2014 World Cup - Brazil

Jetsfan80

Wow...this thread went from who cares and not enough buzz to discussion on the future of US soccer. Way to shape up a thread you all.

I'm interested to see the US get better. I enjoy watching these games. But The US soccer has turned another corner and once football dies we'll be awesome folks need to pump the brakes a bit.

The US needs to think outside the box on developing/acquiring talent and I think Klinnsman gets that.

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good for Tim Howard. But kInd of hard to compete is sports where the US really does produce big time pros. Mike Trout is basically from the same part of NJ as Bradley. Brian Cushing too. And the in hockey the NY suburbs produce NHL players-Pacioretty, VanRiemsDyk,Quick. Heck, a friend's nephew, Sonny Milano of LI, was drafted in the 1st round by Columbus last week. And lax is growing like crazy. It has a pro league that is still in it's infancy thought it's really only the US and Canada. Not saying soccer will never take off, merely it's hard when the pool of athletes who might play it is so relatively limited and small and tends to have athletes pursue other sports.

Hockey is huge in Westchester now too. It's the new in thing for the rich kids. Soccer has been available forever. It's just never caught on as the It sport in any part of the country...maybe besides the pac west.

I loathe lacrosse with a burning passion but holy sh*t its everywhere now in the northeast. My high schools baseball team is basically going under and we didn't even have a lacrosse team while I was in high school.

Wow...this thread went from who cares and not enough buzz to discussion on the future of US soccer. Way to shape up a thread you all.

Not knocking the sport. It can be a really good watch. It has some issues, but that's isn't the point. This is not to knock the game itself merely to recognize that for the US to get really competitive it has to start attracting better athletes. And it competes with other sports in the suburbs and doesn't really draw in the inner city at all. 

Another thing; competitive athletes in the US really begin to concentrate on one sport early in high school. There is pressure from youth and high school coaches to go into one sport at the expense of others. Not enough kids are choosing soccer fro the US to get great. . In part because their dads don't follow soccer and in part because no matter how long the odds(and they are all really, really long) the 4 major sports really do have career paths to becoming a pro and soccer really doesn't. Or at least more options for college scholarships, which is a huge thing with lax and rugby.

Not knocking the sport. It can be a really good watch. It has some issues, but that's isn't the point. This is not to knock the game itself merely to recognize that for the US to get really competitive it has to start attracting better athletes. And it competes with other sports in the suburbs and doesn't really draw in the inner city at all.

Another thing; competitive athletes in the US really begin to concentrate on one sport early in high school. There is pressure from youth and high school coaches to go into one sport at the expense of others. Not enough kids are choosing soccer fro the US to get great. . In part because their dads don't follow soccer and in part because no matter how long the odds(and they are all really, really long) the 4 major sports really do have career paths to becoming a pro and soccer really doesn't. Or at least more options for college scholarships, which is a huge thing with lax and rugby.

Yep. The scholarship is a huge draw. Kids get plucked in Europe before they turn 10 to go to soccer camps. Here the path is still via school.

I disagree with this. The concussion problem from a parenting standpoint is real with football. This kind of stuff takes a really long time to have an effect but it's hard to say this stuff definitively. Take this current crop of young players, that's an effect from the '94 team. 20 years is only about one generation. Another 20 years that's another full generation. I wouldn't be so quick to write any of the high school stuff in stone yet. There are some definite changes happening in American sports right now, but when you look at history they always tend to happen very slowly. Look how long it took for boxing to phase itself out in the U.S., and that was once the most popular sport in the country along with baseball and horse racing. Nowadays the U.S. produces maybe 1 or 2 legit prospects every couple of years. Things change.

Soccer has gained a lot of momentum as a spectator sport in the US. Participation I just don't sense.

Football is still immensely popular. The areas in which football participation is fluctuating are areas we've already been getting soccer players from. Soccer needs the south. How that happens- not sure.

Soccer has gained a lot of momentum as a spectator sport in the US. Participation I just don't sense.

Football is still immensely popular. The areas in which football participation is fluctuating are areas we've already been getting soccer players from. Soccer needs the south. How that happens- not sure.

Usually when there is less participation then the only way participation gains momentum once the spectator interest ignites. We have already seen that spectator spike.

One thing we forget is we are a BIG country. Look at most European nations where most nations can be compared to the size of some state in the US.

Heck even if the passion for a sport ignites in one half of the country there will be an immense talent pool to build upon.

I disagree with this. The concussion problem from a parenting standpoint is real with football. This kind of stuff takes a really long time to have an effect but it's hard to say this stuff definitively. Take this current crop of young players, that's an effect from the '94 team. 20 years is only about one generation. Another 20 years that's another full generation. I wouldn't be so quick to write any of the high school stuff in stone yet. There are some definite changes happening in American sports right now, but when you look at history they always tend to happen very slowly. Look how long it took for boxing to phase itself out in the U.S., and that was once the most popular sport in the country along with baseball and horse racing. Nowadays the U.S. produces maybe 1 or 2 legit prospects every couple of years. Things change.

There are a lot of football factory high  schools that field 45 to 60 boys on a JV team. Some of the same schools even field 35/45 boys for a freshman team. That isn't even the varsity. No other sport does that. And helmet tech gets better every year. It doesn't eliminate the concussion issue, but it can be overstated.  

I addressed that in another post. A lot of it has to do with how much a kid sees a sport is being followed in the family, in the community and around the region. With the spike in interest i see that aspect of it being addressed.

Now from a financial standpoint soccer may not be as lucrative as the other three or even four pro sports but with the spike in interest that all can change in a hurry.

I addressed that in another post. A lot of it has to do with how much a kid sees a sport is being followed in the family, in the community and around the region. With the spike in interest i see that aspect of it being addressed.

Now from a financial standpoint soccer may not be as lucrative as the other three or even four pro sports but with the spike in interest that all can change in a hurry.

From a Dad standpoint in the northeast...lacrosse has benefitted the most by far it seems. I think soccer will be next.

There are a lot of football factory high  schools that field 45 to 60 boys on a JV team. Some of the same schools even field 35/45 boys for a freshman team. That isn't even the varsity. No other sport does that. And helmet tech gets better every year. It doesn't eliminate the concussion issue, but it can be overstated.  

Sure, but what I'm saying is that you have a generation of people right now who are coming up that are going to have kids. And as the research comes out more and more, you're going to get a higher percentage of parents that don't want their kids playing football. Like I said, these things take a very long time. Decades, not years, and this is only a couple years-old thing with football and concussions. Again, it takes decades.

It's happened with every other sport that has been popular in American history, things change, and football probably isn't immune to it. Might not happen in our lifetime, but like everything else that has come and gone, eventually it won't be the thing that it is now.

Sure, but what I'm saying is that you have a generation of people right now who are coming up that are going to have kids. And as the research comes out more and more, you're going to get a higher percentage of parents that don't want their kids playing football. Like I said, these things take a very long time. Decades, not years, and this is only a couple years-old thing with football and concussions. Again, it takes decades.

It's happened with every other sport that has been popular in American history, things change, and football probably isn't immune to it. Might not happen in our lifetime, but like everything else that has come and gone, eventually it won't be the thing that it is now.

The truth is you would be better off playing football without a helmet.It would look something like rugby crossed with football.  It would be the same game but with less really violent  hitting and no use at all for  head shots. But that is not gonna change. It would be too radical. Unless the lawsuits on all levels get crazy, and that no one can really predict. 

You can point out boxing went from the #1 sport early in the 1900s to almost a non factor in 100 years time. And overtaken by MMA, which is simply a more entertaining, safe and better regulated entity. 

Soccer needs to make headway in places that produce the best football and basketball players. It has a long way to go...and counting on the demise of American Football is silly...it's not happening within the next 50 years in the south.

And like Bugg alluded to- where soccer is popular the talent pool is still being thinned out by lacrosse and ice hockey.

While I understand the youth participation numbers for football are down and the NFL will as an industry eventually plateau, the NFL is king.   There would have to be a huge culture change in the U.S. for it to be knocked down.  I do not see that happening in my lifetime.

The shrinking football participation numbers are going somewhere.  Some of those 6'1, 6'2 guys are going to make there way to soccer and eventually (way) down the road that Belgium guy Iawacu (sp?) will be muscling on a guy that can hold the position and not be over matched.

I believe we can win a World Cup in my lifetime.  It will be looked at more like the 1980 USA Hockey victory.  While it is doubtful to happen it could.

And maybe in my future grand children's lives, the steady addition of talent to USA will make them a viable threat to win every cup like the Argentina, Brazil, Germany, Italy and Spain's of the world.

Gold Cup is only 12 months away btw. It would sure be nice to see all this support continued over to that.

I wish they had more local friendlies so I could watch them live.

As soon as the clock went and after I picked up the pieces of the remote I was thinking the same thing. I can't wait for the next international tournament.

I wish they had more local friendlies so I could watch them live.

As soon as the clock went and after I picked up the pieces of the remote I was thinking the same thing. I can't wait for the next international tournament.

Copa America is in the States in 2016. It should be pretty awesome because it's the 100th anniversary. U.S. and Mexico are automatic entries with the entire Conmebol field. Definitely the biggest thing to hit U.S. soil since '94. And if I remember correctly you're in FL, and Orlando and Miami are being considered for games. With the Hispanic population in SoFla I can't imagine why they wouldn't give you guys at least a couple games. Between the Gold Cup, Copa, and the Olympics 2015 and 2016 should be great.

Copa America is in the States in 2016. It should be pretty awesome because it's the 100th anniversary. U.S. and Mexico are automatic entries with the entire Conmebol field. Definitely the biggest thing to hit U.S. soil since '94. And if I remember correctly you're in FL, and Orlando and Miami are being considered for games. With the Hispanic population in SoFla I can't imagine why they wouldn't give you guys at least a couple games. Between the Gold Cup, Copa, and the Olympics 2015 and 2016 should be great.

There's a ton of English and Irish here as well that go to pretty much anything that gives them an excuse to drink and cheer.

They did a 30 for 30 on that, The Two Escobars. Probably my favorite one of the series.

yeah I remember that one.  he must have known he was in trouble.  can't imagine the feeling he had in the pit of his stomach flying home

What an underwhelming day. France played like it was warming up for the World Cup and the refereeing in Brazil Columbia game was so remarkably lop sided. Somehow got the feeling Columbia was the better team on the field.

Germany goes to the finals.

France were my favorite team coming into this game, but i felt they were quite unlucky today. That incredible one-handed save from Neuer (who is arguably the best GK in this tournament) kept it from going to extra time. They threw on all their strikers and didn't leave anything to chance. Germany defended as well as i have ever seen them, a complete contrast from the Algeria game. France are a young side, their time will come soon...

Germany's time is now, they are peaking at the right moment and should win the whole thing.

4 consecutive World Cup semifinals, that's a seriously impressive record. 2 euro semifinals during that time as well. Its about time they win something, i'm sure they are just a wee bit more motivated than the others

Brasil just lost Neymar for the remainder of the tournament, i'd be amazed if they get past Germany.

Neymar getting injured was karma for Brazil's disgusting tactics at the start. They knew they'd get the decisions and just kicked lumps out of James Rodriguez for 90 mins, shock horror that the Colombians decided to retaliate.

Germany should be big favourites to beat them without Neymar/Silva but I still have the feeling Brazil aren't finished. Germany haven't been superb either and have been choking like dogs at this stage for years.

Hope Holland win it all. 

Archived