2014 World Cup - Brazil

Jetsfan80

I wonder how much the weather is a factor for them. Bolanos is still going full steam, I think I would have dropped dead on the field by now.

I'm convinced it's a big factor.  In my WC bracket, whenever a team on our continent faced a European side, I gravitated towards picking the Western Hemisphere team.  For teams in South and Central America, these are like home games.

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Victory for Costa Rica and CONCACAF!  Excellent.  That's a signature win for our region.  People could claim that the Uruguay win was due to Suarez not being available.  But this legitimizes Costa Rica.  Italy was at full strength with Buffon back.  Surprise, b*tches.

Still pissed off the US had to score that last minute winner against Panama to let them squeak into the playoff.

And Buh bye England!

Is it fair to call our group the Group of Death anymore? Based on today I think that should go to England's group. I know they didn't play well as a team but they had a tougher opening schedule than the U.S.

Is it fair to call our group the Group of Death anymore? Based on today I think that should go to England's group. I know they didn't play well as a team but they had a tougher opening schedule than the U.S.

A lot of people where saying this before the tournament with Uruguay, England and Italy but ours got more hype cause we're in the US.. It's especially true now cause Costa Rica was an afterthought going in

I'm convinced it's a big factor. In my WC bracket, whenever a team on our continent faced a European side, I gravitated towards picking the Western Hemisphere team. For teams in South and Central America, these are like home games.

There's a reason no European team has won over here

South America and COSTA RICA are dominating right now. The only European sides that look up to par are Germany, Holland and France. And of that group I only see Germany challenging. I'm surprised how great France look. They have outstanding players, but were very fortunate to qualify and seemed to struggle to find a balance in the squad. Benzema is probably POTT so far along with Robben. 

The Args will probably step it up.

This has been an interesting group. A country that overcame an absolutely brutal dictatorship not too long ago, a country ravaged by war and floods, a country ravaged by terrorism and kidnapping, and a country that's dying to come out from under a regime that's oppressive as all hell.

And here we are, bitching about the legitimacy of Lebron's cramps.

This has been an interesting group. A country that overcame an absolutely brutal dictatorship not too long ago, a country ravaged by war and floods, a country ravaged by terrorism and kidnapping, and a country that's dying to come out from under a regime that's oppressive as all hell.

And here we are, bitching about the legitimacy of Lebron's cramps.

Welcome to America

Is that a serious question?

So FIFA makes the NBA of Tim Donaghy look like a paragon of virtue. For a sport that features almsot no scoring and keeps the clock a secret that's embarrassing. Qatar is LOVELY in the summer though.

So FIFA makes the NBA of Tim Donaghy look like a paragon of virtue. For a sport that features almsot no scoring and keeps the clock a secret that's embarrassing. Qatar is LOVELY in the summer though.

Yes FIFA is corrupt as hell. But your negativity on the sport as a whole is not welcome on the eve of one of our most important matches in our nation's history. Especially when the Cup has been incredibly entertaining and full of surprises to this point.

Qatar is lovely year round, it reminds me of Qarth.

If Germ ties and we beat Port we're in great.

We're in if we beat Portugal regardless. Im worried Ghana somehow ****ed up our World Cup again now that the Germans most likely need to play against us. Good new is of we can't beat an out of form injured Portugal now, than we don't deserve the knockout round anyway

We're in if we beat Portugal regardless. Im worried Ghana somehow ****ed up our World Cup again now that the Germans most likely need to play against us. Good new is of we can't beat an out of form injured Portugal now, than we don't deserve the knockout round anyway

Only thing that matters right now is Port, we have to at least leave with a tie.

So...

Portugal are missing Pepe, their best defender, Fabio Coentrao, their best wing-back, Hugo Almeida, their starting striker. These absences are confirmed.

Cristiano Ronaldo will be playing.

I am optimistic, but what worries me is the prospect of Portugal sitting back and forcing the US into having more possession. Our passing was terrible in the Ghana game, and if we give the ball away as often as we did on that night, they could shred us on the break. Portugal does play a bit slower than Ghana though. What worries me the most is our defenders' lack of speed on the flanks...Ghana concentrated their attacks out wide and always caused problems, so what will happen when they are up against a guy like Ronaldo?

The weather isnt great either (70% humidity)...which makes things worse

So...

Portugal are missing Pepe, their best defender, Fabio Coentrao, their best wing-back, Hugo Almeida, their starting striker. These absences are confirmed.

Cristiano Ronaldo will be playing.

I am optimistic, but what worries me is the prospect of Portugal sitting back and forcing the US into having more possession. Our passing was terrible in the Ghana game, and if we give the ball away as often as we did on that night, they could shred us on the break. Portugal does play a bit slower than Ghana though. What worries me the most is our defenders' lack of speed on the flanks...Ghana concentrated their attacks out wide and always caused problems, so what will happen when they are up against a guy like Ronaldo?

The weather isnt great either (70% humidity)...which makes things worse

I think the weather favors us. We've seen this plenty of times in Concacaf games and also in Florida. I have a feeling about Bradley today, I just can't believe he's going to play that poorly two days in a row.

The one thing about the U.S. is that they really bring their A game for games like this. Particularly when international stars are involved. I know it sounds like a narrative but it really isn't.

Archived