2014 World Cup - Brazil

Jetsfan80

If you're a true fan, good for you.  Your sport sucks and its the biggest bore in all of the sporting world to watch but whatever floats your boat.  I'm just annoyed by it being shoved down my throat with a bunch of fake fans screaming an yelling like they give a sh*t, when they dont, at all.

Everything I like is great and everything I hate is dumb! Thanks buddy. 

as for the US they made it thru and that was not a given. Really amazing job. Germany was way out of their class and one of the best teams in the tourney. Even losing 0-1 was a good result. 

people who say sub Michael Bradley are not familiar with the options to replace him. Spoiler alert: they got no one. Seriously. It would be like the Jets subbing out Mangold. 

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is one thing more annoying than T0m Shane, the anti-soccer yahoos.

I don't make fun of monster truck rallies....

It's always fascinating to me. The amount of time that people are willing to dedicate to explaining the things they don't like about soccer. As if anyone who watches cares remotely.

Everything I like is great and everything I hate is dumb! Thanks buddy.

as for the US they made it thru and that was not a given. Really amazing job. Germany was way out of their class and one of the best teams in the tourney. Even losing 0-1 was a good result.

people who say sub Michael Bradley are not familiar with the options to replace him. Spoiler alert: they got no one. Seriously. It would be like the Jets subbing out Mangold.

I've been very happy with the in-game work Klinnsman has done but his roster is making less and less sense. He went way to heavy on an attack minded bench, and watching Brad Davis out there was infuriating. Green looks like dogsh*t. Is anyone still willing to say they wouldn't have wanted Donovan out there today?

I understand there are not many options but if one of your key players is playing so below par you have to go another direction. Maybe get a forward and let Jermaine Jones take over Bradley's role which he was doing quite a lot during today's game.

You need another productive player on the field as the tournament goes on.

Jones is the fastest guy on the field. You need him being able to attack.

Sorry.  Its a terrible sport.  I think its comical that the biggest event in the sport allows a team to advance who won, tied and lost their 3 games.  Lets reward losers.  Sweet sport, bro.  I get the magnitude and peole tuning it for that reason but now everyone is an expert who acts like they know something about the sport when the last time they watch a game was 4 years ago.

If you're a true fan, good for you.  Your sport sucks and its the biggest bore in all of the sporting world to watch but whatever floats your boat.  I'm just annoyed by it being shoved down my throat with a bunch of fake fans screaming an yelling like they give a sh*t, when they dont, at all.

I dont worry about sharks but you cant compare surfing to any other sport.  There is nothing like it, no comparison, greatest sport in the world.

surfing is for pussies, rodeo is where its at.

Hardest earned loss ever.

My friends call me a jinx due to my team choices, I had on my German gear and a bottle of Black Haus. I follow the German team year round. I'm very excited they both made it out and think US can beat whoever from group h..... then not so much. I know and like all these German guys he's grabbed. You're going to love Green in 4 years

I've been very happy with the in-game work Klinnsman has done but his roster is making less and less sense. He went way to heavy on an attack minded bench, and watching Brad Davis out there was infuriating. Green looks like dogsh*t. Is anyone still willing to say they wouldn't have wanted Donovan out there today?

Brad Davis for Bedoya made sense in that Bedoya was completely gassed. They barely got a half out of him 4 days ago in the jungle game. Also Brad Davis is 32 not some kid like Julian Green. 

The Omar Gonzalez for Geoff Cameron sub was some kind of wizardry. I don't think anyone who watches this team had any faith that Omar could have that type of game today. He basically had the game of his life. Tim howard was also cash money (as usual). 

as for Landon Donovan .. he can't be a back to the goal holding striker like Jozy and he's not really a midfielder anymore. Where does he fit? 

I've seen too many "done" stars in the this WC to blast that decision. Iker Casillas? Done. Pique? Done. Gerrard? Done. Forlan against Costa Rica? Done.  

Sticking with your done guys is a recipe for disaster. As a former player, Klinsi must have hated it when coaches relied on their formerly great but actually done players too much. I can't critique the decision to not bring Donovan. Not bringing Eddie Johnson, Boyd or any kind of Altidore replacement could be a mistake however. 

It doesn't really matter. This team getting out of the group of death, should answer all second guessing. When (not if ) this team gets knocked out, there will be knuckle heads claiming that Klinsi should have brought Landon or whatever. That's bull. They aren't a world class team right now. All the German subs would be the USA's best player. That's not a recipe for winning the WC. this team has wildly exceeded expectations getting out of the group. Whatever happens after this is gravy. 

Sorry. Its a terrible sport. I think its comical that the biggest event in the sport allows a team to advance who won, tied and lost their 3 games. Lets reward losers. Sweet sport, bro. I get the magnitude and peole tuning it for that reason but now everyone is an expert who acts like they know something about the sport when the last time they watch a game was 4 years ago.

If you're a true fan, good for you. Your sport sucks and its the biggest bore in all of the sporting world to watch but whatever floats your boat. I'm just annoyed by it being shoved down my throat with a bunch of fake fans screaming an yelling like they give a sh*t, when they dont, at all.

I dont worry about sharks but you cant compare surfing to any other sport. There is nothing like it, no comparison, greatest sport in the world.

Go watch baseball

My friends call me a jinx due to my team choices, I had on my German gear and a bottle of Black Haus. I follow the German team year round. I'm very excited they both made it out and think US can beat whoever from group h..... then not so much. I know and like all these German guys he's grabbed. You're going to love Green in 4 years

I can't hate on the Germans. They play crisp and entertaining ball, don't flop, and seem like gracious dudes on the field. I have a lot of respect for how hard they came out today. They could have easily toned it down a little bit and played for the tie.

I can't hate on the Germans. They play crisp and entertaining ball, don't flop, and seem like gracious dudes on the field. I have a lot of respect for how hard they came out today. They could have easily toned it down a little bit and played for the tie.

Klinnseman was a major part of rebuilding Germany in their new exiting style, after a sad period. Jogi everyone said was the brains tactically. USA needs the guy to get excited about and bring in talent and Klinnsman is doing that.

Stop it. This is ******* idiotic and you know it.

it's hyperbole but not far off. The USMNT has 1 possibly elite player in Tim Howard. That's it. Dempsey our "star" is a great dude and all but he's not a world class player. Michael Bradley supposedly the best field player on the team, we've seen how that's working out.

The Germans have guys on their bench that would be considered our stars. They brought on Schurrle. he's better than all of the US midfielders. they have a guy on the bench who is tied for all time WC goals. Jermaine Jones is a German team reject. We are punching way above our weight class. 

it's hyperbole but not far off. The USMNT has 1 possibly elite player in Tim Howard. That's it. Dempsey our "star" is a great dude and all but he's not a world class player. Michael Bradley supposedly the best field player on the team, we've seen how that's working out.

The Germans have guys on their bench that would be considered our stars. They brought on Schurrle. he's better than all of the US midfielders. they have a guy on the bench who is tied for all time WC goals. Jermaine Jones is a German team reject. We are punching way above our weight class.

Do you just like arguing with people? I'm not disagreeing with anything you said but you're obviously just trying to piss off US soccer fans. The team is moving in a good direction under a coach I disliked when he ran Bayern and Germany but he's learned. Germany also owes a lot of it's current success to Klinnsman, he brought Jogi on board the day he got the job cause he recognizes talent. I still question his ability beyond being the hype guy but none of those German players are on this squad without his influence.

You and JiF need to go back to the main forum. Go start meaningless debates there.

But then Jones would never get forward; which is when he is most dangerous, drifting between the lines of midfield and attack. Bradley is one of a kind in our midfield, a deep lying passer and distributor. We can't replace him with anybody. I agree, he has given the ball away a million times but he does play a good pass for every 5 passes he screws up. Just gotta have faith in him, he is one of the few internationally 'proven' players we have. There is no chance of him being subbed.

Anyway, here is a hilarious article by Ann Coulter on soccer:

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/opinion/columnists/2014/06/25/coulter-growing-interest-soccer-sign-nations-moral-decay/11372137/

Jones was getting forward a lot today and not because Bradly was on the field but inspite of that.

Bradley is ineffective and we cannot have one more game on offense like we did today. We never had a shot to score a goal except in the second half stoppage time. We have to win than Bradley gets a shot the first half and if he plays like he did today than we need to go another direction.

Jones was getting forward a lot today and not because Bradly was on the field but inspite of that.

Bradley is ineffective and we cannot have one more game on offense like we did today. We never had a shot to score a goal except in the second half stoppage time. We have to win than Bradley gets a shot the first half and if he plays like he did today than we need to go another direction.

Nobody is disagreeing with you. Bradley is playing like sh*t and it would be great to go in another direction. The problem is that there's no other direction to go in based on the roster and style that the U.S. play. Literally. No other direction. Options don't exist in this instance.

Why does that matter?

Sport is not about the best team on paper, its about the best team on the field on a given day.

I think as Americans, we should know this better than most...how many times have we heard about the 'Miracle on Ice'...or those Cinderellas in March Madness. Teams punch above their weight all the time in other sports and the same happens in soccer too.

Spain probably has one of the best teams in the tournament man for man...i can't think of more than 3 Chileans that would find a place in a Spain starting lineup. We saw what happened when the two teams met, one-way traffic. Hell, look at what a team of scrubs like Costa Rica has done so far.

true, we had a sh*tty game but we were playing a team that will probably win the tournament. you lose the ball against Germany, and it could be 2 or 3 minutes before you get it back. they also defend really well. against belgium, we'll see a lot more of the ball and bradley will be key

Soccer is strange. Everyone was bummed when they tied and ecstatic when they lost. I have no idea how feelings work when they win.

Also, Jif there are plenty of NFL teams that new to win to get in the playoffs but lose and then still get in because of tiebreakers. So there goes that argument.

to be clear i was not trying to make people mad or start meaningless debates. Just talking about the talent level on the team and how a 0-1 loss against Germany is actually a respectable result.  

Other people are talking about benching Bradley, that comment makes me kinda stirred up.  Klinsi's got 1 elite GK, about 3 solid players (Demp, Bradley, Jones, 4 when Altidore is healthy) and everyone else is on a lower tier. They can't bench Bradley that was my point. He's one of a handful of guys who can play. 

this game was really all about Tim Howard 

web-ai2html-300.jpg

Why does that matter?

Sport is not about the best team on paper, its about the best team on the field on a given day.

I think as Americans, we should know this better than most...how many times have we heard about the 'Miracle on Ice'...or those Cinderellas in March Madness. Teams punch above their weight all the time in other sports and the same happens in soccer too.

Spain probably has one of the best teams in the tournament man for man...i can't think of more than 3 Chileans that would find a place in a Spain starting lineup. We saw what happened when the two teams met, one-way traffic. Hell, look at what a team of scrubs like Costa Rica has done so far.

There's also this little thing where the U.S. actually has a good team and has been playing well internationally for quite some time. Germany is most certainly a better team but it's not like we didn't belong on the field with them. They came into this Cup 13th in the world. Higher than Netherlands, France, Chile, and a few other teams that advanced. We most certainly belong in the round of 16. You'd think we're this crazy underdog of scrubs with the sh*t bit just wrote.

Soccer is strange. Everyone was bummed when they tied and ecstatic when they lost. I have no idea how feelings work when they win.

Also, Jif there are plenty of NFL teams that new to win to get in the playoffs but lose and then still get in because of tiebreakers. So there goes that argument.

The tie was more about the ending. The U.S. would not only have been in a position to win the group, but would have done so in incredibly dramatic fashion for the second game in a row. Had that game been tied for the last 20 minutes, I think people would have been satisfied. But the fact that Ronaldo tore that away from us with an amazing ball with 15 seconds to go...that sh*t just never happens.

Being happy about the loss is because we made it out. You have to remember that when the groups were announced we all thought the U.S. was dead in the water. To make it out of this group in the context of this Cup is a huge accomplishment, maybe the biggest in U.S. Soccer history. That we made it out of a group with 2nd and 4th best teams in the world, and Ghana, who has been very good in the past two Cups...it's huge. Not too long ago this was an unimaginable thing to do for the U.S.

Archived