2014 World Cup - Brazil

Jetsfan80

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Matt, it's ok to be happy with our performance while understanding we have a fairly long ways to go to become a world power. Those aren't mutually exclusive thoughts. I choose to stay positive despite the loss. Russia 2018 is ours.

You can be positive, I'll be realistic./Uncle Frank

But Ive been watching this since 94...the improvement just isnt as strong as you're indicating. They werent close this year. Germany could have won 3, 4-0 if they didnt let up. Belgium was toying with us. Ghana was a fluky win. 

I like the coach a lot. I hope Howard can be as productive as he gets older. But they need a lot more talent. They need better athletes. There's nothing wrong with criticism...the coach is on the same page as I am here. I never understood why the big soccer fans are so defensive about the sport. We are all super critical of the Jets.

Maybe you guys can help me with some ignorant ass questions:

A. Why would an American team look slower (in terms of foot speed) than the rest of the world? Considering the kinds of athletes we consistently produce in track and football, isn't it odd that our soccer athletes are often blown away on the corners by other teams?

B. Where does Tim Howard rank as a goalie in the sport?

C. I understand the socioeconomic reasons that other nations' teams are better than us skills-wise, but how do American players fare in Euroleague, etc? Has there ever been a dominant American in international league play?

D. What happened to Freddy Adu?

A. Why would an American team look slower (in terms of foot speed) than the rest of the world? Considering the kinds of athletes we consistently produce in track and football, isn't it odd that our soccer athletes are often blown away on the corners by other teams?

C. I understand the socioeconomic reasons that other nations' teams are better than us skills-wise, but how do American players fare in Euroleague, etc? Has there ever been a dominant American in international league play?

We need SEC country kids choosing soccer at a young age. Alabama's incoming freshmen class would be the best athletes on the squad. The US needs those kids playing soccer, in competitive leagues, with European coaching at age 5 and on. Would say most of the American team group up middle class, at worst.

Soccer is a gritty sport around the world....its still too lululemon mom in the states. In my opinion.

A. They look slower sometimes because they're out of position or reacting to slow.

B. Howard is up there with the top. The one thing the US has produced is good keepers.

C. Dempsey is the best non keeper to play over seas but he came back to America so his kids could be raised here.

D. He's in the White House.

A. They aren't slow by international standards. They might look slow[er] when matched up against players that possess above average speed and exceptional close control, as we saw from some of the Belgians today.

America has the best athletes on the planet, but soccer isn't about athleticism, it's about technique and tactical awareness. Our players don't possess the kind of above average technique; i.e. ball control, footwork, touch and the overall flair that players from other soccer countries have. You can only develop those skills by playing day in and day out. I love referring to the basketball analogy. A european basketball player is competent and knows the game inside out, but he doesn't have the flair of some kid that grew up playing every day in the streets of Rucker park. An American soccer player isn't much different from a European basketball player in terms of how he learns and plays the game.

B. Pretty high, although i'm not sure i would call him world class. I'd probably put him in the top 3 in the English Premier League, but there aren't many great goalkeepers in the EPL. Might just get into a top 10 of all GKs in major European leagues, definitely in the top 20.

C. This is what i have been talking about. We've never had a superstar player that could be called 'dominant'. Dempsey had a great career, but he played most of his career for a club that was middle of the table in the EPL, never played at a powerhouse European club. Same goes for McBride, Reyna, Bocanegra, etc...and these are the best of the best. The other guys on the field play a few seasons in Europe but struggle to hold down a starting spot. On the bright side, this is big time progress and now more and more American players play in European leagues than ever before.

But for soccer to really take off, the US needs a guy that can make a huge impression at one of the big European clubs. Donovan didn't want to grind it out over there because of personal reasons.

D. Bounced around Europe for a few years, never made it anywhere. No clue where he is now. edit: just checked wikipedia, he is 'trying out' for some Norwegian club.

Howard's story is a pretty awesome one btw. Introverted kid with Tourette's from North Brunswick goes on to become keeper for Man U. If we are including goalies it is very hard to come up with anyone from the U.S. that is more accomplished on the international stage and that's including Donovan.

A. I've got a boner for Germany and wish they could fix their back 4, id take Johnson. They're awful as far as pure athletics

B. Top 30 but best american ever and its our best position

C. We suck, its about to change. There's about 30 leagues as big as the nfl or nba with soccer. I actually think the way Klinsemann is running the helps

D. Who cares? I got about 10 txts from people who heard me blow Julian green our best talent ever

Have had 2 sons 10 years apart play a variety of youth sports in NYC. Problem is even in a country of 300+ million, the best athletes will always gravitate toward basketball and football and now to a lesser extent baseball.

And when you think of Latin kids they re going to be more inclined to play baseball. Every team the boys played in baseball from the inner city was dominated by very good Dominican, PR and Mexican kids who live and breathe baseball.

Soccer is not played in the inner city; period. Basketball is king, football is right there. 

Which means soccer is mostly a white and suburban game. And even there those athletes get split up among soccer, lax and increasingly rugby. ANd hockey; odd thing in the NYC area is if your son or daughter is in youth hockey half the parents speak Russian. So another immigrant group that you would think may play soccer instead plays hockey year round.. If you think parents are whacked out about their kids making the pros in particular sport, those crazed loons have nothing on Russian hockey parents.

Probably your typical American soccer guy is Michael Bradley-upper class suburban New Jersey with dad as a coach. Unless it becomes more middle and working class, not happening. Not sure how that happens. Unless Klinsmann can find more German guys with American solider dads. 

A. Because they're just too many other attributes required to just throw out athletes, in fact it's probably more suited to lesser athletes than most American sports because it's more technical than anything else. I wouldn't say they're significantly slower, particularly without the ball. But teams will look faster when they're moving the ball quicker and when they're more accomplished at dribbling. It's not something I noticed though.

B. High. He's very highly regarded in the PL and has been consistently superb for Everton. He's redeemed himself incredibly after a tough spell at United. I think we were too quick to give up on him too. Always liked him. 

C. Dempsey was very good in the PL. Had a few top clubs interested in him after great seasons with Fulham. I don't think there's ever been a truly world class American outfield player. Except maybe Guiseppe Rossi. 

D. He said he was going to Chelsea about 5 years ago. Haven't heard from him since. 

Until the USA has kids all over throwing down jackets for goalposts to play 5 a side every day. The sport wont be on the level it us over here. It's the working class sport pretty much all over the globe. The NFL going out of existence in a few years should help. 

Have had 2 sons 10 years apart play a variety of youth sports in NYC. Problem is even in a country of 300+ million, the best athletes will always gravitate toward basketball and football and now to a lesser extent baseball.

And when you think of Latin kids they re going to be more inclined to play baseball. Every team the boys played in baseball from the inner city was dominated by very good Dominican, PR and Mexican kids who live and breathe baseball.

Soccer is not played in the inner city; period. Basketball is king, football is right there. 

Which means soccer is mostly a white and suburban game. And even there those athletes get split up among soccer, lax and increasingly rugby. ANd hockey; odd thing in the NYC area is if your son or daughter is in youth hockey half the parents speak Russian. So another immigrant group that you would think may play soccer instead plays hockey year round.. If you think parents are whacked out about their kids making the pros in particular sport, those crazed loons have nothing on Russian hockey parents.

Probably your typical American soccer guy is Michael Bradley-upper class suburban New Jersey with dad as a coach. Unless it becomes more middle and working class, not happening. Not sure how that happens. Unless Klinsmann can find more German guys with American solider dads. 

Accurate.

Thanks to the above help.

Final question: is Everton the team that I'd most enjoy following? I enjoy scrappy, working class teams that don't try and buy titles.

All the teams that win buy players in EPL. And if you want a club that actually competes for titles, it's a 4-team league between United, City, Arsenal, and Chelsea. Last time anyone else won a title was the mid-90s.

I would love to be pissed at him but he's taking that one to his death bed. He lived everyone's dream and failed miserably. Gonna be a long time and a lot of therapy.

And he's too old to be on the 2018 WC roster so no shot at redemption.

Looking ahead to 2018, looks like Jurgen has 8-10 spots to fill.  A striker to pair with Jozy, a new holding midfielder, a backup goalie to Guzan, and upgrades over guys like Bedoya and Geoff Cameron look like our biggest needs over the next 4 years.  Along with that, the development of obvious young guys Yedlin, Brooks and Green and relative "unknowns" Diserkud, Timmy Chandler and Johannson.

All the teams that win buy players in EPL. And if you want a club that actually competes for titles, it's a 4-team league between United, City, Arsenal, and Chelsea. Last time anyone else won a title was the mid-90s.

LIverpool came within a Steven Gerrard slip of winning it last year. They are in that conversation too. 

As for yesterday... I blame Wondo. I can't even hate the guy cause I know hell be thinking about it for the rest of his life. 

wondo-misses-point-blank.gif

it's really hard to win soccer games without a striker. That's kind of a requirement to winning.  

Friggin wondo. 

Thanks to the above help.

Final question: is Everton the team that I'd most enjoy following? I enjoy scrappy, working class teams that don't try and buy titles.

They are a well run team and had some great results last year. The coach (Roberto Martinez) was an 'analyst' on ESPN for the World Cup. And you can watch Tim Howard every week.

Watched the entire game.  I'd be lying if I said that last 15 minutes wasnt exciting and intense.  The first hour was a total bore but still, I was into it toward the end.  Feel bad for the Goalie.  Played his heart out the rest of the team is terrible.  Felt bad for the little black dude that couldnt win a header.  That dude Dempsey looked like he quit.  The bald dude is horrible.  The long haired guy missed a 3 foot shot by 90 yards which was more impressive than actually making the goal.

The people that I was watching it with were trying to explain to me how the US just doesnt get the game and we're way behind etc...but that doesnt make sense to me.  You play every single day since you were a kid, some of these guys play overseas, they're being coached by a supposedly some legendary German and you cant pass or control the ball?  Its weird. They looked like a frantic mess out there.

Also, why wouldnt the US just go completely conservative in the Overtime and literally not even play offense, just play defense and go to PK's?  Their Goalie was the best player on the field.  Rather have it in his hands than trust a bunch of guys who cant even pass to go win the game because every time they did get "aggressive" and send a whopping 2-3 players at the goal, Belgians would get a break away.

I agree with your post, but this statement. I think it is slowly getting there.

My kids did the same as yours to include a traveling soccer team which played against teams ranging from city kids (KC, admittedly not NYC) to suburban to small rural town teams. There are atletic kids playing and it is slowly making the US team more athletic.

Like Matt, I remember back to 94 and pretty much into the early 2000s, it always looked like adults (European team) playing kids (USofA) in any match. They were always a good head taller, bigger and faster. I think size wise we are comparable. Technical wise we have a way to go.

I believe in 15-20 years, a player of Bradley's caliber will not sniff the U.S. team. He is good, but his place on the USMNT just shows we have a way to go.

sh*t man. I think I'll be taking that one to my grave too. God dammit.

not to belabor the point too much but that game was scripted for the uS to steal it in stoppage time. Belgium were so much better and absolutely deserved to win. The only way to win it would be a last second "smash-and-grab" and sneak through. That opportunity was why Wondo was on the roster. HE's supposedly a goalscorer. Despite being not the greatest athlete or whatever. He was on the roster only for that moment. Eddie Johnson could have made that goal. A gimpy jozy could have made that goal. sh*t my grandma could make that goal. You could see it on Klinsman's face that was their moment. Wondo could have been a legend. Oh well, if ifs and buts were candy and nuts. 

I agree with your post, but this statement. I think it is slowly getting there.

My kids did the same as yours to include a traveling soccer team which played against teams ranging from city kids (KC, admittedly not NYC) to suburban to small rural town teams. There are atletic kids playing and it is slowly making the US team more athletic.

Like Matt, I remember back to 94 and pretty much into the early 2000s, it always looked like adults (European team) playing kids (USofA) in any match. They were always a good head taller, bigger and faster. I think size wise we are comparable. Technical wise we have a way to go.

I believe in 15-20 years, a player of Bradley's caliber will not sniff the U.S. team. He is good, but his place on the USMNT just shows we have a way to go.

Soccer needs to make headway in places that produce the best football and basketball players. It has a long way to go...and counting on the demise of American Football is silly...it's not happening within the next 50 years in the south.

And like Bugg alluded to- where soccer is popular the talent pool is still being thinned out by lacrosse and ice hockey.

not to belabor the point too much but that game was scripted for the uS to steal it in stoppage time. Belgium were so much better and absolutely deserved to win. The only way to win it would be a last second "smash-and-grab" and sneak through. That opportunity was why Wondo was on the roster. HE's supposedly a goalscorer. Despite being not the greatest athlete or whatever. He was on the roster only for that moment. Eddie Johnson could have made that goal. A gimpy jozy could have made that goal. sh*t my grandma could make that goal. You could see it on Klinsman's face that was their moment. Wondo could have been a legend. Oh well, if ifs and buts were candy and nuts.

Completely agree. I think the plan from the start was to get that game to kicks and the way they played it sure looked that way.

Soccer needs to make headway in places that produce the best football and basketball players. It has a long way to go...and counting on the demise of American Football is silly...it's not happening within the next 50 years in the south.

And like Bugg alluded to- where soccer is popular the talent pool is still being thinned out by lacrosse and ice hockey.

Good for Tim Howard. But kInd of hard to compete is sports where the US really does produce big time pros. Mike Trout is basically from the same part of NJ as Bradley. Brian Cushing too. And the in hockey the NY suburbs produce NHL players-Pacioretty, VanRiemsDyk,Quick. Heck, a friend's nephew, Sonny Milano of LI, was drafted in the 1st round by Columbus last week. And lax is growing like crazy. It has a pro league that is still in it's infancy thought it's really only the US and Canada. Not saying soccer will never take off, merely it's hard when the pool of athletes who might play it is so relatively limited and small and tends to have athletes pursue other sports.

A lot of it has to do with how much a kid sees a sport is being followed in the family, in the community and around the region.

The zeal which with fans were following the World Cup en masse bodes well for more kids wanting to pursue this sport which usually translates to better talent being available in future.

I see a bright future for US Soccer.

Archived