So, how much cap space does the Vick/Sanchez swap save us?

Integrity28

I want to say Sanchez was due $8 million. Vick got $5 million. Net $3 million for the Montgomery Brewster fund, I guess, right?

You know, if we weren't going to spend any money in free agency, then there really wasn't any point in going through with this transaction.

It'll cost them more than $3 million dollars in PR damage control, PSL and tickets, merchandising, etc. just by bringing the circus back to town with Vick... and yeah, how ******* disturbing is it that Miami took the "circus" crown last season, and we needlessly went out this year and snatched it back.

And for what? $3 million or so in cap space, that we aren't spending?

I hate Vick on a personal level, so I definitely understand why this signing pisses a lot of people off, but wasn't Sanchez's cap hit going to be like 13 million for 2014?

I don't know bud, that's why I started the thread. I was hoping to maybe at least get a little perspective on the business side of this transaction.

I don't know bud, that's why I started the thread. I was hoping to maybe at least get a little perspective on the business side of this transaction.

His signing bonus still counts against the cap. It was spread to 1.6 mil per year over the five years of the contract. The last 4.8 is accelerated to this year's cap. So that accounts for 4.8 mil of the cap charge for him. That's about all I know.

2012: 3,250,000 1,600,000 3,003,125 7,853,125 2013: 8,250,000 1,600,000 3,003,125 12,853,125 2014: 9,000,000 1,600,000 2,500,000 13,100,000 2015: 12,500,000 1,600,000 1,500,000 15,600,000 2016: 10,750,000 1,600,000 1,500,000 13,850,000

His cap # was 13.1. I dont believe we save all of that, though...not sure. I'll try and look it up when I'm back at my computer if someone like Sperm hasn't already answered

Jason @ Over-the-Cap will probably have it up on his site in the am.

Goodnight.

His signing bonus still counts against the cap. It was spread to 1.6 mil per year over the five years of the contract. So that accounts for 4.8 mil of the cap charge for him. That's about all I know.

So roughly 8.3 saved...yeah.

Name                  Mark Sanchez

base Salary          $9,000,000
Prorated Bonus    $1,600,000

Roster Bonus       $2,000,000
Workout  Bonus   $500,000
 Cap  Number       $13,100,000
 Dead Money        $4,800,000
 Cap  Savings       $8,300,000                           

I hate Vick on a personal level, so I definitely understand why this signing pisses a lot of people off, but wasn't Sanchez's cap hit going to be like 13 million for 2014?

The Sanchez cut saves something like $8.3m on the cap but there is also around $4m or so in dead money. So you have to figure we saved at least $3.3m after signing Vick for $5m. Saving $3m while swapping for a higher quality QB (personal feelings aside) is a no-brainer. Sanchez was never going to stay here and there's not much left in terms of legitimate competition for Geno outside of Vick.

I get that people hate Vick but people are going seriously overboard on this. The fact that he's said he won't try to wear #7 and that he said Geno is the current starter are encouraging signs.

So roughly 8.3 saved...yeah.

Okay, that's much better than the $3 million I thought it was.

That said, we've barely spent anything, so like... what'd we need the money so bad for that we were willing to bring back the circus equivalent of Tebow?

That said, we've barely spent anything, so like... what'd we need the money so bad for that we were willing to bring back the circus equivalent of Tebow?

No -- sorry for getting your hopes up. 8.3 on cutting Sanchez. The net is 3.3M. It's time.

Anti.

Vick.

Militia.

Think you were right the first time.  Of the 13 million 5 million remains as dead money.   Brings it to 8.3.  Subtract Vicks 5, your at 3.3.

Don't know if the dead money counts as a hit on this year, or is spread over 2 years

Mark Sanchez was due to make $11.5 mil and that spending money will shrink down to $5 mil which Vick will make. Sanchez was sent to be accounting for $13.1 mil against the cap with $4.8 in dead money which frees up $8.3 mil in cap space. Vick at most counts $5 mil towards the cap. That figure can be lower once his contract details come out as we yet to learn whether his deal includes a signing bonus.

Cash wise Jets save $6.5 mil

Cap wise Jets save greater or equal to $3.5 mil

Mark Sanchez was due to make $11.5 mil and that spending money will shrink down to $5 mil which Vick will make. Sanchez was sent to be accounting for $13.1 mil against the cap with $4.8 in dead money which frees up $8.3 mil in cap space. Vick at most counts $5 mil towards the cap. That figure can be lower once his contract details come out as we yet to learn whether his deal includes a signing bonus.

Cash wise Jets save $6.5 mil

Cap wise Jets save greater or equal to $3.5 mil

Ninja

As for the circus part, I sincerely don't know. I can't defend this move at all.

I get the competition aspect, sure. But that could be a number of guys. The DJax factor? The Eagles will send him to whoever sends the best offer their way, he'll have no say.

Play book/system? Meh.

Just doesn't make sense. We were finally moving in a direction I liked.

I just don't see how it will be a circus. This will be his second team after spending five seasons with the Eagles. If he ends up being our backup, I don't see how having a QB who has been in this system for four seasons is the worst move for our franchise. By all accounts, whether contrived or not, he's been a model citizen and teammate, which is all I care about. If he shows up to work, is a good teammate and keeps his nose clean off the field, there's nothing circusy at all about this move.

I just don't see how it will be a circus. This will be his second team after spending five seasons with the Eagles. If he ends up being our backup, I don't see how having a QB who has been in this system for four seasons is the worst move for our franchise. By all accounts, whether contrived or not, he's been a model citizen and teammate, which is all I care about. If he shows up to work, is a good teammate and keeps his nose clean off the field, there's nothing circusy at all about this move.

Jets + polarizing athlete + QB controversy + NY media.

Simple math, bro.

http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Mark%20Sanchez&Position=QB&Team=Jets

Jets saved 8.3 mil this year, 15.6mil in 2015 (his entire cap hit for that year,  and 13.9mil in 2016. However, he would've been released in 2015 if he didn't restructure anyways, so I guess its not a bad deal to let him go this year. I do hope he gets a chance to start elsewhere. He was a team guy.

As for the circus part, I sincerely don't know. I can't defend this move at all.

I get the competition aspect, sure. But that could be a number of guys. The DJax factor? The Eagles will send him to whoever sends the best offer their way, he'll have no say.

Play book/system? Meh.

Just doesn't make sense. We were finally moving in a direction I liked.

I'm right there with you. In a vacuum, I might possibly understand why you would do it since we were cutting Sanchez regardless and needed a back-up that wasn't Garrard or Simms. But this move is more trouble than it is worth. Like, as sad as it is, he's still probably the best back-up we've had in I don't know how long, but that doesn't really justify it to me. It just alienates a large portion of the fan-base and it has no long-term benefits to us.

Simple math, bro.

I don't know about that..  I was watching the NFL network and all they talked about was how it impacts the team from a football perspective.  They pretty much universally agreed it was a good move.  ESPN didn't say squadoosh about the "controversy".

This circus nonsense will only be perpetuated on Jet boards and by rival fans looking to poke fun.  Any capable QB brought in would have gotten people talking about whether they or Geno should be the starter.

The NY media will ask their round of dog questions and move on. 

I want to say Sanchez was due $8 million. Vick got $5 million. Net $3 million for the Montgomery Brewster fund, I guess, right?

You know, if we weren't going to spend any money in free agency, then there really wasn't any point in going through with this transaction.

It'll cost them more than $3 million dollars in PR damage control, PSL and tickets, merchandising, etc. just by bringing the circus back to town with Vick... and yeah, how fucking disturbing is it that Miami took the "circus" crown last season, and we needlessly went out this year and snatched it back.

How do you figure that?  Ticket sales won't go down.  And they will sell more Vick jerseys than they will Matt Simms Jerseys (that is the spot he will end up having on the depth chart).  So where do you think the 3 million dollar loss will come from?

Edit:  I just looked, the Eagles attendance didn't go down under Vick.  So I don't see any reason to believe that will happen with the Jets.

It'll cost them more than $3 million dollars in PR damage control, PSL and tickets, merchandising, etc. just by bringing the circus back to town with Vick... and yeah, how ******* disturbing is it that Miami took the "circus" crown last season, and we needlessly went out this year and snatched it back.

We got a better player for 3 million less...statistically anyway. 

Ummmmmmmm.... where have you been all offseason when I was pointing this stuff out all the time? I said it about the Howard/Giacomini swap, so...  you're just saying the same types of things you were busy criticizing me for... what gives?

Simple math, bro.

QB controversy is bullsh*t. All offseason and even during the season, every single person was lobbying to bring in a veteran QB to compete with Geno and now that we do, it's a controversy? Give me a break. If it's Vick it's a controversy, but if it were Schaub it would be competition? The only circus atmosphere that I see is the reaction by fans. I've yet to hear anyone really mention it on any big sports networks. If this were his first team, they'd be interrupting march madness to discuss this.

He's been in the league for over 5 years since, it's not going to get the coverage you guys think it will.

QB controversy is bullshit. All offseason and even during the season, every single person was lobbying to bring in a veteran QB to compete with Geno and now that we do, it's a controversy? Give me a break. If it's Vick it's a controversy, but if it were Schaub it would be competition? The only circus atmosphere that I see is the reaction by fans. I've yet to hear anyone really mention it on any big sports networks. If this were his first team, they'd be interrupting march madness to discuss this.

He's been in the league for over 5 years since, it's not going to get the coverage you guys think it will.

Totally agree.

I don't know about that..  I was watching the NFL network and all they talked about was how it impacts the team from a football perspective.  They pretty much universally agreed it was a good move.  ESPN didn't say squadoosh about the "controversy".

This circus nonsense will only be perpetuated on Jet boards and by rival fans looking to poke fun.  Any capable QB brought in would have gotten people talking about whether they or Geno should be the starter.

Hopefully, you are right. We'll see. I'm skeptical about it, but then I don't expect Geno or Vick to be very good, so both of them sucking would be the catalyst for a media feeding frenzy... 

Either way, if Vick ends up starting I maintain that I have zero desire to see us winning games. Who knows.... Vick may be the move that finally ends the Rex era, sort of how Favre ended the Pennington era. 

Regardless, the slow-play in FA and the Vick move leave little to be excited about. I feel like I'm going to be resigned to rooting for the Jets defensive this year, and not much else.

Ummmmmmmm.... where have you been all offseason when I was pointing this stuff out all the time? I said it about the Howard/Giacomini swap, so...  you're just saying the same types of things you were busy criticizing me for... what gives?

Howard/Giancomini swap wasn't the same.

In giving up on Sanchez and opting for Vick you are basically saying "old and washed up is better than young and unfulfilled potential", it seems to go against the Idzik philosophy (or what I can make of it). 

Also, to be clear - I've been criticizing your belly-aching about us not signing everyone we possibly could with every penny we've got. I never said anything about your comments on Howard/Giaco.

QB controversy is bullsh*t. All offseason and even during the season, every single person was lobbying to bring in a veteran QB to compete with Geno and now that we do, it's a controversy? Give me a break. If it's Vick it's a controversy, but if it were Schaub it would be competition? The only circus atmosphere that I see is the reaction by fans. I've yet to hear anyone really mention it on any big sports networks. If this were his first team, they'd be interrupting march madness to discuss this.

We're talking about Jets quarterbacks. It will ALWAYS be a controversy until it's not. 

Anyway, I hope you are right - I hope it doesn't come with the sideshow. As I said to Pac, I'm just skeptical.

In theory I 100% agree, the problem is Mehta is on a mission from God to keep us a circus and it is working,.PFT is a national site and they post Mehtas TMZ gossip as fact all day long,.believe it or not Mehta is the main reason ( no longer espn ) that fans across the country still equate Jets with Circus...he needs to be shut down and squashed by our Franchise but they hold press conferences and give him more credibility

Archived