2014 World Cup - Brazil

Jetsfan80

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's certainly the best of my lifetime. Though I lived through the 1990 and 2002 Cups, so that's not saying much.

98 was my first, and that was my favorite Cup...but this one has been much more exciting up until the same point. 98 had some great knockout games though, let's hope this one has some that are just as good. Certainly possible when you look at how the rd of 16 is shaping up:

Brasil - Chile

Mexico - Holland

Uruguay - Colombia

Costa Rica - Greece

France - Nigeria

Switzerland - Argentina

Germany - Algeria (?)

and hopefully...

Belgium - USA

Not too many standout games here, other than Brasil - Chile (u can count on Chile playing their ass off), Mexico - Holland, and possibly us against a really good Belgium team....but then if everything goes as expected, you have a quarterfinal round that could feature:

France - Germany

Brazil - Colombia/Uruguay

USA - Argentina (if it happens, will be the most watched soccer game ever in this country)

and you would end up with a semi-final lineup of:

Argentina - Holland

Brazil - Germany

Should be fun.

There's been a major fallout in the Ghana squad, with two of their best players being sent home. Apparently Appiah has completely lost the dressing room and they could completely capitulate. That will probably help the US but it could mean Portugal could still be a factor if they absolutely batter what might be a disjointed team. 

There's been a major fallout in the Ghana squad, with two of their best players being sent home. Apparently Appiah has completely lost the dressing room and they could completely capitulate. That will probably help the US but it could mean Portugal could still be a factor if they absolutely batter what might be a disjointed team. 

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/28035928

World Cup 2014: Boateng and Muntari expelled by Ghana

By Ian Hughes BBC Sport

Sulley Muntari and Kevin-Prince Boateng have been expelled from Ghana's World Cup squad for alleged indiscipline.

A statement on the Ghana Football Association website  said both players had "been suspended indefinitely".

It added Boateng had used "vulgar verbal insults targeted at coach Kwesi Appiah" and said Muntari was guilty of an "unprovoked physical attack on an executive committee member".

The news comes just hours before Ghana take on Portugal on Thursday.

The Black Stars still have an outside chance of qualifying for the knockout phase of the tournament.

The Ghana FA statement said the incident involving AC Milan's Muntari took place on Tuesday and named Moses Armah, a member of the team management, as the man said to have been assaulted by the 29-year-old.

And Schalke 04 player Boateng, 27, was said by the Ghana FA to have shown "no remorse for his actions", which took place during the team's training session in Maceio on Tuesday.

Ghana's World Cup campaign has already been blighted by a dispute over players' appearance fees.

On Wednesday, the national government sent in excess of $3m (£1.8m) in a chartered plane to Brazil to pay the squad following their threat to boycott their final group match against Portugal if they did not receive their money.

To reach the last 16, Ghana need to beat Portugal and hope there is a winner of the match between Germany and United States - although the Black Stars would also need to overtake their rivals' superior goal difference.

Didn't get to watch much of the game, but it looked like they were happy to sit back and defend for long stretches.

I don't think they had much of a choice. U.S. was still tired from Manaus and Germany was really aggressive from the start. Between the field and being gassed we were very sloppy.

It was interesting when Ghana made it 1-1, and the possibility of the US getting knocked out was pretty realistic (if Ghana scored another and won 2-1). Otherwise the game by itself was awful.

Germany should win this tournament btw, they look good.

Gonna be a tough game for the US against Belgium.

It was interesting when Ghana made it 1-1, and the possibility of the US getting knocked out was pretty realistic (if Ghana scored another and won 2-1). Otherwise the game by itself was awful.

Germany should win this tournament btw, they look good.

Gonna be a tough game for the US against Belgium.

The one good thing that comes out of finishing 2nd is that we get to play Tuesday. This was a brutal 2 weeks. Brutal locations, brutal group, and a brutal travel load. I'm sure it's a much needed extra day.

Bradley is the weak link right now. Hopefully he starts playing better or is substituted by half time in the next game.

I don't think Klinnsman even has that option and that's 100% his fault. Klinnsman brought 4 guys who are capable of playing holding midfield, and the only one he can bring off is Cameron who he already benched because of how awful he was against Portugal. This is what he wanted. Keep the bench attack minded with no reliable reserves to help finish out games.

I don't think Klinnsman even has that option and that's 100% his fault. Klinnsman brought 4 guys who are capable of playing holding midfield, and the only one he can bring off is Cameron who he already benched because of how awful he was against Portugal. This is what he wanted. Keep the bench attack minded with no reliable reserves to help finish out games.

And who would substitute him...

I understand there are not many options but if one of your key players is playing so below par you have to go another direction. Maybe get a forward and  let Jermaine Jones take over Bradley's role which he was doing quite a lot during today's game.

You need another productive player on the field as the tournament goes on.

I understand there are not many options but if one of your key players is playing so below par you have to go another direction. Maybe get a forward and  let Jermaine Jones take over Bradley's role which he was doing quite a lot during today's game.

You need another productive player on the field as the tournament goes on.

But then Jones would never get forward; which is when he is most dangerous, drifting between the lines of midfield and attack. Bradley is one of a kind in our midfield, a deep lying passer and distributor. We can't replace him with anybody. I agree, he has given the ball away a million times but he does play a good pass for every 5 passes he screws up. Just gotta have faith in him, he is one of the few internationally 'proven' players we have. There is no chance of him being subbed.

Anyway, here is a hilarious article by Ann Coulter on soccer:

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/opinion/columnists/2014/06/25/coulter-growing-interest-soccer-sign-nations-moral-decay/11372137/

Stupidest sport in the world.  Not only is it the biggest bore to watch but you lose and advance?  Lets reward a team who won 1 game, tied another and lost their last game...downward progression but its cool, points and stuff make you advance.

Soccer is ******* terrible and all these fake fans are driving me crazy.  You dont give a ****.  Be honest.

The dude biting people is the only interesting thing about this sh*t bag of a sport. 

Stupidest sport in the world.  Not only is it the biggest bore to watch but you lose and advance?  Lets reward a team who won 1 game, tied another and lost their last game...downward progression but its cool, points and stuff make you advance.

Soccer is ******* terrible and all these fake fans are driving me crazy.  You dont give a ****.  Be honest.

The dude biting people is the only interesting thing about this sh*t bag of a sport. 

It got me out of work. Not going to complain.

There is one thing more annoying than T0m Shane, the anti-soccer yahoos.

I don't make fun of monster truck rallies....

Right on cue.

You stand on a plank of wood hoping you don't get eaten by a shark. Dummy.

Right on cue.

You stand on a plank of wood hoping you don't get eaten by a shark. Dummy.

Sorry.  Its a terrible sport.  I think its comical that the biggest event in the sport allows a team to advance who won, tied and lost their 3 games.  Lets reward losers.  Sweet sport, bro.  I get the magnitude and peole tuning it for that reason but now everyone is an expert who acts like they know something about the sport when the last time they watch a game was 4 years ago.

If you're a true fan, good for you.  Your sport sucks and its the biggest bore in all of the sporting world to watch but whatever floats your boat.  I'm just annoyed by it being shoved down my throat with a bunch of fake fans screaming an yelling like they give a sh*t, when they dont, at all.

I dont worry about sharks but you cant compare surfing to any other sport.  There is nothing like it, no comparison, greatest sport in the world.

Archived