Florida St. Vs Auburn NCAA championship thread

faba

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Auburns special teams won it against Bama but lost it last night. a 100yd kick-off return and a short missed fg in a 3 point game. Winston looked lost most of the game, and they went to more of a run offense in the 2nd half.

2 guys colliding on the last drive reminded me of the Jets-Fins game #1 when Reed and Cro collided and allowed the big play.

kelvin Benjamin looked big and slow. No way he runs sub 4.5. Possible TE in the NFL?  He reminds me Marcedes Lewis or other tweener types. David Nelson? the fact that he's old (23) and a positional tweener means he won't even sniff the 1st rd. 2nd or 3rd is likely a stretch because of his age. JMO He's gonna be a 3rd day pick, at best. It also wouldn't surprise me to see him go undrafted. there's no compelling reason to use a draft pick on this player.  He's gonna have to run decent to get drafted and that looks questionable right now. on the other hand if he somehow runs a 4.4 he goes high and makes me a liar. it's all about how rare an athlete he is. 

He took an 8 yard hitch 60 yards with under a minute left. He's legit.

It was terrible defense.  He didnt do anything special on that particular play.

You guys are putting way too much stock into 1 game.  Just because Benji didnt put up gaudy numbers doesnt make him any less of a beast.  If you've watched FSU, Green is their possession guy.  He's almost always the frist option.  When they need a TD or a big play, they go to Benji or Shaw, mostly Benji.  Auburn had Winston reeling a bit.  He was confused and not getting a lot of time, so the routes they send Benji on, werent there. 

Still rather have Benji at the next level. 

The QB is only 20 years old and only played one year of college football- what do you want him to be perfect God like.

Of course not. But he isnt holy crap this kid is the next thing type of prospect either. Out of shape...and didnt make any NFL like throws last night.

kelvin Benjamin looked big and slow. No way he runs sub 4.5. Possible TE in the NFL?  He reminds me Marcedes Lewis or other tweener types. David Nelson? the fact that he's old (23) and a positional tweener means he won't even sniff the 1st rd. 2nd or 3rd is likely a stretch because of his age. JMO He's gonna be a 3rd day pick, at best. It also wouldn't surprise me to see him go undrafted. there's no compelling reason to use a draft pick on this player.  He's gonna have to run decent to get drafted and that looks questionable right now. on the other hand if he somehow runs a 4.4 he goes high and makes me a liar. it's all about how rare an athlete he is. 

There is literally zero chance of that.

There is literally zero chance of that.

I didn't say it was likely but it wouldn't be surprising. Every  year guys who people say are awesome go undrafted. One fact this forum ignores is that he's really old by draft standards. 3 years older than Sammy Watkins. If you factor in the time it takes college WR to learn how to be NFL WR, he's got a much lower ceiling than other prospects. and his 40 time should be snooze-worthy. 

I didn't say it was likely but it wouldn't be surprising. Every  year guys who people say are awesome go undrafted. One fact this forum ignores is that he's really old by draft standards. 3 years older than Sammy Watkins. If you factor in the time it takes college WR to learn how to be NFL WR, he's got a much lower ceiling than other prospects. and his 40 time should be snooze-worthy. 

Anquan Boldin has had a hell of a career without gamebreaking speed.   He just needs someone fast on the field with him.   

Anquan Boldin has had a hell of a career without gamebreaking speed.   He just needs someone fast on the field with him.   

Boldin's actually an awesome comparison. He was also old at 23 and also from Florida State. Boldin had way more production however.

Jameis Winston looks like he put on bad weight late in the season.  He would be well served to get in the gym and come back next year a little more lean.  I bet at his current size, he is more like a 4.8 guy rather than a sub 4.6 guy in the 40.  I like his attitude in a big spot, though.

Did you watch the game? Seriously. Winston didn't complete a pass over 10 yards in the air on the final possession. He sucked tonight. Greene was the MVP- but it's ESPN and Winston is better for tv.

100% agree. This was the first game I've focused on Greene and your boy was the best offensive player for Florida State hands down. Winston looked absolutely rattled all game and if it wasn't for Whitfield's monster return, the story would be how Jameis choked and might not be the prodigy everyone thought. 

Benjamin looked like he couldn't get any seperation, but also was able to body up some dbacks and make catches in traffic, whereas Greene just seemed to get separation at will and is extremely dynamic once the ball is in his hands. 

Also, I know Davis let up the big touch down to Benjamin, but he was pretty impressive as well.

100% agree. This was the first game I've focused on Greene and your boy was the best offensive player for Florida State hands down. Winston looked absolutely rattled all game and if it wasn't for Whitfield's monster return, the story would be how Jameis choked and might not be the prodigy everyone thought. 

Benjamin looked like he couldn't get any seperation, but also was able to body up some dbacks and make catches in traffic, whereas Greene just seemed to get separation at will and is extremely dynamic once the ball is in his hands. 

Also, I know Davis let up the big touch down to Benjamin, but he was pretty impressive as well.

The back isnt bad either.

I actually was impressed with Auburns big WR. They run a lot of gimmick passing stuff so I dont know how he was off the line or anything...but he's got the size/speed combo.

Auburns OT was a beast as well.

I've been saying all along, he's a 2nd or 3rd round pick because of the 40 time + age...but his play making ability is undeniable.  He's an incredible Red Zone threat and he's a physical WR who grabs the ball at its highest point.  He's getting drafted and some team will find him very useful.  I hope its the Jets.

Of course not. But he isnt holy crap this kid is the next thing type of prospect either. Out of shape...and didnt make any NFL like throws last night.

Agreed.    I was not impresses with the kid at all last night.   Basically every pass that was in the air more than 20 yards was woefully off target.   I think he actually almost put one of the airmailed balls into the stands.   

Boldin's actually an awesome comparison. He was also old at 23 and also from Florida State. Boldin had way more production however.

Not at all. 

In fact, its almost identical with Benji having one less year under his belt.

How pissed are you right now if you're the handful of people who bet Auburn to win back in August with 1800:1 odds and at the absolute last minute you not only lose, but lose to FSU and Jameis Winston. I would probably be questioning God

anyone who was smart enough to buy that ticket was hopefully smart enough to hedge last night (or even sooner in the season).

Think Plaxico is the best comparison as best case. 

What did Plax run?

I agree.  Great comparison.

Green showed me more wiggle at the line that I anticipated last night...but I'm still concerend about him at the next level.  I just dont see him beating physical corners.  Could be a nice slot guy though.  Dont see him a #1 or #2 to be honest.

The back isnt bad either.

I actually was impressed with Auburns big WR. They run a lot of gimmick passing stuff so I dont know how he was off the line or anything...but he's got the size/speed combo.

Auburns OT was a beast as well.

Yea, I like Sammie Coates a lot, he was the kid who called out his team last year as a freshman, for not working hard enough. Apparently he and a teammate were baptized this off-season and has become one if the offensive leaders. Seems like he has a ton of talent, but hard to tell in that offense.

Tre Mason is great, just because his dad is part of De La Soul.

anyone who was smart enough to buy that ticket was hopefully smart enough to hedge last night (or even sooner in the season).

I wouldn't necessarily use "smart" as the adjective to describe whomever bought that ticket. "Enthusiast" "degenerate" and "gambler" come to mind :)

I agree.  Great comparison.

Green showed me more wiggle at the line that I anticipated last night...but I'm still concerend about him at the next level.  I just dont see him beating physical corners.  Could be a nice slot guy though.  Dont see him a #1 or #2 to be honest.

Yeah I see him as a slot who may be able to play the outside. But slot guys are so important these days anyway. 

Yeah I see him as a slot who may be able to play the outside. But slot guys are so important these days anyway. 

No doubt.  He's worth a serious look.  He's been a baller since middle school...guy can play...just wouldnt bank on him playing on the outside effectively.

I've been saying all along, he's a 2nd or 3rd round pick because of the 40 time + age...but his play making ability is undeniable.  He's an incredible Red Zone threat and he's a physical WR who grabs the ball at its highest point.  He's getting drafted and some team will find him very useful.  I hope its the Jets.

I'll enthusiastically +1 this. 

15 TDs is 15 TDs, and that game winning TD reception was pretty much level with the crossbar of the field goal post, meaning the kid is catching these balls at ten feet plus.  From my perspective he could have caught that ball a foot higher. 

Having someone who can catch a ball 11 feet in the air is a huge benefit in the redzone.  Considering we signed a thug turd specifically for this role, I wouldn't rule out drafting a kid regardless of his age. 

I'll enthusiastically +1 this. 

15 TDs is 15 TDs, and that game winning TD reception was pretty much level with the crossbar of the field goal post, meaning the kid is catching these balls at ten feet plus.  From my perspective he could have caught that ball a foot higher. 

Having someone who can catch a ball 11 feet in the air is a huge benefit in the redzone.  Considering we signed a thug turd specifically for this role, I wouldn't rule out drafting a kid regardless of his age. 

This is all you need to know about the dude:

FSUcatch_medium.gif

Archived