Sanchez decision by Monday

Cmartin

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sanchez - still has plenty of career ahead of him, including his late-20's and early-30's when QBs are supposed to "get it"

Vick - has nothing ahead of him

As of right now, we know they can both be turnover machines. The smart business man pays $8 million for the guy with youth and a once highly-regarded ceiling attached to him. Rather than paying the $4 million or so for a veteran that carries with him no upside and a huge amount of circus.

I said it in the other thread. The Vick flirtation is just to make Sanchez appealing to fans as an alternative to the dog killer. 

Let's not forget. Sanchez won the QB battle last year before the stupid snoopy game.

Disagree on the OP premise.  I think if the Jets can't sign Vick (i hope), they will pay the 2 million bonus, then squeeze sanchez to accept a backups salary.  If he refuses they can cut him in final cuts and he would be screwed.  All of the leverage comes to the Jets.

I just don't think the media backlash will be as strong as some are predicting. If this were his first team coming back from suspension, then definitely, but he's already been in the league five years since being reinstated. I think he's a perfectly capable backup, who knows the system and by all accounts was a complete professional with Foles last year. I despise him on a personal level and don't think he's capable of starting, but as a backup, we could do worse.  I'd rather have Schaub or even Kolb, if he's recovered from the concussion, but it's certainly not going to make our team worse.

Disagree on the OP premise.  I think if the Jets can't sign Vick (i hope), they will pay the 2 million bonus, then squeeze sanchez to accept a backups salary.  If he refuses they can cut him in final cuts and he would be screwed.  All of the leverage comes to the Jets.

That doesn't seem to make much sense. Mark would have no reason to accept a pay cut as he could easily collect the bonus and find another team should he be cut, in which case the Jets just paid $2 million dollars for no reason. Idzik doesn't seem like he's in the market for hemorrhaging money.

That doesn't seem to make much sense. Mark would have no reason to accept a pay cut as he could easily collect the bonus and find another team should he be cut, in which case the Jets just paid $2 million dollars for no reason. Idzik doesn't seem like he's in the market for hemorrhaging money.

Basically. There's no decision to be made. He either renegotiates immediately or he's cut.

Sanchez - still has plenty of career ahead of him, including his late-20's and early-30's when QBs are supposed to "get it"

Vick - has nothing ahead of him

As of right now, we know they can both be turnover machines. The smart business man pays $8 million for the guy with youth and a once highly-regarded ceiling attached to him. Rather than paying the $4 million or so for a veteran that carries with him no upside and a huge amount of circus.

I said it in the other thread. The Vick flirtation is just to make Sanchez appealing to fans as an alternative to the dog killer. 

Let's not forget. Sanchez won the QB battle last year before the stupid snoopy game.

So Sanchez has about 10 years of sh*tty football ahead of him and Vick has none?  For the love of all that is green I hope we can find a third solution.

If the Jets release Sanchez the day before the season starts, there is now way anyone will pick him up at that point and pay him starter money.  He would have no time to learn a playbook.  To replace a starter due to mid season injury, maybe.  At thta point his best bet would be to restructure with the Jets at backup money.

If the Jets release Sanchez the day before the season starts, there is now way anyone will pick him up at that point and pay him starter money.  He would have no time to learn a playbook.  To replace a starter due to mid season injury, maybe.  At thta point his best bet would be to restructure with the Jets at backup money.

Every year following the draft, teams are forced to cut plenty of players in order to sign their rookie classes and those players inevitably get picked up. Sanchez will be no different.  If the Jets' pick up his $2 million bonus it means they already agreed to a restructure, there's simply no way they're picking up that bonus and then cutting him.  Idzik just converted $650k of Goodson's contract to a roster bonus so as it doesn't account against the cap, when we're already $28 million under it, I highly doubt he's going to just piss away $2 million to try to force Mark's hand.

So Sanchez has about 10 years of sh*tty football ahead of him and Vick has none?  For the love of all that is green I hope we can find a third solution.

Me too.

I just don't support the thinking "Favre helped us end the Pennington era, so Vick can help us end the Sanchez era". 

I don't want to have to spend a whole football season talking about Vick. I'd rather just hate Sanchez for another year.

Me too.

I just don't support the thinking "Favre helped us end the Pennington era, so Vick can help us end the Sanchez era". 

I don't want to have to spend a whole football season talking about Vick. I'd rather just hate Sanchez for another year

The "Butt Fumble" ended the Sanchez era.  At least it should have.  How Idzik could watch that and even think of bringing him back creates doubt. 

I still think Sanchez has something, though I'm not willing to bet 11 million to possibly ride the bench. Restructure or cut.

+1...been saying this for a while.  Re-negotiate his deal and keep him here.  Sometimes a year on the sidelines can be the best thing for a young QB, and he's better than most of what's out there.

Maybe ID thinks he can trade Sanchez after paying the bonus, therefore

getting a draft pick for 2 million, and losing a portion of sanchex's

cap hit, anything could happen as Sanchez has some value compared to

many of the guys in the draft, teams may see him as a short term solution,

with an upside. Browns are a possibility, Radiers, Texans, Minn, even

Jax and Tenn.

Every year following the draft, teams are forced to cut plenty of players in order to sign their rookie classes and those players inevitably get picked up. Sanchez will be no different.  If the Jets' pick up his $2 million bonus it means they already agreed to a restructure, there's simply no way they're picking up that bonus and then cutting him.  Idzik just converted $650k of Goodson's contract to a roster bonus so as it doesn't account against the cap, when we're already $28 million under it, I highly doubt he's going to just piss away $2 million to try to force Mark's hand.

After the draft is different than the day before the season starts.  Idzik will force Mark to re-negotiate.   He will explain this to Mark's camp before the draft, in hopes of trading him for a pick. Either that or he will keep him at a reduced salary as a backup (unlikely).  

He did the same thing with Revis.  Paid a 1M bonus to keep leverage.

Archived