2014 = most important year in franchise history???

R3V1S24

As reported, Rex Ryan will return for the 2014 season. Next year will be his 6th season as the Jets head coach, tying the 3rd longest head coach tenture in the history of the this franchise (Walt Micheals 1977-82, the first two Weeb Ewbank 1963-73 & Joe Walton 1983-89). We've had 17 different head coaches run our football franchise and only 3 of them had/have winning records as Jets HC, Bill Parcells : 29-19 in three seasons, Al Groh: 9-7 in one season and currently Rex Ryan: 41-38 in 5 seasons. 

Since 2000, the Jets have seen 4 different head coaches run the show. That year, Bill Belichick was named the new Patriots head coach. The Patriots struggled that year, finishing 5-11. In 2002, the Patriots dropped to 9-7 and missed the playoffs. The previous year, the Pats had a miracle run to win Super Bowl XXXVI. Everyone thought that run was a fluke. Well you guys know what happened after....

I would love to see this Rex Ryan era reach past 10 seasons, i really do. We've seen success and failure under his regime and let be honest, i could name plenty of franchises that would kill for what we've done for the last 5 seasons (try me). This upcoming draft is deep. Next years free agency contains alot of key players, which the Jets are currently lacking. We need a stable core!! and with key draft picks and acquisitions, we can have a winning team for years to come!!

That why i look at the 2014 season is the best opportunity to change history. The Patriots are still winning, but i think your finally seeing the crack in the armor. Brady without quality play makers is vulnerable, Gronk is a cripple, and we've seen our defense be able to contain Brady. The Dolphins in big time situations choke in the moment, like today. And the Bills are the Bills.

We need to dethrone the Pats! We need to win the AFC East next year! 

Anything less then that will result in another coaching regime and a more disappointing years to come, and I'm sick and tired of that same old story.

So finish this line and give me your thoughts on how we can become a stable franchise...

The 2014 New York Jets will...........

As reported, Rex Ryan will return for the 2014 season. Next year will be his 6th season as the Jets head coach, tying the 3rd longest head coach tenture in the history of the this franchise (Walt Micheals 1977-82, the first two Weeb Ewbank 1963-73 & Joe Walton 1983-89). We've had 17 different head coaches run our football franchise and only 3 of them had/have winning records as Jets HC, Bill Parcells : 29-19 in three seasons, Al Groh: 9-7 in one season and currently Rex Ryan: 41-38 in 5 seasons.

Since 2000, the Jets have seen 4 different head coaches run the show. That year, Bill Belichick was named the new Patriots head coach. The Patriots struggled that year, finishing 5-11. In 2002, the Patriots dropped to 9-7 and missed the playoffs. The previous year, the Pats had a miracle run to win Super Bowl XXXVI. Everyone thought that run was a fluke. Well you guys know what happened after....

I would love to see this Rex Ryan era reach past 10 seasons, i really do. We've seen success and failure under his regime and let be honest, i could name plenty of franchises that would kill for what we've done for the last 5 seasons (try me). This upcoming draft is deep. Next years free agency contains alot of key players, which the Jets are currently lacking. We need a stable core!! and with key draft picks and acquisitions, we can have a winning team for years to come!!

That why i look at the 2014 season is the best opportunity to change history. The Patriots are still winning, but i think your finally seeing the crack in the armor. Brady without quality play makers is vulnerable, Gronk is a cripple, and we've seen our defense be able to contain Brady. The Dolphins in big time situations choke in the moment, like today. And the Bills are the Bills.

Anything less then that will result in another coaching regime and a more disappointing years to come, and I'm sick and tired of that same old story.

So finish this line and give me your thoughts on how we can become a stable franchise...

Be the jets 8-8 no playoffs but hope for next year like always ! Pats win again.

As reported, Rex Ryan will return for the 2014 season. Next year will be his 6th season as the Jets head coach, tying the 3rd longest head coach tenture in the history of the this franchise (Walt Micheals 1977-82, the first two Weeb Ewbank 1963-73 & Joe Walton 1983-89). ....

I've only recently come to follow the Jets so forgive me if I don't know all or your history.  That is a STAGGERING piece of information.  I hear many of you wanting to throw Geno under the bus without much of a chance.  It seems you do the same thing with coaches.  I've read that stability in the coaching position is critical in college...I wonder if that's true in the NFL.

Since 2000, the Jets have seen 4 different head coaches run the show. That year, Bill Belichick was named the new Patriots head coach. The Patriots struggled that year, finishing 5-11. In 2002, the Patriots dropped to 9-7 and missed the playoffs. The previous year, the Pats had a miracle run to win Super Bowl XXXVI. Everyone thought that run was a fluke. Well you guys know what happened after....

I would love to see this Rex Ryan era reach past 10 seasons, i really do. We've seen success and failure under his regime and let be honest, i could name plenty of franchises that would kill for what we've done for the last 5 seasons (try me). This upcoming draft is deep. Next years free agency contains alot of key players, which the Jets are currently lacking. We need a stable core!! and with key draft picks and acquisitions, we can have a winning team for years to come!!

This is 2008 all over again minus Favre, the big $$$$ will be thrown around in free agency, 4 draft picks inside the top 110, a offensive system in place, and a defensive system in place, coach fired without a playoff birth, and a GM who will get to choose his man, and QB if the whole thing blows up the following year, and live, or die with those 2 choices, and just like Tanny if the QB busts so will Idzik's bubble.

But I think it will be a nice winning season next year, and this will be the start of a 1998-2004 Jets run, hopefully the Jets find a QB who can stay healthy, and finish the job unlike those 7 years!

I've only recently come to follow the Jets so forgive me if I don't know all or your history. That is a STAGGERING piece of information. I hear many of you wanting to throw Geno under the bus without much of a chance. It seems you do the same thing with coaches. I've read that stability in the coaching position is critical in college...I wonder if that's true in the NFL.

Its sooooooo crutial in the NFL!! You see all the good teams in the NFL, there coaches have been there for numorus years. As much as people grill Andy Reids tenture in Philly, he was 130-93-1 in 14 season as Eagles coaches, made the playoffs 9 times, made it to the NFC Chip game 4 times and appered in the Super Bowl in 2004. Sure they didnt close the deal, but hey! Thats consistent winning!

In other words, it's already not Rex's fault if we miss the playoffs next season.

The team needs talent, and that's supposed to be Idzik's domain. I'm not nearly as big on placing blame on a single entity as a lot of folks around here, though, and Idzik's the boss. So I guess that even if Idzik falls on his face, he gets to fire Rex if he wants to.

Be the jets 8-8 no playoffs but hope for next year like always ! Pats win again.

The team needs talent, and that's supposed to be Idzik's domain. I'm not nearly as big on placing blame on a single entity as a lot of folks around here, though, and Idzik's the boss. So I guess that even if Idzik falls on his face, he gets to fire Rex if he wants to.

sh*t rolls down hill!

I think it is WAAAAY to early to be predicting anything next year... It would be hard enough to predict what our roster will look like 5 months from now.  That being said, 8-8 this year, with a lot of injuries, and not a ton of talent to begin with, is pretty good and I feel a step in the right direction.   Hopefully the young guys that contributed on this team (D Nelson, Allen, Davis, Powell, Winters, Cumberland) will all get full off-seasons with the franchise and an opportunity again next year to build on their growth and hopefully become part of our new core...  Also key how we draft this year and what we do in FA. 

Since 2000, the Jets have seen 4 different head coaches run the show. That year, Bill Belichick was named the new Patriots head coach. The Patriots struggled that year, finishing 5-11. In 2002, the Patriots dropped to 9-7 and missed the playoffs. The previous year, the Pats had a miracle run to win Super Bowl XXXVI. Everyone thought that run was a fluke. Well you guys know what happened after....

I would love to see this Rex Ryan era reach past 10 seasons, i really do. We've seen success and failure under his regime and let be honest, i could name plenty of franchises that would kill for what we've done for the last 5 seasons (try me). This upcoming draft is deep. Next years free agency contains alot of key players, which the Jets are currently lacking. We need a stable core!! and with key draft picks and acquisitions, we can have a winning team for years to come!!

They improved by 2 games in a year when they had no wiggle room cap wise.  They have a lot of flexibility next year, they should improve by 2 games again (worst case scenario).  Not sure they can over take the Pats, but it definitely needs to be the goal. 

I really don't want to give Rex any more draft picks. It's like pissing in a river.

Honestly, where do people get off thinking Rex makes the draft picks? I thought the Jets were very public about Rex's role in the draft under Tannenbaum, Rex was permitted ONE pick of his own in the draft. He picked John Conner in the 2010 draft, which I believe was mentioned on hard knocks, I don't know what the picks of his were in 2011 or 2012 (I doubt he had a pick in 2009 when we only had 3 picks in the entire draft)

I'm sure this practice was discontinued under Idzik. If I remember correctly on draft day 2013, commentators on SNY were blasting the pick of Dee Milliner, and I think it was Schein or Ray Lucas (or both) claiming that this was a sign that Rex had too much control over the draft probably reasoning that Rex loves corners, a corner was taken first, therefore Rex had a big part in the decision. This made no sense to me at the time, because I felt like this was such an obvious safe pick by the new GM, he just made a very controversial deal getting rid of the team's best player who also happened to be a corner back, and so Idzik took who was considered best CB in the draft with his first of two 1st round picks to shore up the secondary.

In my opinion, I don't think Rex has much of any control over the draft outside of ranking defensive players and giving his input on how certain defensive players in the draft would perform in his system.

NOW back to the original post,

Is 2014 the most important year? I don't see how really, it's not like our window is closing and each year keeping it open is super important to the success of the franchise. I do think however that it is the most promising year in a long time, we have a lot to look forward to in free agency, the draft, training camp, there won't be a lack of new faces and stories going into 2014.

Archived