2014 World Cup - Brazil

Jetsfan80

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was a penalty. Robben made the most of it as he always does but it's still a foul. He should have had one or two more as well. Ridiculously impressive win for Holland. It was probably the toughest game of all the group winners but throw in the fact that it was Mexico in a heat wave. Incredible resilience for a European team.

That penalty was clutch as ****.

Shouldn't result in a penalty kick

A foul in the box = a PK.  Every defender knows this.  It's like not calling an obvious hack in an NBA game just because it occurs in the final 20 seconds.  A foul is a foul is a foul.  Not to mention Netherlands were jobbed out of a PK earlier in the match anyways.

Tremendous effort by Mexico but this was a very fair result that Netherlands earned. 

It was a penalty. Robben made the most of it as he always does but it's still a foul. He should have had one or two more as well. Ridiculously impressive win for Holland. It was probably the toughest game of all the group winners but throw in the fact that it was Mexico in a heat wave. Incredible resilience for a European team.

That penalty was clutch as ****.

Agreed. You just don't make contact like that in the area. Though Robben has only himself to blame for the lack of fouls called on him.

He's one of the few players in the world who is on Suarez's level when it comes to theatrical dives for minimal or even zero contact. Though at least he doesn't bite.

A foul in the box = a PK. Every defender knows this. It's like not calling an obvious hack in an NBA game just because it occurs in the final 20 seconds. A foul is a foul is a foul. Not to mention Netherlands were jobbed out of a PK earlier in the match anyways.

Tremendous effort by Mexico but this was a very fair result that Netherlands earned.

Stupid silly rule imo

Kompany listed as "Doubtful" for Belgium.  Huge.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2014/06/28/belgiums-vincent-kompany-listed-as-doubtful-against-usa/

Belgium’s Vincent Kompany Listed As Doubtful Against USA

June 28, 2014 10:02 PM

451040370.jpg?w=620&h=349&crop=1

SAO PAULO (CBSLA.com/AP) — No wonder the United States is having problems scoring at the World Cup: The Americans are hardly attacking.

Jozy Altidore, the top American forward, has been sidelined since straining his left hamstring in the first half against Ghana. Klinsmann said “we are optimistic we have him being a part of the Belgium game” but didn’t go into detail on Altidore’s recovery. Altidore looked strong running laps, then stretched on the sideline under the direction of medical staff.

If Altidore plays, it would be a huge lift for the American as Belgium power defender Vincent Kompany is doubtful for Tuesday.

Coach Jurgen Klinsmann is eager for the U.S. to create more chances in Tuesday’s second-round game against Belgium.

The U.S. had just 72 attacks during three group-stage games, according to FIFA. That ranked 31st among the 32 teams, ahead of only Costa Rica’s 69.

The Americans were dead last in attacks from the left with 21 and tied for last with Iran with 29 from the center. Right back Fabian Johnson seems to be providing the spark for most forays upfield, advancing more often than left back DaMarcus Beasley.

Midfielder Graham Zusi insists the approach and attitude must change if they are to reach the quarterfinals for the first time since 2002.

“The first minutes of the game, impose yourself, step on their toes a bit, get in their face,” he said.

The Americans know they have to surge upfield more often if they hope to reach a quarterfinal against Argentina or Switzerland — a lot more often.

A day after advancing despite a 1-0 loss to Germany in rainy Recife, they worked out at Sao Paulo Futebol Clube, where the temperature on the sunny day peaked at 81 degrees (27 Celsius), 12 (6 Celsius) above normal.

They plan to fly Sunday to Salvador, another beach city on the northeast coast for the matchup against Belgium. The Red Devils, back in soccer’s showcase after a 12-year absence, have won three straight World Cup games for the first time with one-goal victories over Algeria, Russia and South Korea. And their 136 attacks are seventh overall and nearly double the American total.

While Klinsmann wants his team to play attractive, attacking soccer, it hasn’t worked out that way. The Americans had scored in eight straight World Cup games before getting shut out Thursday.

“It’s definitely something that we learned out of the Germany game. We were too deep — especially the first 20 minutes,”

Klinsmann said. “I was screaming my lungs off there to get the back line out and to move the entire unit high up the field. We will work on that in next couple days in training, to shift our entire game up forward. So that will put more pressure on the opponents and create more chances.”

The U.S. had 41 percent possession in its 2-1 win over Ghana, 48 percent in its 2-2 draw against Portugal and 37 percent versus Germany. The Americans have been outshot 54-27 in the three matches.

And this had occurred in a World Cup in which offense is up. There were an average of 2.83 goals per game in the group stage, up 35 percent from 2.10 in South Africa four years ago and the highest in the initial phase since 1958′s 3.37, according to STATS.

In the last two games, Klinsmann opted for a 4-2-3-1 formation with five midfielders to feed Clint Dempsey as the lone striker.

Thus far, the U.S. has had just four solo runs into the penalty area, in a four-way tie for 27th, and the formation frequently morphs into a 4-4-1-1.

“We have to bring up the players higher up and create chances get more support for Clint and come down the line more often on the sides,” Klinsmann said. “This is something we will work on in the next few days.”

While midfielder Michael Bradley hasn’t been at his sharpest, he was the endurance-man of the first round, leading all players with 23.6 miles (38 kilometers) covered.

“He is all over the place. The defensive work that Michael puts in is absolutely outstanding,” Klinsmann said. “We know that he can add something extra to it going forward. He also needs to help with the team by shifting higher up. If we can get Michael more into that role behind Clint, I think we are even more dangerous then. So there is more to come.”

Not sure I agree that this team has exceeded the 2002 squad.  But I've said it before and I'll say it again.  In Jurgen I trust.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/06/united-states-belgium-world-cup-jurgen-klinsmann-group-of-death

How Jurgen Klinsmann built the greatest team in U.S. soccer history

By: MIKE FOSS June 28, 201412:51 pm ET

SAO PAULO – This is Jurgen Klinsmann’s team.

It’s the one aspect of the United States national team that has been clear since Klinsmann named his 23-man roster for the World Cup. Just six players from the 2010 U.S. roster remain. Replaced with a backbone of players who have only known Klinsmann as the national team coach.

If the U.S. was going to advance out of the Group of Death, it was going to do it on Klinsmann’s terms and with his players. The terms were set, the players chosen, and now standing opposite Belgium in the second round of the tournament, it can’t be disputed that the team Jurgen built has proven itself.

He brought in forgotten talent.

Midfielder Kyle Beckerman played 10 matches for the U.S. from 2007-09. After leading Real Salt Lake to the 2009 Major League Soccer championship, Beckerman was called into the national team again in 2010. He played twice, both matches exhibitions, and was left off the 2010 World Cup roster.

If it seemed like Beckerman’s career with the national team was over after the 2010 World Cup, that’s because it was. Beckerman would be 32 in 2014. That’s hardly the age a coach would want to develop an international-caliber center midfielder for the World Cup, and with Michael Bradley already in that role there was no need for Beckerman.

Klinsmann flipped the narrative on its head, using 2011 to reintroduce Beckerman to the national team. The dreadlocked 32-year-old just finished playing what may go down as the three best games of his career against Ghana, Portugal, and Germany.

Beckerman isn’t the only player Klinsmann brought back into the fold either. Mix Diskerud, Omar Gonzalez, Graham Zusi, and Chris Wondolwoski had 11 caps between them entering 2013. Since that time, those four players have played in 66 matches for the U.S.

He developed youth.

Aron Johannsson, Matt Besler, and John Brooks hadn’t played a single match for the U.S. until 2013. Johannsson replaced an injured Jozy Altidore against Ghana, Besler has been a phenomenal anchor in the U.S. defense, and unless you were under a rock, you know it was Brooks who headed home the game-winning goal in the U.S.’s first match of this World Cup.

Klinsmann has invested in the future as much as he has brought back the forgotten past, bringing eight players under 25 to the World Cup. All but two of those players (Diskerud and Julian Green) have appeared for the U.S. in the tournament.

These eight players form a foundation Klinsmann can build upon for not only the 2018 World Cup but potentially 2022 as well.

He got rid of Landon Donovan.

It wasn’t a popular decision when Klinsmann announced it, but leaving the most decorated player in U.S. soccer history off the U.S. World Cup roster has proven sound.

There is no question that Landon Donovan is still capable of playing at the international level. There’s also little doubt that Donovan would likely have made an impact, especially in light of Altidore’s injury. However, Donovan was a hallmark of the previous decade’s World Cup campaigns, bigger than the team itself, and ran counter to the archetype Klinsmann has come to expect from his veteran players. The U.S. needed experienced players, just not that experienced player.

Klinsmann made the decision to sacrifice one for the good of many. It was a gamble, and if the U.S. had failed to escape its group you can be sure that Klinsmann’s dismissal of Donovan would have been at the center of the scrutiny.

But the gamble paid off, the U.S. advanced, and now the Donovan story isn’t even a story.

He defined his veterans.

Klinsmann has set very calculated expectations for DaMarcus Beasley, Tim Howard, Michael Bradley,  and captain Clint Dempsey. You can see it the way each player interacts with the media during and after matches. No one rocks the boat, no one steps outside the team, everyone plays a role.

Dempsey scored a goal in 30 seconds, broke his nose, and was an American hero after the opening match against Ghana. And after the press conference he was required to attend immediately following the game because he was man of the match, Dempsey didn’t speak to reporters in Brazil again until after the match against Portugal.

In Klinsmann’s eyes, there are no stars on this U.S. team, even if the rest of the world sees things differently.

He’s set the focus on himself.

In a country that is used to seeing its athletes in a 24-hour spotlight, Klinsmann has taken the attention and focused it squarely upon himself.

It may seem arrogant, but it’s a tactic often used by European coaches. The logic is that the more attention and pressure placed on the coach, the easier it is for the team to focus. It’s a strategy that has proven effective for the U.S. so far, even if it makes for a rather one-dimensional narrative.

Those are the terms Klinsmann has set forth, and as long as the U.S. keeps finding success, it’s hard to argue with any of them.

Not if its a penalty they wont.

A yellow/red is a small price to pay for stopping a sure goal, especially in the final minutes of a crucial match.  The only way to keep players from hacking in the box is the yellow/red PLUS a PK (which isn't always automatic, by the way).  

Not sure I agree that this team has exceeded the 2002 squad.  But I've said it before and I'll say it again.  In Jurgen I trust.

I think they have.

We played better teams in this World Cup than we did in 2002.

Portugal were a bit better in 2002 than they were this year - since that was their 'golden generation' - but other than that...South Korea and Poland don't really compare to clearly superior teams like this year's Germany and Ghana. We also lost to that [really crappy] Poland team. Although i do admit that silencing 60,000 Koreans is still a pretty sweet memory for me. But that was no group of death.

Mexico in the round of 16 was a challenge but we knew them really well, and again, they don't really compare to the Belgian team we will play on Tuesday; a team who have a number of guys playing their trade at some of the biggest European clubs.

Reaching QFs in 2014 would be a far better achievement if you compare the quality of the teams we faced. Even the German side that narrowly beat us in the QF wasn't that great...they were carried by Ballack, Schneider and Kahn while the remaining players were decent at best. A potential QF against Messi's Argentina will be a lot scarier.

However, there are a couple of players from the class of 2002 that i'd love to have in our current team; Tony Sanneh's power on the right. Reyna controlling the midfield in place of Bradley. A young, energetic Donovan out wide and a warrior like McBride up front.

I think they have.

We played better teams in this World Cup than we did in 2002.

Portugal were a bit better in 2002 than they were this year - since that was their 'golden generation' - but other than that...South Korea and Poland don't really compare to clearly superior teams like this year's Germany and Ghana. We also lost to that [really crappy] Poland team. Although i do admit that silencing 60,000 Koreans is still a pretty sweet memory for me. But that was no group of death.

Mexico in the round of 16 was a challenge but we knew them really well, and again, they don't really compare to the Belgian team we will play on Tuesday; a team who have a number of guys playing their trade at some of the biggest European clubs.

Reaching QFs in 2014 would be a far better achievement if you compare the quality of the teams we faced. Even the German side that narrowly beat us in the QF wasn't that great...they were carried by Ballack, Schneider and Kahn while the remaining players were decent at best. A potential QF against Messi's Argentina will be a lot scarier.

However, there are a couple of players from the class of 2002 that i'd love to have in our current team; Tony Sanneh's power on the right. Reyna controlling the midfield in place of Bradley. A young, energetic Donovan out wide and a warrior like McBride up front.

Oh I definitely agree that this squad has faced tougher competition.  If we beat Belgium this will be our greatest team by a wide margin.  

Mexico captain Marquez told reporters that Robben conceded he had dived in injury time too -- though Robben did not say that on Dutch TV.

"I spoke with him [Robben] after the match and he told me that it was not a penalty,'' Marquez said. "He said that the first foul was a penalty and that one was not called.''

Link:

http://www.espnfc.us/fifa-world-cup/story/1921912/miguel-herrera-blames-officiating-for-mexicos-loss-to-netherlandsworld-cup-exit

Mexico captain Marquez told reporters that Robben conceded he had dived in injury time too -- though Robben did not say that on Dutch TV.

"I spoke with him [Robben] after the match and he told me that it was not a penalty,'' Marquez said. "He said that the first foul was a penalty and that one was not called.''

Link:

http://www.espnfc.us/fifa-world-cup/story/1921912/miguel-herrera-blames-officiating-for-mexicos-loss-to-netherlandsworld-cup-exit

Rafa Marquez back to showing his true colors today. Nice to see him back to his old self.

I am lost on the true colors part. Dont know the player in question. Care to elaborate.

Barca trash. Spiked Cobi Jones in the ass and then head butted him in the 2002 Cup. Signed with the Red Bulls in 2010 and was one of the dirtiest players in MLS history. He's one of the main reasons why the American and Mexican teams loathe each other. And in this instance we're 100% in the right. The dude is piece of sh*t.

Barca trash. Spiked Cobi Jones in the ass and then head butted him in the 2002 Cup. Signed with the Red Bulls in 2010 and was one of the dirtiest players in MLS history. He's one of the main reasons why the American and Mexican teams loathe each other. And in this instance we're 100% in the right. The dude is piece of sh*t.

Eff that guy.

I support Mexico because its part of N. America. But now i have to do a rethink.

On a better note, I woke up to this news today:

http://www.espnfc.us/fifa-world-cup/story/1923301/jozy-altidore-hamstring-strain-trains-with-us-team-in-salvador

We had a chance without Altidore. Now it's an even bigger chance. It won't be easy for Belgium, that's for sure...i'm contemplating whether or not i should skip work.

BTW, Mexican soccer fans hate US soccer, and quite unashamedly so. Not sure why anybody that likes US soccer would support Mexico.

We had a chance without Altidore. Now it's an even bigger chance. It won't be easy for Belgium, that's for sure...i'm contemplating whether or not i should skip work.

BTW, Mexican soccer fans hate US soccer, and quite unashamedly so. Not sure why anybody that likes US soccer would support Mexico.

Listen, I think all of us here abhore Mexico. Right down to the fans who are classless trash. However the simple truth of the matter is this, the better that Concacaf does on the international stage, the more the U.S. benefits in the long run. I don't think anyone here was rooting for them to win the Cup or anything, but advancing out of their group? Sure.

And when all was said and done, hats off to them. They played a fantastic Cup and probably could have pulled a win off yesterday if Marquez wasn't stupid. **** Mexican soccer into the ground, but you have to give respect where it's due and in this instance it is.

Yeah i'll give them their props, they are a fun team to watch and represent the conference well. But i'd never want them to win a throw-in or a corner kick, let alone a game. i'll happily get behind Costa rica and honduras.

CONCACAF in general is slightly better than Asia and Africa now, which was hard to imagine 10 years ago. Africa still produces more talented players (and always will) but their teams underperform at every World Cup.

Link:

Me and the family are in France and England on vacation this week. One of the few things we can understand and watch late at night, spare Metallica at Glastonbury, is the WC.

Somewhat more respect for the athleticism. This is hard and difficult.Still not nearly enough shots on goal.

But the diving is disgraceful. If NFL or NHL guys acted like this they'd get banned. PK Subban and Cindy Crosby have nothing on these guys. 

Will never get the the idea that keeping time, something your kid's Pop Warner football, rink in house hockey, tykes lax and CYO hoops programs do  with no issue AT ALL, is IMPOSSIBLE for FIFA. SOMEBODY cannot hold down a button on a stopwatch nor post it on the scoreboard. Right.

Paris police expect riots whether Algeria wins nor loses. Like Vancouver or Detroit or Jason Kidd's house.

Archived