Eric Decker SIGNED - and other WR news as it hits

Integrity28

Except it doesn't because we already have Kerley for the slot and Edelman is going to miss Tom Brady more than Decker will miss Manning.

There is no reason that Edleman and Kerley can't exist on the same field at the same time. Welker and Edleman did it for a while to positive results.  

We haven't had a legit punt returner here in a long time either. 

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

20 catches with Timmy.

Exactly. In what, 11.5 games? Had that amount in the first 4 games with Orton to begin the season.

We'll see. Having not just Manning, but also Thomas being their #1 and drawing attention as such, plus Welker & Julius last year, clouds what he'd be without any of them.

Exactly. In what, 11.5 games? Had that amount in the first 4 games with Orton to begin the season.

We'll see. Having not just Manning, but also Thomas being their #1 and drawing attention as such, plus Welker & Julius last year, clouds what he'd be without any of them.

Tebow completed 46.5% of his passes in 2011.  You know what we cal someone who catches 20 passes thrown by Tebow?  A hero.  lol.....

Besides Jones and/or Edelman, this WR corp could really use a small, quick WR who can take the top off the defense or take a screen to the house.

That is going to have to come from the RB position or Kerley.

I'm still wait and see with him (other than his being an obvious upgrade to the Jets.) But even that Orton + Tebow season was year 2 of his career. Not generally a WR's career season.

For what they paid, they can afford another veteran and go into the draft with some flexibility. 

I like the signing.  Didnt break the bank, he's a big athletic target who can make big plays and still allows them to add more weapons for Geno.

Geno should be better than both next year.

I am tired of all this Manning made Decker stuff.  It is like Manning was completing passes to Decker when Decker was not even open. He had to be open to get passes from Peyton.  We are paying him to get open.  If Geno does not find him where Peyton could, that is not a knock on Eric. It does not mean Decker was a bad signing.  And to be fair to Geno, the word "suck" does not nearly describe our receiving corps last year.

I am tired of all this Manning made Decker stuff.  It is like Manning was completing passes to Decker when Decker was not even open. He had to be open to get passes from Peyton.  We are paying him to get open.  If Geno does not find him where Peyton could, that is not a knock on Eric. It does not mean Decker was a bad signing.  And to be fair to Geno, the word "suck" does not nearly describe our receiving corps last year.

This.  Its like all of a sudden he's going to forget how to run routes, get open and catch the ball because Manning isnt throwing to him.

And... Here it is:

Rich Cimini@RichCimini 1m

Quick thought: Decker a good No. 2 WR. No Peyton, no Demaryius Thomas to help him out. Jets overpaid, but needed the upgrade. #Jets

That's Stevie Johnson money--19th highest salary on a per year basis. Number 18 is Colston and number 20 is hartline. That's is nowhere near an overpay. Decker is right around where he should be, maybe even a little low.

In a vacuum I don't like this move.  I'm not a Decker fan.  Never have been.  Think he's soft in press coverage and has the dropsies.

BUT.

If we can get another FA in here at $3-4 million (Jones / Finley / maybe Sanders), AND use a 1/2 rd pick on a guy like Lee or Cooks... then I'll revisit...

what Peyton does great is find the open man.  We signed the open man

Manning's amazing and can throw people open but Decker has proven to produce with other QB's...even at the college ranks.  He's a solid player, maybe not an All-Pro but plenty of teams have done very well with less at WR than Decker.

At the end of the day, the Jets a team desperate for weapons got the consensus best WR in FA for a relative bargain.  People can worry all they want about him being the #1 option without Manning throwing to him but this is exactly what the Jets needed. 

That's Stevie Johnson money--19th highest salary on a per year basis. Number 18 is Colston and number 20 is hartline. That's is nowhere near an overpay. Decker is right around where he should be, maybe even a little low.

Totally agree, and am very happy with the deal. Just amused because as I said early on, Jets were either going to suck for letting him get away or suck for overpaying him. Just like they suck because the CB from the Bucs is now on the Pats.

In a vacuum I don't like this move. I'm not a Decker fan. Never have been. Think he's soft in press coverage and has the dropsies.

BUT.

If we can get another FA in here at $3-4 million (Jones / Finley / maybe Sanders), AND use a 1/2 rd pick on a guy like Lee or Cooks... then I'll revisit...

So you don't like decker move but if the jets sign James jones suddenly you do? Uh ok

Manning's amazing and can throw people open but Decker has proven to produce with other QB's...even at the college ranks. He's a solid player, maybe not an All-Pro but plenty of teams have done very well with less at WR than Decker.

At the end of the day, the Jets a team desperate for weapons got the consensus best WR in FA for a relative bargain. People can worry all they want about him being the #1 option without Manning throwing to him but this is exactly what the Jets needed.

It'd be great to have a Calvin Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald, but those guys have something in common... No championships. Just like most of the big name WRs in the league today and recently. I may be forgetting someone, but I think the best WR with a ring in recent history is Reggie Wayne.

So you don't like decker move but if the jets sign James jones suddenly you do? Uh ok

Is it that hard for you to compute lawyer boy? 

If we stop at Decker and are relying on him to be our #1, then this move sucks.  But if we draft Marqise Lee with an eye toward him being the franchise #1, and supplement both of those guys with another solid FA like Jones, then suddenly the corps is not only NFL caliber, but somewhat dynamic.

It'd be great to have a Calvin Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald, but those guys have something in common... No championships. Just like most of the big name WRs in the league today and recently. I may be forgetting someone, but I think the best WR with a ring in recent history is Reggie Wayne.

Pretty much.  I mean, the Giants had Nicks and Cruz...nice combo.  The Packers with Jordy and Jones, nice combo but none are All-Pro's.  The other common thing with those names, they dont see FA.

Its clear that Idzik isnt interested in over investing on one skill set or the other but rather finding solid players at great cost so he can add talent all over the field.

Is it that hard for you to compute lawyer boy? 

If we stop at Decker and are relying on him to be our #1, then this move sucks.  But if we draft Marqise Lee with an eye toward him being the franchise #1, and supplement both of those guys with another solid FA like Jones, then suddenly the corps is not only NFL caliber, but somewhat dynamic.

There is zero way, shape or form that this move sucks.  The Jets had the worst WR's in the league last season and they just signed the best FA WR on the market for a bargain.

WTF is wrong with you people?

Archived