yards to a backup RB on the raiders when you are giving up 300 yards passing a game and hardly ever stop teams on third down.  And this goes back to that Steelers championship game as well.   That vaunted defense couldn't stop big ben and give the offense one last chance to make a historic comeback.    Yeah the entire team sucked for most of that game, but they came back, and the defense needed to make one damn stop.  They didn't and that was the last time this team mattered as far as winning.      Great defenses figure ways to stop Big Ben.  Defenses with over inflated egos find ways to make excuses over the same crap year after year.   That's where I think Rex is at this point.   Living in the past around having a great defense.   

And lets not even talk about his offense as HC.

Because the players KNOW Rex has their backs. They can HAVE a bad game and Rex will defend them. The NY Jets LOVE Rex because of that, but that is NOT a positive, it is a negative. Rex can NEVER be the bad cop the team needs to kick a guy in the a$$ instead of a pat on the back. Or - in the case of Kyle Wilson - a much deserved pink slip. Wilson is in his fourth NFL season (shouldn't have seen year three) and has YET to make a decent play in all that time. Yet, Rex trots him out there again and again to do what he does which is nothing. You are right, a great run defense means very little in today's league, but it's what Rex hangs his hat on. Clearly the Jets need a change.

We have 50 million in cap space and 10 or so picks, and watching what happened in Seattle makes me think that he has a model that is currently working, and is willing to institute it here, at least I hope so.

If most people who are pro-REX can look beyond IDZIK's obvious desire to fire REX, and give him a chance, even if he does whack him, then I really think this organization can move forward. However, unfortunately, about half this fanbase will form an opinion, good or bad, after he whacks REX and thats an obvious issue, as it would be nice to be able to rally the entire fanbase behind a new regime.

Gotcha.

I'm not sold yet that Idzik has an obvious desire to fire Rex, and that's not what I, personally, will judge him on. I'll judge him on his ability to build a team. I didn't want a guy from the business side of things running the team, I wanted a personnel guy. I'd rather have the creative guy in charge, with assistants handling contracts than the other way around. Free agents, trades, draft picks all go thru the GM, and it would be nice if that GM had solid talent evaluating skills rather than having to rely on underlings (like the retained Terry Bradway) for that function.

But if he can prove me wrong and put a team together, I'll be pleased.

If he fires the coach, he needs to bring in someone better. And he needs to find a QB. It's not an easy job.

He is starting to pull away with it.  If the Jets win on Sunday I think the vote will be a landslide.

Too bad you guys don't decide eh? I think Rex is toast even if guys like Steve Serby have come to his defense. Serby hates the Jets so I wonder what his angle is exactly.

Or - in the case of Kyle Wilson - a much deserved pink slip. Wilson is in his fourth NFL season (shouldn't have seen year three) and has YET to make a decent play in all that time. Yet, Rex trots him out there again and again to do what he does which is nothing.

Kyle Wilson may not've lived up to his first round draft status, but he is one of the best slot CBs in the league. Even If Idzik fires Rex, he's likely to not only keep Wilson, but resign him to a contract extension.

First, we had to have a GM that would accept the job, given the unbelieveable parameters put on him by Woody. He obviously has patience, as he was willing to wait out the year, before he gets a chance to whack REX. He is obviously committed to building for the future rather than mortgaging it like his predecessor.

He has had 1 draft, and although, I never ever wanted him to draft GENO, he obviously saw how bad his predecessor was and thought he just had to have a better option. He was very unlucky as this draft was absolutely putrid for QB's as proven by their performances.

Really, its not much more than Hunch on Idzik, but I am backing him 100% right now. Sorry.

Me too. I have had enough Rex Ryan for one lifetime. The Jets will never be a SB team with Rex and I am convinced of that. No knowledge of offense and poor game management skills. The only thing the apolgists have is that they say he is a 'master motivator' and I have issues with that as the Jets lay down when they should stand up. They are great at playing hard when nothing is at stake and that lends to Rex being their buddy. No more buddies, it's time for a disciplinarian and offensive mind to take over.

Kyle Wilson may not've lived up to his first round draft status, but he is one of the best slot CBs in the league. Even If Idzik fires Rex, he's likely to not only keep Wilson, but resign him to a contract extension.

Name me ONE game where Wilson has made a play. How many ints does he have? How many passes defensed? Not many if ANY, so you thinking he is a good slot CB is NOT something I take seriously. He sucks.

No more buddies, it's time for a disciplinarian and offensive mind to take over.

Yeah, the Jets should bring in a disciplinarian like Al Groh or Eric Mangini, because Vince Lombardi. Or an offensive coach like Joe Walton, Bruce Coslet, or Rich Kotite, because Bill Walsh. This finding a better head coach than Rex sh*t is easy peasy.

Yeah, the Jets should bring in a disciplinarian like Al Groh or Eric Mangini, because Vince Lombardi. Or an offensive coach like Joe Walton, Bruce Coslet, or Rich Kotite, because Bill Walsh. This finding a better head coach than Rex sh*t is easy peasy.

I guess that also depends on your opinion (or in your case fact?) about how good of a HC Rex really is.

I could care less about disciplinarian. I want someone to come into this organization who can identify and develop a QB, and be a real leader for the football team. Their style is not important as long as they can truly lead.

But it's all moot because Rex will be back, after all he beat the juggernaut Browns roster with the worst roster in the history of the NFL.

Gotcha.

I'm not sold yet that Idzik has an obvious desire to fire Rex, and that's not what I, personally, will judge him on. I'll judge him on his ability to build a team. I didn't want a guy from the business side of things running the team, I wanted a personnel guy. I'd rather have the creative guy in charge, with assistants handling contracts than the other way around. Free agents, trades, draft picks all go thru the GM, and it would be nice if that GM had solid talent evaluating skills rather than having to rely on underlings (like the retained Terry Bradway) for that function.

But if he can prove me wrong and put a team together, I'll be pleased.

If he fires the coach, he needs to bring in someone better. And he needs to find a QB. It's not an easy job.

I agree with everything you just stated, however, I think you may be in the minority, if in fact he does fire REX. The Pro-Rex voice is very loud, and I fear that, that voice(unlike yours) will form an immediate negative connotation of Idzik, even before his first full year has expired.

Look, as is obvious, I am a 100%, fire REX guy, but if Idzik retains him, I wont in any way hold that against him. I will support him 100% going forward until in my mind, he has proved inadequate, and thats the least that any Jets fan can do, no matter which side of the Rex issue they are on.

Happy Holidays.

OK, let me make sure I understand how it works around here since I am apparently on very thin ice.

You and other vehement Rex defenders claim it's one of the worst rosters in the league, and that makes it true.

I on the other hand believe it to be a middle tier roster, not top nor bottom, and my belief somehow carries less weight than your belief?

The thing is EVERYBODY had us ranked as one of the worst teams in the league at the start.  Not just the posters here.  I imagine that was based on the roster talent since the season has not started yet. 

Too bad you guys don't decide eh? I think Rex is toast even if guys like Steve Serby have come to his defense. Serby hates the Jets so I wonder what his angle is exactly.

Wrecks is good for business if you're a tabloid columnist. Stick your phone in front of him, ask a silly question and the day's work is done.

Archived