Should Rex Be The HC Next Year?

Maxman

Do you think that Rex Ryan should be the head coach of the Jets next season?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that Rex Ryan should be the head coach of the Jets next season?

Repeating this doesn't make it true. Woody's no bigger a dipsh*t than Bob McNair or Jerry Richardson or basically anyone else who owns a team save the Rooneys and the Maras, cost of living is immaterial for someone making well into the seven figures annually, anyone who's afraid of the media isn't head-coaching material in the first place, practically any open HC vacancy will by definition involve a bad roster, and the evidence for the GM overruling the HC is that you really want it to be true so you can continue painting Rex as a blameless victim.

It's pretty simple. There are three types of head-coaching vacancies: a.) teams with a franchise quarterback, b.) teams without a franchise quarterback, c.) teams owned by Dan Snyder. No one takes a b.) job if an a.) job's available, but ceteris paribus, there's not a ton of difference within the b.) range. How is working for the Jets any less desirable than working for Tennesee or Oakland or Minnesota? Or, if you want to go back to last year, Buffalo or Arizona or Cleveland?

And spare me the Namath-era ball boy speech. This is nothing more than self-pitying inferiority-complex crap. The fact that Rex has some distant familial connection to the Jets means less than nothing. The goal is to find a coach who can win a championship, not a coach who really really likes us.

Thank you so much for proving to me that there are still some jets fans with brains.

The Rex Ryan lovers had me worried.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting you bring them up, both have superior rosters, with QB's who have won 2 SB's and neither of them have a better record than Rex's sh*t roster with Geno ******* Smith.

Rex is a DC. A glorified DC, but a DC.  If you are the head coach, and half your team constantly sucks, you should be relieved of your position

SayNoToDMC is the clown here. Closet Pats fan says Rex is his own best attribute. Says HUMILITY is an ASSET of Rex even though the blowhard goes into a magazine interview PRIOR to this season and touts himself as a "great coach." Real humble that Rex. Respect was another issue you touted - which one of the 31 OTHER HC's in the league asked for your invaluable opinion and told you how much they respect Rex. You said players "chomp at the bit" to play for Rex. If you mean over the hill former Ravens, you would be correct-amundo, but I don't see FA's from other teams leaving their team because they can't wait to play for Rex Ryan. You sir are a dolt of major magnitude, and I think you REALLY have a Tom Brady fat head with lipstick of YOUR shade on strategic parts of it. Mostly BELOW the belt.

Listen Bozo.......

A. Rex calling himself a GREAT coach is just him being REALISTIC, when every coach/RB in the league has night terrors the week they play us cause of Rex's handcrafted run D that means something

B. I can't speak for every coach obviously but I do know Gary Kubiak personally(I hate to name drop but I gotta put this dude in his place) and we spoke over labor day this year about Rex and he was GUSHING. If we're smart enough to keep Rex I'm pretty sure he'd consider coming here to run the offense

C. We just got a HoFer over the Pats, if we had wanted Manning I have NO doubt HE would have rather been HERE. Name one player Rex wanted and he didn't get?!? I wish you where more smart cause this is too easy...... you're CLUELESS

If we go 8-8 and Rex still gets fired that makes me think he was a sitting duck all along. Before the season many people would have considered 7-9 or 8-8 better than what they thought the result for this team would be. If you gave them the state of the team in preseason and said that Geno would start and would turn the ball over nearly 30 times, I think most people would guess this team would win maybe 3 games tops.

All in all, this season is better than last year, and if Rex is fired it makes me think that he was always going to be fired unless he happened to bring this team to the playoffs, an expectation that was surely not likely to be met considering the state of the team.

All of you who want Rex fired may get what you want. But if the next head coach gives this team a record worse than what this year's team ends up with, Idzik will surely find his seat getting warm. Trading the team's best player (a move I agree with, but Milliner is looking like he wasn't worth the pick so far), possibly drafting a bust at quarterback, firing a coach and hiring your own guy, and for what? Less wins? Idizik would be on notice at that point. Like it or not, if we make a head coaching change, fans will expect more wins in the first year under the new head coach, if he doesn't match or surpass the total from this year the change looks like a mistake.

If we go 8-8 and Rex still gets fired that makes me think he was a sitting duck all along. Before the season many people would have considered 7-9 or 8-8 better than what they thought the result for this team would be. If you gave them the state of the team in preseason and said that Geno would start and would turn the ball over nearly 30 times, I think most people would guess this team would win maybe 3 games tops.

All in all, this season is better than last year, and if Rex is fired it makes me think that he was always going to be fired unless he happened to bring this team to the playoffs, an expectation that was surely not likely to be met considering the state of the team.

All of you who want Rex fired may get what you want. But if the next head coach gives this team a record worse than what this year's team ends up with, Idzik will surely find his seat getting warm. Trading the team's best player (a move I agree with, but Milliner is looking like he wasn't worth the pick so far), possibly drafting a bust at quarterback, firing a coach and hiring your own guy, and for what? Less wins? Idizik would be on notice at that point. Like it or not, if we make a head coaching change, fans will expect more wins in the first year under the new head coach, if he doesn't match or surpass the total from this year the change looks like a mistake.

I agree with this....

So I deleted my No Vote for a Yes. Not only does it draw tension back into a tie vote I'm actually not so sure now that there is any other candidate out there that I actually like. I'm also finding it interesting how many supporters he seems to have on the team and the way they still played for him. 

I'm starting to also think I'd like to see this team anti up on an all out Offensive Draft and FA and then see what he can do. 

I also really like Marty Mornhenwig and quite honestly don't see any new Offensive minded coach having any better a clue than MM. 

Still surfing the fence tbh but I'm coming back around on Rex. again.

So I deleted my No Vote for a Yes. Not only does it draw tension back into a tie vote I'm actually not so sure now that there is any other candidate out there that I actually like. I'm also finding it interesting how many supporters he seems to have on the team and the way they still played for him. 

I'm starting to also think I'd like to see this team anti up on an all out Offensive Draft and FA and then see what he can do. 

I also really like Marty Mornhenwig and quite honestly don't see any new Offensive minded coach having any better a clue than MM. 

Even through your feminine rants I could tell you were still rational.  Sadly the same can't be said for 80.  He's gone full retard.

and Integrity?  he's remained full retard.

8-8 really muddies the waters, so you can bank on it, lol

8-8 with genover and ivory and holmes as your "triplets" is pretty impressive, add a rookie CB and a hurt CB and sucky safeties and logic tells you to keep that HC

but the substitution penalties, pre-snap penalties, wasted TO's, just screams out  - this is not a well coached team

oy

Even through your feminine rants I could tell you were still rational.  Sadly the same can't be said for 80.  He's gone full retard.

and Integrity?  he's remained full retard.

This coming from a man who has Fonzi water skiing in a leather jacket as his avatar

:)

No matter what WE think. I believe the decision has already been made. I think John Idzik hires the guy HE wants to run this team and NOT the guy he was forced to accept. I think Idzik knows that he better make the right decision or he will be gone as well since Wood man loves him some Rex. There are as many reasons to fire Rex as there are to keep him there is no doubt of that. Continuity is big in football, especially for a team with a young QB. Unlike Sanchez however, Rex will stay far, far away from Geno and let MM do his job of teaching him the offense. The cons for Rex is that "the team plays hard for him," We all know that is NOT true. The Jets play well when there are NO EXPECTATIONS. Counted out of the playoff picture the Jets suddenly look like the team we have been hoping for since Atlanta. Rex can ONLY motivate from a position of weakness and calamity. We as fans, need a HC that can get the most of the players EACH and EVERY game and embrace the phrase "control your own destiny" instead of running from it.

Holmes is almost certain to not be back next year. With his bad 'tude this guy should have been cut at midseason, but salary cap restrictions made that impossible. I do believe Geno Smith will be much better next year and I hope Ivory can give us a full season next year as well. 8-8 or whatever, I think John Idzik has already made up his mind on Rex.

I have always been on the keep him side, but I appreciate everything you said here.  Most of the complaints against Rex can be reigned in with a strong GM.  If Tannenbaum got bullied that's on him IMO.  I won't be surprised if Idzik dumps him to go with his own candidate, but I think it will be a mistake. Can't blame the guy for wanting his own coach though. 

I have always been on the keep him side, but I appreciate everything you said here.  Most of the complaints against Rex can be reigned in with a strong GM.  If Tannenbaum got bullied that's on him IMO.  I won't be surprised if Idzik dumps him to go with his own candidate, but I think it will be a mistake. Can't blame the guy for wanting his own coach though. 

Your thoughts have been recorded for posterity's sake.

Thats because he should be.  This is a solid coaching staff.  First tme in a really long time the Jets have such a great group of coaches.  It would be very sad to see them all get fired for exceeding expectations.

Rex is a great HC.  Players say it, anyone who knows the league says it...Jets fans dont.  Its a shame.

Agreed.  Its his decision, I'm very confident he'll find his own guy, doesnt make it right nor does it mean it will work but Rex is a goner.

It's sad.  Always hate seeing someone fired who doesnt deserve it.  Especially, when they're the right man for the job. 

How do you know this?

Cause he is almost 500 with this trainwreck.  You can debate whether this is a 7-8 win roster, but there is no debating that they have money and draft picks to improve.  They did not have that this offseason and Idzik let them take their lumps.  I don't want to take  my lumps.  I want to **** people up and that's what they should do.  I'm not saying they should fire the next guy, but that he and Idzik will have some explaining to do for me to buy in. 

I will say this.  I am not giving a new coach too much grace period to adapt to the roster.  If Idzik makes the change, the guy had better be ready to roll with what he's got and this team had better be above 500 next year because I know they would be with Rex.  None of this 3-4 to Cover Who to 3-4 bullsh*t.

This team loves Rex Ryan.  He'll be the best Head Coach they've ever played for when they retire.  If the next Head Coach doesnt get everyone bought in immediately, this team will give up on him and their GM and the Jets wil move to London.

It's a minor miracle that Rex wrung 7 wins out of this 3-win roster, but God help the next coach if he doesn't make the playoffs in year one

Agreed.  There is no doubt in my mind if Rex returned, this team returns to the playoffs. 

Instead, we're going to have to suffer through the bumps and bruises of a first time Head Coach leanring on the job with a team that was on the brink just the year before with a Head Coach that everyone loved and adored.

Archived