WFAN: Rex/Jets working on an extension (update: through 2015)

Integrity28

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll go to my grave believing that was the final push.

It was,..and Im driving home today and have to hear that child moron Evan Roberts congratulate Manish on the Twitter poll....I wanted to drive my car through a wall.

It was,..and Im driving home today and have to hear that child moron Evan Roberts congratulate Manish on the Twitter poll....I wanted to drive my car through a wall.

He's on that list of guys I can't listen to. He's been on the air for almost ten years and has yet to say his first insightful or interesting thing. Completely vapid and boring.

Kinda dumb, are we gonna have another year of "Rex on the hot seat?"

it fits in with idziks "earn it" mantra, and keeps rexy on his toes.  you just can't let him be a lame duck

if he gets lots of new shiny offensive toys, and stinks it up, woody isn't on the hook for 3 years, only one

I'm not even sure how you'd know that information.

It's a long story but basically I have this thing called a television.  You know - it's that shiny box you stare at from your barstool.

Anyway, if you watch that magic box and *turn up the sound* you can actually hear people talking!  I know it's crazy, right?

So yeah...  I heard people talking about Tony Sparano a couple years ago and that's where I picked it up.

It's a long story but basically I have this thing called a television. You know - it's that shiny box you stare at from your barstool.

Anyway, if you watch that magic box and *turn up the sound* you can actually hear people talking! I know it's crazy, right?

So yeah... I heard people talking about Tony Sparano a couple years ago and that's where I picked it up.

You live in Rochester so I know you didn't see it in color.

This is great news.  And I am getting sick and tired of fans that are labeling other fans into groups (Pro \ Anti Rex).  There are too many personal attacks that are coming out of this stuff.

Idzik is doing a very good job.  Rex has proven that he isn't the best and he isn't the worst.  So they bring him back with a short extension and evaluate further.  This gives Geno continuity under the same offensive coordinator and gives the Jets a chance to head into this season without replacing all 3 coordinators like last year.

This is great news.  And I am getting sick and tired of fans that are labeling other fans into groups (Pro \ Anti Rex).  There are too many personal attacks that are coming out of this stuff.

Idzik is doing a very good job.  Rex has proven that he isn't the best and he isn't the worst.  So they bring him back with a short extension and evaluate further.  This gives Geno continuity under the same offensive coordinator and gives the Jets a chance to head into this season without replacing all 3 coordinators like last year.

Which would not be an issue if we had replaced the HC when we replaced the GM.  I don't feel the majority of posters are labeling one another.

Interesting stuff going on here. Seems the Jets are offering the one-year option, but no word that Rex has accepted as yet.

I heard last night the Jets offered the 1 year extension yesterday, but Rex, and his agent countered with 3 year extension, and neither was going to cave, and Rex would be coaching on a "Lame Duck Contract". Rex is one of those crazy confident dudes that thinks he will always succeed so this doesn't surprise me if true that he is more than willing to coach on the 1year deal, and if he is correct, and does something special next year he will get paid!

Which would not be an issue if we had replaced the HC when we replaced the GM.  I don't feel the majority of posters are labeling one another.

I agree it isn't the majority of fans that are labeling each other.  The minority is doing it plenty though and that is why I wrote that.

Back on topic, who did you want the Jets to hire last season as HC when Idzik took over as GM?

Interesting stuff going on here. Seems the Jets are offering the one-year option, but no word that Rex has accepted as yet.

Woody (and this is no surprise) really did remove any leverage.  Which would only cost him money in the end if he ends up firing Rex.  So in a way, I think that is kind of cool (anything that could cost Woody money is alright with me haha).

It's a long story but basically I have this thing called a television. You know - it's that shiny box you stare at from your barstool.

Anyway, if you watch that magic box and *turn up the sound* you can actually hear people talking! I know it's crazy, right?

So yeah... I heard people talking about Tony Sparano a couple years ago and that's where I picked it up.

Lol, when your not attacking me your pretty funny

I agree it isn't the majority of fans that are labeling each other.  The minority is doing it plenty though and that is why I wrote that.

Back on topic, who did you want the Jets to hire last season as HC when Idzik took over as GM?

Any candidate that is aware when his team is still in play-off contention. (Rex 2009).

Any candidate that can actually have his team show up the week after a big Win. (Rex 2010 AFC Title game-Present).

Any candidate that has even a basic understanding of clock mgmt and the use of the challege flag. (Rex 2009-Present).

Any candidate that would know when/why his # 1 WR has been pulled during a must win game. (Rex 2011).  

Any candidate not afraid to hold his players accountable.(Rex-Holmes-Sanchez).

Any candidate who doesn't tell me his defenses rushing yds allowed stat after a 23-6 loss.

The guys in Philly and KC would have been just fine.

One issue at a time.

Listen- Rex named Holmes a team captain. Nuff said.

My point is that Reid and Chip Kelly have been getting high praise; and rightfully so.....but even with hindsight as a guide, there's little reason to think Chip Kelly or Andy Reid would have had instant success here.

My point is that Reid and Chip Kelly have been getting high praise; and rightfully so.....but even with hindsight as a guide, there's little reason to think Chip Kelly or Andy Reid would have had instant success here.

There's little reason to think they'd accept the job here.

Kansas City had a loaded roster when Reid took that job... it was a true case of a team losing because of the coaching staff. 

Philly wasn't exactly a bare cupboard either. Both jobs were like when Rex took over the Jets, the coaches walked into a solid roster and provided the change of direction needed to push them into the playoffs... just like Rex did for us. 

Oh I agree w/you 80.  I just feel we have seen enough of Rex's flaws.

I love the guy. I even feel good for him on days like yesterday. I just don't think he is a HC.

Kansas City had a loaded roster when Reid took that job... it was a true case of a team losing because of the coaching staff. 

Philly wasn't exactly a bare cupboard either. Both jobs were like when Rex took over the Jets, the coaches walked into a solid roster and provided the change of direction needed to push them into the playoffs... just like Rex did for us. 

2009 was a miracle and our HC thought we were eliminated after week 15.

2010 he painted his masterpiece w/his defensive game plan against NE. Sadly he has done nada since.

2009 was a miracle and our HC thought we were eliminated after week 15.

2010 he painted his masterpiece w/his defensive game plan against NE. Sadly he has done nada since.

Nothing you just typed is relevant to the point I was making. Rex inherited a roster full of talent, just like Reid did in KC and Chip did in Philly. It's pretty cut and dry.

Any candidate that is aware when his team is still in play-off contention. (Rex 2009).

Any candidate that can actually have his team show up the week after a big Win. (Rex 2010 AFC Title game-Present).

Any candidate that has even a basic understanding of clock mgmt and the use of the challege flag. (Rex 2009-Present).

Any candidate that would know when/why his # 1 WR has been pulled during a must win game. (Rex 2011).  

Any candidate not afraid to hold his players accountable.(Rex-Holmes-Sanchez).

Any candidate who doesn't tell me his defenses rushing yds allowed stat after a 23-6 loss.

The guys in Philly and KC would have been just fine.

Obviously we lost both championship games, which sucked, but it's not as though we lost to scrub teams we were expected to clobber.  Absent scoring 0 points on our first 3 possessions, followed by a fumble-6 on the 4th possession, we might have even won the latter of those 2 games.  

But the fact remains that in both 09 and 10, the Jets started out as a wild-card team.  Making it to the title game means that the team did show up the week after a big win (beat the Chargers one year, and the Patriots the next).  And all of those games were on the road to boot.

So it therefore seems you got a HC who satisfied one of the criteria on your wish list. You're lucky. Some people never get what they want.

The guy in KC outbid us for Nnamdi Asomugha, and with less than 2 minutes left in the game, kept running his $60M RB in a game he was losing by 30 points.  Said RB, McCoy, got a major concussion and was out for a month.  Also odd you listed this HC whose team lost like 4 out of 5 conference championship games.  The one time they did make it to the SB, his team "didn't show up" to that game.  Or is it on the players when it's the Eagles and on the HC when it's the Jets?

Reid's got a plenty-long list of dumbass things he's done (and is still generally a good HC).  But this is what I mean about Jets fans glossing over enormous blunders and shortcomings with other teams' coaches as though they never happened.  

Rex has plenty of flaws just like other good (and successful) head coaches.

Archived