Kelvin Benjamin declares for draft

CobraVerde

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we collaborated on it, right? It was a great comparison.  plexico, marcedes lewis are also good ones. Here's another one, David nelson they already have the slow tall RZ target. This team needs exploders. 

Agreed. We need WR's like Austin that Geno can't overthrow. If that is even possible.

we collaborated on it, right? It was a great comparison.  plexico, marcedes lewis are also good ones. Here's another one, David nelson they already have the slow tall RZ target. This team needs exploders. 

Like Thunder and Lightning? I agree. Because if he runs it out of the building combine/pro day and gets in the first round discussion, then he becomes extremely risky at 18. B/c the speed/agility wasn't really shown throughout the season.  I'm even slightly weary of Evans for the same reason. Is he too big? 

Like Thunder and Lightning? I agree. Because if he runs it out of the building combine/pro day and gets in the first round discussion, then he becomes extremely risky at 18. B/c the speed/agility wasn't really shown throughout the season.  I'm even slightly weary of Evans for the same reason. Is he too big?

No.  He's one of two reasons Manziel is being talked about as a top-five guy. 

Mike Evans is a safety-valve extraordinaire. He's Benjamin's mitts with separation skills, and situational awareness.

No.  He's one of two reasons Manziel is being talked about as a top-five guy. 

Mike Evans is a safety-valve extraordinaire. He's Benjamin's mitts with separation skills, and situational awareness.

I'm just hedging bets. On all the WRs we obviously have to see how they all run. Evans is just a better WR than Benjamin, at least at this point. He's even more physical and really uses his body and strength not only going up for the ball but in his cuts too. So really let's see how he runs and see if he can keep that kind of physicality in the NFL. 

At 6'5, is he Calvin Johnson 4.3, AJ Green 4.4 (although 6'4), Fitzgerald 4.6 (although LF is 6'3)...or is he a Mike Williams 4.5...Agility drills will be

important.

I don't think he'll be Calvin Johnson fast but I think he does come close to Larry Fitzgerald's body control...but nobody comes close to his hands... but Evans has good ones.

If he's 4.4 he's gone top 10. If he's 4.6 do you still take him at 18?  What about 4.7?

Like Thunder and Lightning? I agree. Because if he runs it out of the building combine/pro day and gets in the first round discussion, then he becomes extremely risky at 18. B/c the speed/agility wasn't really shown throughout the season. I'm even slightly weary of Evans for the same reason. Is he too big?

Evans is probably the best WR we'd have a shot at at 18. If he's gone hopefully they go for the best TE on the board then go for Benji.

No way Evans runs a 4.4 though. Lee might, if he's fully healthy, but Watkins is on another level, no?

my guess is most teams probably have him ranked first but I don't think it's unanimous. It will come down to workouts IMO, one of the big three will drop and one of the second or third tier will quickly rise.

I'm even slightly weary of Evans for the same reason. Is he too big? 

Mike Evans is the type of player everyone loves during football season but will run mediocre times and won't be worth high first round value when it's all said and done. Not to say he's a bad player just not high first round value. the draft is in May this year it's so far away no one will even remember the football. 

my guess is most teams probably have him ranked first but I don't think it's unanimous. It will come down to workouts IMO, one of the big three will drop and one of the second or third tier will quickly rise.

I have this feeling that DeAnthony Thomas gets himself into the first round.

agree but Lee is from USC. How is Idzik gonna to that well after Tanny took a dump in it with Sanchez, McKnight etc 

I dont know what tanny's decisions with Sanchez and McKnight have to do with Idzik picking up the best talent available. I dont even believe Benjamin is going in the first round. If he slipped out of the 2nd round I wouldnt be surprised. If we got him with that Tampa pick at the top of the 3rd then I'd mos def tell Idzik to pull the trigger (unless we double dipped in the first two rounds on WR's). Not trying to show you up of course, its just my opinion. I like Benjamin's size, but we can get that size elsewhere too. 

Stephen Hill can do all those things, but he can't catch or run routes.

I'd like a WR that can do THOSE things.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2013/

In a season that he was injured most of the year after a good start Hill had 1 dropped pass this year.

Holmes had 4......Powell had 4..... Gates had 3....... Ivory had 3....... Nelson had 2.....

In a season that he was injured most of the year after a good start Hill had 1 dropped pass this year.

Holmes had 4......Powell had 4..... Gates had 3....... Ivory had 3....... Nelson had 2.....

Yep.

I don't think you give up on a two year project in year two. I hope they draft at least one and sign at least one with Hill still on the roster next year.

Maybe carry 6 with draft/FA, draft/FA, Kerely, Nelson, Hill, draft/FA

Even if it's just to stretch the field vertically Hill still adds value.

Yep.

I don't think you give up on a two year project in year two. I hope they draft at least one and sign at least one with Hill still on the roster next year.

Maybe carry 6 with draft/FA, draft/FA, Kerely, Nelson, Hill, draft/FA

Even if it's just to stretch the field vertically Hill still adds value.

Hill will make it to training camp next year. Kerley is probably the only lock. Nelson is close. Otherwise it'll be pretty wide open. If the Jets bring in a free agent and a couple draft picks (like I hope), he's gonna struggle to make the team.

I'm not part of that "give up on Stephen Hill" crowd.

I was just pointing out the irony that EVERYTHING joewillie78 praised about Kelvin Benjamin echoes the things everyone drooled over about Hill. Everyone seems to forget that route running and catching the ball away from your body are probably the more relevant signs that a WR can play in the NFL.

I think Hill eventually produces for us, not at a superstar level, but in a reliable, productive way... he needs more time in the NFL (as most WRs need 3 years minimum) and he needs better players around him. It's very easy for defenses to take a green player like him out of the game, when there aren't any other threats on the field.

I was just pointing out the irony that EVERYTHING joewillie78 praised about Kelvin Benjamin echoes the things everyone drooled over about Hill. Everyone seems to forget that route running and catching the ball away from your body are probably the more relevant signs that a WR can play in the NFL.

I think Hill eventually produces for us, not at a superstar level, but in a reliable, productive way... he needs more time in the NFL (as most WRs need 3 years minimum) and he needs better players around him. It's very easy for defenses to take a green player like him out of the game, when there aren't

any other threats on the field.

This...if Hill improves all around, he can be a good 2a -3 option...not to mention, one thing that rarely gets mentioned...he is a pretty good run blocker. Which in its self, has value.

I think Hill eventually produces for us, not at a superstar level, but in a reliable, productive way... he needs more time in the NFL (as most WRs need 3 years minimum) and he needs better players around him. It's very easy for defenses to take a green player like him out of the game, when there aren't any other threats on the field.

This I agree with.

It just gets tiresome continually reading that Hill sucks, cut him.  (he might but he has improved)   "he dropped 20 balls this year", when he dropped only one this year, and 2 last year.  The problem with Hill's drops is, he occasionally beats a CB deep, because of his speed, then drops what would be a TD.  People remember that.

If he can learn how to get some separation on a regular basis, and beat people deep, I'm good with him dropping the occasional ball.  The kid seems to be a hard worker, i think he'll learn and be a valuable player. 

The more time goes by the more I have the feeling the Jets end up with Amaro/Ebron in round 1 and then in the later rounds get guys like Kelvin Benjamin. Which can be a pretty decent plan. Still hoping and praying that we get 1 of the big 3 receivers. Watkins/Evans/Lee .. One of them please fall !! I know the receiver crop is pretty deep this year but outside of Ebron and Amaro how well is the TE crop this year ?

Lets see what kind of time he runs. The fact that he couldn't get separation against Auburns DB's makes me think the will struggle in the NFL. I would rather have the other FSU WR Greene at this point.

Green was the best WR on FSU the past few seasons.  Benjamin just seems to get all the hype.   Even in the Championship game plenty of people were all over Benjamin winning the game, but the reality is, if it weren't for Green, they probably aren't even in that game.   I think he needs somebody else to be the #1 WR, and Green was pretty much the #1 WR kind of guy for two seasons,  and he'll be able to make some nice first downs, nice TDs and so on.  But if you have to depend on him to be "the guy" and do it against NFL quality players and not the best Duke has to offer( and they were one of the better ACC teams) he's going to be a disappointment.   A huge disappointment if taken in the first round.

This proves nothing.

Yeah because Sheldon Richardson scored two TDs and The Fridge scored a TD in the super bowl so those guys should get the nod over Walter Payton as a RB.   He caught a ball thrown to him.   It was a nice catch to win the game, but it wasn't like some miraculous catch.  It's pretty much assumed that he should make that catch against weaker smaller players.  Lets not make Auburn out to be some great defense.  They had a good game, but they weren't known for their defense.

• 3 weeks later...

I see you are not a Benjamin fan, but for those who are and want to see the jets select him, be prepared to up that #18 pick. this dude will not make it to the 2nd round. no way ,no how

24 years old, probably going to run in the 4.5-4.6 range...sounds like a 2nd round pick to me.

I'm just hedging bets. On all the WRs we obviously have to see how they all run. Evans is just a better WR than Benjamin, at least at this point. He's even more physical and really uses his body and strength not only going up for the ball but in his cuts too. So really let's see how he runs and see if he can keep that kind of physicality in the NFL. 

At 6'5, is he Calvin Johnson 4.3, AJ Green 4.4 (although 6'4), Fitzgerald 4.6 (although LF is 6'3)...or is he a Mike Williams 4.5...Agility drills will be

important.

I don't think he'll be Calvin Johnson fast but I think he does come close to Larry Fitzgerald's body control...but nobody comes close to his hands... but Evans has good ones.

If he's 4.4 he's gone top 10. If he's 4.6 do you still take him at 18?  What about 4.7?

I keep reading about Fitzgerald's alleged 4.63, but I don't think he EVER ran that slow.  As far as I can tell he elected not to run at the combine and ran a 4.47 at his pro day.  One stupid unsubstantiated website lists him at 4.63 and now it is gospel along with Rice's 4.71 which I have heard was a 4.59.  Most people listed Fitzgerald around a 4.53 coming out.  

I see you are not a Benjamin fan, but for those who are and want to see the jets select him, be prepared to up that #18 pick. this dude will not make it to the 2nd round. no way ,no how

I'm not saying this arrogantly but I'd play those odds and put down $50 he doesn't go I the first round.

I keep reading about Fitzgerald's alleged 4.63, but I don't think he EVER ran that slow. As far as I can tell he elected not to run at the combine and ran a 4.47 at his pro day. One stupid unsubstantiated website lists him at 4.63 and now it is gospel along with Rice's 4.71 which I have heard was a 4.59. Most people listed Fitzgerald around a 4.53 coming out.

Honestly, I'm using the same internet sources as u so who knows for sure. It was a long time ago but I thought LF ran the slow combine then 4.47'd his pro day. ?. Interestingly a lot of guys do that and it gets mixed up as it turns into lore.

Honestly, I'm using the same internet sources as u so who knows for sure. It was a long time ago but I thought LF ran the slow combine then 4.47'd his pro day. ?. Interestingly a lot of guys do that and it gets mixed up as it turns into lore.

I know.  It's just a pet peeve of mine.  The workout warrior bullsh*t is out of control.  When Patrick WIllis blasted a 4.37 at his pro day I knew he would be a bigger beast than expected, but hey "workout warrior."  The Niners and Seahawks are filled with freak athletes, not overachieving guys with "field speed"

Archived