The New NFL Combine Thread. The other one dissolved

eboozer

That was that one article that tracked where everyone caught the ball and their drop rate etc. It stipulated that the reason for Cooks' low YAC was the type of responsibility that he had in Oregon State's offense and that wasn't an indication of his ability. He's an exceptional YAC guy.

This is true. I misremembered that article.

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

dude, did you ever play pro ball ?  if not, get outta here with that crap

Just being honest. If you've been lifting for years in a D1 football program, and you can't bench at least 140kg, you're probably a slacker and/or you don't have a strict diet.

Let me guess, unless you have the natural ability to do that, you can't train to get that strong? 

These guys have access to some of the top S&C coaches in the country, yet they come out and can get only like 15 reps of 100kg bench. That's TERRIBLE. 

Just being honest. If you've been lifting for years in a D1 football program, and you can't bench at least 140kg, you're probably a slacker and/or you don't have a strict diet.

Let me guess, unless you have the natural ability to do that, you can't train to get that strong? 

These guys have access to some of the top S&C coaches in the country, yet they come out and can get only like 15 reps of 100kg bench. That's TERRIBLE. 

me ?  dude, you can't touch me

Dude, I want to believe you so bad. Please post a video of yourself doing some combine drills. It would change my life seeing what an Adonis you've become since HS and give me hope for my future pro career. Giving hope is what phys ed is all about.

Well, considering I'm not playing at the moment (transferred), I have no reason to do combine drills. But I'll bring your homo-erotic fantasies to life with an old teaser pic:

snapshot.jpg

Not terrible, just bench press isn't functional for the majority of these non-line players.  They focus on resistance-training, plyos etc. Not to mention when you're 6'3 with 33 inch arms, it's a little more difficult to bench than say some 5'10 linebacker with a 40 inch chest.  

Let's be honest, you've never been in D1 facility in your life. <3 you. 

Not terrible, just bench press isn't functional for the majority of these non-line players.  They focus on resistance-training, plyos etc. Not to mention when you're 6'3 with 33 inch arms, it's a little more difficult to bench than say some 5'10 linebacker with a 40 inch chest.  

40 inch chest? What? A 40 inch chest is VERY small. I think you mean 50.

Anyways, I know it's not really "functional", which is why I think the OHP is a MUCH better test.

That's a good comparison (Moss). What you read on Cooks is that he doesn't have the RAC ability of Austin.

RAC? I don't even know where the Austin comparison come from as he's a guy who lacks the height or size to line up on the outside. Also can't caught in traffic along with having small hands. Also he's one of the most elusive prospect we seen coming out which doesn't add up to Cook.

RAC? I don't even know where the Austin comparison come from as he's a guy who lacks the height or size to line up on the outside. Also can't caught in traffic along with having small hands. Also he's one of the most elusive prospect we seen coming out which doesn't add up to Cook.

Right, you're taking about primarily a slot guy who made most of his living on bubble screens and finding soft spots in zones vs. a guy who's arguable one of the best route runners in the draft. 

Decent article from Kiper.

Next Steve Smith for Carolina Panthers? Could be Brandin Cooks

ESPN draft guru Mel Kiper Jr. called diminutive, but explosive Oregon State receiver Brandin Cooks the next Steve Smith, and believes the Carolina Panthers will take Cooks with the 28th pick in the draft.

Besides looking for a successor to Smith, 34, the Panthers also need to find the next Jordan Gross, the 33-year-old left tackle whose future remains up in the air.

The good news for the Panthers: Kiper said there is quality depth at receiver and offensive tackle if the Panthers choose to address either position late in the first round or later in the draft.

Kiper conducted his first media teleconference Thursday – more than three months before the May 8-10 draft, which was pushed from April to May because of a scheduling conflict at Radio City Music Hall in New York.

Kiper is high on Cooks, who left Oregon State with a year of eligibility remaining after winning the Biletnikoff Award, given annually to the nation’s top receiver. Cooks set a PAC-12 single-season record with 128 catches last season. His 1,730 receiving yards also set a PAC-12 record and were the most in the NCAA.

Cooks is listed at 5-10 and 186 pounds, although his official height might be an inch or so shorter when he’s measured at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis this month. Cooks’ speed and acceleration after the catch could make him a dangerous slot receiver in the NFL.

“I think Brandin Cooks is going to end up somewhere in Round 1,” Kiper said. “He doesn’t have tremendous size. But he’s a heck of a football player.”

The Panthers were among the NFL’s least explosive offenses in 2013. They had 23 pass plays of at least 25 yards, more than only Atlanta (22) and Tampa Bay (20).

Smith saw his yards-per-catch average drop nearly 5 yards from 2012, and he turns 35 in May. The Panthers’ other top three wideouts – Brandon LaFell, Ted Ginn Jr. and Domenik Hixon – all are free agents.

Kiper pointed to Oregon’s Josh Huff and Vanderbilt’s Jordan Matthews as two receivers who improved their draft status with strong showings during the Senior Bowl practices. Kiper thinks Matthews could be available in the second round, and sees Huff as a third- or fourth-rounder.

With an influx of talented junior receivers, Kiper believes there will be value in the middle rounds.

“I think the receiving depth this year, because of the juniors, will take you into the third or fourth round,” Kiper said.

Penn State junior Allen Robinson is projected as a late first-, early-second-rounder. But Kiper mentioned several other juniors who could pay dividends in later rounds, including Colorado’s Paul Richardson, Indiana’s Cody Latimer and a pair of wideouts from the Carolinas – South Carolina’s Bruce Ellington and Clemson’s Martavis Bryant.

Kiper referred to the 6-4, 200-pound Bryant as “the other receiver at Clemson.” Bryant caught 42 passes for 828 yards and seven touchdowns last season playing alongside Sammy Watkins, Kiper’s top-ranked receiver.

Besides receiver, the Panthers also have a clear need at tackle.

Gross’ contract automatically voids Friday, making him a free agent. Gross has said he would only play for the Panthers, but is considering retirement.

If Gross decides to step down, the Panthers could move right tackle Byron Bell to the left side, draft a tackle, sign a couple of free agent tackles or some combination of all three.

Kiper believes six tackles will go in the first round, including three among the top 9-11 picks – Texas A&M’s Jake Matthews, Auburn’s Greg Robinson and Michigan’s Taylor Lewan.

Kiper said Virginia’s Morgan Moses (6-6, 325 pounds) and Tennessee’s Antonio Richardson (6-6, 327) – both of whom could move from left to right tackle in the NFL – could be Panthers targets at No. 28.

“Whether it’s Moses, whether it’s Richardson, you have certainly players in the mix,” Kiper said. “Or you could wait until the second round and look at a right tackle like Jack Mewhort from Ohio State, who’s a prospect that figures to go at that point.”

Another intriguing right tackle prospect is Ja’Wuan James, the 6-6, 315-pounder who played opposite Richardson at Tennessee.

“Right tackle is as critical now in the whole process – it’s not as critical as left tackle – but it’s awful close,” Kiper said. “Because you’re throwing the football so, so much in the NFL.”

That was that one article that tracked where everyone caught the ball and their drop rate etc. It stipulated that the reason for Cooks' low YAC was the type of responsibility that he had in Oregon State's offense and that wasn't an indication of his ability. He's an exceptional YAC guy.

Oh, he meant YAC. But he wasn't one to get much bubble screens his way to inflate his YAC. I seen his get a handful of jailbreaks (middle screens) but for the most part he's running vertices routes. If the defender can't make a play on the ball he's be satisfied with just tackling the WRs. I have no problem with my receiver catching a 30 yard pass over a defender and not being able to keep his base on the way down rather then catching a slant and running 3 more yards to increase his YAC. I'm also assuming your referring to YAC per catch as in those 1,800 yards I'm pretty sure there's a lot of YAC in there.

Who cares about arms? You can't get 24 inches at a low BF% being natty. It's just not gonna happen. But a 40 inch chest is really small, assuming you're not 120 pounds soaking wet.

I was being hyperbolic about a 40 inch chest AP diameter, not circumference.  The point is that these WRs are not benching for the majority of their workouts and being that you've been in a D1 training room, like myself, you would know that's one of the last things these guys focus on. 

@Hess

I think Steve Smith would be another player who Cooks fits in the mold of but Austin is a horrible comparison unless you have short term memory and can only revert to prospects of the past few combines.

Yep, I never compared him fwiw. I was only making a point, a lot of people were sh*tting on Cooks at 18 b/c of his size. Yet he's bigger, faster and more polished than the guy that went 8, whom everybody wanted, last year. 

@Hess

I think Steve Smith would be another player who Cooks fits in the mold of but Austin is a horrible comparison unless you have short term memory and can only revert to prospects of the past few combines.

Hess hasn't nor isn't comparing Cooks to Austin as far as style, he's just showing how hypocritical posters are being in knocking Cooks' size.  Ie. Everyone wanted Austin at 9 last year, yet were complaining about Cooks' size at 18. 

Yep, I never compared him fwiw. I was only making a point, a lot of people were sh*tting on Cooks at 18 b/c of his size. Yet he's bigger, faster and more polished than the guy that went 8, whom everybody wanted, last year. 

I wanted Austin last year, and would gladly take Cooks at 18.

Hess hasn't nor isn't comparing Cooks to Austin as far as style, he's just showing how hypocritical posters are being in knocking Cooks' size.  Ie. Everyone wanted Austin at 9 last year, yet were complaining about Cooks' size at 18. 

I think part of that is and is for me Oregon ST is not a real known quantity in college football- You will not see them on national tv- less recognition of their players

I'm completely aware of that as I'm just adding on to your displeasure of the comparison. What, did I just use displeasure?

Archived