Vick: Geno will be 10 times better than last year

Sperm Edwards

From yesterday, but didn't see it posted. Let me know if it was.

Jets QB breakdown, Day 12: Mike Vick says Geno Smith will be '10 times better' than last year

Dom Cosentino | NJ.com By Dom Cosentino | NJ.com 
on August 05, 2014 at 4:42 PM, updated August 05, 2014 at 4:49 PM

CORTLAND, N.Y. – The Jets' quarterback competition is neither an open competition nor a controversy, no matter what the team's brass might still be might saying publicly.

Head coach Rex Ryan can keep calling it a competition, and general manager John Idzik can say all he wants that the situation isn't "tilted" toward Geno Smith, but the reality is obvious: Smith has the advantage over Michael Vick. It's Smith's job to lose, and it's been that way since organized team activities and minicamp. Vick, of all people, has had no problem making that clear.

But since neither quarterback has officially been named a starter, we're going to chart their progress until that happens.

Smith moved closer to being named the Week 1 starter Monday, when Ryan announced, to nobody's surprise, that Smith would start Thursday night's preseason opener against the Colts. Smith was also listed atop the Jets' first depth chart, released Monday.

Tuesday, Ryan said the starters would play "into the second quarter" of Thursday night's preseason opener against the Colts at MetLife Stadium, though he also said Vick would "probably" get to play at least one series with the first team.

We didn't keep stats on either quarterback during Tuesday's practice, since the team periods were walk-throughs at something less than full speed, with both the starting offense and defense squaring of against scout-team units.

Prior to Tuesday, Smith had gotten 38 of the last 40 first-team reps since camp began.

Now, where were we? Ah, yes. The breakdown:

Geno Smith

Analysis: Because it was just positional drills and a full-team walk-through on Tuesday, there wasn't much to go on. Smith did throw a beauty of a deep ball down the middle for wideout Eric Decker that went for a touchdown, and he also looked crisp in completing a couple of passes to tight end Zach Sudfeld in a red-zone drill. Smith didn't do anything ruinous, but it was also not a day when doing anything ruinous even seemed possible.

Stats (team drills): None tracked on Tuesday. Overall, Smith is 45-for-75, eight sacks, three interceptions.

Number of first-team reps: None tracked on Tuesday; 126 to date (81.3 percent)

Quote from Smith: "I don’t even know what plays are going to be called yet [for the Colts game]; we haven’t even put that in yet. Once we get everything situated and we know exactly how many plays we will play, and what plays we will be going in with, we will have a better understanding. ... We will find that out [Tuesday night], exactly how many plays we have and what is scripted for us."

Quote from Vick: "You see guys around the league around his age going out having success and doing some good things for their ballclub. I think [smith is] going to fall right into that echelon. .. He's going to do great. He's going to be 10 times better than what he was last year, and I'm looking forward to it."

Michael Vick

Analysis: See the analysis entry above for Smith. Vick, too, looked sharp in position drills. He showed great touch in delivering one throw over the middle to wideout Stephen Hill, and after a lob for Sudfeld was picked off in the end zone by cornerback Dexter McDougle in a goal-line drill, Vick could be seen going over something about the route with Sudfeld. They then ran the same play right after that, and it worked to perfection.

Stats (team drills): None tracked on Tuesday. Overall, Vick is 36-for-57, five sacks, two interceptions.

Number of first-team reps: None tracked on Tuesday; 29 to date (18.7 percent)

Quote from Vick: "I've had a couple different experiences in the preseason. The one thing you don't want to do is not take a realist approach in trying to go out there and accomplish something. When you try to just get through it, then bad things always tend to happen; for me, it's always been an injury."

Quote from Ryan: "Whether [smith] needed Mike Vick to be here or not, I’m not sure. But probably not, because I know Geno wants it in the worst way to be a great quarterback and the preparation that he did in the offseason, the things he did, but certainly with Mike Vick in there, that does push him. But they’re really good together."

If the season started today ...

Ibid. Geno Smith would be the starter.

© 2014 NJ.com. All rights reserved.

I'm not buying this.

So obvious that Woody's team of bottom-tier B-school marketing MBAs did some focus group testing and realized that Vick was bad for the brand, because dogs, and they are just giving the job to Geno to make sure the fanbase is satiated. 

I'm not buying this.

So obvious that Woody's team of bottom-tier B-school marketing MBAs did some focus group testing and realized that Vick was bad for the brand, because dogs, and they are just giving the job to Geno to make sure the fanbase is satiated. 

Yes because playing the better QB and winning more games does nothing to make the fanbase happy.  Nothing. Zero. 

Yes because playing the better QB and winning more games does nothing to make the fanbase happy.  Nothing. Zero. 

Woody doesn't want to win.

There's WAY more money in selling perpetual "hope".

Vick acting like he's not better than Geno = "hope" that we finally have a franchise QB. 

Vick starting = a huge portion of our fanbase outraged because dog killer.

It's right in front of your eyes big buddy. 

Vick acting like he's not better than Geno = "hope" that we finally have a franchise QB. 

Yes perpetual hope sells better than all that comes with winning the Superbowl.  Seahawks are suckers!!!!!!

Vick is getting 5 million dollars to carry a clip board and act humble.  

Vick was never brought here to start.  He is a back up.  Why would we start him?

I stare at food a lot.  Must have missed it.  

This is kinda silly, if Vick started and won the division let alone the super bowl hed be instantly forgiven for his dog murdering ways. Its pretty obvious that the Jet Brass is nervously optimistic about Geno so they went out and bought a plan B.

Yes perpetual hope sells better than all that comes with winning the Superbowl. Seahawks are suckers!!!!!!

Vick is getting 5 million dollars to carry a clip board and act humble.

Vick was never brought here to start. He is a back up. Why would we start him?

I stare at food a lot. Must have missed it.

Literally the last person I thought would bite.

Will Matt Simms be 10x better than last year? Someone alert me when he's not 10x worse than his Chris Simms.

Geno Smith still sucks. May be Matt Simms sucks worse even with his big arm. Simply neither you nor I nor anyone on the Jets' coaching staff really knows. Though they could now know had they taken a chance vs. one of the tomato cans they beat or the Panthers last December if perhaps they had given the guy 1 week of practice with the 1s and a start over the immortal soon to be 10 times improved 2nd round draft pick Geno Smith. I'm now told that December to remember made up for the failsuck of the first 13 weeks. And further completely discounts Smith shatting all over the field vs. the Panthers in a very winnable game against the only playoff team the Jets faced in the supposed great month. And please, look again at another typical Jets loss under Wrecks vs. a team with a decent QB; the defense hangs in there all game while to offense cannot mount a drive or 2 to make it a game. But by all means, let's go on with the pretense that beating the Browns, Raiders and Fins was grounds for freaking a Mardi Gras of contract extensions and rosy 2014 predictions.

Geno Smith still sucks. May be Matt Simms sucks worse even with his big arm. Simply neither you nor I nor anyone on the Jets' coaching staff really knows. Though they could now know had they taken a chance vs. one of the tomato cans they beat or the Panthers last December if perhaps they had given the guy 1 week of practice with the 1s and a start over the immortal soon to be 10 times improved 2nd round draft pick Geno Smith. I'm now told that December to remember made up for the failsuck of the first 13 weeks. And further completely discounts Smith shatting all over the field vs. the Panthers in a very winnable game against the only playoff team the Jets faced in the supposed great month. And please, look again at another typical Jets loss under Wrecks vs. a team with a decent QB; the defense hangs in there all game while to offense cannot mount a drive or 2 to make it a game. But by all means, let's go on with the pretense that beating the Browns, Raiders and Fins was grounds for freaking a Mardi Gras of contract extensions and rosy 2014 predictions.

I'm pretty sure the coaching staff knows.

They see all the QBs every freaking day. The QB coach and OC work with all the QBs. Unless you seriously think Ryan sucked the QB knowledge and coaching experience from out of Mornhinweg's and Lee's brains and squished them into a tangy dipping sauce for Mrs. Ryan's toes?

They know, even if you don't.

They see all the QBs every freaking day. The QB coach and OC work with all the QBs. Unless you seriously think Ryan sucked the QB knowledge and coaching experience from out of Mornhinweg's and Lee's brains and squished them into a tangy dipping sauce for Mrs. Ryan's toes?

Think when your offense is as awful as the Jets in 2013, you have to explore every option and possibility, look under every rock and grab every straw. May be I didn't see even a single practice, but I saw Geno Smith. And I saw no reason to indulge or favor him over anyone.

Buddy created a divide. It's entirely possible Rex has gone down the same path...he still seems like a glorified DC, just like his old man.

Geno Smith & Michael Vick

According to ESPN.com, veteran and (likely) back-up Quarterback Michael Vick has some high praise for incumbent starter Geno Smith at the Jets training facility in Cortland, NY. Vick said in reference to the young starter:

He’s going to be 10 times better than where he was last year, and I’m looking forward to it.

Vick is saying all the right things as a back-up QB, but there’s little doubt he wants to win the starting job. That however, is an unlikely scenario with Smith receiving roughly 80% of the snaps in training camp. Vick’s only hope of winning the job would be a complete implosion by Smith in the pre-season while playing well himself in an offense he’s familiar with and has at times, excelled in.

As far as Smith goes, he sounds confident heading in the Jets pre-season opener against the Colts on Thursday night, “Physically, I’m bigger and stronger,” and added “Ultimately, it’s about proving it on the field, going out there Thursday night and being sharp and having a good showing.”

Who do you want to be the quarterback of the NY Jets? Comment in our NY Jets message board and let us know what you think.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
L9wmnAnYyvo

View the full article

Think when your offense is as awful as the Jets in 2013, you have to explore every option and possibility, look under every rock and grab every straw. May be I didn't see even a single practice, but I saw Geno Smith. And I saw no reason to indulge or favor him over anyone.

Wonderful clichés. But ultimately meaningless beyond the catchiness because Matt Simms is still not an NFL starting QB. Probably not even a backup NFL QB. It's debatable if he's even worthy of being the backup to the backup.

I take for granted that we don't see everything the team sees in between games. They could see Simms was not an answer just like they could see Tebow wasn't. Or McElroy. Or any number of others on the Jets or around the league.

Also there is no purpose. If Simms showed he was anything what's in it for Ryan or Mornhinweg or Lee to keep him off the field? Even Idzik I'm sure would be thrilled if Simms was that guy. What's it to him if his draft pick (possibly scouted by guys he's since fired) gets beat out by the eventual starter that he also brought back to try out? He and all the coaches all benefit if the Jets have a quality starter no matter where he came from.

I can't believe folks are still talking about Simms. IMHO, Rex has already made up his mind about Boyd. Simms is a goner. I think the operative word for future QBs may not be pure running ability, but escapability. Avoiding the sack and the fumble, the deflected interception, the hurried pass. And of course, the concussion.

I can't believe folks are still talking about Simms. IMHO, Rex has already made up his mind about Boyd. Simms is a goner. I think the operative word for future QBs may not be pure running ability, but escapability. Avoiding the sack and the fumble, the deflected interception, the hurried pass. And of course, the concussion.

Just this......

I'd still talk about Simms, based on the fact that everything I've read about Boyd to this point has been absolutely horrible.  He's supposedly thrown six "interceptions" in various drills in very limited reps.  Read one clip the other day that basically said he does nothing well and does not look like an NFL player.  While that could all end up meaning nothing at the end of the day, if he doesn't get better, can they really afford to keep him around?

I'd still talk about Simms, based on the fact that everything I've read about Boyd to this point has been absolutely horrible.  He's supposedly thrown six "interceptions" in various drills in very limited reps.  Read one clip the other day that basically said he does nothing well and does not look like an NFL player.  While that could all end up meaning nothing at the end of the day, if he doesn't get better, can they really afford to keep him around?

Well if he's that bad then there isn't much point in wasting a roster spot on him. 7 WRs - absurd as that is - would be better use in this one offseason because of the sheer number of maybes we have there this summer.

The only possible purpose is if anyone really thinks there's a high probability of 2 QBs getting knocked out (happened to us with Pennington & Fiedler in '05). Even then, that one game would be the least of the team's concerns for the balance of that season. 

We'll see. This time last summer it was Simms who looked this hopeless. I vaguely remember from the JN camp reports (Shane & 39?) that Simms wasn't hitting the broad side of a barn & wasn't any sure thing to beat out McElroy. Lucky for him, McElroy got injured and then so did Sanchez.

But yeah, if Boyd is THAT bad then stash him on the PS (or not even that). If someone else scoops him up then someone else scoops him up. If we hang onto him until the last cutdown day, and particularly if he's still this bad, then it's doubtful someone else would grab him instead of the #3 they worked with and kept around all summer long. Then again, there's also a possibility that some other team tries to stash a QB on their own PS, for us to snag.

At the same time, IF Simms has improved enough - this is his 3rd summer here in a row and he was on the roster as the #2 all season long last year - to be potentially useful enough to mop up a game and not lose, then we could keep him around as the #3 as well.

Archived