Pete Carroll: "Sanchez Will Be Better Then Ever"

flgreen

Pete says Sanchez will be 'better than ever'

January, 28, 2014

JAN 28

3:50

PM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

NEWARK, N.J. -- Mark Sanchez didn't receive Pete Carroll's blessing when he left USC as an underclassman, but he received an endorsement Tuesday from his old college coach.

The Seattle Seahawks' coach, speaking at Super Bowl XLVIII media day, believes the New York Jets' former starting quarterback can rebound from his 2013 washout and become a productive player again in the league.

"Mark has eveything ahead of him," Carroll said. "As often happens when you get the break, when you get to take a step back and observe and analyze and assess what's going on, you come back even stronger. I think that's what will happen with Mark. Hopefully, for him, it'll happen in New York. Wherever he winds up after that, if that doesn't work out, Mark is a good football player. I think he'll be better than ever."

Maybe Carroll and Sanchez will be reunited. Hey, you never know.

Sanchez, who missed the entire season because of surgery on his throwing shoulder, faces an uncertain future with the Jets, especially with Geno Smith's encouraging finish. Sanchez is under contract through 2016, but his current salary-cap charge ($13.1 million) is prohibitive. They may try to trade him before March 25, when a $2 million roster bonus is due. Failing that, they probably would release him. They'd clear $8.3 million in cap room by parting ways. Sanchez has said he'd like to return, but he'd have to take a significent pay cut -- and he may not be willing to do that, forcing the Jets' hand.

Carroll could be looking for a quarterback because his backup, Tarvaris Jackson, will be a free agent. Carroll is a longtime admirer of Sanchez, but he was publicly critical of Sanchez's decision to turn pro after the 2008 season.

Yea there is I was surprised when I was there for 6 monthes. I know there was a lot of Asians but not Mexicans. That's a long ass swim.

Seattle needs a backup maybe they'll trade a 7th rounder for him.

They'd have to send that pick before March, when Sanchez gets cut.

Long swin and the water is cold. #Ambition

Has any USC QB ever done well in the NFL?

Done well? NO

Average: 1 Palmer

Bad: 5

Haden

Peete

Leinert

Cassell

Johnson

Awful:2

Marinovich

Sanchez

Any GM that even looks at a QB from that school, should immediately be helping Tanny sell sports memorabilia, and if you scar your body with the number of the QB who came from USC and ruined your franchise, you should be committed.

Done well? NOAverage: 1 PalmerBad: 5HadenPeeteLeinertCassellJohnsonAwful:2MarinovichSanchezAny GM that even looks at a QB from that school, should immediately be helping Tanny sell sports memorabilia, and if you scar your body with the number of the QB who came from USC and ruined your franchise, you should be committed.

Holy **** is that list bad

:face:

If Kyle Wilson was half as bad as some on here think he is he would have been cut two years ago. 

You guys are all judging Kyle Wilson for not being Darrelle Revis. Kyle Wilson is Ray Mickens - a way above average nickel corner.

your comparing Kyle Wilson to Ray Mickens ??? Really ? Ray Mickens was one of the best if not the best nickel back in the league when he played how in the hell does Kyle Wilson fit in that category ? I think Wilson is better than most here think but your going just a bit too high in your evaluation

your comparing Kyle Wilson to Ray Mickens ??? Really ? Ray Mickens was one of the best if not the best nickel back in the league when he played how in the hell does Kyle Wilson fit in that category ? I think Wilson is better than most here think but your going just a bit too high in your evaluation

Actually, according to PFF Wilson has consistently graded out among the best nickel corners in the league for the last three years. As a starter in 2013. he was 19th best in the entire league at allowing first downs and TDs only allowing 27 on 511 snaps. 

The problem with grading a Kyle Wilson is that almost every year of his career he has had at least one guy on his own team who was significantly better than him. So to the average fan he will look like the weak link. When in reality, he's so much better than most Jets fans think it friggin' insane. 

Archived