Jairus Byrd vs. Greg Hardy vs. Brian Orakpo

SenorGato

Which of these three - arguably the top 3 FAs after Graham - would you most like to see the Jets pursue relentlessly before losing him to the Vikings or Redskins? 

Orakpo is the oldest, but he plays the DE/OLB position very well and brings edge pass rushing ability no one on the D has. 12 million?

Hardy has never played LB before, but he's 2-3 years younger than Orakpo while being a similarly successful pass rusher. He plays the run better as well, though here that is less of an issue. He's deflected 15 passes in his career including 11 in 2011, so there's competence in making non-sack plays against the pass. 12 million? 

Byrd fills another major need - a turnover creating, ballhawking safety. He's probably the best safety in football right now while neither of the two above are that at their positions. He's the same age as Hardy - 26 - so there's also that. 9-10 million?

Pass rusher or a safety who plays outside of the box at an elite level? 

What of DeMarcus Ware? 

Which of these three - arguably the top 3 FAs after Graham - would you most like to see the Jets pursue relentlessly before losing him to the Vikings or Redskins? 

Orakpo is the oldest, but he plays the DE/OLB position very well and brings edge pass rushing ability no one on the D has. 12 million?

Hardy has never played LB before, but he's 2-3 years younger than Orakpo while being a similarly successful pass rusher. He plays the run better as well, though here that is less of an issue. He's deflected 15 passes in his career including 11 in 2011, so there's competence in making non-sack plays against the pass. 12 million? 

Byrd fills another major need - a turnover creating, ballhawking safety. He's probably the best safety in football right now while neither of the two above are that at their positions. He's the same age as Hardy - 26 - so there's also that. 9-10 million?

Pass rusher or a safety who plays outside of the box at an elite level? 

What of DeMarcus Ware? 

I highly doubt Graham hitting FA. With that said, 

I say we should get two out of the three. Greg Hardy and Jarius Bird. Can you believe Hardy was drafted in the f'ing 6th round? Why cant the jets ever get a guy like that? 

I say we should get two out of the three. Greg Hardy and Jarius Bird. Can you believe Hardy was drafted in the f'ing 6th round? Why cant the jets ever get a guy like that? 

danny woodhead

Big Snacks wasn't even drafted.

Orakpo is actually something the Jets need to be realistic about because it's evident that the only way we're ever doing anything with Rex is when the defense is playing at '09 levels of awesome.

Yeah, but we already know that what we really need for that is the CB1, which is what we had for four years when the pass defense was great and what was missing last year when it regressed. I really don't see Milliner as being at a point where that's not the overriding issue on defense.

Also, Johnson over Orakpo and Hardy.

Yeah, but we already know that what we really need for that is the CB1, which is what we had for four years when the pass defense was great and what was missing last year when it regressed. I really don't see Milliner as being at a point where that's not the overriding issue on defense.

Also, Johnson over Orakpo and Hardy.

So Vontae?

absolutely think the world of greg hardy but it's alot of money to pay a guy who's not really a linebacker. Of these three players he's probably my personal favorite to do great things and be worth the money. but he's not really a fit here on a Jets team where Calvin Pace got 10 sacks on a min deal (and could do it again) 

Bryd is the most realistic and reasonable. Don't think Idzik is in a position to give Hardy $12-13 mil to experiment at OLB. As for Orapko, I think his best days are behind him. Will still be productive in getting 8-12 sacks but don't think the risk is worth the reward in giving a similar contract. As for Bryd, he's amoungst the best in the game and still fairly young. He as well may break the bank at $8 mil but I just have faith in him being worth it throughout the life of his contract.

absolutely think the world of greg hardy but it's alot of money to pay a guy who's not really a linebacker. Of these three players he's probably my personal favorite to do great things and be worth the money. but he's not really a fit here on a Jets team where Calvin Pace got 10 sacks on a min deal (and could do it again) 

That's my thinking as well on Hardy - on paper the "hasn't played LBer" thing is the only thing that keeps him from being a perfect fit. That we both like him is probably a sign.

The most obvious fit is Byrd simply because the defense needs a safety and he plays safety. OTOH an outside pass rushing threat on the DL arguably/probably does more, no?  

Archived