NBCsports.com: Jets expressing interest in James Jones

BroadwayJets

Any of our recent acquisitions really have no baring on the draft, Idzik has stated that numerous times. Free agency is for need and draft is for value. Additionally, you have to remember that Kerley and Nelson are both UFAs after this season and if they are not resigned, as they may want to maximize their value, we're back down to Decker, Jones (if he signs), Hill and then a bunch of nobodies. In addition to drafting BPA, if you want elite talent at WR, you usually have to draft it, very rarely does it hit the open market.  Signing Jones wouldn't make WR as dire a need as it was before free agency, but I would still argue that it's our #1 need or at the very least a 1b or 1c. 

Clyde Gates is still under contract!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed. That's why we need Idzik, the GM Lap Band, to make sure Rex doesn't look at the whole FA menu and just say "Yes! I'll have it all!"

Yeah, if there were still any question of whether or not Idzik would be making the personnel decisions before FA they are squashed now.  

Rex would have had Revis and every other FA who was available on the D side of the ball here in a heartbeat. 

We'd have entertained Peppers, Ware, Harrison, Revis, and all the rest here within the first 48 hours.  It would have been a friggin party

Offense?  What offense?   :D

Report: Jets expressing interest in James Jones

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on March 13, 2014, 3:40 AM EDT
james-jones.jpg?w=177AP

Even before the release of Santonio Holmes, the New York Jets were in serious need of help at the wide receiver position. They made a splash by picking up the top free agent receiver on the market Wednesday night in former Denver Broncos receiver Eric Decker.

However, the Jets may not be finished adding to their receiving corps.

According to Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News, the Jets have also expressed a serious interest in former Green Bay Packers wide receiver James Jones.

Jones has put together very strong seasons for the Packers over the last two years. He caught 54 passes for 817 yards and three touchdowns for Green Bay last season after compiling 14 touchdowns in 2012.

The Jets had not yet scheduled a visit with Jones and the deal with Decker may soften the team’s interest in bringing him to New York. But with the teamfrustrated with Stephen Hill, adding Decker and Jones could be a nice boost forGeno Smith to take into his second season under center with the Jets.

And Jones will do what Pettigrew did and ask to go to the bathroom where he will call his agent and tell him what the Jets are offering. He will then call the Packers who will up that by a mil and Jones will exit out the backdoor. Just like Pettigrew. Meanwhile Woody and Iggy will sit in their offices and wonder what's taking him so long. Then they will read - like us - that Jones took GB's offer.

And Jones will do what Pettigrew did and ask to go to the bathroom where he will call his agent and tell him what the Jets are offering. He will then call the Packers who will up that by a mil and Jones will exit out the backdoor. Just like Pettigrew. Meanwhile Woody and Iggy will sit in their offices and wonder what's taking him so long. Then they will read - like us - that Jones took GB's offer.

I imagine it more of a no look pocket text like in the The Departed.

great, another fu**ing jag the idiots can put on a pedestal, until he tells our penny pinching moron gm to f-off, and heads for NE to hang with revis.

I hope freaking FA lasts 3 months cause who knows who the moron jet fans will have on a pedestal then, probably some freaking lame dude with 17 kids.

mrsryan

great, another fu**ing jag the idiots can put on a pedestal, until he tells our penny pinching moron gm to f-off, and heads for NE to hang with revis.

I hope freaking FA lasts 3 months cause who knows who the moron jet fans will have on a pedestal then, probably some freaking lame dude with 17 kids.

mrsryan

LOL, classic assmop,, but he still loves the jets, ,he's always here :)

mrsryan

Hope all well with you and yours.... just use your real 'afosomf', the name we all love :)

OK Mon ;)

Yeah, well it's really going to be painful when Marqise Lee pulls the same tactic and gets USC to pay him $1 million above the Jets offer.

Free agent James Jones told ESPN's Josina Anderson that he wants to play for the Panthers.

"I would love the opportunity to play for the Carolina Panthers," said Jones, 30. "I would love to play with Cam (Newton)." A Charlotte Observer report from last Thursday stated the Panthers are "keeping tabs" on Jones, but his market has lacked buzz since. Carolina has serious salary cap restraints as long as Greg Hardy's cap number is sitting at above $13 million. The Panthers may simply not be able to afford Jones at this point in time.

He'd be nice to have but I wouldn't be too upset if we didn't sign him. I'd be happy to go with Decker, Kerley, Nelson and a high round draft pick.

Free agent James Jones told ESPN's Josina Anderson that he wants to play for the Panthers.

"I would love the opportunity to play for the Carolina Panthers," said Jones, 30. "I would love to play with Cam (Newton)." A Charlotte Observer report from last Thursday stated the Panthers are "keeping tabs" on Jones, but his market has lacked buzz since. Carolina has serious salary cap restraints as long as Greg Hardy's cap number is sitting at above $13 million. The Panthers may simply not be able to afford Jones at this point in time.

He'd be nice to have but I wouldn't be too upset if we didn't sign him. I'd be happy to go with Decker, Kerley, Nelson and a high round draft pick.

In this draft they are much better off going with a 1 or 2 pick at WR.  Lot of good WR's

a lot depends if Jets think they will go WR in 1st round,,w/Decker and WR at 18 ,Jones money can be spent elsewhere on Jets,,If they get Jones (and now Decker) then maybe they dont need WR at 18

that is same thing I was thinking , the Jets sign a FA WR or wait for the draft , the Jets still need a OG and CB 

If the Jets go Decker and Jones, they still need a WR in Round 1.  They need to develop a guy that can be a # 1.  Because Jones and Decker are going to put up closer to 1a\2 kind of numbers here.

If the Jets go Decker and Jones, they still need a WR in Round 1.  They need to develop a guy that can be a # 1.  Because Jones and Decker are going to put up closer to 1a\2 kind of numbers here.

If the Jets sign 2 FA WR and draft a WR with 1 pick , I do not see him getting much playing time , how do you develop a WR if he does not play

If the Jets go Decker and Jones, they still need a WR in Round 1. They need to develop a guy that can be a # 1. Because Jones and Decker are going to put up closer to 1a\2 kind of numbers here.

James jones will put up a #3WR type stats while Decker would be 2a at best.

If he earns it he'll get it, he mite be a nickle. But Odell, Lee, and Cooks. Can return kicks and punts so the more you rely on them in the pass game the less returns you'll see.

Archived