Official NFL Free Agency Transactions Thread

JoeC36

Look at what the Raiders did--Tuck, Woodley, James Jones, etc--is that really what you wanted the Jets to do?

The fallacy is that teams can only do 2 things: spend recklessly like the Raiders, or do nothing at all like Idzik. I'm pretty sure there's something in between.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've upgraded at WR, that is true.  Having the third youngest team in the league, I fully expect a majority of the players to take a big jump, which is not an unreasonable expectation.  More likely than not, we'll be rolling with Cro or another veteran in that 2nd CB spot, which will give you your veteran presence.  

This season is going to go how Geno Smith goes, which is not hinged on CB play. If he sucks, I'd just assume not have $9 million per year locked up in a 2nd CB and wait for those types of moves when we're sure he's the real deal or not.  If I were to spend big on FA it would have been to surround Geno with the players to succeed and evaluate him, getting Rex another CB was at the bottom of my list.  I love Rex, but if he wants to lay claim to being a defensive genius, he can suffice without two #1 CBs.

I'd add to that the OL which has been neglected for the most part in FA. Howard gone, Winters trying to make headway in yr. 2, Colon, I guess, will be re-signed...

A LOT of things have to go right to get to 8-8 again. No way we improve on that the way this roster is comprised. Harder schedule awaits us next yr IMO

I'd add to that the OL which has been neglected for the most part in FA. Howard gone, Winters trying to make headway in yr. 2, Colon, I guess, will be re-signed...

A LOT of things have to go right to get to 8-8 again. No way we improve on that the way this roster is comprised. Harder schedule awaits us next yr IMO

Winters was not going to be replaced in free agency, if there was going to be any moves made on the interior, it would have been to replace Colon. They seemed to miss on Shwartz and will most likely reup with Colon. Our RT is a wash.  With a year under his belt, no off-season surgery to keep him from the weight room, Winters should show improved play.  I doubt we see any worse play from the oline, but the biggest benefit is going to come from a confident and decisive Geno Smith at the line.  If he improves, the whole team improves. If he sucks, it doesn't matter how many CBs or Safeties we sign.

Winters was not going to be replaced in free agency, if there was going to be any moves made on the interior, it would have been to replace Colon. They seemed to miss on Shwartz and will most likely reup with Colon. Our RT is a wash.  With a year under his belt, no off-season surgery to keep him from the weight room, Winters should show improved play.  I doubt we see any worse play from the oline, but the biggest benefit is going to come from a confident and decisive Geno Smith at the line.  If he improves, the whole team improves. If he sucks, it doesn't matter how many CBs or Safeties we sign.

Or better play.

Giants signed Trindon Holliday and are going to sign Mario Manningham lol

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter · 23m

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Walter Thurmond, Trindon Holliday in past 24 hours. Giants acting like they know the pressure is on...

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Panthers and Seahawks are also interested in free agent Kenny Britt.

Britt is one of the top receivers left on the free-agent market, and, if healthy, he's easily the most talented of the bunch. Britt has visited the Rams and Patriots but left each team without a contract and is now on his way to talk to the Redskins. If Britt wants to be a No. 1, going to Carolina could significantly rehab his value.

The New York Jets should just announce they are not in the market to sign anymore players this free agency period. Thank you Woody Johnson and John Idzik.

Lateral moves, while increasing your cap space is a positive move. Knowing how self-admittedly poor you are with money, I'm not sure you'll understand that.  

How have we gotten worse? By losing the single-worst starting player from our secondary, who was one of the bottom 5 ranked CBs in the entire NFL? That's how we got worse?  Or by losing Ed Reed? Please, enlighten me, how exactly have we gotten worse?

We've upgraded at WR, that is true.  Having the third youngest team in the league, I fully expect a majority of the players to take a big jump, which is not an unreasonable expectation.  More likely than not, we'll be rolling with Cro or another veteran in that 2nd CB spot, which will give you your veteran presence.  

This season is going to go how Geno Smith goes, which is not hinged on CB play. If he sucks, I'd just assume not have $9 million per year locked up in a 2nd CB and wait for those types of moves when we're sure he's the real deal or not.  If I were to spend big on FA it would have been to surround Geno with the players to succeed and evaluate him, getting Rex another CB was at the bottom of my list.  I love Rex, but if he wants to lay claim to being a defensive genius, he can suffice without two #1 CBs.

losing the bottom 5 ranked cb is now your fixit plan?

by the way, this was my first double quote. just figured it out. I am stoked

losing the bottom 5 ranked cb is now your fixit plan?

by the way, this was my first double quote. just figured it out. I am stoked

Haha well done. It's not, nor ever has been my 'fixit plan,' it was a response that laid out the moves our secondary has made.  Stoic and others have stated that our secondary has been irreparably damaged when literally the only changes have been the loss of Cromartie, a bottom 5 CB, and an aging Ed Reed.  Not signing UFAs that were never on our team, doesn't change the makeup of our team.  So yes, unless our replacement is one of the 4 worst CBs next year, it's most likely not going to be worse. I don't see how that's so hard to grasp. I don't see how losing someone who is more than easily replaced is so devastating.  What's happening is that anger over not signing free agents is somehow being transferred to believing our secondary is doomed.

I guess this means our WR corps will be awesome this year. Not necessarily because we got Decker, but because we lost Holmes. Wooohoo!!

Your snarky, passive-aggressive response aside, losing Holmes is assuredly a positive move.  You do not develop a QB, whether it's Geno or not, with a wide receiver who is okay with losing so long as he gets his five catches per.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet · 6m

True RT @adbrandt: Am told Jets wanted a "prove it" deal for DRC: $6M this year with options after. Offer didn't match zeal of recruiting

Nice. What the heck was the point of bringing him in?

True RT @adbrandt: Am told Jets wanted a "prove it" deal for DRC: $6M this year with options after. Offer didn't match zeal of recruiting

Reminds me of Sandy Alderson. And you see how far that's gotten the Mets... sigh...

Your snarky, passive-aggressive response aside, losing Holmes is assuredly a positive move.  You do not develop a QB, whether it's Geno or not, with a wide receiver who is okay with losing so long as he gets his five catches per.

Nice. So we actually improve in two areas just by losing players? Idzik makes this GM'ing stuff look easy.

I remember reading that New England only had $15 million when free agency started. How do they manage Revis and this?

Julian Edelman's new deal with the Patriots has a base value of $17 million over four years.

It's a much better deal for the Pats than their five-year, $28.5 million commitment to Danny Amendola appears through one season. Amendola got $10 million guaranteed. Edelman has $8 million guaranteed, and the four-year pact has a max value of $19 million that can be reached through incentives. Amendola is locked into a roster spot for 2014, but the Patriots could save $2.1 million in salary cap space by releasing him next offseason. The Edelman deal magnifies that 2015 is a make-or-break year for Amendola in New England.

CSN Philly reports the Eagles are "listening to offers" for DeSean Jackson, and have "taken inquiries" from the 49ers and Patriots.

Per reporter Derrick Gunn, the Eagles still aren't actively shopping D-Jax, but have notified him they're "listening to potential suitors." Gunn reports the Eagles are seeking "at least" a third-round pick for their No. 1 receiver, and "potentially more." There's enough smoke here that it might eventually turn to fire, but Jackson's contract makes him a tall order to trade. Coming off a career year, Jackson is due $10.5 million in 2014, and $9.75 million each of the next two seasons.

CSN Philly reports the Eagles are "listening to offers" for DeSean Jackson, and have "taken inquiries" from the 49ers and Patriots.

Per reporter Derrick Gunn, the Eagles still aren't actively shopping D-Jax, but have notified him they're "listening to potential suitors." Gunn reports the Eagles are seeking "at least" a third-round pick for their No. 1 receiver, and "potentially more." There's enough smoke here that it might eventually turn to fire, but Jackson's contract makes him a tall order to trade. Coming off a career year, Jackson is due $10.5 million in 2014, and $9.75 million each of the next two seasons.

If the Patriots get Jackson the Jets might as well surrender and not play the 2014 season.

Giants just signed Manningham back.

#ThanksIdzik

What the **** are the Jets doing? We needed a corner, they signed 2 corners that we could have used. We need another WR, they got 1 that we could have used. We desperately need a guard, they got a quality guard at a reasonable price.

I remember reading that New England only had $15 million when free agency started. How do they manage Revis and this?

They got other players besides them too. I think they made a cut or two. But then again, so did we---and both cuts were big---and we started off with more $$$. Go figure.

Zeal ? Like wait till 3 days into FA to place a call. That some zeal the JETS showed right there!

“History shows that the teams that make the biggest splashes early in free agency frequently bottom out,” Polian said.

http://nypost.com/2014/03/18/polian-plenty-of-time-to-improve-jets/

Polian: Plenty of time to improve Jets

Panic is taking hold in many segments of the Jets fan base as each day goes by with general manager John Idzik not signing free agents.

So far, Idzik has signed just wide receiver Eric Decker, tackle Breno Giacomini and a few of the Jets’ own mid-level free agents. No splash. No spice. And for many hard-core Jets fans — no peace.
With nearly $40 million in salary cap space at the open of free agency, Jets fans expected several big names to come to Gang Green. Instead, they’ve gotten Decker and … crickets.
But should Jets fans be worried their team is doomed for a losing season after one week of free agency?
“The first thing I would say to Jets fans is relax, there’s a long way to go between now and September,” said former Bills, Panthers and Colts general manager Bill Polian, who is now an ESPN analyst. “That’s point No. 1. Secondly, there’s plenty of time to participate in the secondary free-agent market, which is very often the most efficient and advantageous. That’s still to come.”
Polian, who built six teams that went to Super Bowls, said throwing dollars at big-named players rarely solves a team’s problems.
“History shows that the teams that make the biggest splashes early in free agency frequently bottom out,” Polian said.
Idzik has drawn criticism after spending the first week shopping for bargains instead of blue chips. Agents are complaining about his deliberate approach to negotiations and fans are questioning what his plan is.
“I think with him obviously it’s very important to understand and accept what his known preferred method of operation is,” said ESPN analyst Louis Riddick, the former director of pro personnel for the Eagles. “He is known to be a very deliberate, calculated, cautious thinker. This shouldn’t surprise you that he hasn’t made any decisions that seem very quick or without a lot of thought. “
The biggest criticism of Idzik has come with his approach to the cornerback spot. After letting Antonio Cromartie go last week, the Jets have missed on Vontae Davis and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and passed on the chance to get into the bidding for Darrelle Revis.
A source said Tuesday the Jets only offered Rodgers-Cromartie a one-year deal for $6 million that included options beyond that. Rodgers-Cromartie left the Jets on Saturday and visited the Giants on Sunday. The Giants offered him a five-year $39 million contract. The representatives for Rodgers-Cromartie called the Jets to give them a chance to up their offer but told them they needed a fast answer. According to the source, Idzik took two hours to respond. By then, Rodgers-Cromartie had picked the Giants.
Agents are complaining Idzik is stubborn and won’t budge in negotiations. They also feel he does not move quickly enough.
“Agents like guys who give them a lot of money,” said former Packers front office executive and agent Andrew Brandt, who now writes for MMQB.com. “They’re very simple about it. They like the teams that hand out the easy contracts. In terms of whether he’s popular with agents I’m not sure if that’s a great gauge. The real question is: does he conduct negotiations that are professional and fair-minded in terms of the tactics?”
Idzik has been clear that he’d like to build the Jets primarily through the draft, calling it the team’s “lifeline.” The Jets expect to have 12 picks in May’s draft, plenty to address the team’s needs.
Riddick believes Idzik wants to recreate what he saw with the Seahawks, where draft picks became the core of a Super Bowl team.
“That’s what he’s trying to get to regardless of how much cap room he has,” Riddick said. “How long did it take them in Seattle, four years? So, he’s thinking hey, this is Year Two. If they really hired me to do my job and keep my philosophy, you have to be patient with my deliberate approach. Obviously that goes over a little bit better in Seattle than it does in New York.”

Reminds me of Sandy Alderson. And you see how far that's gotten the Mets... sigh...

Nice. So we actually improve in two areas just by losing players? Idzik makes this GM'ing stuff look easy.

Hold on pahtner!  SA inherited a bag of $hit hand delivered by insolvent owners.  Before he came to the Mets they probably had the worst minor league system in baseball.  Now they are among the best.  His deals brought Wheeler, TDA, and Syndergaard -- talk about making chicken $hit into chicken liver.  And we have position players knocking on the door.  WTF do you not get about rebuilding a broken organization?   

And, lest you bitch about their FA signings, SA went about it intelligently -- kind of like Idzik is trying to do -- getting value players in a FA crop that was subpar. You just cannot stand to wait for the long term results of intelligent and calculated franchise management.

Hold on pahtner!  SA inherited a bag of $hit hand delivered by insolvent owners.  Before he came to the Mets they probably had the worst minor league system in baseball.  Now they are among the best.  His deals brought Wheeler, TDA, and Syndergaard -- talk about making chicken $hit into chicken liver.  And we have position players knocking on the door.  WTF do you not get about rebuilding a broken organization?   

And, lest you bitch about their FA signings, SA went about it intelligently -- kind of like Idzik is trying to do -- getting value players in a FA crop that was subpar. You just cannot stand to wait for the long term results of intelligent and calculated franchise management.

Sandy was hand picked by Selig to make the Mets reputable again after the Wilpons raped their own organization. Selig practically begged Alderson to come out of retirement

to make the Mets a credible franchise again. NY MUST have a competitive team. It just makes baseball better all around.   

Archived